Start by marking “Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions” as Want to Read:
Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions

Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Is there a scientific formula you can follow to change your life?

Change is hard. But not if you know the 5-step formula that works whether you’re trying to stop smoking or start recycling. Dr. John C. Norcross, an internationally recognized expert, has studied how people make transformative, permanent changes in their lives. Over the past thirty years, he and his research
Published December 25th 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published December 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Changeology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changeology

TarasProkopyuk
«Бросить курить очень просто! Я делал это тысячи раз...» Эта цитата Марка Твена лучше всего доказывает как бывает сложно изменить пагубную привычку или же выработать в себе полезный навык.

Книг по улучшению себя и своей жизни - пруд-пруди! Но пожалуй это одна из лучших книг, нет скорей всего наилучшая, которые я читал на тему работы над собой. Разве что её хорошо дополняет "Сила воли. Как развить и укрепить" Келли Макгонигал (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...).

Книга написана не выскочкой,
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions by John C. Norcross, PhD was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2013.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

An inability (or unwillingness) to change can present a formidable barrier to personal and career success. A more heartbreaking scenario is an individual who makes repeated attempts to change only to fall prey to the same stumbling blocks each time. John C. Norcross, Ph.D., professor of psychology a
Wanda
Jul 27, 2014 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads first-reads a several months ago. And I wanted to actually try the concepts in this book before giving it a review.

When I first read the book I actually thought that the process of change explained in the book made a lot of sense. In fact I had previously come to the same conclusion, that in order to make change effective in your life you must have something to replace the old with the new.

The book is well written. It is easy to understand. Nothing in the book is i
Molly
Aug 05, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went through all the steps in this book as I was reading it and, surprisingly, it still went by quickly. This is *not* one of those books of exercises that will bog you down until you give up on even finishing it (that's happened to me a few times with what started out as interesting books). The combination of exercises, check-ups to see your progress, personal stories from his experiences, and scientific research findings make this book both entertaining and enlightening.

One of the best part
LooksLater
Oct 14, 2014 LooksLater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS is a book (THE book?) to help good intentions become skillful action. The amount of research here blew me away. A lot of the methods used are pretty common sense, but attacking them in a logical, timely order and giving each step of change the attention to detail that it deserves makes the difference between success and failure...as the research clearly shows. Great book, the best I've read on change/resolutions.
Jenn
Jun 10, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
The changes I had in mind are intangible in nature. When i initially read this book I thought this book is best suited for people who want to lose weight or change more tangible things. However, that's not so.

I read through it and yes, I thought just strong will was enough but the book made me more mindful and methodical of the changes i wanted to make.

I have to say it did change my perspectives on the changes I wanted to make for myself. The advice from the book, made me feel like I had solid
Nathan
Jun 03, 2015 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed this book. The main thing I got out of it was the concept of stages on your journey to making a new habit. You need to know which stage you are in and how to get to the next one, otherwise you waste time.
Heather Anne
Aug 07, 2013 Heather Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I read this book and felt it was very helpful and factual. I learned that one reason I have found it difficult to change is that I tried to change too many things at once. He recommends trying to change no more than 2-3 things at once, and then only if they are related (for example: eating right and exercising) and focusing on those areas for 90 days. I think it could easily be a useful self-help bible, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to change personally, but disliking flaky non ...more
Angela Alfonso
So informative, much new? Not really but some important comments.'Success is purely based on ones self efficacy. Be honest with oneself, know where u are on the 5 step plan and advance to next.....but without willpower and proper support systems you will not succeed
Pure Providence
Feb 14, 2013 Pure Providence is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just beginning the first quarter of the book, and I have to say I am surprised at some of the negative commentary. Yes, the author does present a lot of scientific evidence, and is at times, repetitive. However, I believe his 30-year record in this particular field does deserve credibility to justify his reasoning that this system isn't like the other 25,000 self-help books out there. The problem with people who read these kinds of books is they expect authors to skip right to the chase beca ...more
Anita
Apr 21, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a little better than their previous book: Changing for Good. It's still very comprehensive. Well backed by research. And well (accessibly) written book on the topic.

There are some gaps - but that's inevitable on a topic that can have millions of variations (unique for each person).

The biggest thing missing for me was the lack of a single representation of all the steps, and their respective tactics and sub-tactics. That would have made a great help sheet. If there is one - I
Tgaldieri
May 18, 2016 Tgaldieri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very practical handobook on changing behaviors, full of examples, stories and tools. Worth reading and practicing the five steps for changing.
Scott Wagner
Having picked up this book two months into a already pre designed 90 day plan, I was bored. I felt ahead of the text for the entire book. I would read it if I needed a true change in my life. The steps are simple and the plan seems solid. I've always hope I tried to change using this method, but realized I skipped and mismatched stages.

Good read if you have time and truly want a major change.
Julie Smith
I always like to read books about goals to see if there is a new nugget to add to my daily practice towards reaching my own goals. The thing I appreciated the most was the guide to selecting a psychotherapist (I believe everyone needs at least 1 year of counseling in their life) and the QR codes interspersed through out the book.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read SO many self-help books, but this is possibly the first one to actually back up its claims with research and statistics. I am a devout New Year's resolver, yet I found I was having to repeat some of the same goals over and over. This book finally helped me figure out why that was.
Jeff Giuliano
Jan 10, 2015 Jeff Giuliano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book by any standards. John describes a system of change in 5 steps. His writing and his system is very organized making it easy to follow. His system still requires effort but it makes change much easier. I highly recommend this book to anyone contemplating serious change.
Renee
Dec 19, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in terms of thinking of the change process as comprising different steps. First is "Psych"--thinking about making a change--and important to note that some people stay in this stage for years! Useful exercises for assessing readiness to change.
Daryl Ghent
Nov 12, 2013 Daryl Ghent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better "self-help" books I have read in a while. Unlike most which are based on anecdotal evidence, this one is backed up Dr. Norcross 30+ years in the change field and a more scientific approach to change.
Jim
Mar 12, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The advice appears to be useful and based on solid research, but there is far to much repetition, padding and sales pitch for my taste. It would have made an excellent magazine article.
Katrin
Jan 11, 2014 Katrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great process. Practical. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get better at 'change skills' and reaching goals. The book could be structured a bit more intuitively.
Lisa
Apr 12, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this for my new year's resolutions. Kept the book a long time but not the resolutions.
Sue
Jan 03, 2016 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I never finished it. it bacame hard to read and do and I lost interest.
tired
Apr 20, 2014 tired rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from goodreads giveaway
Stephanie
May 03, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Set a goal and how to follow through. Great pointers.
David Kolb
May 23, 2016 David Kolb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely illuminating!
Monica
Apr 24, 2013 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful.
PWRL
Apr 08, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
رائد الغامدي
رائد الغامدي rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Lauryna Baleišytė
Lauryna Baleišytė marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • Finding God in the Dark: Faith, Disappointment, and the Struggle to Believe
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • Business Brilliant: Surprising Lessons from the Greatest Self-Made Business Icons
  • Help for Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity
  • The Blessed Woman: Learning About Grace from the Women of the Bible
  • How I Met the Man of My Dreams: a guide to MANifesting yours
  • The Satirist: America's Most Critical Book (vol. 1)
  • a beautiful mess
  • All The Wild Children: A noir memoir
  • Your Magnetic Mind
  • Unthink: Rediscover Your Creative Genius
  • The Civil War in 50 Objects

“(Abraham Lincoln) liked to remind citizens that “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.” 0 likes
“Commitment is healthiest when it is not without doubt but in spite of doubt.” 0 likes