Start by marking “The Dragons of Winter” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Winter

The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica #6)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Archipelago of Dreams is no more…but the battle to save it has just begun in the penultimate book in the acclaimed Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series.

The Caretakers are at war. The Archipelago of Dreams has fallen to the Echthroi, and the link to the Summer Country has been lost. The Keep of Time must be rebuilt, and the secret lies somewhere in...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Winter

Mith
JESUS H. CHRIST

BEST. BOOK. EVER!

More coherent review coming soon!
Graham Bradley
Very excited for the ending of this series. Book 6 was the most unique so far, and while it had some very satisfying moments, it also left a lot unanswered. Curious to see how Owen wraps it up.
Heather
All I can really say is OMG Goats!!!!!!!

I'm sure that eventually I'll be able to say more, but I'm still in shock over how awesome this series/book is...
Stacey Daze
I have loved this series since I first began reading it with my boys. The way the author combines history, fiction, mythology, etc. to create a new story worth waiting for is breath taking. This was a wonderful continuation of the story, and when you read it please don't forget the epilogue. That is the most important part of the story, so says the author.

I'm thrilled to know the last is out already. The blessing for forgetting a series while waiting for the next to come out? The library will b...more
Cathrine Bonham
Jan 11, 2013 Cathrine Bonham rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alana Folk
The Sixth book in the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica is very much like all of the rest, steeped in literature and ancient myth. There are references that will make you giggle in their cleverness and others that will make you scratch your head and go do some research. You will squeal in bookish delight as beloved authors come into play for the first time and you discover plot devices stolen from even more beloved stories.

This series is a Bookworms dream. Sadly there is only one more b...more
Becky
I definitely enjoyed reading The Dragons of Winter by James A. Owen. In this sixth adventure, our Caretakers (well, some of them) travel to the FUTURE. They travel to the future first seen (or experienced) by H.G. Wells (Bert). Well, that's the future they THOUGHT they were heading to. In reality, they end up someplace very, very different, a what-might-be world of darkness. The time they spend in this world is very interesting to me, and they do meet an interesting Bradbury-inspired underground...more
Evelyn
I'm starting to see a pattern to the way I read long series. The first book I devour. The middle books drag on (I swear, no pun intended). Then, sometime after the halfway point, the slope points down and I breeze through the last few books.

By the time I got to Dragons of Winter, the slope had begun, and this was a fast read. All the assorted threads of story are starting to come together. Owen's typical start a line...

...and finish it dramatically

gambit was used to better effect in this book th...more
Deborah Darsie
Very complex - as any multiple timeline fantasy can become especially when there is time travel by so many methods and characters from both Shadow and Light.

A slower read because of the intricate interweavings, but I was still quite satisfied by the end of this portion of the saga of the Imaginarium Geographica as there is the development of Chronology equivalent being created (recreated?).

Intended for young adults, this is equally engaging for adult readers, since a large percentage of the cha...more
Rachel
One more in the series of 7 books to go!
Ruth Hapeta
Awesome book
Cynthia Scott
Such a surprising read. I have loved reading this entire series, but the Dragons of Winter have made me realize why I love this series. There is true storytelling that goes on in "the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica", with tricks and trails, witty humour, and delightful and sometimes despicable characters. I love them all. It's a great read, especially for those who love literature.
Victoria
Again, not bad, but this series needed to finish a couple of books ago. Repetitive.
Rachel
This was a major disappointment. He'd planned to finish the series with this book, and he as good as says in the afterword that he'd rethought that, but he tried to cram everything in anyway. It was incoherent and confusing. Is there another book coming? Ugh. I liked the series, but this was absolutely shoddy work.
Stephen
Another great entry in this most magnificent series. My only complaint is that he counts Chesterton amongst the bad guys. Otherwise, this series is perfect.
Kara Bianca
This book was so so so so good! Absolutely amazing! I love the way high fantasy is blended so well with historical and mythological elements. This series should be read by everyone! I can't wait to read the last one!
I.E.
My favorite of the series, so far. Definitely want to read the next one.
April
I seem to spend the first 2/3 of the book saying, why am I reading this, why am I reading this, why am I reading this... and then it gets better so that you say to yourself, well, I can finish this series and be done.
Ross
A good setup to perhaps the finale of the series. Artistic license for which notable historical figures are on the opposing side, not all I'd agree with, especially Chesterton and Tesla.
Celeste Martinez

I really love these books! They are just all over the place that I might have to reread the all again before the last one comes out. But I really do love them.
k.wing
This was definitely a fun read. It blows my mind how Owen weaves everything together with no loose strings. This book and the second book have been my favorites so far.
Susan Wilcox
Two chapters in, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish this one. By the end, I knew I'd be reading Book 7. Definitely kept me interested!
Jessica
WOOT! MORE ILLUSTRATION CAMEOS!
i REAALLYY LOVE the goblin market! i just wish i knew ALL that are suppose to be in there.
Second Run Reviews
Overall, as this series goes on, I'm struggling to keep the multiple story lines and characters straight.
Britt Hanson
This was probably my least favorite book of the series, but nonetheless it was still a great read!
Jason ~ I can't wait to be home ~
I think he did a pretty good job, but it didn't really seem to have much point in the story
Joanne
the series just keeps getting better. Worst part is waiting for the final volume.
Rob Alspaugh
This was truly an amazing read but it left me wanting the next one soooo bad!
oh dear. now i have to wait for the last book.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Lori Vanorman
Lori Vanorman marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • The Lost Barkscrolls
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Adventures of Mr Pink-Whistle (Happy Days)
  • The Secret Kingdom (Chronicles of the Red King, #1)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Adventure Time with Finn & Jake (Issue #3)
  • Nibiru dan Kesatria Atlantis
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1) The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2) The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3) The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #4) The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5)