Start by marking “Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)

Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana #1)

In Beartooth, Montana, land and family are everything. So when Destry Grant's brother is accused of killing Rylan West's sister, high school sweethearts Destry and Rylan leave their relationship behind in order to help their families recover from tragedy.

Years later, Destry is dedicated to her ranch and making plans for the future. Plans that just might include reuniting w
Published November 20th 2012 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unforgiven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgiven

Jonetta
Rylan West returns home after an 11-year absence following the murder of his sister. Destry Grant was the love of his life until her brother, Carson, was suspected to be the murderer. Now he's returned, too, and all the questions and suspicions resurface.

This reads more like mystery/suspense with romantic elements as the romance didn't develop until near the end. I had zero investment in Rylan and Destry's relationship because it was too far in the background. However, I enjoyed the story for t
Susan
Nov 18, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Eleven years after his sister's murder and the end of his romance with Destry, Rylan has returned to Beartooth. He's tired of living on the road. When Destry's brother Carson, who was suspected of Ginny's murder, returns, Rylan is determined to find the proof to put him behind bars. This puts him in conflict with Destry yet again, as she is still certain of Carson's innocence. I liked both Rylan and Destry. Rylan had some real tunnel vision when it came to Carson, he was so sure ...more
Jonel Boyko
Once again Daniels brings her world and her characters to life in a way that dares you to try and ignore them. I was emotionally engaged from the first page, but not overwhelmingly so. The multiple mysteries that wind their way through the novel add to the overarching who-dun-it plot. The suspense was riveting and the rekindled romance was so genuine that I couldn’t help but wish for the same for myself.

The characters in this novel really made my day. Daniels took everyday individuals and placed
Cherise
After reading the short story, Fallen, that introduces us to the characters and storyline I was very anxious to read this book and to find out what happened to poor Ginny. I also was eager to know what was happening with those she left behind.

Reading more like a mystery/suspense novel than a romantic suspense book I was a little disappointed with how the author chose to play things out. She pretty much casts everyone, with the exceptions of Rylan and Gentry, in an unflattering light and added su
Judith
Sep 28, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it
A beautifully crafted love story set in contemporary Montana and which tells the story of lovers who have been separated by tragedy and distance and time -- 11 years of time that has failed to dim the fire of their passion or their promise of a forever-kind of love. It is filled with the highs and lows of human emotion and also includes the web of friendship as well as the tenterhooks that bind people together--their human weaknesses, their foibles, their urges that take them in directions that ...more
Dorine
Nov 02, 2012 Dorine rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, western
4 Blue Ribbon Review courtesy of Romance Junkies. Full review also available at my blog, TBR Mountain Range. The Wests and the Grants have been at odds with one another since the murder of Ginny West and the suspicion that Carson Grant was the killer, eleven years ago. Will Destry Grant and Rylan West ever have another chance at love when the murder is solved? Or will the murders continue, endangering them all?

Ginny West's murder has hung over the town of Beartooth, Montana like a cloud, oversha
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Shey's review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 Stars

I am not a big reader of Harlequin books but I am of suspense and this book caught my eye right away. I don’t really know what the draw was but I think it had to do with the town being called Beartooth, Montana and set around the Crazy Mountains, but whatever it was I am glad that I read it. Also, I might add that I did read the first novella in the series FALLEN, it is very short and it does give you Ginny West’s point of view.

There we
Jane Stewart
Weak 3 stars. Reminds me of a TV soap opera. Mostly a mystery with red herrings.

It sounds like a colorful cast of characters in a small town with a lot of secrets, but nothing grabbed me. The characters reminded me of those in other books. Wealthy father wants to give ranch to no good son who would sell it and gamble away the money. Father won’t give his ranch or love to his daughter Destry who is competent and loves working the ranch. The son’s girlfriend Ginny was murdered. Destry and her estr
Lori Howe
Dec 02, 2012 Lori Howe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new series is going to be another hit for B.J. Daniels. The towns, the townsfolk, the twists the turns... all keep you reading and wanting to head to Montana to see the sights, if not stumble into a town that could be one of her models.
Brenda H Seales
Nov 24, 2016 Brenda H Seales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read!!!!!

I loved this story and the characters. I couldn't put it down. I recommend it to all. I can't wait to read the next one in this series. I love B J 's books.
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
4 1/2 Stars

Even eleven years after the murder of Ginny West, the town of Beartooth, Montana still reels from the unknown, especially when suspected murderer , Carson Grant returns home. Carson and Ginny had been an item before her gruesome death and even though no evidence pointed directly to Carson, many in the small town believed he was getting away with murder. Carson's sister Destry was his staunchest supporter. At the other end of the spectrum was Rylan West, Ginny's brother and the love of
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
The publisher provided me with a copy of the book to review via NetGalley.

Right from the beginning this book took hold of me, begging for my attention and throwing all kinds of interesting plot twists at every chapter.

The characters were very well developed not just their histories together but also as they made their way through the events of the story. You could see some change, others refusing to, while others made you question what they were doing at all. It didn't matter if they were minor
Rhonda
Nov 18, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I was kept guessing right until the end. Unforgiven is a whodunit that happened 11 years ago. Everyone thought they knew who killed Ginny West.
Destry Grant has stayed on the family ranch helping her father run it since he was in a plane accident and now in a wheelchair. Destry is not close to her father, he always sees his late wife when he looks at her.
11 years ago when Ginny was murdered Destry had been making love in secret with Rylan West. She always felt guilty about that.
Rylan West
Linda
May 25, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, cowboys, mystery
This is the first book in BJ's Beartooth, Montana series. I have read this series out-of-order by starting with FORSAKEN, the third book in the series. I enjoyed FORSAKEN so much, that I've gone back and read the two books that preceded it.

UNFORGIVEN is the story of Destry Grant and Rylan West. They were young and madly in love years ago before Rylan's sister, Ginny, was murdered with Destry's brother as the prime suspect. Rylan needed to get away after the murder so he escaped by taking up the
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
Rylan hasn’t seen Destry since he left after her brother was accused of killing his sister. They haven’t seen each other in years and when he sees her for the first time since he came back it brought up all sorts of emotions. He is convinced that Carson killed his only sister ad Destry swears he is innocent. Until they can figure things out it will always tear them apart.

Now Carson has come back, and new evidence has been found, but will it free Carson or get him arrested. Destry is determined t
Virginia Campbell
I am a longtime fan of romantic suspense author B.J. Daniels. I am excited about her new "Beartooth, Montana" series from HQN, which features longer-length books than B.J.'s signature Harlequin Intrigue series. "Unforgiven" is the first Beartooth, Montana title, and I loved it! The contemporary Western setting, the strongly-sketched characters and how their families intertwined and were influenced by long-held traditions of land ownership, and the intriguing mystery at the core of the story line ...more
Samantha
Dec 19, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
What happens when a serious tragedy happens that tears you apart from your one true love? What happens when years later you find each other again and realize you still love that person the same as you did all those years ago? How do you overcome the gap that has formed? In Unforgiven you are shown that true love can withstand just about anything.

Rylan's little sister was murdered when he was just out of high school. He was in love with his high school sweetheart Destry and they were making plan
Pat
Nov 13, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
My Booklist review:

The past rears up forcefully and alarmingly into the present in Montana writer Daniels’ (Wrangled, 2012) latest contemporary western tale of crime and love. When Rylan West’s sister, Ginny, is found brutally murdered, he, like everyone else in Beartooth, Montana, thinks Destry Grant’s brother, Carson, is responsible. The only problem is that Rylan and Destry are a couple. Ten years later, after they separated and Carson fled the state, Rylan is back in town. As is Carson. And
Dianne
Oct 15, 2013 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-arcs
This is a difficult to describe novel. It is part romance, part suspense and part mystery - but it is 100% pure enjoyment.
I went into this novel not in the mood for reading this type of book, yet I found myself being quickly drawn into the story and unable to put the book down. This is a novel filled with complex characters, and there are a lot of them. The idea of lovers being torn apart by tragedy is a little old hat, but B.J. does a wonderful job giving it a bit of a fresh twist.

There are man
Mari
Sep 27, 2014 Mari rated it really liked it
Eleven years ago Ginny West was murdered and Destry Grant's older brother Carson became the main suspect. This caused a rift between Destry and her boyfriend Rylan, Ginny's younger brother and he ultimately left town.

Now both Rylan and Carson are back which causes old problems to stir up again. But Destry hasn't forgotten her first and only love. But can their love survive the new evidences? And what or who is lurking in the shadows of the trees behind Destry's house?

In the beginning of this yea
Trudy Powders
Jan 05, 2013 Trudy Powders rated it it was amazing
Once again we are transported to the beauty and the harshness of Montana.We meet the Grant and West familys.Torn apart by the murder of his sister,Ginny.Rylan and Destry resent each other but never stop loving each other.Rylan believes Destrys brother Carson killed his sister Ginny.As the story unfolds we meet the towns people and become involved in all their lives.This story is full of plot twists and turns.Eventually Rylan and Destry start to believe the other and begin to work ...more
Oleander
May 24, 2015 Oleander rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, western
I really enjoyed this book right up until the end. It had so many mysteries and so many suspects, it was pure entertainment. I was going to give it 5 stars but I thought some of the things in the wrap up were hogwash. It felt like the author just snipped off a few knots rather than untangling them. The emphasis in this book is on the crime and the romance took a back seat. The scenery of this beautiful mountain area was vividly, but not boringly, described and became another character in the ...more
Joanie
Jun 08, 2013 Joanie rated it it was amazing
Carson Grant was accused of killing his girlfriend. The worse case scenario was that she was his sister, Destry's boyfriend's sister which took a toll on their relationship. Carson was out to find the killer but only dug inself deeper into people really thinking that he was guilty.
The family had secrets but everyone else in the book had them too! Their own infidelity came out. Destry found out that her father really wasn't her father but who was..
B.J. Daniels had a great way of writing with an
June
Feb 27, 2013 June rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed everything I've read by BJ Daniels, but I think this is my favorite. This was an amazing story. A cold case murder case that takes 11 years to solve. Destry's brother is accused of killing Rylan's sister. It caused a split in their relationship. Now 11 years later we meet a few more players. Suspense to the end. A very well written story. And there are a few extra surprises thrown in. Just the right length too. :) Looking forward to reading the next one.

The cover is beautiful too!!!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This is book one in the Beartooth series and there is a mystery. I did figure out who did it by the middle of the books but there were still some surprises in the story. This also introduced some of the characters that will be in the next two books. Since I read this last I knew that they would be important even though they were just a name or a short introduction in Unforgiven. I love the tension that Daniels writes into her stories. She writes great scenes with a lot of good dialog while ...more
Melanie
Jan 09, 2013 Melanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This was kinda disappointing. While the story itself has potential, it was seriously rushed, and not developed anywhere near close enough. It was basically a bunch of little stories that didn't really lead anywhere. The drama was seriously overdone, and flat out uncomfortable. At first, I thought that maybe I had been dropped in the middle of a series, but no, it is just written like that. It is set up, though, to be part of a series.
Bonnie
Apr 02, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Unforgiven by B.J. Daniels was a very good book. A small town. So much going on with a lot of people living there. Old loves. Love that was lost years ago and rekindled. Murder. Attempted murder. A daughter who found out her father wasn't her real father. The guy she thought was her father was giving the ranch to his real son, even though he doesn't want it. He might sell it to pay off a gambling bill. Teenage love that was never lost when the boy leaves for eleven years. A good read.
Patricia Atkinson
Feb 18, 2014 Patricia Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I really ejoyed this story the 15 year old cold case of ginny and the hunt for her killer.just when you think you know what happens theres a new twist it was very well written and a good story line and as you probably guessed lots of surprises at the end you never seen coming.looking forward to reading more of her books.
Dawn ♥ romance
May 22, 2015 Dawn ♥ romance rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
The plot was okay but it all should have happened ten years ago. I don't believe they truly love each other because of their reason for separation and it didn't change when they got together again. They'll probably end up like all the other couples in the story. Rylan returns home at the same time as Destry's brother who he believes killed his sister.
Shannon Renee
Aug 07, 2015 Shannon Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: daniels
4 1/2 Stars, but I'm feeling generous.

OK, in general,I just love B. J. Daniels' books. They're awesome. This one though is one of the best she wrote since Crimescene at Cardwell Ranch. Tons of red herrings, but she's known for that. Loved the characters (even the female, and I am not kind to the female protagonist in most books). Excellent writing as always.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4)
  • Tex Appeal (Harlequin Blaze #375)
  • They Disappeared
  • One Tough Marine  (Cooper, #3)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Endless Heart (Heart, #3)
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • The Bridge (Brody Law, #1)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • Getting Lucky (Lucky, #3)
  • A Haunted Twist Of Fate
  • Circle of Gold (The Men of Medicine Ridge, #1)
  • The Marshal's Hostage (The Marshals of Maverick County, #1)
  • A Callahan Wedding (Callahan Cowboys, #6)
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • Snowbound
B.J. Daniels' life dream was to be a policewoman. After a career as an award-winning newspaper journalist, she wrote and sold 37 short stories before she finally wrote her first book. Since then she has won numerous awards including a career achievement award last year for romantic suspense.

She lives in Montana with her husband, Parker, two Springer Spaniels, Jem and Spot, and a temperamental tomc
More about B.J. Daniels...

Beartooth, Montana (5 books)
  • Redemption (Beartooth, Montana, #2)
  • Forsaken (Beartooth, Montana, #3)
  • Atonement (Beartooth, Montana, #4)
  • Mercy (Beartooth, Montana, #5)

“Last night, he’d had hell getting to sleep after what he’d discovered in Ginny’s jewelry box. He hated to think what the note or the hidden locket meant. A part of him still wished he’d just put both back in the jewelry box where he’d found them.” 0 likes