Start by marking “Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty” as Want to Read:
Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty

Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Published April 17th 2012 by Free Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Risk Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risk Intelligence

Julia
Sep 02, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating topic, but I couldn't even finish the book because it rambled and was utterly annoying.
Anna Maconochie
May 24, 2012 Anna Maconochie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evans' thorough investigation into how we make decisions is an eye-opener. Whether you are a parent, a gambler, a politician or a security guard or just want to improve your risk intelligence, this is a must-read. Stylishly written with fascinating examples, this is a highly enjoyable, rigorously academic book that will seep into your everyday thoughts.
Mahé
May 24, 2012 Mahé rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great balance of academic knowledge, original and authentic thinking supported by research and pertinent surveys. The concept of 'Risk Intelligence' is brought to the reader in a smooth flowing manner with lots of information, references and surprising anecdotes that makes a very useful, interesting and fun read. A must read.
Cem
Oct 31, 2012 Cem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: main-shelf
Lightweight.
Anne Borrowdale
Risk intelligence is the ability to deal with risk and uncertainty and estimate probabilities accurately - whether about the likelihood of events happening, or judging whether a piece of information is true. It’s about being able to gauge the limits of your own knowledge, knowing when you don’t know much, and being confident when you do.

It gets technical in parts, but is a reasonably easy read. However, having read other books on a similar topic, I didn’t find much new in this. One area I was i
Frances
Jun 26, 2016 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to increase your ability to decide things in a rational manner this book could help you. Warning contains mathematical concepts that might throw you off.
Scott
Sep 07, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had an impact on my view of daily reality. Little do we realize the extent to which we rely on statistics and probability all the time -- innately and via culture.
Raj Rajkumar
Dec 14, 2014 Raj Rajkumar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. While I understand and appreciate the author's retelling of established research findings on the frailty of experts and the human inability to gauge probabilities, I felt that the RQ metric and techniques for improving Risk Intelligence were just commercial drivel--marketing collateral to sell consulting services.
Jonathan Siow
Contains bits and pieces of information recycled from other books. Emphasizes the importance of rational analysis of risks, but becomes a bit too draggy after a while.
Richard
May 14, 2016 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm uncertain as to why the book didn't appeal to me. I've read and enjoyed several others on a similar theme, but this one just didn't do it for me. No big deal.
Jeff
Mar 16, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid book about a complicated issue. Not too much math (hint: it's all about probabilities) and very well written. The end of the book seems to just taper off as if the author's minimum word count had been reached, not offering much of a closing. Nevertheless, there are some great tools for the toolbox in here. I feel a Quizlet coming on!
Nils
Nov 28, 2012 Nils rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though provoking popular psychology of the decision-making process. Not as clear as it ought to be about the cognitive and emotional difference between assessing uncertainty and assessing ambiguity.
Briana
Sep 30, 2012 Briana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong explanations of our willingness to take risks/not.
Adriano
Aug 19, 2012 Adriano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, instructive, unputdownable. Well writing...
Felix Kapapula
Felix Kapapula marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Moe
Moe rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Hendra Kusumawijaya
Hendra Kusumawijaya marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Shehab-eldin
Shehab-eldin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Taylor Applegate
Taylor Applegate marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Gina Mckeen
Gina Mckeen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Mike Recker
Mike Recker marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Irfan Ahmed
Irfan Ahmed rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Amy Lin
Amy Lin marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Bhavesh Shah
Bhavesh Shah marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Gamal Hennessy
Gamal Hennessy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
  • Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart
  • Hedge Fund Market Wizards
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust
  • Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • NeuroLogic: The Brain's Hidden Rationale Behind Our Irrational Behavior
  • Anxious: Using the Brain to Understand and Treat Fear and Anxiety
  • Trader Vic--Methods of a Wall Street Master
  • The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being
  • The Essential Buffett: Timeless Principles for the New Economy
  • The Ravenous Brain: How the New Science of Consciousness Explains Our Insatiable Search for Meaning
  • Why Do I Do That?
  • Co-Opetition
  • High Probability Trading: Take the Steps to Become a Successful Trader
Dylan Evans is the founder of Projection Point, the global leader in risk intelligence solutions. He has written several popular science books, including Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty (2012), Emotion: The Science of Sentiment (2001) and Placebo: The Belief Effect (2003), and in 2001 he was voted one of the twenty best young writers in Britain by the Independent on Sunday. He rece ...more
More about Dylan Evans...