Start by marking “Boy Wonders” as Want to Read:
Boy Wonders

Boy Wonders

Have you ever wondered, quizzically thought?

Have questions or queries that make you distraught?

If you need to inquire,

Then you might require

A book such as this.

(It’s not to be missed.)

Pull up a chair, throw your hand in the air.

He’ll answer your questions

…and answer with flair!

For all those “why why why” kids out there, Calef Brown has a few questions of his own: Is wate
Published June 28th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Boy Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Wonders

Carmen
Aug 15, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Do bees get hives?
Do onions cry?
Is pepper apt to sneeze?
Do paper plates and two-by-fours remember being trees?

This book plays with the English language as if it were a toy.

If I'm too tired, am I a bike?

Kids who like language will be delighted by this book's wordplay and ugly but fun illustrations.

When in doubt, throw in a potty joke. Kids love potty humor.

If mud in a puddle makes it muddled,
do kiddie pools become piddled?

LOL Clever.

Tl;dr - Even though the illustrations are a bit ugly, this is a
Molly
This would be great for elementary school students. A wealth of language, expressions and rhymes.
Clare Cannon
Jul 18, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 04-8yrs
A good book to give young questioning boys... my brother would have loved it as a kid. Word-plays and wonderings abound, all of them nonsense based upon sense... just the way they like it.
Shawna
Apr 10, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cleverly written, although some parts don't quite work. Good book to use for vocabulary and figurative language.
Katie Fitzgerald
Boy Wonders is a picture book that contains not a story per se, but a collection of questions that play with words and encourage kids to think outside the box. The boy who narrates the story opens by asking:

May I ask you something?
Are you ever perplexed?
Completely vexed?
Do you have questions?
Queries?
Odd theories?

Then he goes on to tell us of his own "ponderings," which include such questions as:

Do paper plates and two by fours remember being trees?
Do all giraffes have high pitched laughs?
If mud
Tara
Sep 15, 2011 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Boy Wonders" may be a case where trying too hard to be clever backfires and becomes eye-rollingly annoying to grown-up readers. However, it will probably amuse pre-k through grade 2 reader/listeners. Calef Brown's illustrations are by far the highlight of this book, his acrylic paintings bring a great energy and folk-abstract charm to each page. If you can get past lines such as: "Is there any truth to the old myth that gargoyles use garlic oil to gargle with" and "Are baked clams okay for clam ...more
Barbara
Oct 27, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
There's plenty about which to wonder when considering the world around us, and in this clever book written in rhyming text, a boy does, indeed, wonder, about all manner of things from whether onions cry or phones are annoyed when no one calls to how questions make others feel. There is much wordplay to enjoy in the book's pages as the author messes around with words such as ladder and latter and forage and porridge. The acrylic illustrations add to the fun, insuring that this one will get more t ...more
Angie
Perfect for a vocabulary lesson and the illustrations really make the book. Calef Brown is a favorite for painterly, whimsical illustrations and if these look familiar check out his website. He is a freelance illustrator with many very well known corporate clients. Chances are you've seen his work somewhere. It's what drew me in when I ordered this book for my library's collection. His children's books are 100% terrific especially for sections on poetry that is silly and thought provoking. This ...more
Magila
2.5

Things I liked:

Illustrations.
Some rhymes.
The idea.

Thing I didn't like:

Wretch-inducing puns that were a tremendous stretch.

The problem was, I didn't like that one thing so much! There was so much promise with this book, I was bummed that it didn't deliver. It was almost like the author had 2/3 of this awesome book, and then stuffed some garbage-o in there to fill it out.

Borrow it.
TW Mystery Reader
A young boy's questions lead to more and more questions, but there do not seem to be any answers.

I would classify this book as poetic and clever; mildly humorous. It has excellent rhyme and a good play with language. The illustrations are wonderful and add to the humor. Younger children may be lost by the play on words, but 3rd graders will enjoy it.

I recommend the reader practice reading this book aloud to get a sense of the cadence of the language. Some lines are tongue-twisters!
Linda
I do wonder myself why this is only about a boy? Yet it is a clever book, showing all kinds of wonderings, sometimes punning, sometimes rhyming. The book is filled with action in the doodle-like drawings, set in colorful backgrounds. A young boy wanders through the pages, wondering things like “Are baked clams okay for clambakes and bake sales alike?” or “If I’m too tired, am I a bike?” It’s a terrific book for introducing questions and wonderings!
Nancy
Aug 19, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Taking language to that place where it is part sculpture, part music, part checkers: "If mud in a puddle makes it muddled, do kiddie pools become piddled?"
Sometimes I can't decide if these are groaningly clever or wonderfully so: "If I'm too tired, am I a bike?"
Some of are so fun I'm in love: "Does it take courage to make porridge in a village where bears forage?"
Boni
Nov 24, 2010 Boni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I think a lot of the concepts/questions/ponderings here will go over kids' heads, and some of the "wonders" are led by the rhyme, the wordplay and rhythm are magnificent and this is a really fun book to read aloud.
Megan
Jul 19, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd grade and up
This book consists mainly of questions involving play on words:

"Do clouds get jealous during storms and steal each other's thunder?"

"If I'm too tired, am I a bike?"

No answers are provided, but the questions themselves will tickle readers.
Danielle
Sep 17, 2013 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the illustrations better than the text in this one. Sadly I'm never a huge fan of nonsense, so it's just not for me. Some of the questions begged to be answered, others seemed kind of obtuse.

Kim
Dec 12, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, older-picture
cute picture book for older kids. The boy in the book wonders about many things such as "do bees get hives" and "{do all giraffes have high pitched laughs"
Mary N
Jan 30, 2012 Mary N rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyra2013
Good book for 3rd to 5th graders, with big words to increase their vocabulary. It may work for school-age storytime.
Edward Sullivan
Whacky questions and strange illustrations.
Stacy Ford
Dec 01, 2011 Stacy Ford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will use this when starting a guided inquiry lesson or big think unit.
Kim Patton
Question upon question using large vocabulary to make humorous rhymes. While I didn't know if she'd even understand half of it because of the vocabulary, my kindergarten daughter enjoyed it.
Melissa
Sep 17, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Not my book, that's all. Plus all I can think of when I see the cover is that old Aztec Camera song.
Natalie
Really want to confuse someone learning English as second language? Here you go... or if you like adventurous rhyme schemes and playing with words you might keep it for yourself.
Stefani
Jul 21, 2011 Stefani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-picture
I enjoyed the word play and thought-provoking questions, regardless of how silly. I didn't always get the rhythm to the rhyme, but this would fit well for older kids and in classroom discussions.
Jamie
Oct 08, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I can't wait to share it with my students. It is a great QUESTION book.
Joellen Mccarthy
Aug 26, 2014 Joellen Mccarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mentor-texts
This will be a great mentor texts to use to connect with and use to introduce - Wonderopolis. Inquiring minds will enjoy the possibilities and be ready for wonders of the day .
Kristin
Jul 19, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading the questions of this inquisitive boy. My favorite was: Do clouds get jealous during storms, and steal each other's thunder?
Peacegal
Nice illustrations...but I pity the person who has to read it aloud.
Paula
Karen
Nov 23, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book COULD have been amazing. However, it falls all over itself and a bit short of that goal. I think maybe too much corny humor was added?
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012