Start by marking “Boy Wonders” as Want to Read:
Boy Wonders

Boy Wonders

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Have you ever wondered, quizzically thought?

Have questions or queries that make you distraught?

If you need to inquire,

Then you might require

A book such as this.

(It’s not to be missed.)

Pull up a chair, throw your hand in the air.

He’ll answer your questions

…and answer with flair!

For all those “why why why” kids out there, C
Published June 28th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Boy Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Wonders

Clare Cannon
A good book to give young questioning boys... my brother would have loved it as a kid. Word-plays and wonderings abound, all of them nonsense based upon sense... just the way they like it.
Shawna
Cleverly written, although some parts don't quite work. Good book to use for vocabulary and figurative language.
Molly
This would be great for elementary school students. A wealth of language, expressions and rhymes.
Joellen Mccarthy
This will be a great mentor texts to use to connect with and use to introduce - Wonderopolis. Inquiring minds will enjoy the possibilities and be ready for wonders of the day .
Tara
"Boy Wonders" may be a case where trying too hard to be clever backfires and becomes eye-rollingly annoying to grown-up readers. However, it will probably amuse pre-k through grade 2 reader/listeners. Calef Brown's illustrations are by far the highlight of this book, his acrylic paintings bring a great energy and folk-abstract charm to each page. If you can get past lines such as: "Is there any truth to the old myth that gargoyles use garlic oil to gargle with" and "Are baked clams okay for clam ...more
Angie
Perfect for a vocabulary lesson and the illustrations really make the book. Calef Brown is a favorite for painterly, whimsical illustrations and if these look familiar check out his website. He is a freelance illustrator with many very well known corporate clients. Chances are you've seen his work somewhere. It's what drew me in when I ordered this book for my library's collection. His children's books are 100% terrific especially for sections on poetry that is silly and thought provoking. This ...more
Barbara
There's plenty about which to wonder when considering the world around us, and in this clever book written in rhyming text, a boy does, indeed, wonder, about all manner of things from whether onions cry or phones are annoyed when no one calls to how questions make others feel. There is much wordplay to enjoy in the book's pages as the author messes around with words such as ladder and latter and forage and porridge. The acrylic illustrations add to the fun, insuring that this one will get more t ...more
TW Mystery Reader
A young boy's questions lead to more and more questions, but there do not seem to be any answers.

I would classify this book as poetic and clever; mildly humorous. It has excellent rhyme and a good play with language. The illustrations are wonderful and add to the humor. Younger children may be lost by the play on words, but 3rd graders will enjoy it.

I recommend the reader practice reading this book aloud to get a sense of the cadence of the language. Some lines are tongue-twisters!
Linda
I do wonder myself why this is only about a boy? Yet it is a clever book, showing all kinds of wonderings, sometimes punning, sometimes rhyming. The book is filled with action in the doodle-like drawings, set in colorful backgrounds. A young boy wanders through the pages, wondering things like “Are baked clams okay for clambakes and bake sales alike?” or “If I’m too tired, am I a bike?” It’s a terrific book for introducing questions and wonderings!
Magila
2.5

Things I liked:

Illustrations.
Some rhymes.
The idea.

Thing I didn't like:

Wretch-inducing puns that were a tremendous stretch.

The problem was, I didn't like that one thing so much! There was so much promise with this book, I was bummed that it didn't deliver. It was almost like the author had 2/3 of this awesome book, and then stuffed some garbage-o in there to fill it out.

Borrow it.
Nancy
Taking language to that place where it is part sculpture, part music, part checkers: "If mud in a puddle makes it muddled, do kiddie pools become piddled?"
Sometimes I can't decide if these are groaningly clever or wonderfully so: "If I'm too tired, am I a bike?"
Some of are so fun I'm in love: "Does it take courage to make porridge in a village where bears forage?"
Megan
Apr 12, 2012 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd grade and up
This book consists mainly of questions involving play on words:

"Do clouds get jealous during storms and steal each other's thunder?"

"If I'm too tired, am I a bike?"

No answers are provided, but the questions themselves will tickle readers.
Boni
Although I think a lot of the concepts/questions/ponderings here will go over kids' heads, and some of the "wonders" are led by the rhyme, the wordplay and rhythm are magnificent and this is a really fun book to read aloud.
Danielle
I liked the illustrations better than the text in this one. Sadly I'm never a huge fan of nonsense, so it's just not for me. Some of the questions begged to be answered, others seemed kind of obtuse.

Kim Patton
Question upon question using large vocabulary to make humorous rhymes. While I didn't know if she'd even understand half of it because of the vocabulary, my kindergarten daughter enjoyed it.
Stefani
I enjoyed the word play and thought-provoking questions, regardless of how silly. I didn't always get the rhythm to the rhyme, but this would fit well for older kids and in classroom discussions.
Natalie
Really want to confuse someone learning English as second language? Here you go... or if you like adventurous rhyme schemes and playing with words you might keep it for yourself.
Kim
cute picture book for older kids. The boy in the book wonders about many things such as "do bees get hives" and "{do all giraffes have high pitched laughs"
Kristin
I really enjoyed reading the questions of this inquisitive boy. My favorite was: Do clouds get jealous during storms, and steal each other's thunder?
Mary N
Good book for 3rd to 5th graders, with big words to increase their vocabulary. It may work for school-age storytime.
Melissa
Not my book, that's all. Plus all I can think of when I see the cover is that old Aztec Camera song.
Jamie
I love this book! I can't wait to share it with my students. It is a great QUESTION book.
Paula
Stacy Ford
I will use this when starting a guided inquiry lesson or big think unit.
Peacegal
Nice illustrations...but I pity the person who has to read it aloud.
Edward Sullivan
Whacky questions and strange illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Polkabats and Octopus Slacks: 14 Stories Flamingos on the Roof Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium Hallowilloween: Nefarious Silliness from Calef Brown Dutch Sneakers and Fleakeepers: 14 More Stories