Start by marking “You're a Grand Old Flag” as Want to Read:
You're a Grand Old Flag

You're a Grand Old Flag

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.

Written in 1906 by George M. Cohan, "You're a Grand Old Flag" has been a favorite celebration song for generations of Americans. Now see it brought to life like never before as it is set with images of Americana, by the master of all things patriotic, Norman Rockwell. Children run to th
Published October 18th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about You're a Grand Old Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're a Grand Old Flag

Heidi
This has the country look to it, which I'm not the biggest fan of. But it's nice. I liked the facts at the end--I didn't know some of them. Not quite sure if I'll read this in my America storytime--doesn't quite show what I would like. Though I could have the kids look for the flag in each picture....
Jasmine Olivia
The girls really enjoyed reading this book. Well, SINGING! lol We learned a new song last night. :)
Lori
This is a beautiful book. My only criticism is that the pages were not thick, and presentation matters. I love to turn pages on children's picture books when they are nice quality, and especially when the book contains special history or famous artwork.

The illustrations are Norman Rockwell's famous paintings and the text is lyrics to the song "You're a Grand Old Flag."

A great book to teach children this popular patriotic song and Norman Rockwell's art.
Suz
I picked up the hardcover edition of this book at the East Tennessee Historical Center's book shop. I love the Norman Rockwell paintings used to illustrate the phrases from the song. It will be a wonderful read-aloud to start a lesson on point-of-view, perceptions, cultural assumptions, change over time, etc.
Adrith Bicchieri
This picture book is a love-letter to Americana, with the lyrics to Mr. Cohan’s “You’re a Grand Old Flag” accompanied by folk-art patriotic images painted on distressed wood. The book includes interesting facts about the song and flag, and the musical notation for the song.
Hilary
Okay. It's patriotic and its a good song. But I cannot like the illustrations. Primitive doesn't appeal to me. It might be more fun to simply sing and wave a flag, instead.
Melanie
Love the primitive-style illustrations in this book depicting the well-known patriotic song. I think this would make a perfect coffee table book!
Jamie
The song lyrics are illustrated with actual Norman Rockwell paintings. Very patriotic and a wonderful slice of Americana!
Kathryn
The lyrics to a wonderful song with many of Norman Rockwells paintings depicting America.
Amy
Great coffee table book for July. Illustrations go with lyrics to the song.
Zoe Basil
Zoe Basil marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Trisha
Trisha added it
May 13, 2014
Karawan
Karawan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Ava
Ava added it
Sep 02, 2013
Anita Latham
Anita Latham marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Seven keys to Baldpate; a mysterious melodramatic farce, in a prologue, two acts, and an epilogue Twenty Years On Broadway, And The Years It Took To Get There; The True Story Of A Trouper's Life From The Cradle To The "Closed Shop" The Tavern The Yankee Doodle Boy (I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy) You're a Grand Old Flag