Start by marking “Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child” as Want to Read:
Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child

Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
REQUIRED READING FOR PARENTS WHO WANT TO GIVE THEIR CHILD THE BEST START IN LIFE

Must your charming five-month-old turn into a tiny terror? Are the "terrible twos" and public tantrums inevitable? Burton White, author of the classic The First Three Years of Life, doesn't think so. Basing his recommendations on thirty-seven years of research and observation, White shows how t
Published August 1st 1995 by Touchstone (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child

Erika
This was a helpful book for me since I am a first-time parent and really have no idea what to expect from my son now that he is entering the toddler stage. I have seen other toddlers that are extremely spoiled and I want to prevent that as much as possible.

My son just turned one, so I just quickly skimmed the part on birth to 14 mos. The author says there are three major goals for a 14 month old, which are satisfying curiosity, developing motor skills and enjoying social interaction. He state t
Aurgh this book was awful! While I agree with the scant concrete advice the author has to offer, this is the structure of each chapter:

Lots of ways in which your child can be spoiled, manipulates you and generally can ruin your life FOREVER
A page or so on some lame techniques to supposedly prevent the above

I don't believe my one year old wants to ruin my life- I think he is developing like a normal toddler and therefore feels frustration, etc. This book encouraged me to view my child with suspic
Melanie
I thought that most of the advice in this book was very practical. I do think he is right about letting babies explore, not giving them another obstacle to conquer by putting socks or shoes on their feet, not apologizing for putting diapers on them. etc. However, I will not be sitting my daughter down and holding her by her shoulders tight enough so she doesn't move after she does something I don't like.
Katharine
My MOL gave me this book and I read it while pregnant and continue to read it now that my baby is toddler. I shared this book with several friends since I thought it gave valuable information to prevent raising a spoiled brat. Some of the research is dated to the 70's but, it still applies to today. Also respecting this author's opinion, i went out and purchased "The NEW First Three Years of Life".
Gretchen Decker
I learned that avoiding the terrible twos can start as early as 5 months when babies discover the "intentional cry for company." This is a parred down version of "The New First Three Years of Life" and easier to read when sleepy.
Rita
Very practical and realistic information....I am a first time parent so I'm still searching and molding my own parenting style, this gave me some good tidbits to include and I refer back to it quite often.
Liz
Interesting commentary on a question I've wondered about: they always say you can't spoil a baby, so when can you spoil a child? Read this book for the answer. (It's earlier than you might think.)
Ruth
cliffs notes:
be firm, set boundaries. don't let your kids walk all over you.
pretty good stuff.

what I got out of it?
dustin throws his food on the floor, mealtime is OVER.
the end.
Bobbie Mauss
I enjoyed reading this book. I didn't gain a lot of new information out of it however it did make me a bit more diligent in the methods we were already using to raise our son.
Emalia Tillotson
John and I really liked the ideas in this book and it gave us an feel for how our baby was developing socially which was really helpful.
Aurilie Eckenrode
Aurilie Eckenrode is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Yousef
Yousef marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Janet
Janet is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Oula Kahaleh
Oula Kahaleh marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Noor Doukmak
Noor Doukmak marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Noha
Noha marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New First Three Years of Life: Completely Revised and Updated The First Three Years Of Life A Parent's Guide to the First Three Years Experience and Environment: Major Influences on the Development of the Young Child: v. 1 (Early Childhood) First Three Years of Life