Gears of War: The Slab

Gears of War: The Slab (Gears of War #5)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  23 reviews
MARCUS FENIX. WAR HERO. LOYAL SON. TRAITOR.

Ten years after Emergence Day, as the Locust Horde advances on humanity’s last defended area—Ephyra—in a bloody war that has seen billions die, Marcus Fenix does the unthinkable: he defies orders and abandons his post during a critical battle in a bid to rescue his father, weapons scientist Adam Feni...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 2012)

Charlene
I've enjoyed all of Karen Traviss's Gears of War books so far, and The Slab is no exception. Covering the topic of Marcus's court-martial and incarceration, I knew it was going to be an intense story. I wasn't disappointed. As always, the characters she presented were multi-dimensional and believable, and I spent a great deal of the book breathlessly turning pages.

The sections of the book dealing with the Slab itself were quite believable to my mind, including how she chose to write her guards....more
Tonchi
Creo que cuando empecé este libro esperaba demasiado, considerando los anteriores libros de Traviss yo pensé que este iba a estar al mismo nivel, y lamentablemente no, no es malo como tal, de ahí que sean 3 estrellas, pero sin embargo, creo que le falta carnita.

A diferencia de los libros anteriores ahora no maneja dos lineas de tiempo, sino que se centra nada mas en los hechos que pasan entre los años 10 y 14 después del día E, más específicamente sobre que es lo que hace Marcus para terminar en...more
Andrew
I believe that this is the first Gears book that is set entirely in the past without any jump into current events. So as a full prequel, it does a beautiful job of linking into the beginning of Gears of War (Xbox 360). The story perfectly fills in the little details between the events of the first game and what we’ve been reading in her past Gears’ novels that were otherwise off or did not appear to line up. I couldn’t help but smile whenever these things came up. As usual, Karen Travis excels a...more
Michael Alexander Henke
When Gears of War first starts Marcus Fenix is in a prison cell, and we don't really know too much about why he's there. This book explains everything leading up to the start of the first game, why he's there, what he's been doing, and everything else that's been going on around him. While it is a prequel, the book also does make mention of some things that aren't revealed until Gears of War 3, so you should probably have played that before reading this.
All of the Gears of War novels have been r...more
Krissy
I really enjoyed this book because as a fan its nice to get more back story on our favorite characters and especially those involved with Marcus (and of course about Marcus himself.)
For those that had many questions about Marcus in GOW 3, (how he wound up in prison and why he was there and what his story was) this book will help fill in those blanks for players. (although that question is mentioned in the game) players will know bits and pieces but if players/readers want more in depth back sto...more
Greg
Great book. One of the better stories in the series. Makes me want to go back and play all the games again.
Brad Wheeler
Call this 3.5 stars.

It took me awhile to decide how to rate this book. On the one hand, I'm a fan of Karen Traviss, and when it comes to military-style action there are few better writers (funny how the best military SF seems to be tie-in novels...). This book is no exception, and if it had been nothing but action and dudes being badass I would've rated it higher. Those sections were awesome.

But there's a ton of navel-gazing in between the action. The book is mostly about Marcus Fenix and what...more
Jasper
i believe this is the fifth novel in the Gears of War book series and it was a decent read. for hardcore fans of the franchise, it offers a ton more insight into the relationships between Marcus and his father, Adam, as well as with Dom, Anya and Hoffman. the other concurrent storyline deals with Adam Fenix's relocation to Azura, the secret island facility housing Sera's best and brightest scientists and analysts.
the best parts of the book were about Chairman Prescott outsmarting everyone he com...more
Robert
I've finally hit my limit with Karen Traviss's oeuvre of books based on video game franchises with "The Slab". While previous Gears novels by Traviss provided some well-paced, much needed backstory (or even inter-story), "The Slab" serves as a collection of all of Traviss's worst traits as a writer wrapped inside the answer to a question that didn't need answering. Nothing interesting happens until the end? Check. Lots of soul-searching and hand wringing? Check. Awesome super protagonists with c...more
Relstuart
This book is a prequal. It tells the story of how Marcus was/why was court-martialed. It has Traviss' typical character development skills at work. Overall I enjoyed it but it contained slightly less action than normal. The author was also contrained by the timeframe she had to place the story in so the characters could only progress and mature so much because this story had to fit inbetween two others. The prison life part was ok, it seemed to be lacking something. Maybe because most of the boo...more
Greenwood1
very good book, a bit slow at first not your typical gears of war speed and action. more drama following Fenix is time in prison that take place before the first game. as well following Adam (fenix's dad) is research on the locust and finally Dom try take Fenix out of the prison. so 3/4 of the book is slow pace but really dramatic between character. but you do have some part some GOW action in it. If you want know story before the 1 st game you will like this book. But if you dont care and just...more
Adam
If you enjoy this series and Karen Traviss' writing, then you will thoroughly enjoy this read. My only complaint is that it was the last book in the series! i would love to read more about this world, including the stories that took place in the games, that are not written about. Also having this in the beginning of the series would have made much more sense. Traviss' character exploration is great and even the side characters are engaging. Definitley recommend this book!
Benn Jones
This book has some hefty chapters, I can never stop reading a book before the end of a chapter and this book contains probably the longest chapters I have ever read, I mean as a constant throughout. It also risks overlapping with the game as apposed to stopping just before it, but I think it doppled well and gives you a real insight to how they really start. As apposed to the games, oh your out of prison now you kill everything kind of feel.
Kate
If you are a fan of the Gears Of War video games, you will enjoy this book as it adds extra depth to the characters of the game, particularly Marcus Fenix.
Jaimelyn Thomas
Traviss has yet to disappoint! This book was as fantastic as her others. She understands and portrays her characters in such ways that they simply come alive. She somehow delves into the minimal character development of the game and explodes with personality. She makes you care about their struggles. A must read for Gears fans!!
Dawie
Karen Travis takes us back in time to show just what exactly happend and why Markus Fenix was sent to jail all those years ago,Realy liked reading all these books in the Gears of War series. Strongly recommend it for any fan out there.
Yoshi
Brilliant prequel to the first Gears Of War game. Karen Traviss is such a goddamn brilliant writer! I'm gonna re-read the whole series again. And I've never done that before.

Delta out!
Mohammad Al-rumaithi
I liked this book since I saw this book in the store called chapters I saw this I read the back of it I feel interested of reading it
Juan
Love how it ties into The first gears Of war video game. karen Traviss Did a awesome job with these books.
Paul Threapleton
Fantastic finally to the series... I have read these books twice now, and they never get old.
Sean Mccormick
This is a pretty darn good book, and if you're a fan of the series, add this to your list.
Gabriel Csabai
As usual, great book.
Perfect to complete the whole story.

Now I'm going to replay each game. :)
Sam
For fans only, but that's fairly obvious
Mariusz Borowski
Mariusz Borowski marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
May Blanch
May Blanch marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Matthew Ciarvella
Matthew Ciarvella is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Halo: The Cole Protocol
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Halo: Primordium
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Dead Space: Catalyst
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
  • Alan Wake
  • Halo: Uprising
  • Diablo III: The Order (Diablo, #8)
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award nominated Wess'har series, as well as regularly hitting the bestseller lists with her Halo, Gears of War, and Star Wars work. A former defence correspondent and TV and newspaper journalist, she lives in Wiltshire, England.
More about Karen Traviss...
Sacrifice (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #5) Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2) Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #1) Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8) Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)