Start by marking “Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)” as Want to Read:
Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)

Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard #5)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Operation Vanguard is in chaos.

On a post-apocalyptic world in the Taurus Reach, undercover Starfleet Intelligence agent Cervantes Quinn finds an ancient Shedai conduit. Unfortunately, the Klingons have found it first and sent an army to claim it.

Light-years away on Vulcan, reporter Tim Pennington answers a cryptic call for help and ends up stalking interstellar criminals w
Published February 20th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Precipice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precipice

Not bad as far as Star Trek novels go I suppose. The plotline was well thought out and executed. Decent care was spent on the details of the characters. Sadly I am not a devoted Trekkie, so I am letting this book go. Only one note of worth, it held its own in the Star Trek universe without one of the headline characters from the Enterprise. That alone might snare any reader to pick up other books by this author. =)
Precipice is Mack's third entry in the Vanguard series and it's a pretty good one but I fear that the series may be running out of steam or that Mack is getting lazy.

My primary piece of evidence for this assertion is the unbelievable change in the Cervantes Quinn character. Quinn began literary life as a 50+, overweight, slovenly, perpetually soused ne'er-do-well along the lines of a Cyrano Jones ("The Trouble with Tribbles") or Harry Mudd ("Mudd's Women," "I, Mudd"). He was never comic relief a
Phew, David Mack managed to sidestep some of the more egregious absurdities of the previous entry in the series. Precipice is certainly an enjoyable little pulpy space opera romp. The politics on the titular Federation station take a back seat to some exciting antics on a nearby planet. Mack also pared down the cast to the few characters that were truly interesting. There are still names I've read before that I don't remember or care about, but the main players get a lot done and it's fun the wh ...more
This book would have been pretty good as a stand-alone or as the first of the series, but there are several points at which it fails gloriously to remain consistent with what has been established in the prior books of the series, mostly in terms of characterization. Cervantes Quinn as futuristic James Bond-style action hero? Please. Granted, there were hand-waving gestures made at rationalizing the change; he wasn't COMPLETELY incompetent in the last book, and the claim here is that he was previ ...more
Still going strong!

I feel awful that it took me several months to continue with the Vanguard series, but it was like coming home once I did. I'm telling you all that this isn't just a great Star Trek book series, it is also great sci fi! I doubt we'll ever see it, but I would love to see this made into a TV or movie series. Honestly, just read these books.
5th book of the series: the overall plot is still going strong, but I'm still soft on some of the main personalities. Diego Reyes, I don't feel that I have a grasp on him like I do for most of the others.

I admit to feeling lost on the identity of the several Shedai personalities roaming about. I know that one or more is/are hunting some other(s), but I couldn't tell you which was which.

The morphing of Cervantes Quinn-- ne'er do well, tramp merchant-- into a guerrilla fighter, I could handle. His
I've been loving the Vanguard series thus far ..... DS9 concept meets the Kirk days meets spy fiction meets scientific/medical inquiry (think Sector General series). This has been a great series and I'm disappointed it will be ending for me after just a few more books. While I'm sure it's "sequel series" (The Seekers series) will be just as fun and well-written ..... but I still don't want this fun to be over! The writers on this series have done a fantastic job ..... I just wish the "last book" ...more
Benjamin Plume
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other Vanguard books I've read to date. I'm not sure why.

It had probably the most action of any book in the series so far, and it was definitely more of a page-turner than, say, "Reap the Whirlwind." I think ultimately what took some of the edge off of this one, for me, was how neatly all the various plotlines tied together. It just didn't seem quite messy enough.

I still enjoyed it, and like most of David Mack's Star Trek work it was well-crafted and
Seriously, David Mark is this generation's Peter David... Read ALL of this series!
Christopher Backa
The excellent vanguard story continues in book 5, it wraps some character arcs , and continues to explore the mystery of the Taurus reach
Just amazing, I couldn't put it down. action packed and kept you guessing what was going to happen.
I love the way the writers and editors behind the Vanguard books managed to fit a suspenseful space opera full of entertaining new characters into a corner of the established Star Trek universe - relatives of the Tholians, where Project Genesis gets its start ... The writing is skillful, and the many characters all are vivid, even the ones who are just on the page briefly. The story continues to build in interesting new ways, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.
Robert Soroky
Started slow, and had just a few too many nods/references to Star Wars and Blade Runner (specifically dialog and creature names), which were a major distraction. Fortunately, the story kicks into high gear by the final third of the book, and finishes with a bang! Overall, it's been a terrific series thus far...
Still a great series, I love all the politics between the Federation/Tholians/Klingons & I still love T'Prynn despite not entirely believing that pennington would just tag along with her for a whole year doing -letsfaceitnothing-.

A bit boring compared to the previous books but still good.
Lots of action in this installment with a few surprises. Also, there was very little recall of events from the previous titles. I liked that. Not much in furthering character development occurred. The next in the series is the novellas which may fill in some of the blanks.
This series just keep getting better. The characters introduced in the first book, whom you thought were stereotypical Starfleet heroes, have become pseudo-criminals, and fugitives from justice! This is definitely the best book in the series so far.
Marc Mason
The VANGUARD series continues to impress, as literally just about anything can happen in this edge of the Trek universe. David Mack proves that he is the absolute best Trek writer working today- period- with this latest entry in the series.
Excellent, excellent, excellent! The high quality of the Vanguard saga is maintained. A lot of setup that I can't wait to see finally pay off.

Full review:
Gordon Love
Dull, wooden and dreary, almost svaed by a few good plot ideas. The writing style is utterly repetitive and uninspired.
Duane Ballenger

I'll miss this series when it ends. Love the characters and the time period of this Trek series.
BK marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jason Liberg
Jason Liberg marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of many Star Trek novels, including the Destiny trilogy and the acclaimed Vanguard series. His scripting credits include episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Mack's first work of original fiction, a supernatural thriller titled The Calling, was published to critical acclaim in July 2009 by Simon & Schuster.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanma
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)