The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant

The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Trying to get pregnant is enough to make any woman impatient. The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant is a complete guide to the medical, psychological, social, and sexual aspects of getting pregnant, told in a funny, compassionate way, like talking to a good friend who’s been through it all. And in fact, Dr. Jean Twenge has been through it all—the...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant

Ciara
this book was released literally about two minutes after i finally got pregnant, after almost a year of trying, one hysterosalpingogram, & four cycles of clomid. but i read it anyway, as research for my still-trying bros. it probably won't be terribly useful to ladies who have been trying for a while & have graduated to IUI or beyond, but for those just starting out or only a few cycles in, there's really a wealth of information here. including a lot of stuff that i eventually learned du...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Mar 24, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
OMG - please tell me it's just an unfortunate title! A person who is not patient should *not* be a parent!!
Alison
I LOVED the author's voice and writing style. As a not-particularly "girly" woman, the lack of romanticism of pregnancy was very refreshing. I liked how she was very blunt and open, about every topic.

My only regret with this book is that I wish that she would have written more on after you actually get pregnant, because her candor and openness is so refreshing, it would be nice to have had her as a "guide" once pregnancy has been achieved.

I would rec this to anyone trying to get pregnant- short,...more
This was really funny and helpful. Twenge gets down to basics, and more importantly, actually looks at the studies behind the statistics quoted in the other gazillion books in the baby-making genre (I don't know the dewey decimal numbers for that). For example, Twenge uncovers that the doom and gloom statistics often cited about fertility for women in their 30s is based on hospital records from France in the 1700-1800s. Don't get me wrong, she's not polyannish about this stuff, but she actually...more
Amanda
I won this in a first reads giveaway... I would say, oh about 2 years ago. Now, my husband and I were not trying to get pregnant - I was impatient, yes, but not because we were trying and not succeeding, it was just because financially we were not ready (who is?!). We wanted a house and for all our debt (which was very minimal) to be taken care of. My friend at work was always asking when were we going to have a baby? I saw this book on the giveaways and laughed as I entered, thinking "No way wo...more
Paula
I really enjoyed this book. The author has an excellent since of humor and the book contains some really interesting facts especially regarding fertility after age 35 and methods to help determine the babies sex. The only thing I found irritating is that she really doesn't even seem to consider anyone who is not a heterosexual married woman. I get it that it is her experience but could you at least mention the rest of us. It is sad because the advice she is giving could really be useful for anyo...more
True to its name, I read almost all of this book in one sitting. I will say that it cheats significantly to achieve that quick readability: the (critical!) part about fertility charting basically just says to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility - heh. That said, I think this makes a great companion read to that book because its style is so much more casual -- it's also much more positive about over-30 pregnancies than TCOYF, which is nice.

On a side note, the author seems to be a horrible cook...more
Meredith
Don't let the sarcasm in the title put you off. This book is an excellent guide for any woman dissatisfied with the standard ob-gyn advice to getting pregnant: stop taking birth control, start taking a prenatal vitamin, and don't worry until after an entire year of trying. Most don't even recommend charting to try to determine a woman's fertility window.

This book is also a fabulous resource for up-to-date research, and the citations for all the scientific studies discussed are listed on pages 2...more
Janet
I read several books and oodles of websites before this book, and this book is so much better than all of them. This book summarizes a lot of research about how to get pregnant, related to both men and women. The most important information for me is that the most commonly cited statistics about chances of conception for women over 35 are based on studies of church records from the 17th or 18th century. Seriously! She cites more up-to-date studies. The median time to conception for women ages 35-...more
Kim Ruehl
The title of this book should be "The impatient married heterosexual woman's guide to getting pregnant in the 1950s," because - wow - I'll just say the writer and I have different worldviews. All references to men in this book make them sound like bumbling sex-crazed idiots who could care less about their partner's feelings. Right off the bat, she admits people reading the book could be making a child with something other than a husband, but decides that "husband" will be her catchall term. This...more
Karen
Funny and to the point, this was a really good intro and overview that helped with our family planning. Really, the biggest take-away for me was to go to fertilityfriend.com and start charting, but it also gave me a heads up on possible issues that might arise and how to seek further resources. I like to have a lot of information and be able to quickly refer back, so I liked the quick reference summaries and charts this book has as well.
Martine
Clear, concise, and well-cited. This is the perfect book for Type A women who have a vision for precisely when children fit best into "the plan" and want to know what they can do to try to make that vision a reality.

It was nice to read a book on the topic by an author who clearly has experience trying to conceive within the last five years, using the same websites, references, and technology that everyone else is (or should be!) using. So many fertility-related books either don't know about or...more
David
I think Twenge's work is most valuable for two things: her myth-busting and her sense of humor. Regarding the former, she debunks all sorts of malarkey that lingers in the aether - much of it having to do with statistics whose provenance could be summed up as "a very long game of telephone started by an intoxicated teenager." The value of this cannot be understated - I have had doctors tell me some of those very pieces of malarkey, and now I've got some useful studies to cite back at them.

Regard...more
Lynsie
A fair overview of getting pregnant, with ways to calm yourself down if you're overly impatient. There's a lot of good info, I just already knew most of it.
University of Chicago Magazine
Jean M. Twenge, AB'93, AM'93
Author

From our pages (Mar–Apr/12): "When she wanted to have a baby, psychologist Jean Twenge did her research, analyzing scientific data from medical journals, books, and websites. She found that the scientific data available for public consumption was often wrong or from a questionable source—for example, the most commonly cited statistic about fertility among women over 35 came from 17th-century French birth records. Twenge dismisses common myths and provides advice...more
Julie Albert
Can't recommend this enough for any woman who is thinking about trying to get pregnant - whether patient or impatient! It debunks a lot of common myths about trying to conceive in your 30s that will make a lot of women relax. And it's loaded with everything you need to know to arm yourself in the bedroom and out to help you conceive. It's very empowering to understand exactly what it takes to get pregnant and this book also helps keep you realistic in your expectations of how long it will take,...more
Dorel Pollack
this book was so far the best one I read about trying to conceive. I feel better about dealing with my emotions and I embrace all the negative feelings and the stress that I face every month. I really liked the author's attitude and chosen words, I found myself more positive, even smiling while reading it. compared to the other books that make me hopeless, worried and scared, this book definitely gave me a better attitude about the process of getting pregnant. I also found the myths very helpful...more
Krystal
Great wealth of knowledge in this book that is very well cited. I love that it entwines science and personal knowledge along with a dollop of humor. Great read if you are infact an impatient woman trying to get pregnant. I definitely learened a lot and would recommend this book to anyone trying to get pregnant.
Margaret Heller
You may have thought you knew how babies were made, but you were missing a lot of information. This is very helpful in explaining in rational but down to earth language what the science actually says, as well as, ahem, techniques to try. I truly cannot stand pregnancy fora lingo, which this does include a bit of, but doesn't totally overwhelm it. Jean Twenge is professionally a researcher into narcissism, which is kind of an interesting sidepoint to this book.
Danielle D'Orlando
A really intense look at trying to get pregnant. Definitely really helpful but if you're young and healthy, I'm pretty sure (in my non-doctor opinion) that you can try naturally for a while before really implementing any of this advice. Author has really great tips in terms of vitamins, supplements and diets. I really enjoyed her voice - kind of like your truth-baring girl friends - and all of the studies she includes in her advice. Quick read.
Alicia Terrill
I read this book several months ago when my husband and I decided we wanted to have a baby (I'm currently about 4 months pregnant). I read a couple others as well, but this was by far the best. I wasn't "impatient," but I'd read other positive reviews, and I'm glad I did! It was very informative, but it also was an enjoyable read. I would highly recommend it for anyone thinking about trying to conceive.
gina
I checked out this book in hopes of preparing myself for pregnancy. There's a lot of good info in there, that contradicted what I thought was true. Interesting read and would definitely recommend it with other similar titles (to help balance out some of the conflicting info. read and decide on your own :) to help a woman prepare for pregnancy.
Erin
Funny and well-researched. I very much enjoyed reading it, despite how repetitive it felt sometimes. I wish someone would write a similar book but this time geared for those of us who are already at the IUI stage--when no amount of information on how to time sex is helpful. Interesting, but not helpful.
Mamers
Lots of talk about various tests, both for when you are just starting and too impatient to not test and for when you've been trying forever and need to test. All that clinical talk gets a little boring once in a while, but the info is accurate, the author is funny, and she gives sound advice.
Mandi
Funny, honest look at the ups and downs of TTC. Great tips on vitamins and such. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It felt like sitting down with your best girlfriend to figure out the best way to get knocked up when "just stop thinking about it" doesn't work.
Khouloud Khammassi
Well-written and witty enough to ease one's anxiety of getting pregnant. I totally recommend reading it even if one is not looking at getting pregnant any time soon. There is valuable diet information that's worth-reading for whenever needed.
Betsy
This was the best review of natural fertility options that I have read! It's concise, well-researched, and a great overview of foods to eat, supplements to try, plus lots more. I recommend this book to anyone who is trying to get pregnant.
Belinda Miller
I won this from goodreads giveaway and found the information not any better than the same techniques and advise that was out 20 years ago. Some info was new but most you could have asked your Mom about and gotten the same answers.
Melissa Smith
This book had alot of good information, but nothing that I had not read or heard before. I was expecting something totally different. But was glad to get a chance to read it for free!
Ami
Mostly skimmed, didn't read all of it. I appreciated the practicality, common sense & tongue-in-cheek tone to the advice. Would recommend as a resource to folks if interested.
Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement Ben Nesli: Bugünün Gençleri Niçin Bu Kadar Özgüvenli ve İddialı Fakat Bir O Kadar da Depresif ve Kaygılı