Within Reach

Within Reach

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Being a single dad was never on Michael Young's agenda. Yet with the sudden loss of his wife, that's exactly the role he has. On his best days, he thinks he can handle it. On his worst... Luckily, family friend Angie Bartlett has his back, easily stepping in to help out.

Lately, though, something has changed.

Michael is noticing exactly how gorgeous Angie is, and how single...more
Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin SuperRomance #1795, 288 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Harlequin SuperRomance (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Within Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within Reach

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Jordan by Miranda KenneallyThe Vincent Boys by Abbi GlinesCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
When Friends Fall In Love
287th out of 612 books — 1,150 voters
Too Hot to Handle by Victoria DahlIt Happened One Wedding by Julie JamesSweet Release by Pamela ClareLove Irresistibly by Julie JamesThe Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle
best contemporary romance updated 2014
7th out of 61 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Within Reach is one of the best, most poignant, most beautiful contemporary romances I’ve read to date. The very nature of this story sets this up to be heartbreaking and tragic on so many levels, but it is also inspiring and hopeful and uplifting, too.

When Billie Young died, she left behind her two small children, Eva and Charlie, a devastated husband, Michael, and her best friend, Angie. The pain and the shock of her sudden death left them all reeling, but it's the loneliness and emptiness whi...more
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance

I wish I had time to fully review this to give the proper notice it so richly deserves. But since I don’t, I’ll simply say that Within Reach is a powerful, poignant, bittersweet, and satisfying read that embodies what I love so much about a great romance. I highly recommend this touching gem to all my romance-loving friends. It’s another well-written, memorable read from the talented Ms. Mayberry. 5 stars!
Mo
3.5 stars. I quite liked this one. Have read some Sarah Mayberry in the past and usually enjoy her writing. Sorry, have no time for a proper review these days.

xx
willaful
In Mayberry's last book, Her Best Worst Mistake, I thought the heroine's guilt about hooking up with the guy her best friend had dumped was overdone. This book also features a guilt-ridden heroine, but you really can't blame her, since in this case the best friend was a beloved wife who died much too young.

Angie is doing her best to fill the hole left when her friend Billie died, leaving behind a devastated husband and two young children. She and Michael had never been particularly close, but no...more
Saly
This was an excellent book about grief, about friendship and how the people left behind deal with it. When the book opens Angie is celebrating her best friend Billie's birthday with her two kids and husband and that happy picture is gone the same day, Billie dead of a heart defect.
It is ten months later then and when Angie visits the house the picture is very different, there is no joy and instead there is dust and Michael, who took time off work to help his kids and who seems to walk through a...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
Within Reach by Sarah Mayberry focuses on one of my favorite tropes in romance. A widowed hero who finds love in the most angst-ridden situation one can find and thus Within Reach by Sarah Mayberry is a superb read and delivered exactly what I wanted in the right doses.

Michael loses his wife of 6 years to an undiagnosed congenital heart defect and devastation doesn’t even begin to cover what he goes through in the process of picking up the pieces of his life as his two kids demand that he be a p...more
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
I think I have only read 1 of Sarah Mayberry's books before Within Reach and I am wondering why because it was so incredibly good. I love her style of writing.
Within Reach is hard for me to review because it was so sad to me. The entire story had this underlying sadness to it and I have to say that I cried a lot through out the book. It was a very sweet, heartwarming, emotional story with characters that I so desperately wanted to see get their HEA. I loved Michael and Angie together but it was...more
Jacob Proffitt
I made a strong emotional connection with Angie early on and warmed to Michael as he started to lift out of his grief. Nothing unreasonable, mind, I was just ready for him to be . . . done, I suppose.

As with the other book of hers that I've read, this book takes you for a strong emotional ride with evocative, lovable characters going through a rough period handling some not insignificant trials—none of which is cheap or easy. Mayberry earns the emotional connection by creating characters who jus...more
Victoria
5++ stars! A Heart felt story and an awesome read!

I fell in love with this book from page one. Sarah Mayberry is a very talented writer. In Within Reach, she weaved a wonderful story of overcoming tragedy and grief and the risking it all for love again. This book was heartbreaking, sweet and charming, and hot and steamy. If you are looking for a good romance with a great realistic story, then this is the book for you! You won't be disappointed!
Holly
What a heart-wrenching story. I love that Mayberry took the time to explore something that seems taboo in our society. I was fully entrenched in their battle between guilt and attraction. I even cried a couple of times.
steph

Now, I see why everyone reads Sarah Mayberry! First, before I begin, let me say that as a result of my friends on Goodreads, I have been meaning to read Sarah Mayberry for about 2 or 3 months now but being fickle and lazy and somewhat cheap when it comes to books, I had never gotten around to picking up one of her stories. IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN WHAT I WAS MISSING. Because this book tugged at my heartstrings and made me what to read more by her.

I loved Michael and Angie. I loved the pain t...more
Awhile back Renegade reviewed this book for us on "Clear Eyes, Full Shelves and absolutely loved it. I was cynical because 1) the cover is ridiculously bad (I know, I know... don't judge a book by its cover and all that) 2) the jacket description sounded kind of melodramatic and 2) it's a category romance and I have an aversion to them because the few I've encountered have felt formulaic.

Well, I should have listened to Renegade, because this book is really super.

I picked up Within Reach when i...more
Susan

What a beautiful, beautiful book...

If you can look past the cheesy cover, I can promise you, it's the only cheesiness you'll find here. This story about Michael (god, I love this man!), a widower, and Angie, his wife's best friend was really lovely. If you don't think too much on anything but on how great the characters were, how real their developing relationship was, how likable from start to finish every part of this book was...you'll find yourself so connected to this pair and so happy to ha...more
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
This is the first book I've read by Sarah Mayberry and I'm thoroughly convinced I need to read more from her. Soon.

In Within Reach wife and mother of two, Billie Robinson, dies suddenly at a very young age. Ten months later her husband, Michael, is still devastated and having a hard time living. Her best friend for half her life, Angie Bartlett, is grieving but trying to help Michael and the kids (Eva and Charlie) as best she can.

As Angie helps Michael emerge from the darkness where his grief h...more
Tqwana
I loved her handling of such a touchy subject. I can see how the people involved might consider it a betrayal, but I'm of the opinion that its more of a betrayal to the memory of the dead to stop living. Guilt is just the devil. Forgot where I heard that, but I believe it.
I can't really speak from the POV of a dead wife, but I'd want my spouse to move on - in an appropriate time, of course - and a year seems about right. But, can you really put a timeframe on healing or love?
And why not a best...more
becky (rtgirl)
I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of Within Reach and am so glad I didn't have to wait to read this book! This is my first experience reading anything by Sarah Mayberry and I can say I'll definitely be coming back for more.

WIthin Reach is a story that I just couldn't help but be curious about. A dear friend of mine from college died unexpectedly a couple of years ago and when her husband (also a dear friend) moved on, I just couldn't help but wonder what all he must have gone through to get t...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]

Story Appreciation = 4 Stars
Worth the Chili = 5 Stars -- [$3.82 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = Mild to Moderate
288 pages

Okay, I'm officially a book snob. I've disappointed myself. I cut my "romance reader" teeth on Halequin books and the SuperRomance was one of my favorite lines for this publisher. Many of our favorite authors started here. Sayi...more
Susan
This was one of the best Supers that I have read in a long time. The book starts with Angie at her best friend Billie's house with Billie's husband and two kids, celebrating Billie's birthday. At the end of the evening Billie collapses and dies. Ten months later, Angie is doing her best to help Michael. Both of them are still reeling from Billie's death, but Michael is still walking around in a fog and his family is suffering for it. Angie steps in and works to get Michael back to the land of th...more
Camille
Why was it just okay for me?

* I felt that Angie sacrificed too much of her self in giving and giving to Michael. I understand she was being empathetic and really cared for him and her best friend's family, but she shortchanged herself so much and allowed Michael to do the same.

* In shortchanging Angie, I agreed with Michael's assessment of himself in a rare moment of clarity: He was indeed being an asshole.

* The story is very interiorised. Most of the book is comprised of the internal thoughts a...more
Emma
Lovely book, lovely story. Definitely made my heart squeeze a good dozen times. I enjoyed the slow building of the new relationship between Michael and Angie, also enjoyed all the internal dialogues... it really made the difference between this romance and other ones. In this shorter format some authors choose action. Very often I don't really have time to connect with the characters and truly get them. Not happening here. We witness the feelings grow and evolve and morphe into sopmething comple...more
LaFleurBleue
I already read the first two chapters, that were offered for a preview at the end of another book written by Sarah Mayberry. Even though I really do not like the former-best-friend-of-a-deceased-spouse trope, I have to admit I was caught and knew I would read it.
And I do not regret that. For such a short book, respecting all Harlequin's page constraints, it sure was quite packed with emotions and worked beautifully. The characters seemed completely real, highly likable, even when they (especiall...more
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
Reviewd by: HarlequinJunkie Romance Reviews

This book made me cry tons, there is an underlying thread of sorrow attached to this book but also a big rainbow of sunshine and hope.

Death can be devastating to a family, especially when you loose the “Glue” that holds the family together. For Michael, Billie was that Glue; his beloved vibrant young wife was snatched away out of the blue leaving him distraught with sorrow and with two young children to raise.

Angie, Billie’s best friend has been a rock...more
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
This is such a true account of trying to move on from the loss of a spouse, and the ups and downs of "moving on" with your life. What if you started to grow attracted to your dead wife's best friend? This is what happens with Michael Young and Angie Bartlett, and the push and pull of emotions and feelings that they have for each other is excruciating to read. Your heart just breaks and breaks and breaks.

I truly enjoyed this upcoming release by Sarah Mayberry, and yes...It had me tearing up at l...more
Lenore Kosinski
OK, I will start this by bragging a little that I managed to develop some courage and facebook messaged the author to reveal my super fandom...and she sent an autographed copy of this book to my hotel room in Melbourne when we were through visiting. Definitely a squeal moment.

I'm not sure how to capture Sarah Mayberry's books and what they mean to me in words. She just takes characters and makes them REAL...with real situations that are hard and unexpected and heart wrenching. The dynamics betwe...more
Rebeca
{Originally reviewed on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves}

What happens when the center of your universe dies?

Scientists determine the location of black holes by watching the behavior of the matter that surround them. They’re impossible to see on their own as they suck down all light or any probes that might trace their perimeters.

Billy is at the center of Sarah Mayberry’s Within Reach, her death the black hole. She is the impetus for the plot, the invisible force that sets events in motion, but the book...more
Jaime Arkin
So I've been thinking about my rating all morning... I am giving it a solid 3.5 stars - with a lean towards 3 instead of 4. I'm struggling with that though to be honest because I truly thought this was a lovely story and well written and the the characters were well developed.

We meet both Michael and Angie at the birthday of Billie both wife to Michael and best friend to Angie. When the unthinkable happens and she dies suddenly, they are both devastated.

Angie seems to be holding it together an...more
Arlena
Author: Sarah Mayberry
Published By: Harlequin
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Within Reach" by Sarah Mayberry was a very good sweet contemporary romance... a death had happened so suddenly very early in the novel making it a sad read in the beginning, however it did take off and oh my goodness what a good read it was. This novel reads like something that could happen to any of us when death comes a calling. Michael Young has lost his wife Billie suddenly of a heart...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

I’m sure you’re tired of hearing me say how much I love Sarah Mayberry’s books, but it’s true. I love them so much, that I’m willing to read a story that revolves around my least favorite trope. Unfortunately for me, not even Ms. Mayberry could make me enjoy it.

Michael and Angie had one person in common: Billie -- his wife and her best friend. One day Billie died, and just like that their lives changed. Almost a year later, Angie is ignoring her pai...more
Becky
I really, really liked this one. I'd heard about Sarah Mayberry's books from multiple sources, saying she was a must read. I'd even picked up two of her ebooks prior to this one, but this is the first of her novels that I've actually read. Based on this experience, I'll definitely be reading the others soon!

I felt she did a wonderful job with Michael, Angie, and young Eva's grief. Their internal and external dialogue really read true to me. I liked their characters, how they dealt with each othe...more
Diah Didi
I'm loving it!
I knew Sarah Mayberry from one of my best friends who said she's a must have. I got it at first from netgalley. But just like my friend said, she's a must have, so I ordered a copy.
I have papers waiting to work on, but once I got into this book, I couldn't put it away.
It's soooo good. I love this kind of theme, it's simple, very ordinary in a way we all could experience it, sweet ... *sigh...
I couldn't hold back my tears in some pages, especially when they all went to Billie's ceme...more
  • Bring Him Home
  • Time Out
  • The Best Man
  • The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5)
  • Never Stay Past Midnight
  • Cullen's Bride (March Madness) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #914)
  • Wild Encounter
  • Edge of Survival
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • An Inconvenient Affair (The Alpha Brotherhood, #1)
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Don't Look Back
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • Ashes and Wine
  • Heart Signs
  • The Bro-Magnet (Nice Guy, #1)
  • Breaking The Rules (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #587)
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...
Her Best Worst Mistake The Other Side of Us Anything for You Her Best Friend Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)

“She ate toast in bed, then reread a favorite book, taking comfort from a story where she knew the outcome would be good and just and right.” 14 likes
“He wasn’t sure who moved first, her or him. There was the thunk of her bag sliding down her arm to hit the floor, followed by the muted clank of her keys a split-second later, then he was pulling her into his arms and she was lifting her face to kiss him.
She tasted of salt and fresh air and life and he spread his hands across the small of her back and pulled her closer, need an urgent tattoo drumming through his blood. She felt so good, so strong and supple, and they fit together perfectly.”
2 likes