A Cat Was Involved: A Chet and Bernie Mystery eShort Story

A Cat Was Involved: A Chet and Bernie Mystery eShort Story (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Spencer Quinn's first original e-short story reveals how everyone's favorite detective duo (Chet the Dog and P.I. Bernie Little) came to meet before their first big case in Dog On It.

As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet's dog...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Atria Books (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Cat Was Involved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cat Was Involved

Red Rover by T.  HammondRed Rover by T.  HammondA Cat Was Involved by Spencer QuinnColor Blind by T.  HammondWalking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe
Humorous Paranormal Canine
3rd out of 17 books — 30 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronLost And Found by Amy ShojaiRoam by Alan LazarOne Good Dog by Susan  Wilson
Dog's Eye View
18th out of 100 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Spencer Quinn’s first original e-short story reveals how everyone’s favorite detective duo—Chet the Dog and P.I. Bernie Little—came to meet before their first big case in Dog On It.As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet’s doggy brain). All we know is that Chet had been the best leaper in his K-9 class, but for...more
Jami
I loved this prequel! Of course, Chet is one of my favorite characters anyway. The only small odd thing was the ex-wife; in the books, Chet is clear that Bernie and the wife are together when Chet first joined the household, but at the time this book starts, the ex is already an ex. No matter, minor detail, I still loved it. It was certainly odd having a story where Chet isn't yet worried about finances! This was also my first foray into the world of ibooks, which was an experience unto itself!
Patti
Joanne Moyer
A short story prequel to Dog On It that tells us how Bernie and Chet met and explains the mystery as to why Chet never graduated from K-9 school. Amusing, fun and recommended
Candice
In the other Chet and Bernie books that I've read, Chet alludes to what happened on the day he flunked out of K-9 school and the day he met Bernie. It's nice to have that fleshed out, and it was as entertaining as all the books in the series. I liked the way Chet was drawn to Bernie from the moment he smelled him. They make a great team! Hawaiian shirts also figure in the story.
Pattianne
A CAT WAS INVOLVED - A CHET AND BERNIE STORY #0.5

As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet’s doggy brain). All we know is that Chet had been the best leaper in his K-9 class,...more
Michelle
Great quick read. Cute story seen from the viewpoint of a dog. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Lis Carey
Fans of Chet and Bernie will know that Chet often mentions, but never fully explains, how he flunked out of police dog school on the very last day, the very last test, the leaping test, his best thing--and all because of a cat.

This is that story.

It's also Chet's first meeting with Bernie, and recruitment into the Little Detective Agency. The two soft-as-mush tough guys begin to get acquainted, and start to learn how to work together.

If you're a fan of Chet and Bernie, this is a sweet, charming a...more
Steve
Chet, the German Shepherd, tells this story, the short story that led to the series that begins with Dog On It, which I enjoyed. Chet’s (and Quinn’s) voice is consistently fine canine perspective, particularly what are matters of importance (crullers!) and what are not (the humans said…). My second helping of Chet and Bernie, and I will surely be back for more. A great short read if you are sitting and waiting or on the porch in the shade.
Beverly
Chet met Bernie on the day he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day thoughhave always remained a little vague. All we know is thatChet hadbeen the best leaper in his K-9 class, but for some reason he failed his final leaping test...and that a cat was involved and that there was some blood. The test, the cat, the blood signal the start of a beautiful friendship. A great prologue for the Bert and Chet series....more
Debbie
This is really a short story, the prequel to Dog On It and the entire Chet & Bernie mystery series, but it fills in a blank for me & it’s important enough for me to record as book. (Count it as a novella: honestly, it’s hard to know how long it was since it was on my Kindle.)

This series is my very favourite. It’s light-hearted enough to be narrated by the dog, which device is a source of much humour. But it’s always a good, serious mystery too.

This short story filled in the blanks of Che...more
Megan Kelly
Chet the Jet has teased us with "this story for another time" about how he flunked out of canine police school. This also chronicles his first meeting with Bernie Little, now his human partner in the Little Detective Agency. Thoroughly enjoyable. Classic Chet.
Danny L. Peele
A great duo!

I've read the other books in the Chet and Bernie series and enjoyed them. But this story fills in the blanks on the back story of how Chet and Bernie got together. A good place for readers to get introduction to these funny heroes.
Meo
I love Chet the jet. The short wasn't right about Bernie already being divorced from his ex-wife after he adopted Chet. Someone missed that, but it was a great read while waiting for the next installment.
Carol
This is a short story, not a whole book. It would have been a 4 star, but I was disappointed in the length. I knew it would be short, but it seemed really short.

This is a prequel to the Chet and Bernie series that I love. For the uninitiated, Chet is the dog partner of private investigator Bernie Little. The stories are told from Chet's point of view. This prequel tells the story of when Chet met Bernie, when Chet flunked out of K-9 training.

I've listened to the other Chet and Bernie books as a...more
Victoria
This fast and fun e-short story opens up with Chet the Jet’s infamous last day of K-9 school, and we finally all learn just how a cat was involved in his disgrace in the jumping portion of the test. But Quinn remains careful to hide away the exact details still of Bernie’s fall from the police force. Causing some confusion, however, is the fact that Bernie is already divorced here. Though it has been a while since I have read the first book in the series, I recall having the distinct impression...more
Megan
This is a short but very charming story of how Chet flunked out of K9 school on the last day and ended up with Bernie. I think its brevity worked in its favor.
Michele
A fluffy (pun intended) and fun read.

A Cat Was Involved explains the much referenced story of how Chet and Bernie meet. Despite a timing issue (as we know from later books in the series, Bernie and Leda are still married when Chet comes to live with Bernie whereas in this story Leda has already left Bernie), it's understandable that Spencer Quinn played fast and loose with the timeline to keep the story light.

I'm not a fan of pet stories in which the pet is the narrator but the Chet and Bernie...more
Ellen Thielen
I thoroughly enjoyed this since it was essentially the "prequel"" of my favorite series!! Short and sweet!
Lara
A short story, but the prequel to the Chet and Bernie series. Good to read the back-story as to how these two misfits ended up together. All those hints and references in the main novels .. well there was a cat and .... are revealed. Not entirely consistent with other parts of the main series, but never the less a good read.
Philip
Super Laundromat read! Started and finished while my clothes were in the washers and would've finished sooner if I could have stopped laughing long enough! What is it with dogs and detectives that works so well? Like "Sam" and Reid Bennett or "Max" and Sean O'Brien or some that don't work so well -"Pearl" the Wonder Dog and Spenser?
Some really contribute to solving the crimes and some provide the needed comic relief (even Pearl) but all make for highly readable books!
Please tell me where I can h...more
Ive read everyone of his books. They are so much fun
Joanne
I love these Chet and Bernie mysteries.
Beth
Another e-short - about how Chet and Bernie met - good and quick.
Steve Betz
This ebook short story is part of the Chet & Bernie Mystery series which has been a favorite of mine for the past couple of years. Bernie Little is a private detective in Phoenix and his cases are described from the viewpoint of his right-hand dog, Chet. These books are definitely targeted towards dog-lovers that like light mysteries. This short fills in the backstory of how Chet and Bernie first met and is a lead-in to this fall’s upcoming release, A Fistful of Collars. 3 stars.
Rebecca
Sep 22, 2013 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chet and Bernie fans, Dog Lovers
Shelves: read-in-2012
I really liked this short story. It was cute and I enjoyed reading about Chet and Bernie's first meeting. It does mess with the continuity- in the books, Bernie and his wife were still together when Chet joined the family but that is not the case in this story. I was entertained and I am ready for A Fistful of Collars!
Sandy
This was a very short story. Only about 23 pages of story and the rest was an excerpt of A Fistful of Collars. It was cute and funny but I thought it could be a bit longer with more about Chet's problem at the last test for K-9 school. It seems like it has been built up in the books but when the story actually gets here it seems a bit lacking. I love Chet and Bernie and loved the story and can't wait to read A Fistful of Collars.
Lori Henrich
Not sure what I think. It was strange having the story come from the dog's perspective. I will have to read the first book in the series to determine whether I really like this or not.

Chet is a dog being trained for the K9 Unit. When he fails the leap test he is given to Bernie to watch for one night before Chet is taken to the pound. But when Chet helps Bernie solve an auto theft they become a team.
Amanda
Just like all the other Chet and Bernie books, this novella was a hoot. And I loved finding out how Chet and Bernie got together, not to mention why Chet flunked out of the leaping test for K-9 school! That has been referred to in every book so it was nice to know the back story. Even in this small story the true style of Spencer Quinn shines through and this is a must read for any Chet and Bernie fan.
Jared
Excellent short story. If you've read all the books then you've heard Chet mention that a cat was involved in his flunking out of K-9 school. So it was great to finally get the story behind it. You also learn how Chet and Bernie get together, they solve their first case, and you find out how the Hawaiian pants idea comes about. A great story that adds to a series that is well worth reading!
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
  • Dog Tags
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Picture This
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)
  • The More the Terrier
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • The Litter of the Law (Mrs. Murphy #21)
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
1932450
Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog Audrey, and is hard at work on the next Chet and Bernie adventure.

Spencer Quinn is a pseudonym of author Peter Abrahams.

Series:
* A Chet and Bernie Mystery

More about Spencer Quinn...
Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1) Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2) To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3) The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Chet and Bernie #4) A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)