Start by marking “Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights” as Want to Read:
Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights

Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights (Owly)

Out on a stargazing venture in this wordless picture book, Owly and Wormy discover that it’s fine to be frightened—but it’s better to be brave.

Owly and Wormy want to see the stars! So they gather their telescope and their lantern and head out into the dark night, all the way to the edge of their branch. Try as they might, though, they can only see leaves…and branches…and m
Published November 13th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owly & Wormy, Bright Lights and Starry Nights

Stefanie
Feb 07, 2015 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
I seriously love all the Owly books.
É O'Conghaile
Sep 03, 2014 É O'Conghaile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
The different format from previous Owly books is very cute and welcome. It's a larger book in the format of a children's book, and a single story, whereas previous books in the series have been a condensed collection of stories.

With the new format, there are larger pictures and multiple new colours. The story as well is just as happy, enjoyable, and emotional as past stories, with the common and highly-welcome theme of making new friends. This one also focuses on adaptation to variables during a
Tasha
Sep 05, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When the first Owly book came out years ago, I made sure to get it into the hands of my own reluctant reader. Unburdened by the need to read words, he immediately took to both Owly and Wormy. I’m happy to say that the series has continued to be just as good as that first book. Runton has started to do more picture book versions as well and this is one of those. In this book, Owly and Wormy go on a trek out of the woods and up to a hill where they will be able to view the stars better. Along the ...more
Alice
Apr 08, 2013 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
I really don't care for books with no words....Reading is about literacy..but I guess making up stories that go with the pictures is a good thing. However...trying to make out the story isn't very clear...you have to look very closely to get what they are trying to portray and I just didn't care for it!
Ashley
Sep 16, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-services
The illustrations are SO adorable, and it was a cute little wordless story. But honestly, I kind of had a tough time deciphering some of the pictures. If you're letting a child make up a story to go along with the pictures anyway, then that doesn't really matter.
Vince
Nov 22, 2012 Vince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book was awesome fun for my (almost) 4 yr old daughter and I. There aren't any words; the characters think and talk through thought bubbles that contain only pictures. It made reading it an adventure. Will definitely be looking for more Owly & Wormy adventures.
Stefany Boleyn
Oct 12, 2016 Stefany Boleyn rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very adorable book, but I don't think I'll be able to read it for storytime. Not many actual words, and it's too long to guess what's going on in each picture.
Kailey Pitts
Mar 02, 2017 Kailey Pitts rated it it was amazing
Owly and Wormy want to see the stars, so they gather their telescope and their lantern and head out into the dark night, all the way to the edge of their branch. Try as they might, though, they can only see leaves…and branches…and more leaves. But these two friends are not about to let a little obstacle like foliage stop them. Owly and Wormy find plenty to be frightened of, but with a little bravery, they also find there are nearly as many helpful new friends on the horizon as there are stars in ...more
Marlowe
Jul 17, 2015 Marlowe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Bright Lights is a sweet story about two friends, Owly and Wormy, who want to see the stars and, on the way, they become friends with a family of bats.

The story is told in a graphic novel style, except that instead of text in speech bubbles, there are instead more images. This made it great for reading with my pre-literate kid, because it meant that we could look at the pictures together and talk about what was happening – encouraging him to deduce from the visual cues how the characters are fee
Brianna Deines
Primary

1. This story doesn't have any words but the characters have thought bubbles that show what they are "saying" or thinking. I would say it is fairly easy to follow but the reader couldn't rush through looking at the pictures or else they wouldn't be able to follow the plot very well. If a student does take the time and has background knowledge of a telescope and looking at the stars this story could be very engaging.

2.A great way to use this book is with children who have a fear of the d
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I like the Owly graphic novels, so I was excited to see this particular picture book. In this book Owly and Wormy are excited to look through a telescope to see the stars. But things don’t go quite as planned. For one thing Wormy is very scared of being in the dark. So they keep looking through the telescope, but they always have candles lit while they do so. And they can’t see stars. So they go on a journey to a nearby hill to look at the stars. But there are a couple of more reasons for Owly a ...more
Kate
Oct 04, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
This was a "read-aloud" for a group of kindergarteners through second graders at a library program on graphic novels, and let me tell you - it's the most engaged I've seen the kids with a book. Any book. They loved interpreting the rebuses that Owly and Wormy use to communicate with the reader, particularly the kids whose reading skills were still emergent. I displayed several Owly picture books at this program and they were all checked out.

I really like the regular Owly graphic novels and reco
Dione Basseri
Apr 26, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
Owly books are always great picks for children becoming more independent, but aren't yet ready for reading actual words. Runton does a wonderful job of conveying a story in just the pictures, with a little help from some "picture speech," where the animals convey their problems in simple pictograms.

It was particularly interesting to me to see this book as it's the first Owly book I've seen which is done in color. His comic collections are all black-and-white, and, while still good, the addition
Andrea Antinori
Summary: Owly and Wormy go to the end of thire branch to see the stars, but they cannot see any because of the branches and leaves in the way. They start hearing noises in the woods, and begin to get frightened. Owly finds bats, who explain the noises to the friends, so they are not afraid anymore.

Review: This was an adorable book. Every time I read it, I found more things that I did not pick up on the first time. Since there are no words, I think that it is great to bring into a classroom to in
Keith Irwin
Jan 05, 2016 Keith Irwin rated it it was amazing
This is another of the charming adventures of Owly and Wormy. This time they want to look at stars, but have trouble seeing them in the forest so they wind up having an adventure. I read this with my six-year-old. There are times in this story when Owly and Wormy get scared, but it isn't really designed to frighten the reader and my six-year-old didn't have any problem with it. On the whole, it was another adorable and enjoyable story. It's nice having characters who wear their emotions on their ...more
Samantha
Dec 14, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Owly and Wormy plan a camping trip so that they can use their telescope to see the stars, but run into a few roadblocks. The weather doesn’t cooperate, they get lost/scared in a cave, and they separate so that Owly can find the telescope they lost in their haste to outrun the creatures in the cave. A family of bats befriends the duo and all ends well as the stars finally make a bright and brilliant appearance.

A wordless comic book that’s appealing/recommended for pre-readers through early eleme
Emilia P
Jul 26, 2013 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
YEAH!
Owly and Wormy want to go out and see the stars but they have some figuring out to do before they can do that -- and they get separated from each other and have to rely on some adorable bats! Yayyyyy bats. And in the end, they see the stars. How nice. Reading an Owly book is definitely like meeting up with an old friend. And drinking some coffee! Or looking at the stars. Thanks Andy. I couldn't live without him. :)
Kaethe
Aug 04, 2013 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Owly gets a telescope, then has adventures with Wormy while trying to see the stars. The wonderful thing about Owly is that everything is such a big deal: the unfamiliar is terrifying, while a sandwich eaten outside of the house is the best thing ever. It's very childlike, but not childish. Okay, the other thing is that there are no words, even though there is a sort of dialogue.

Just so freaking cute.

Library copy.
Veena Menon
Apr 10, 2014 Veena Menon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
At Comic Con last year, as I was browsing through the aisles, I came across this adorable owl, Owly. I bought this book as a good-night book for my future children. I was drawn to the starry night artwork and the adventure of Owly and Wormy. I got my copy signed by Andy! I love this book, and I know it is one I will treasure forever. I plan on buying more at this year's Comic Con to add to my collection!
Jess
Dec 08, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, z_13
Owly and wormy are back for the picture book set. An adorable friendship put in a sweet story where it's OK if you're afraid. Friends will help you be brave. Welcome to the club, friendly bats!

I like this book as a bridge between comics and picture books. May be useful for talking to kids about deciphering illustrations for meaning. Plenty will set to that on their own, thought, too.
Kelli
Aug 03, 2013 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Just looked at this one with my 5 year old son and we loved it! I was actually surprised at how many of the picture clues he was able to decipher on his own, and he really enjoyed feeling like he was helping me read the story. We've started a tradition of buying an Owly book for the kids every time we go to SDCC, and we'll be continuing our collection. :)
Mayda
Oct 11, 2016 Mayda rated it it was amazing
The full-color illustrations in this picture book will undoubtedly appeal to the much younger set, but older fans of Owly & Wormy will miss the more in-depth goodness of the longer tales that are in the graphic novels from this author. Still, Andy Runton’s familiar style is here, and when this Dynamic Duo is able to overcome their fears, they discover much joy.
Sandy Brehl
I'm a huge fan of the Owly graphic novels, and this picture book version is an ideal way to introduce younger readers to visual reading (panels, page progressions, and speech bubbles/rebus-reading). The story problem is never as simple as it seems, and within it are lessons on friendship, science, and communication.
Margie
Jan 11, 2013 Margie rated it it was amazing
The heartwarming duo created by Andy Runton have returned in a nighttime adventure sure to be a favorite not only of series fans but anyone who likes a great story.

My full review: http://bit.ly/Ybi3EV
April
Feb 04, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't usually like children's books without words but my kiddo took right to this book and really loves it. The pictures are adorable. The story is sweet and gives us the opportunity to discuss (on a very basic level) some of the science in the book (e.g. telescopes, stars, lighting, etc).
Literacy Group
Sep 22, 2013 Literacy Group added it
Shelves: fantasy
Owly and Wormy want to look at the stars with their telescope but they keep running into problems! First the trees block the view, then it rains, but in the end, they make new friends and see the stars!

Grades Preschool - 2
Heather
Jen
Dec 14, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, wordless
This is a story without words! Kids might have fun telling their own version or writing it down on paper. Sometimes the pictures are a little small though. This story could teach you how to be brave or go on an adventure. There are tie ins to astronomy as well.
Budur
What is there not to love about this awesome book! I 'read' it 4 times over and each time ended with a cheesy grin on my face. The best part, I have the amazing memory of my 3 year old telling me the story so perfectly as he read it!
Jean-Marie
We love Owly! He's a such sweet little owl. This is perfect picture book for pre-readers. Let them read the pictures to you.
Robin
  • Hank Finds an Egg
  • Red Hat
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • The Umbrella
Andy is the creator of the breakout all-ages series of graphic novels, Owly, featuring a kind-hearted little owl who's always searching for new friends and adventure. Relying on a mixture of symbols and expressions to tell his silent stories, Andy?s work showcases both his gift for characterization and his love of birds, animals, and the outdoors. His animated and heartwarming style has made him a ...more
More about Andy Runton...

Owly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Owly, Vol. 1:  The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer (Owly, #1)
  • Owly, Vol. 2: Just a Little Blue (Owly, #2)
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales (Owly, #5)
  • Owly Volume 6: A Fishy Situation (Owly, #6)
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Owly: Splashin' Around