Start by marking “Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops” as Want to Read:
Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops

Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Inspired by her own granddaughter Natalie, Vice President Joe Biden’s wife, Jill, tells a story through a child’s eyes of what family life is like when a parent is at war across the world.

When her father leaves for a year of being at war, Natalie knows that she will miss him. Natalie is proud of her father, but there is nothing to stop her from wishing
Published June 5th 2012 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops

Heidi
I liked this book because it's a powerful reminder that it isn't just soldiers who serve, their whole families do. They all make sacrifices including being away from each other a lot, moving from assignment to assignment with children giving up schools, friends, and time with family in the process. This is a sweet, simple story that illustrates some of those challenges in a way that is appropriate for young children. Colon's beautiful illustrations highlight the text perfectly. The book also inc ...more
Dorlissa
This is a picture book about a girl named Natalie whose father is deployed in the military and how she deals with him being gone. I thought that it was a very well done book that other children will be able to relate to and understand what their friends might be going through if they have military parents.

From a text-to-self point of view I can relate to this book because I didn't get to see my dad much for a while in my childhood and I have also had a cousin serve in the military and go oversea
Kimberly Walton Mayden
Second lady Jill Biden has written a heart-warming, non-political book honoring the family members of those who serve in our military. Based on her granddaughter Natalie’s own personal experience during her father’s deployment (Biden's own son), this story portrays how a child is impacted when a parent is called to serve our country.

Five-year-old Natalie’s father is deported for a year to serve overseas. She misses him dearly, but is reminded to stay brave for her family members. The sentence “
Valerie Jones
A beautiful book for children who’s loved one is serving in the military

When a family member is serving in the military, it can be really difficult for children to understand and cope with the loss of a loved one when they must go overseas. In this story, when five-year-old Natalie’s father departs for a year of military service overseas, although she is very proud of her father, she is upset and knows that she will miss him very much.

Natalie finds support and friendship in her school, church, n
Barbara
This picture book, based on the experiences of the author's own grandchild, would be an excellent title to use with children whose parents are in military service. While five-year-old Natalie's father is serving his country, she waits at home for him to return and does her part, drawing strength from the knowledge that she is loved but also missing him desperately and longing for his return. The book depicts perfectly the complicated emotions that swirl through children whose families have been ...more
Heidi
Well, the writing isn't the best. But the main part of this book is for its message. And having my own military family member, and having watched his wife and children endure more than one deployment, this book was touching as a remembrance and a reminder.

I'm thinking of having it on display for my Father's Day theme.
Elaine
Emily Hilkemann
Natalie’s daddy has to go off to war, because he is a soldier. While he is gone Natalie has to be very brave, even though she misses him. “Don’t Forget, God Bless Our Troops” is a great reminder to kids what it is like for other kids with parents in the military. I would recommend this for grades kindergarten through fourth. A great activity for a classroom after reading this would be to have the kids write letters or put together care packages to send to soldiers.

Biden, J., & Colón, R. (20
Lydia Moses
I read this book because my brother is in the military and it made me realize I do not have any books about kids who have to deal with parents in the military. This story is about a girl who's father leaves for a year at war. This book gives some creative ideas about how to cope with the missing family member. This book is also written by the Second lady herself, Jill Biden. This could not only tie in with a discussion about history, but it could help student's whose parents have been deployed. ...more
Romelle
This is a great book for military kids. It helps them deal with life while their parent is on duty. "Be brave, Natalie" is repeated throughout the story as Natalie goes through her daily activities, missing her dad. Told in 3rd person, this book deals with important issues and is a nice tribute to servicemen and their families. There are also excellent resources in the back of the book:
-Author's note
-About our military
-How you can help
-How to reach our to military children
-Tips for kids
-Additina
JoEllen Mccarthy
I was very moved by this book. The lead hooks you in and stirs emotions. "Does Daddy have to go?" The narrator is a little girl dealing with her father's deployment. Thoughout the text we see her thinking about him: hoping he is safe, talking via Skype, and missing him terribly. I think this is a great resource to share with students, especially those that may relate -due to the sacrifices of loved ones. As the daughter of a Vietnam Vet, I was especially moved by the many resources listed in the ...more
Marissa Reyes
The book Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops written by Jill Biden will always be a considered a timeless piece of writing because the branches of service will always exist so the adults and children involved years from now will still feel the sting of deployment and be able to relate to the text. This book was absolutely amazing and I will read it over and over again.
Andd Becker
Jill Biden's five-year-old granddaughter lives in a military family. Her father has been deployed to Iraq for a year. The text includes repetition of some words encouraging the girl to be brave.
Ideas are presented at the back of the book for how both adults and children can help military children.
ms.cawley
I suppose it's a nice little book to read with a small child in a military family, but the story was uneventful. I also found the illustrations to be a little creepy, but I won't reserve judgement because of my taste.

There were some good companion pages, but not enough to redeem the whole book.
Sara
Again, a book I was 'assigned' to read. Though a fictional story, I did find some of the information from the author about organizations to help and facts on the percentage of service members. Though I wouldn't likely use this in a storytime setting, I would suggest it to a military family.
Stormye Hendrix
It's a straight forward story about a young girl dealing with her dad being away in the military. There is nothing especially wonderful about it, but children of military personnel might find it comforting and relatable.
Meghan
I thought it was a good book. Its intention was to help non military individuals understand what a. child experiences when their parent is deployed, but it can definitely be used by a military family.
Olivia Jackson
This is a wonderful book to keep on the shelf in case you have a students who has a parent in the military. Since this book has a happy ending it would be very appropriate to recommend to an Army child.
Donalyn
Extremely moving account of one family's experiences while the dad is deployed overseas. Information about supporting military families, particularly children, included in the back matter.
Amy
pleasant illustrations. a very nice way to introduce children to the challenge and bravery needed in loving loved ones in the military and loved ones waiting for their return.
Caitlin Hoffer
Accidentally almost started crying in B&N. My husband just deployed, and while I don't have kids, one reference to Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros slaughtered me.
Megan Lee
Great book that is heart warming every time we read it. Gives a wonderful message.
Rachel
An important topic, but the overall effect is didactic and to perfect.
Jamie
This was such a cute book that brought tears to my eyes.
Shannon
Celebrity books, Y U GOTTA BE SO BAD? All of the always. :(
Jen
Gave me chills. Very well written.
Kathy E.
Sweet but dull.
Amy Broring
Amy Broring marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015