Start by marking “The Halloween Kid” as Want to Read:
The Halloween Kid

The Halloween Kid

From the illustrator of the Melvin Beederman, SUPERHERO series comes a story about a masked hero and his trusty steed. Together they save Halloween from ruthless toilet paper–tossing mummies and pumpkin-sucking vampires.

No siree, Halloween won’t be canceled anytime soon, not while the Halloween Kid’s around. With a rootin’ tootin’ Halloween monster–shootin’ text and retro-
Published August 9th 2011 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Halloween Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Halloween Kid

Dolly
Oct 07, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about a little Halloween kid who saves the day, protecting trick or treaters from dastardly monsters and varmints who are trying to ruin the holiday. It also shows that even the mightiest hero needs help sometimes, too.

This story begs to be read with a southern cowboy drawl and the illustrations have a mixture of a western/Powerpuff girls flavor to them. The coloring in the book is a combination of shades of black, orange and white, and the mottled spots on each page give an
Kathryn
A fun Halloween tale, Western-style, with a bit of a 1950s retro feel! This is the story of the Halloween Kid, who rides into town on his (hobby) horse and saves the neighborhood from various Halloween varmints like mummies and vampires as he cries, "Yee-Ha-lloween!" ;-) There's a nice little message about friendship and reciprocity, too. I'm not sure that it was one of my personal favorites, but I really appreciate the effort here and thus the four stars.
Maren Prestegaard
Oct 15, 2016 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall
Only giving this a 4 because I love to talk in a cowboy accent.
Qt
Quite well done--a Halloween story with a western twist! For me, it was more of a 3 star book, but it's so well done that I had to give it 4 :-)
Tasha
Sep 07, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
In a unique mix of wild west action and Halloween treats, this book tells the tall tale of the Halloween Kid. The Halloween Kid keeps Halloween safe for all children going trick-or-treating. Riding his trusty steed, he is able to truss up toilet paper mummies, wrestle vampires, tickle ghosts into submission. He was so good at it that Halloween was quiet for some time. But then the Goodie Goblins came to town and folks started talking about canceling Halloween entirely. The Halloween Kid hadn’t h ...more
Diane
Oct 12, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Halloween Kid by Rhode Montijo is a story about a kid determined to save Halloween when some Greedy Goodie Goblins roll into town. The Kid along with his trusty stick horse, Lone Ranger mask, is determined to get back at those who ruined Halloween. When the Kid finds his job a little tougher than expected, the neighbors help out to reclaim the day and the fun.

This book is cute, especially the colorful illustrations with a retro sort of look. The story too, is a cute one, but I had a issue wi
Joy
Oct 01, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is so stylish and quite clever. Autumnal toned illustrations combined with a super-cute factor of the dressed-up kids make this a treat to look at page after page. Even the monsters are rather cute in my opinion. It has a 1950's western flavor, like a Halloween-inspired offshoot of the fictional Woody's Roundup from Toy Story. The story itself is engaging and the dialogue certainly lends to a funny read-aloud. All I can say is, "Yee-Ha-lloween!"
Emily Woodard
Jul 21, 2015 Emily Woodard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 100 stars.

I liked it when the Halloween Kid saved everyone, but I didn't like it when his horse ran away.
Jennifer Strong
The Halloween Kid has always been around to save Halloween night from "them toilet paper mummies," "pumpkin-suckin' vampires," "leaf-pile ghosts," and "the Giant Miami Werewolf." But one year dozens of naughty goblins wreck havoc and threaten to ruin Halloween! In his attempts to rid the town of these pests, the Halloween Kid gets ambushed! The neighborhood kids come together for a rescue mission and the Halloween Kid is finally able to lasso up the goblins and restore peace.

Told with a western
Heidi-Marie
That's more like what I'm looking for in my all-ages Halloween storytime. A fun story that I can put in some accents with. It isn't too scary and kids can see even heroes need heroes.

10/31/15 Fun to read. I managed most of the accents and such, but again got a bit tongue tied. Maybe I was more tired than I thought? Not sure. But overall everyone enjoyed it and it was a great way to finish off the story/song part of the program. Also had a bit of a lead in to the craft since we did TP mummies and
Kate Barton
Feb 08, 2012 Kate Barton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute book about a young boy taking back Halloween for the trick-or-treaters with the help of his stick horse "Lone Ranger" and friendly neighbors. I couldn't help myself reading it in a southern drawl, but its meant to be as that's how its written. The pictures are cute with retro-western Halloween orange and black and kept my sons attention. Trick or treating and this holiday are favorite times in our home, this cute story a beloved read throughout the whole year.
Heather
29 months - Loved the graphic and color scheme of this book and I do appreciate the attempt authors make to keep in character with the language but talking like a cowboy is often tough, both my husband and I stumbled many times. And when trying to impress upon a toddler correct/appropriate language it makes this type of story less appealing.
Angie
Oct 18, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Love, love, love, love, love the illustrations.

Can't say I am quite as fond of the story (it's more ... like more than just like but not love--that's as clear as mud, isn't it) but with pictures this cute I'd almost say who cares. Almost.

The color palette is perfect for the season. The retro 50s look is SO AWESOME. And the story is cute.
Nicole
A fun read, with language tailored to fit a cowboy/western theme... Due to the orange hues/tones in all of the illustrations, this would probably be a difficult book at a storytime, but a fun book for smaller groups or one-on-one...
Rosa
The Halloween Kid keeps everything safe for trick or treaters. When he's suddenly needed again to handle some goblins, he's out of practice and ends up getting help from the local kids. Love the art style of the book and and the western feel. It's very cute.
Christian Sinclair
Sep 19, 2010 Christian Sinclair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween
Very nicely illustrated book with a cutout/silhouette vibe using a limited black/off-white and orange palette. The language lends towards talking with a real twangy accent which the kids really enjoyed.
Jennybug
This is the cutest book. The art work is great the story is fun. Hooray for the Halloween kid. I love Halloween, dressing-up, and Trick or Treating.
Sawyer, my nephew also loved this book he rated it a 10!!!
Michelle
I giggled so much throughout this. I love the horse doing the whole Timmy-stuck-in-a-well bit. The colors of the book is what I loved! All orange and black tones. Really sets in the Halloween and even western feel. Adorbs!
Rainey
The Halloween Kid is a haunted hit! With class-style illustrations by the author and a twist on your common supernatural villains, this holiday read is perfect for a pre-tick-or-treating tradition. The Halloween Kid also has particular appeal for young readers who love cowboys or westerns!
Morgan
Aug 27, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute western-themed Halloween book. Great for school-age.
Douglas Cootey
Cute story.
Jess
Great Halloween read aloud book perfect for storytime. The illustrations are wonderful with their vintage feel. Perfect Halloween book to add to a holiday collection.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I read this book this week to Kindergarten for Halloween and they loved it! This is a fun Halloween book and did some extra Yee-Ha-Halloweens during the reading of this book!
Reid
Dec 27, 2013 Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure, it's a kids book, but the artwork in "The Halloween Kid" is GLORIOUS and what's NOT to love about a kid that loves Halloween?
Zabphelia
Oct 13, 2012 Zabphelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations and the story is awesome. I read it to the children at work and they really enjoyed it too. One of the boys couldn't stop talking about it. My favorite Halloween book.
Rachel
I really liked it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
K.E.
Oct 26, 2011 K.E. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-children
Why I picked it up: Halloween theme, couldn't resist.

Why I finished it: Cute story and the vintage '50s artwork is great.

Best Line: "That's a wrap, you T.P.-tossin' terrors!"
Tiffany
Oct 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So cute! The text and illustrations are both wonderful. I find it necessary to read this to my boys with a "Western movie" accent for the full effect.
Tricia
Illustrations are super cool. Story itself is lacking and I believe my audience was polite to hang in there.
SouthWestZippy
Cute story and I enjoyed the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Humbug Witch
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet (Mulberry Books)
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones