Start by marking “City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  497,770 Ratings  ·  19,373 Reviews
Is love worth betraying everything? Plunge into the second adventure in the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series and “prepare to be hooked” (Entertainment Weekly).

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what’s normal when you’re a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Down
Audiobook, Unabridged, 13 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about City of Ashes, please sign up.

Caitlin The first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events…moreThe first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events more than they could in a movie.(less)
Caitlin this book is so good but only read it if you have read the first one because like most books turned into a movie they are completely different.

Patrick
This book cost me around 600 dollars.

When I'm traveling to and from conventions, I use the airplane time to catch up on my reading. A lot of times this means I'm taking the opportunity to read books that have been popular for a while, but that I haven't gotten around to. I feel like I should be aware of the landscape.

Anyway, on my way home from Seattle, I had a layover in Minneapolis. I grabbed this book so I'd have something to read while I was eating dinner in the airport.

So I ate dinner, a
John Egbert
John no longer uses this account. I have no patience for this bullshit any longer. There are many ways to state an opinion that is in disagreement with this review, and so far, many of you have FAILED to do so. I will no longer tolerate disparaging comments. Rethink them if you don't want me to delete them.

Thanks,
John's Sister

PS: John is not male. She changed her gender status so she would not receive misogynistic comments, or gendered insults. JFYI.

I will tell the complete and honest truth. An
SKB
Mar 20, 2011 SKB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cara
Jan 31, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Victoria
I didn't go online, hardly talked, didn't eat (ok so I did eat), didn't watch TV just so I could finish this book. So basically I spent the whole day reading and I'm just bursting at the seams to read the next one.

The tension in the book is so great that you feel like the characters are literally going to break from the strain. Clary's mother is still in a coma and her relationships with Simon and Jace are fragile. At one point you just feel so down for everyone. Clary seemed to be getting in th
Elle
Well that was awkward.

*** SPOILERGRAM***

But before we head down the path of outrageous incest, I will say that City of Ashes was better than City of Bones. The pace was an improvement on that of the latter. Simon was still awesome as ever. I also felt that Ms Clare branched out a wee bit with her creativity with the Vampire transformation stuff, (except that I knew it was coming thanks to a certain Filipino minx who spilt the beans in a comment. You know who you are).

As for the abomination that
shady boots
I can't do it. I just can't.

Screw this series.

My problem with this series isn't the writing. I'm not one to judge books by the writing since I am pretty terrible at it myself. My problem also isn't exactly the story, which I probably could like. Sort of. I think. I don't know. But anyways, my main problem isn't any of that.

It's the characters.

How can you continue with a series when you feel nothing but pure hatred towards the characters? They all just infuriated me to no end. Jace Wayland especi
Rose
I'm beginning to understand why people prefer Jace Wayland to Edward Cullen.

I have to OH SNAP the ending. Is it March yet? I want City of Glass NOW.
Pearl Angeli
Reread: January, 2016
1st Read : July, 2014

This series continues to amaze me! I loved it the first time I read it and even gets better the second time around. There are lots of crazy and hilarious moments in this installment. The characters are all engaging and the way they interact really entertains me. I especially love Simon and Jace's banters here. And that part when they went to The Seelie Court-- my favorite part! Although Jace kind of disappoints me with his moody attitude, I still can't r
Vi Vi
Mar 29, 2011 Vi Vi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"That when he thought, really thought, about the fact that he might never get to kiss Clary again, he wanted to die or hurt or bleed so badly he’d go up to the attic and train alone for hours until he was so exhausted he had no choice but to pass out, exhausted."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"He’d have bruises in the morning, bruises and cuts and scraped skin and if he could have named all his injuries they would have had the same name: Clary, Clary, Clary."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

"If there had ever been any ho
Kate ♡
Sep 27, 2015 Kate ♡ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

This book was so much better than the first in my opinion, but I could be thinking this way because my vision of the first book in the series was clouded by my vision of the movie, but, nonetheless I really enjoyed this book a lot more.

I rated this book a 4 stars, so that there's room for higher ratings as the series goes on (and hopefully gets better)

City of Ashes got the 4 stars because it had me constantly thinking about the book, and finally I've connected to
Mikee Andrea Quiambao
I know I just now finished the second book of this series, but it feels like such an accomplishment every time I finish a book. I've seriously fell in love with this series so much. More than I ever expected to and I'm hoping I can stay with this series until the end since most people have said they stopped more or less halfway through. But so far, I've been so wrapped up in the Shadowhunter world that I don't see myself stopping any time soon! I'm so excited to see what else The Mortal Instrume ...more
Jamie
****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CITY OF BONES****

This is an outstanding follow-up to City of Bones. In City of Ashes, we find Jace and Clarey dealing with the personal fall-out from City of Bones, Alec and Isabelle not as visible but are still included, Simon still mackin' on Clarey but finds his own bit of trouble, and Magnus Bane cementing himself as the flamboyant, awesome warlock I knew he would be. And then there's the psychopathic Valentine....grrrr....

"You think she'll be able to
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Do not touch this book if you value your brain cells.
The following review is filled with spoilers, whining, complaining, ranting, and the destruction of everything people love about this series. Please read responsibly.

When last we left our intrepid heroes, Clary "Mary Sue" Frey discovered she was part of a super special group of people called Shadowhunters. (That should be two words, by the way.) She falls for shmexy jerk-face Jace, only to find out that he is her brother and that they are the long lost children of stock baddie, Valent... Oh, I c
tigerofbooks
Nov 11, 2015 tigerofbooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE REVIEW

This is definitely another great work by Cassandra Clare and if I could rate it with 50 stars I would do it without overthinking!! I want to start this review by talking about my favourite thing on it, which was that we had a whole different type of writing in my opinion.We know that in City of Bones aka perfection, the book was mainly concentrated in Clary but in City of Ashes I saw how cool everything changed because we got to see what were doing the other characters, for example whe
Leia

JacexClary:

Plot:

Me:

The end.

(Maybe one day, when I grow up and become a real girl, I'll write a proper review)
Andi
City of Ashes, on the whole, is a much more cohesive piece that City of Bones. That said, I had two major problems with the text.

The first major problem I had was with the role of adult characters in the book. There was a constant dichotomy of 'with the main characters equals good' and 'against the main characters equal bad/evil' and life is never that simple. Luke, who always supports Clary, Simon, and Jace is firmly in the 'good' category. Maryse is slightly different. In the beginning of the
Andrea Caro
May 14, 2012 Andrea Caro marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, ebook
I am sorry. I have better things to do than read this. Like clean my bathroom with a toothbrush, get a root canal, or slowly kill myself by mixing Drano in my soup. Peace outs.
Jasmine
4.5 STARS!

Book 2 really picks up from the first one and if it wasn't for my real life work, I would have enjoyed reading this in one complete sitting, loved it!

I was already sucked in from the first chapter as it starts off very eerily with the introduction of Agramon (this demon reminds me of a Boggart in HP but much more scary!). With Valentine making his intentions loud and clear to the Clave and all Downworlders alike, horrendous killings are popping up everywhere and Valentine shows no me
Marcy Jo
Let's be honest. It doesn't matter HOW many times I read this book, even knowing how things will work out in City of Glass, the epilogue still makes me want to throw things against the wall EVERY TIME I read it! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Um...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I feel a new obsession coming on. I can't get these books and characters out of my HEAD! I loved it so very very much, I couldn't stop reading. And now that I'm done reading, I'm going to listen to the audiobooks. Seriously , I'm in love
Steph Sinclair

*sigh*
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact that my taste in YA novels are changing. Maybe it's because since reading the first MI book in 2009, I have read so many better book series. Whatever the reason, CC just does not impress me. The writing is bad and she has poor use of similes.

I didn't feel the love Jace felt for Clary. If anything, I felt downright embarrassed that Jace was pinning over his "sister" and pretty much not caring. All the while, Simon is in the corner about to be s
Ash Reads
1st Read: 2013
1st Reread: May 23, 2014
2nd Reread: July 17-19 [With Lauren]

Its sad that I have read these books as many times as I have, and have neglected to write reviews until now. I love these books! I could probably read them over and over again and never tire of the story - the world, that this author has created.

There is more of a 'feels' factor in this book. More emotions that book one set up. More drama. I LOVE IT. This isn't my favorite book of the series, its probably one of my least,
Karin
CITY OF ASHES is the much anticipated sequel to last year’s City of Bones. Never have I been more excited to get a book in the mail. I have to admit, I was looking forward to CITY OF ASHES even more than when I was waiting for Harry Potter 7.

Re-entering the world of the Shadowhunters was thrilling. Clary and Jace are dealing with their father’s theft of the Angel’s Cup and are continuing to struggle with the fact that they are brother and sister.

In CITY OF ASHES we meet Alec and Izzy’s parents w
Danny Phanton
Jan 16, 2016 Danny Phanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó, estuvo entretenido, los personajes aun me gustan aunque admito que Jace me fue un poco insoportable en este libro, sigue bastante entretenido, rápido de leer y con más acción y más cosas que quiero descubrir ya mismo, en serio no pude parar hasta terminarlo.

La historia se pone más interesante y espero que los siguientes sigan igual de buenos que estos, aunque siento que aun me falta algo para darle esas 5 estrellas, sin duda Cassandra me esta sorprendiendo.

Amo a Simón, es mi favorito&
the scarecrow
May 03, 2012 the scarecrow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate the name-dropping, the shallow references, the GOD-DAMN 'love-triangle' between Simon and Jace and Clary, and the ABSURD case of Speshul Snoflake syndrome this book seems to suffer from.

Dear Mother Nature,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the publishing industry for the trees that gave their lives to produce such filth. It's cruel, careless and most of all disrespectful. I know my apologies don't matter very much, but I'd like to offer them just the same. I've lost all faith in manki
Thomas
"City of Ashes" is the sequel to City of Bones, and the series so far is about Clarissa Fray, a shadowhunter girl who is in the midst of a large war between Valentine and his demon horde, and the Clave, the society that keeps downworlders like vampires/werewolves and shadowhunters in order. Not to mention that Clary might be in love with her brother, Jace. Also, she goes through some friendship issues with her best friend Simon. And, her mom is in a coma, her dad is an evil demon lord, and her b ...more
Marnie
Cassandra Clare's writing is so magical. I'm not even going to write a full review as I cannot praise this book enough. I can't wait to start City of Glass!
Kassie
Apr 27, 2015 Kassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm loving this series so much! my only complaint is... can we get another descriptor word for Jace besides "gold" in its many forms? its so repetitive. I've started imagining him as literally dipped in gold because that's the only way it makes sense.

SUCH GREAT ACTION THOUGH! i do have to say, i wish there was more time in the book. everything happens right after another, it all takes place in like 2 days or something, and i just felt like can't everyone take a breather?

all together i'm loving
Pam
4 stars
“Fate is never fair. You are caught in a current much stronger than you are; struggle against it and you'll drown not just yourself but those who try to save you. Swim with it. and you'll survive”

Nararated by: Natalie Moore

City of Ashes, popped my audiobook cherry, I wasn't sure how I was going to like audiobooks, thinking it might be different, how I visualize things, how it will make me feel, if I would be able to fully concentrate on it and not go all "squirrel" like and have my
Kelsey Marie
This book is as wonderful the millionth time as it was the first time! I like this one more than City of Bones. Even though CoB is what starts the series, I feel like this one is where the war between the Clave and the Circle really starts. In this one, they go more in detail about Valentine and the Circle and different members. In this one, there's real fighting and distress. I feel like CoB is just the tip of the iceberg and City of Ashes is everything hidden beneath the surface.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Dec 19, 2014 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
City of Ashes trapped me in the verge of almost losing it over Jace and Clary's situation. At this point, I still could not and would never accept that they were siblings but it was killing me because I had to know and this book did not give me that. Still, thumbs up to Clare for an amazing sequel to City of Bones. :)
Favourite Magnus Bane Quotes 17 441 Feb 03, 2016 11:32AM
Climaxes 2 19 Jan 17, 2016 07:00AM
Bookreads :): City of Ashes 1 4 Jan 01, 2016 10:17AM
The YA Book Club: Team Jace or Simon? 133 574 Dec 26, 2015 12:22AM
Book Ramblings: City of Ashes 2 12 Dec 21, 2015 11:28PM
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • Twilight (The Mediator, #6)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
11111 likes
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
9325 likes