Beating the Street

Beating the Street

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,148 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Legendary money manager Peter Lynch explains his own strategies for investing and offers advice for how to pick stocks and mutual funds to assemble a successful investment portfolio.

Develop a Winning Investment Strategy—with Expert Advice from “The Nation’s #1 Money Manager.” Peter Lynch’s “invest in what you know”...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 31st 1993)

Richard Stephenson
I recommend this book to those: who are relatively new to the financial / investment arena and are looking for some insight into a sound investment *plan*... and can tolerate some very outdated examples.
----------
I enjoy Mr. Lynch's insight into what makes a good investment plan and have gathered some very useful information from this book. I will admit to having to maintain a constant "what CAN I get from this example?" approach to a majority of the book as it is a bit out-dated. Then again, *w...more
John
I think there were 3 purposes of this book.

1 - Get you excited to invest in stocks
2 - Teach you to invest in what you know
3 - Teach you to invest regularly and avoid psychological pitfalls

If you look at it as analysis on companies, it makes no sense, as it was written in the early '90's and not only are his analysis no longer accurate, some of the companies don't even exist in the same form.

What you should look at is his methodology of gaining information and researching companies. His excitemen...more
Steve Bradshaw
Great book. A little dangerous for people without a solid financial background but great thoughts on how to pick good companies and stick with them. I recommend complementing this read with the intelligent investor by Ben Graham.

Lynch makes a great case for investing your own savings in stocks (versus trusting it to a money manager or investing in fixed income assets). His basic thesis is that having a long-term orientation, sticking with safe, financially strong companies in good niches and av...more
Kylewong
RT Wolf

Develop a Winning Investment Strategy -- with Expert Advice from "The Nation's #1 Money Manager"

Peter Lynch's "invest in what you know" strategy has made him a household name with investors both big and small.

An important key to investing, Lynch says, is to remember that stocks are not lottery tickets. There's a company behind every stock and a reason companies -- and their stocks -- perform the way they do. In this book, newly revised and updated for the paperback edition, Peter Lynch shows y

Zhiling
i think this book does give brilliant insight into the investing 'strategy' of a very successful and busy fund manager. probably useful for people who are very into this field. still, do have some reservation with the stockpicking part, which still appears like overconfidence in making predictions. you can just take in the general investment rules at the end of the book ;)
Vincent
This is an incredibly unique book written by one of the most underrated investors ever. It's fascinating hearing Lynch's story of how he ran the Magellan Fund, especially how he solicited CEOS of public companies that he was interested in. Alongside these experiences, he incorporates words of wisdom and general guidelines for investing. In general, his advice is remarkably simple, yet remarkably overlooked by modern investors. Probably his most famous piece of advice would be his KISS method (Ke...more
James
i really liked this book. peter lynch seems like a very humble, hard-working, down-to-earth man. i especially enjoyed the first part of the book where he makes a case for individuals to pick their own stocks instead of investing with mutual funds (which is somewhat ironic given that he was one of the most successful mutual fund managers ever). the book was written almost twenty years ago, so a lot of the companies he mentions aren't around anymore but the investing lessons are the same. also, it...more
Dan Walker
What I learned from this book is that to beat the street (meaning, earning a greater return than the average mutual fund or the S&P 500) you have to work harder than the street. To find one good stock you're going to have to research 10 stocks. That the only way to know which are the best stocks to own is to research and know every company selling stock in the world! Basically, that it's just plain hard work, because you are looking for stocks that the market has underpriced, either due to l...more
Atul
This book about how Peter Lynch was managing his fund - Magellan , he describe plenty of example of his good and bad stock holding
Greg
Easy to read and replete with lessons and examples for would-be investors in the stock market. Not an academic tome, nor a serious examination of market dynamics or equities investing, it is nevertheless worth reading for the average investor who wants to add to his or her understanding of how to make choices in the market. Lynch was the long-time manager of Fidelity's incredibly successful Magellan Fund.
DJ
Dec 29, 2007 DJ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: any investor
Invest in what you know.
Don't try to predict the market; you will fail.
Wall Street is a herd; understanding this will make you a more intelligent investor.

Required reading for any investor. Also, probably the only investing book you will ever read that will make you giggle (Lynch is an unabashed economic nerd and damn do I wish he were my grandfather).
David
I enjoyed this, the second book by Peter Lynch I read but wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. The company examples themselves are out of date but the ideas behind his picks and comments are still valid. I'd say this is a good intermediate level book. I'd recommend reading his One Up On Wall Street first, then this one at a later date.
David Glad
In comparison to One Up, this one sounded more like an old man trying to reflect on his glory days and insist "I told you so" at one part by his commentary of the collapse of Japan's bubble, whereas in the previously one he commented more in passing a simple "I thought it (their market) was overpriced."
Alvin Lim
In this #1 national bestseller--now fully revised and updated--Peter Lynch shows investors how to reap the rewards of managing their own investments. Lynch offers clear suggestions for establishing and maintaining a balanced portfolioof long-term and short-term stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
Cyril Hopkins
Old for this age but good insights into the different markets as well as the attitude and tips for a stock investor. I think its a good read coming from a fund manager of vast experience. If you're planning to make a headway into the industry, I think you should give this book a looker!
Mike
I'm not an authority on the matter so I took his words as truth. If what he says is true then all you have to do is have the phone number of all the CEO's talk to them for an hour, spend 80 hours a week keeping up with news and stocks, etc. I realized I will never be a day trader.
PrimalLogic
Great book. The author puts 100% emphasis on picking out stocks through fundamental analysis, like checking out the balance sheet to see how much debts/profits there are. And also to check what kind of projects the company in question has going on.
Ambarishh Halwasiya
the first book by peter lynch i ever read was one up the wall street and while reading beating the street i found a lot of examples common to the first one though there were some chapters i enjoyed thoroughly but still leaves one wanting for more
Iline
Nov 03, 2007 Iline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone interested in learning how to invest.
Shelves: investing
This was a great book. It was fun to read, yet very informative and helpful in learning some of the basics and even indepth tools to trading on the stock market-- and doing so in your favor.
Bap
Invest in companies that you know and are comfortable with in the way they operate and what you can glean from reports. Much too simplistic to be applied by the average investor.
Jagad5
His first book was great and I read it every couple of years. This book is full of which stocks he liked when he wrote, not additional methods for picking great stocks.
Ed Ball
The content may be dated, but the strategies still apply today. I would recommend just about anything Peter Lynch has written, he's that good.
Jon Larimer
Interesting read, not much information on investing techniques though. It's basically a story of how Peter Lynch made a bunch of money for his fund.
grundoon
Not an attempt to be instructive so much as contextually illustrative - even 18 years later there's plenty to take away.
Paul
Lynch is witty, entertaining, and informative. Much better market information than Cramer's books (which I liked, albeit).
Fernando
It is well written,, there are to much explanations of specific companies.
So it is outdated cause the companies changed a lot.
Tyoung221
Where's Peter now, I could really use his help. This book helped me to better understand stock investing.
Bethany
Good book for learning how to pick stocks, however a little outdated now, good tips don't go out of style...
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • The Little Book of Value Investing (Little Books. Big Profits)
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • Stocks for the Long Run: The Definitive Guide to Financial Market Returns and Long-term Investment Strategies
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management (Wiley Finance)
  • Market Wizards
Peter Lynch is an American businessman and stock investor. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 and earned a Master of Business Administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968.

Lynch worked at Fidelity Investments where named head of the then obscure Magellan Fund which had $18 million in assets. By the time Lynch resigned as a fund manager in 1990, the fund...more
More about Peter Lynch...
One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business Snp: The History of the Scottish National Party The Church's Story: A History of Pastoral Care and Vision Der Börse Einen Schritt Voraus: Wie Auch Sie Mit Aktien Verdienen Können