Start by marking “Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters” as Want to Read:
Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters

Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A mother’s love is unconditional: There are quiet snuggles, off-key sing-alongs, un-controllable belly laughs, and daily miracles that only a parent can understand. Heather Armstrong first wrote to her daughter when Leta was just eight weeks old. For the next five years, Heather wrote a letter every month, capturing the ups and downs of motherhood and chronicling the miles ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Dear Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Daughter

Brooke Berry
If you haven’t read dooce dot com you are surely living under a rock. Heather is the funniest writer I have ever read. She has a talent of taking the most mundane moments of motherhood and making you laugh till you pee your pants. Each month from 8 weeks old to 5 years she writes a letter to her daughter marking major milestones from walking, first words, throwing food across the room, a parents weekend away. Her letters have a way of helping you laugh through the pain (in my case as my 6 month ...more
Don't let the time it took me to finish this book be a representation of how good it is, really I could have finished it in one day if I didn't designate the as my 1 min of relief from the kids a day book. I loved it and I think I will start reading it again too. It reminds me so much of what my kids do, and so I love even more how it stirs up my own memories of when they were little. She did a great job of painting a good picture with only a couple pages each entry to do it in. I recommend this ...more
Asha Carlos
Dear Daughter is a compilation of letters where the author, Armstrong chronicles details of her daughter, Leta’s milestone for a period of 5 years from when Leta was 8 weeks old to 5 years old. Armstrong opens up to the reader as she shares intimate memories, raw emotions, the ups and downs of motherhood in the most profound manner. Readers will be moved to laughter, tears and utter amazement as Leta’s achievements such as her first steps, throwing food across the room and her first words are do ...more
Amber Koppenhofer
There isn't too much to say about this book. Its greatest quality is the concept, which is extremely inspiring. I love the idea of writing letters to my children (and loved ones in general) to read when they are older and wish it is something I thought of myself, and sooner. The actual content is cute, and entertaining at times, but not real high on the page turning or wow factor. It's an okay book made out of a great idea, and something Armstrong's daughter will no doubt cherish one day.
I enjoyed the book, as I enjoy all of Heather Armstrong's writing. This collection of letters to her daughter, Leta, is a great group of memories that is beneficial in explaining the fun, weird, difficult, but still awesome parts of raising a kid.

The reason it's not rated higher is that it's mainly entries from her blog that have been pared down. I've read her blog, so I already knew most of these stories, but it was still a fun read.
I like Dooce so i'm not surprised I liked this. It made me appreciate how parents/adults can easily chalk up life with kids as a chore when really it could be viewed as special and leanring and all those other magical things we forget in the day-to-day-ness of it all. a good quick read.
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Sweet, wonderful & heart-warming. Anyone who has ever raised a child will love this book. It brought back multiple memories of my kids when they were babies & made me reflect on the last 8 months I have had with my Baby Andrew. <3 you kiddies.
I wish I had thought to write down a bunch of milestones that Ben made. These were really funny and helped me to focus on all the goods things you see in your child instead of wanting to kill them every day for bad behavior.
I really liked this book. Although I had heard of the blogger/author I hadn't actually read anything from her website so this was all new for me to enjoy. Great writing style.
First part was funny, but it got old real quick. Might have enjoyed it more if I was younger.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
This was such a cute book. It made me want to be a mom. :) Official review forthcoming.
Adorable! Super cute mothers day gift. Quick read.
Cresa Caso
Cresa Caso marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Nora Winslow
Nora Winslow marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Lenea marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Amy Hayes
Amy Hayes marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Leslie Chen
Leslie Chen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Esraa marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Tiffany Haynes
Tiffany Haynes marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Angie Neske
Angie Neske is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2015
Sky Sanchez-Fischer
Sky Sanchez-Fischer is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2015
Glaiza Macabali
Glaiza Macabali marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Chandel marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Camilla N
Camilla N marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Before I Say Good-Bye
  • The Jade Rabbit
  • Gooseberry Island
  • Cottage by the Sea (Hideaway #3)
  • After Us (Before & After, #2)
  • Wish You Were Here (Wish You Were Here, #1)
  • The River Rose (Water Wheel #2)
  • The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)
  • Enduring Light (Borrowed Light #2)
  • Waiting for April
  • Five Miles South of Peculiar
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • Just Pru
  • Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother
  • Darkroom
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • After All (Hanover Falls, #3)
  • The Broken Road (Alpine, #3)
My name is Heather B. Armstrong. Some of you may remember me as Heather B. Hamilton. I am married to a charming geek named Jon. We live in Salt Lake City, Utah, with our four-year-old daughter, Leta Elise, and our six-year-old SuperMutt, Chuck, and a ten-month-old miniature Australian Shepherd, Coco. The chaos in our house is unreal.
More about Heather B. Armstrong...