Start by marking “The Dark Side of Desire” as Want to Read:
The Dark Side of Desire

The Dark Side of Desire

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
English rose Flavia Lassiter has never been comfortable in her father's glitzy world. Summoned to yet another of his ostentatiously lavish parties, she finds that her one order is to be "nice" to a wealthy investor. Her body may be on offer, but she shields her heart behind an icy shell.Leon Maranz emanates a dark power that sends shivers through her body—threatening to sh ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Side of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Side of Desire

RLA
May 01, 2012 RLA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb of this book makes it sound remarkably similar to James's book 'Purchased for Revenge'. And while it is a little similar in terms of style, the story is different.

I'll be honest and say that at times I found this frustrating to read. The angst in this story is through the roof, and there is so much inner monologuing. It got really annoying after a while. The word here is Drama!

What I did like about this book though is the simplicity of the love that grows between the hero and heroine.
willaful

If ever a book deserved the word "wangsty" it's this one. I kept feeling like nothing whatsoever had happened, which wasn't entirely true, but we spend so much time in the main character's miserable heads, it felt like hours of watching anguished paint dry. It didn't help that I find the woman-terrified-by-her-own-feelings theme unutterably tedious.

Once the story started moving a bit, I enjoyed it more. Tycoon Leon is very hot for Flavia and Flavia's nasty dad wants Leon buttered up, so he black
Becky
In so many ways, a 3 star read for me. Willaful said it best, referring to it as "wangsty". I had to laugh at that, because in 20 different places I said to myself: "This is the most repetitive mea culpa I've ever read." She just kept going, like the energizer bunny: "Wah! wah! If only I weren't forced to be here because I total selflessly am whoring out to save my sick grandma from being thrown onto the street by Satan/dad. Wah! I lied now I'm a terrible person for lying about why I first went ...more
Brad
Oct 01, 2012 Brad rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this story... so bland and boring!!
Tia
May 08, 2012 Tia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heroine is pimped out by her father to the hero. Her father has maliciously blackmailed her into seeing the hero and playing "nice" with him. All because her grandmother was terribly sick and needed a hip replacement. When the hero and heroine make love, then she flees because her grandmother is on her deathbed, the hero is angry. He thinks that the heroine used him and it's true, in some cases she did, in others she loved him deeply. When he confronts her, the heroine feels horribly guilty ...more
Bella Marie Cullen
I thought this was going to be a good read, boy was I wrong! I teared up twice, and not for any happy reasons. I forced myself to finish this. What I think of the heroine's father isn't fit to be aired. My thoughts on that harpy of his aren't either. The only remotely decent part of this book is the ending. If you want to buy this, read it in the store before you do buy it. I don't recommend this. Don't waste your money. Worst book I've read this year.

Rating: 1/2 star - The Ending only
Bubblegum
I loved how they overcame the main problem in this book. How the heroine was so ready to be forgiven and felt she didnt deserve forgiveness, but wanted to make it better for the hero, and ease his pain. And the hero was forgiving, and understanding of the heroines situation.

The plot was interesting, took a while to get into but it was worth it because i loved the last half of the book. Therefore i rate this book with 3.5 stars.
Sasha
Aug 29, 2012 Sasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A very interesting and at times frustrating read. I borrowed this book from my book club because it seemed different to the usual category romance plot and Julia James was a new-to-me author, so I though I’d give her a try.

A friend told me JJ usually has heros you dislike for about two thirds of the story and then she turns things around for the H/H and for you the reader. In DSOD it’s the heroine who frustrated me no end, with lots of internal dialogue about the same angst-ridden topic. “OK, I
Sandra R
Feb 14, 2014 Sandra R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

I totally understand where the h/h were coming from. I actually enjoyed all the 'head stuff' as I was in the mood for something a little more dramatic than usual. Books all can't be light and fluffy and full of sparkling conversation - even Mills and Boon.
Aisha
Jan 22, 2013 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Julia James's book that I ever read in English(I read some of her books, but they were in Spanish). A very interesting story with some intrigue. The Main characters had lots of chemistry and are very well balanced. The secondary characters are the real weight of the story-Flavia's father was so mean!-, because it's around them were the actions of the heroine(Flavia) are based. A great story to have a good read(oops, sorry for the mention!) and spend a nice time forgeting all t ...more
Gege86
Apr 27, 2013 Gege86 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin, I actually don’t know.
This novel was so very well written, but…… it was soooooooooo slow and I didn't enjoy it one bit at all.
And I'm ashamed to admit this, but I skipped few lines. My first time ever doing that.
Most importantly ,I remembered now why I don't read Julia James novels.:p
Cassie
Aug 19, 2012 Cassie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conflict-to-more
I did not like this book. I felt there was too little dialogue between the characters and the story just lacking. They had one vacation and just fell in love?! I kept reading because I felt there was more that could have happen, but in the end it was just bland.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
2 stars.

I've read most of her books but this is my least favorite. The story was just so slow and long winded. And again, if only the characters know how to work on their communication skills, half of their problem will be solved by page 70.
Naomi
Jul 15, 2013 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was so dedicated about the miserable life of Flavia. I've got so bored even before I've reach to the half way.
Judith
I don't know why, but the dialog was very sparse, which made it hard to connect to the novel.
Ana
Nov 15, 2013 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i want leon for my boyfriend o:)
Stephanie Stoutenburg
Stephanie Stoutenburg rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2016
Jono Tabha
Jono Tabha rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Celeste Lirette
Celeste Lirette marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Lisa Clarke
Lisa Clarke rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Mrs D. A. Maher
Mrs D. A. Maher rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Carol A. Richter
Carol A. Richter rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Princess Isabella
Princess Isabella marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Debra Shiver
Debra Shiver marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Undone by His Touch
  • The Power and the Glory (The Marshalls, #2)
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8)
  • Captive but Forbidden
  • Girl Behind the Scandalous Reputation
  • A Night of Living Dangerously
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten
  • His Reputation Precedes Him (The Lyonedes Legacy, #2)
  • The Thorn in His Side
  • A Tainted Beauty (What His Money Can't Buy #1)
  • The Good, the Bad and the Wild (Brothers & Sisters, #3)
  • Duty and the Beast (Desert Brothers #1)
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
  • The Power of Vasilii (Russian Rivals #2)
  • Craving the Forbidden (The Fitzroy Legacy #1)
  • Deserving of His Diamonds?
  • The Man Behind the Scars
Julia lives in England with her family. Mills and Boon novels were Julia's first "grown up" books she read as a teenager ("Alongside Georgette Heyer and Daphne du Maurier."), and she's been reading them ever since.

Julia adores the English countryside ("And the Celtic countryside!"), in all its seasons, and is fascinated by all things historical, from castles to cottages. She also has a special lov
More about Julia James...