Start by marking “A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)” as Want to Read:
A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)

A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)

Start a Revolution, Incite Happiness!

Delivered with fearless candor and disarming humor, Lama Marut introduces a simple set of exercises that offers a revolutionary yet wholly practical approach to creating and sustaining happiness in a complex modern age.

Integrating the ancient teachings of Tibetan Buddhism into the everyday grind, A Spiritual Renegade’s Guide to the
Published June 5th 2012 by Atria Books/Beyond Words

To ask other readers questions about A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life

Aley Martin
Aug 06, 2012 Aley Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aley by: Delphine Boswell
Shelves: favorites
Lama Marut offers the newbie a refreshing look at forgiveness, gratitude and working on a happy life. He also offers the follower a new way of looking at material they may have previously read, but needed to be reminded about again.
Ted
Jun 15, 2012 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
petty remarkable, if you follow through with what he says.
Ami Nicholson
This is a self-help guide written to help people find happiness through a better understanding of the Buddhist concept of Karma. Lama Marut, a Buddhist monk, has filled the pages full of inspirational quotes and excerpts from the teachings of the Ashtavakra Gita and the Bhagavad Gita. There are also several segments taken from A guide to the Boddhisattva's way of life of Shantideva: A commentary. To help westerners better understand eastern Philosophy, the author has drawn on areas in which Budd ...more
Jul 14, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I like this author he helps the reader easily see his message
Andi
There are a lot of positive things to take away from this book. A lot of what Lama Marut discusses is the type of knowledge many of us already have (if we have actually taken the time to navel-gaze). However, possessing that knowledge and putting it into practice are separate entities, and most of us probably need a reminder. And, if the ideas Lama Marut presents are not something a person already holds, then it's a wonderful guide, complete with modern metaphors, through the thinking process.

I
Stephen Shelton
A very interesting book. It is challenging. Marut was a Tibetian Buddhist monk, but this seemed a more generic approach to spirituality. The ideas of being able to reinvent the past was really useful. The idea of my current actions causing future events - and in particular his dogmatic assertion that the karmic worldview was the only realistic one possible got really old. No doubt, my current thoughts and actions will effect my future, but how I respond to the events and not the events themselve ...more
Jessica
Jul 16, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprised when I enjoyed the book greatly after winning this book on good reads i thought it might be out of my realm im not very religious and while i have my own opinion i found this book not by the book it wasn't strictly religious (This is how it is and this is how it will be stuff was not in this book ) some parts were even humorous. It has definatly changed some of my ways of viewing day to day life. It has helped me understand more about myself then I ever thought any book coul ...more
Tori K
Jun 15, 2016 Tori K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindfulness
This was a lot like sitting through the homilies of my childhood; boring older bloke going off about some moral or spiritual failing in all of us and how we can change that. Which is to say, sometimes medicine doesn't, and indeed isn't supposed to, taste good. I needed a dose and can move on, but it was bitter going down. (The prose was repetitive to read but perhaps an audio book would have been more
palatable? If I read parts aloud, they annoyed me
less...)

A good slap on the bum for karmic awar
Kay
Gave it up. A good deal of it is on the podcasts I listened to some years ago, and some of it still is sterling. But a good deal is bad-mouthing other beliefs and people, a good deal of it is blowing on Marut's horn in a shriekingly annoying way, and I finally just returned it. Great disappointment, for there is a deep message in his teachings and his presentation in person is great fun. Podcasts were the best among video, book and audio. Won't re-read.
Amanda Wallace
Oct 24, 2015 Amanda Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked a lot of what this book had to say. I did not always appreciate how it was being said (it felt a bit condescending, which can be rather hypocritical when you think about it in context); nor did I agree wholeheartedly with every proclamation, but it is certainly worth reading and something I hope to revisit over time.
Amanda Wallace
Jul 30, 2015 Amanda Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author came across incredibly off putting for me, almost condescending and hypocritical at times, but once I got past that his actual message was powerful. I will be rereading this book in the future.
Tom
Apr 02, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An atypical perspective on Buddhist teachings. Accessible, interesting, and as a long time reader of Buddhist topics I was pleased at how this shook up my understanding and made me perceive things from a different angle. Highly recommended.
Dmitriy Yepishin
Spiritual practice explained in plain english. Simple (but not easy), yet profound - the ideas in this book have been a part of most authentic spiritual traditions for ages and have have the power to change lives.
Dita
May 07, 2013 Dita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestread, spiritual
Are you ready to be always happy? Or at least happier?
Lori
Oct 18, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it twice. Loved!
Monica Podasca
Monica Podasca rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Steven Elliott
Steven Elliott rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Betsy Mortenson
Betsy Mortenson rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Reed Woodhouse
Reed Woodhouse rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Dr Sparkle
Dr Sparkle rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Jilljoseph77gmail.com
Jilljoseph77gmail.com rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Kate Cubitt
Kate Cubitt rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Philip Wagner
Philip Wagner rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
John Stygles
John Stygles rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Kyler
Kyler rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
  • Love Letter to the Earth
  • So Far from Home: Lost and Found in Our Brave New World
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • How to Be Compassionate: a Handbook for Creating Inner Peace and a Happier World
Lama Marut (a.k.a. Brian K. Smith) is extensively trained in the spiritual traditions of India and Tibetan Buddhism. He holds a Ph.D. in Comparative Religion and taught for over two decades in the academic world, first at Columbia University and later at the University of California, where he retired as Professor Emeritus in 2004. He lived as a Buddhist monk for eight years and has served for the ...more
More about Lama Marut...

“Worrying about tomorrow doesn’t change tomorrow. But it does change today—and not for the better.” 2 likes