Start by marking “Never Stay Past Midnight” as Want to Read:
Never Stay Past Midnight

Never Stay Past Midnight

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  52 reviews
"You are so wrong for me."

Levi had to agree--he was. He was leaving Chicago in a few short weeks. He didn't do commitment--ever. But everything about this night, this girl, was so good. So right. Until at 11:59 p.m. she got out of his bed, got dressed and left!

What had he done? Things had hardly started and she was off! Yet he was bored with simpering women he couldn't get
Published August 7th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Never Stay Past Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Stay Past Midnight

Suzie Quint
I do enjoy Mira Lyn Kelly's books. I like the way her characters fall in love. I never have to wonder what the hero/heroine sees in their partner because the two always mesh so well together. Of course, when they have to face the choice between being together and everything else each of them has been working for, they both have to figure out what their true priorities are. The only downside to finishing a new book by Ms. Kelly is that I now have to wait for the next one. *sigh* Maybe I'll just g ...more
Ridley
This author's books are consistently enjoyable for me (Wild Fling or a Wedding Ring? even got a rare 5* review from me) so a $2.99 price point is enough to get me to buy without so much as a glance at the blurb or the reviews.

This one would have been another 5* book, but things went a bit limp towards the end like the author realized she was running too close to her word limit and had to tie everything up fast. And the epilogue gave me cavities and a stomachache.

I'll write more later. It's defi
Saly
I've read the previous HP's by this author & enjoyed the heck out of them, this one didn't work for me much. A one night stand that turns into a bit more. The heroine has parental issues and the hero has parental baggage. Heroine is the commitment sort while the hero is all about moving on.
RLA
I was looking forward to this book, I have read all of Mira Lyn Kelly's books and enjoyed them and this is the first I picked to read from the newly relaunched RIVA line.

If I had to pick one phrase to describe this book (and indeed all of Mira Lyn Kelly's books) then it would be "twenty-first century", through and through her books are modern and up to date. This author's voice is perfect for her contemporary stories and they very much appeal to me.

Everything about this story feels real; the her
HєllyBєlly
“Elise…you’re looking up my shorts.”
“What? No,” she gasped, shocked. First, in hearing her name, which confirmed her rescuer’s identity, and then, because—oh, God—she totally was! Only it wasn’t some creepy, salacious leer. Not really.

This was an engrossing and fast read about two hard-working dedicated people with their own respective family history - and who doesn't - (view spoiler) falling into lust and then love.

If I
Dalia
A very steamy & emotional read
Usually I don't care for the one night stand, I don't like it when the heroine jump into bed with the hero seconds after meeting him. But in this book, it s well executed.

Elise is a delightful heroine. She is sweet & gentle, she has dreams & works hard to achieve them. Her interaction with her sister, her nephew & the dog Bruno, is funny & heart- warming. Levi is a damaged hero who think he isn't a good guy, Elise & the reader know better.

One
Jane Stewart
It was nice, but I would not recommend it unless you’re a Harlequin fan. I skimmed a couple sex scenes.

Sarah Wendell recommended this during one of her podcasts. This book is not for me, but I can see the draw for some. I’m always hesitant to read Harlequin. They hire authors to churn out books at a fast pace and limit pages per book. It stifles creativity - in my opinion. I’d rather read authors who are not required to write multiple books per year. This was ok, but it was easy to put down. And
Kala
I've gotten a little disenfranchised with Harlequin lately. I used to be absolutely in love with their Presents and Desire category romances back in the 90's. The stories were always wonderful and while there might have been a few authors here and there I didn't like as much, I pretty much knew I would enjoy the majority of what they put out. These days, I am just sick of the sheikh billionaire baby stories with god awful heroes who are overly macho and borderline abusive in their controlling be ...more
Vashti
Enjoyable read by MLK.This was a cute,emotional read.Loved the H/h .The epilogue was great,gotta love a man who is so into his wife and family.His proudness is showing of the "pregnancy stick" was so cute.
Romancing the Book
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Desere
Review Copy Provided by the Author

I have long been a fan of Mira’s books as they are always filled with little surprises that spice up the plot. In Never Stay Past Midnight, the author had me laughing out loud at the antics of the ever lovable Great Dane, having two Great Danes myself I could relate to the hilarious things these type of dogs get up to.

The dog was also the star of the show as he is ultimately was brings Elise and Levi back toge
W.
Wow! This is possibly my favourite Harlequin Presents. The hero and heroine are both likeable and down to Earth individuals whose personalities remain consistent throughout the novel. The plot is tight without being contrived and is actually somewhat believable (unlike the most majority of Presents). Like a typical Presents, there is the (view spoiler), but Mira Lyn Kelly managed to avoid most cliches, such as the return of an ex-boyfriend who makes the hero jeal ...more
Lindy
What a great book! I have to admit, I don't usually expect much from category romances beyond a bit of fluff (at best). This was definitely an exception. The depth of emotion was amazing, and somehow the author took one of my least favorite plots (one night stand, both are avoiding any kind of real relationship) and made it really work. This was a steamy page turner, and I definitely recommend it.

I received a free copy as part of the Goodreads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review
Michele Hauf
Now this was a fun, sexy story! It's a quick read, and that's good because you just don't want to put this one down. Hero and heroine are engaging and have real problems that Miss Kelly weaves in so deftly and heart-wrenchingly. And the big dog! So much happening in this story, and all of it interesting and despite both characters wanting to keep things to a 'one night stand' you'll cross your fingers that will never happen.
Lyndi
The title makes it sound like Elise is a one-night-stand only kinda girl and that her steadfast rule is to never stay past midnight. That's not accurate at all. She wants a commitment and Levi should be the one with the 'never stay past midnight' rule. I dunno where this title came from, but it was slightly misleading.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed this book. The epilogue was poorly written - it seemed like Mira Lyn Kelly just tried to throw in as much as possible and make it seem natural, bu
Lil
I read a lot of Harlequin books. Romance, Presents, Superromance, Historical, Blaze. My mother collected them from the time I was a small child (and she taught me to read when I was 2), so I've always been around them. I have my own huge library of them. They started me on the road to reading romance, way back when.

Mira Lyn Kelly's "Never Stay Past Midnight" has to be one of (if not THE) most perfect Harlequins I have ever read.

Two people, each at a point in their lives where they are neither lo
Kate
I was lucky enough to win this book from a giveaway run by Mills & Boon. I admit that I’ve never actually read a Mills & Boon book but I have heard lots about them so I was definitely intrigued.

The prologue was interesting, it was refreshing to see the shoe on the other foot – the woman running out and leaving the man after a passionate evening – this fact alone made it different to other books that I’ve read.

The storyline featured lots of sexual scenes throughout the first half and unfo
Viviana Izzo
Review posted at Viviana, Enchantress of Books

Imagine my surprise when I checked out the Goodreads Giveaway section and selected to sort through the ones I’ve entered by “won”. I actually won something!! Yippeee!! I won this book!! Bonus, I got the opportunity to discover a new author.

When something so wrong can truly be something so right but also needed, you get a great story. Mira created great, smart and funny characters that you couldn’t help but fall for.

It was supposed to have been only
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)

But then the one-night-stand turns into a no-strings-attached affair, in theory only getting together every once in a while, wh
Hilly
I can't give it stars, because I barely can recall it!

For my own reference (because it's not in the synopsis):
> Levi is a nightclub owner who moves on to the next club once the current one is up and running. His mother was an alcoholic whom he's been taking care of but is otherwise estranged from.
> Elise works shifts (gym, waitress, wherever). Her sister & brother-in-law are nice folks, but she can be put upon by them at their convenience. They can call on her to care for their son or
Mem
Harlequin Presents Extra 211, Aug 2012---It was never supposed to be more than a one-night stand: an exception for Elise, normal MO for Levi. Anything more would never work: Elise is in the middle of setting up her own business, and just has no time for a relationship, while Levi's career involves setting up nightclubs and selling them on after a few months, after which he moves to another city to start again.
T.L. Schaefer
I really enjoyed this one, more than I thought I would, to be honest. Both Elise and Levi were normal folks, with pretty normal problems, which was a really nice change from some of the heroes and heroines I've read about recently.

The sex is super-hot, but even more compelling was the emotional component. I *felt* the emotions of these characters, ached for them, laughed with them. Moreso than any book I've read recently, so I'll definitely be looking for more of Kelly's books.

My only quibble wa
Roub
this is a very different kind of read. i think harlequin books r now acquiring a new maturity level. this was more intense, serious than the usual ones. it did not sound like a presents type though more like a desire or blaze. presents usually include a virgin heroine, some misunderstandings, angst, love/hate relationships. this one was more abt 2 people coming together 4 sex. their 1st night 2geva was AMAZING wid a capital A. they did it 3 times, from the bedroom 2 levi's car n finally against ...more
Karen
I like a mature relationship romance without mind game angst or holding money over their women with sexual deviationism. its rather refreshing to the palate. thanks.
Elizabeth
One of the better Harlequin Presents novels that I’ve read. Neither our hero or heroine are looking for a long term relationship. When they fall into bed with each other, they expect it to be a one time thing, but then a large dog interferes (really, it’s an integral part of the story).

They both learn about themselves and to care for each other as the story develops. (And of course, I didn’t write review right away so don’t have the details).

At times, the language needed better editing but an
Ann
Im not into the plot
Karla
This is one of the better category romances that I've read between two characters who seemed to be all wrong for each other. I enjoyed how they both intended their relationship to be brief but just couldn't stay away from each other. I love romances set in cities (Chicago in this case. I also really appreciated the hero who is a successful businessman, (it is a Harlequin Presents, after all) but because of his job as a night club owner, he comes across as middle class rather than corporate billi ...more
Lenore Kosinski
OK, I'll admit that this book surprised me with how much I liked it...I don't know why I was worried I wouldn't, but it didn't come to pass. The chemistry between Elise and Levi was smoking....lots of hotness in this one. But there was also so much more to their relationship, and it worked in such a way that I was happy with...it didn't seem unreasonable. I will admit, that while part of me ate up the sweetness of the epilogue, another teeny part almost went into sugarshock. :)
Melissa Maxwell
Oh I loved this book. Levi and Elise are on paper the wrong people for the other but their hearts disagree. Elise just want a one night stand but trying to leave before midnight fails and brings about more fun. When they meet up again the chemistry is undeniable. It keeps developing into more to the point were the other feels they need to be with the other. I loved the ending.
Deanna
Aug 29, 2012 Deanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance readers everywhere...
Loved this book from start to finish. The characters rang so true, the storyline so plausible and the journey so great. I just finished the book and already I want to read it again, the characterization was that good. This is a book you NEED to read. Also....where can I find myself a Levi? Flawed, but so dang amazing. Just the way I like my heroes to be.
Lori
I really enjoyed reading this book and getting to know Elise. She was a breath of fresh air and very relatable. There were definitely laugh out loud moments from the very beginning and once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I look forward to reading more work from this author.
  • All They Need
  • The Man She Loves To Hate (The Eligible Bachelors, #1)
  • Playing the Greek's Game (What His Money Can't Buy #2)
  • The Petrov Proposal  (Forrester #2)
  • Waking Up in the Wrong Bed
  • A Night of No Return (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #1)
  • The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8)
  • Undone by His Touch
  • In Bed with the Boss
  • A Night of Living Dangerously (Mills & Boon Modern)
  • In Bed with a Stranger (The Fitzroy Legacy #2)
  • Captive but Forbidden
  • Deserving of His Diamonds?
  • The Secrets She Carried
  • The Man Behind the Scars
USA Today bestselling author Mira Lyn Kelly grew up in the Chicago area and earned her degree in Fine Arts from Loyola University. She met the love of her life while studying abroad in Rome, Italy, only to discover he’d been living right around the corner from her back home. Having spent her twenties working and playing in the Windy City, she’s now settled with her husband in rural Minnesota, wher ...more
More about Mira Lyn Kelly...
Waking Up Married Waking Up Pregnant Once is Never Enough The S Before Ex Truth or Dare (Dare to Love, #1)