Start by marking “A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)” as Want to Read:
A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)

A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life (with embedded video)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Start a Revolution, Incite Happiness!

Delivered with fearless candor and disarming humor, Lama Marut introduces a simple set of exercises that offers a revolutionary yet wholly practical approach to creating and sustaining happiness in a complex modern age.

Integrating the ancient teachings of Tibetan Buddhism into the everyday grind, A Spiritual Renegade’s Guid
Published June 5th 2012 by Atria Books/Beyond Words

To ask other readers questions about A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life

Aley Martin
Aug 17, 2012 Aley Martin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aley by: Delphine Boswell
Shelves: favorites
Lama Marut offers the newbie a refreshing look at forgiveness, gratitude and working on a happy life. He also offers the follower a new way of looking at material they may have previously read, but needed to be reminded about again.
Ted
petty remarkable, if you follow through with what he says.
4.5 I like this author he helps the reader easily see his message
Andi
There are a lot of positive things to take away from this book. A lot of what Lama Marut discusses is the type of knowledge many of us already have (if we have actually taken the time to navel-gaze). However, possessing that knowledge and putting it into practice are separate entities, and most of us probably need a reminder. And, if the ideas Lama Marut presents are not something a person already holds, then it's a wonderful guide, complete with modern metaphors, through the thinking process.

I
Kay
Gave it up. A good deal of it is on the podcasts I listened to some years ago, and some of it still is sterling. But a good deal is bad-mouthing other beliefs and people, a good deal of it is blowing on Marut's horn in a shriekingly annoying way, and I finally just returned it. Great disappointment, for there is a deep message in his teachings and his presentation in person is great fun. Podcasts were the best among video, book and audio. Won't re-read.
Jessica
I was very surprised when I enjoyed the book greatly after winning this book on good reads i thought it might be out of my realm im not very religious and while i have my own opinion i found this book not by the book it wasn't strictly religious (This is how it is and this is how it will be stuff was not in this book ) some parts were even humorous. It has definatly changed some of my ways of viewing day to day life. It has helped me understand more about myself then I ever thought any book coul ...more
Tom
An atypical perspective on Buddhist teachings. Accessible, interesting, and as a long time reader of Buddhist topics I was pleased at how this shook up my understanding and made me perceive things from a different angle. Highly recommended.
Jean-louis Brunet
Awesome read to the path of tranquility and true happiness.
Dina
Easy read considering he's describing such complex concepts.
Dita
Are you ready to be always happy? Or at least happier?
Lori
Read it twice. Loved!
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Ml Menon
Ml Menon marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Leticia
Leticia marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Deepak Chhatani
Deepak Chhatani marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Keri
Keri added it
Dec 30, 2014
Stephen Shelton
Stephen Shelton is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • Whispers from Eternity: First Version
  • Inner Life
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
Lama Marut (a.k.a. Brian K. Smith) is extensively trained in the spiritual traditions of India and Tibetan Buddhism. He holds a Ph.D. in Comparative Religion and taught for over two decades in the academic world, first at Columbia University and later at the University of California, where he retired as Professor Emeritus in 2004. He lived as a Buddhist monk for eight years and has served for the ...more
More about Lama Marut...
Be Nobody

“Worrying about tomorrow doesn’t change tomorrow. But it does change today—and not for the better.” 1 likes