Start by marking “Blackberry Days of Summer: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blackberry Days of Summer: A Novel

Blackberry Days of Summer: A Novel

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In an exciting historical whodunit, a young black man is murdered and even though suspects abound, no one is trying too hard to find his killer.

The novel begins as “The Great War” is coming to an end. As Robert Parker’s body is lowered into the grave, Herman Camm introduces himself to the mourning family. He is a beady-eyed, small-framed, wel
Published June 19th 2012 by Strebor Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackberry Days of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackberry Days of Summer

Lisa
Blackberry Days of Summer is a must read! I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Once you start reading, you will not put it down until the end. The end will leave you wanting more! Blackberry Days brings out so many emotions as the characters are developed...sympathy, empathy, anger, joy, pain...I highly recommend you read Blackberry Days of Summer by Ruth P. Watson.
Cc
Ruth P. Watson is a great storyteller. This is such an enjoyable read I did not want to get to the end of the novel. That said…bring on the sequel! The characters are so believable it was easy to draw a visual of them as I read. I purchased the paperback but was compelled to download on my NOOK as well. This story would be excellent for a movie/stage production.
kisha
I just finished this book early this morning at 5am because I couldnt put it down! I was so into this book that I had crazy thoughts of what I wanted to do to the protagonist, Camm myself! I love a good historical fiction novel. I loved that she didnt focus so hard on racism which many black american historical novelist do. She centered the focus exactly where it needed to be. Great plot line. Super great ending. I loved the strategic method she used to revealed who murdered Herman Camm (it made ...more
Adrienna
Not sure of the title just yet, but as I started reading the novel, it feels like a summer breeze...hot in the right spots but a breeze to keep things cool. Carrie is an interesting character especially when she discovers who she really is and belongs to, but handles it pretty well at 15 years of age. Pearl is a jazzy nightclub singer that marries a man without really knowing what she was getting herself into. Mae Lou, after losing her husband, I still want to get to know her...and what she is w ...more
Flashette
What a WONDERFUL book! The plot was a refreshing change from a lot of the stories we see today. The characters were so complex and interesting. The novel follows the lives of three women in 1920's Virginia. The common thread for these women is one man, Herman Camm. When Camm takes way more than he could ever give, will these women be able to redeem their lives? Although the storyline was a bit predictable, I still wanted to read every word.
Alexandrea Ward
At first, I was confused because of the different stories that were presented to me. Even after reading the synopsis on the back cover, it didn't help with my confusion. By the middle of the book, I was in the groove of it and I was keeping up with each woman's story. I was sad by the ending but Pearl and Carrie were deeply affected by Herman Camm's deceitful and manipulative personality.
Monica Brame
I really enjoyed the character development as well as the storylines twists and turns. The description on the back of the book is on point, but made me start reading with a different story in mind. I was pleasantly surprised to find way more between the pages.
Karen Ashmore
Ruth was a friend on Facebook before I realized she is an author, and a talented one at that. Blackberry Days of Summer weaves the tale of three women: traditional Mae Lou, her ambitious daughter Carrie, and Pearl, the night club singer. Parts of the story were reminiscent of The Color Purple especially where racism and sexism seemed to be inevitabilities for black women in the rural south and discovering delayed letters from a loved one. The murder mystery at the end was glossed over but the ou ...more
Pamela Beason
This is an excellent historical novel of the lives of two black women around the end of WWI.
Lisa
Really enjoyed this book. Great read.
M.C. Walker
Carrie Parker's world is falling apart in front of her eyes and there's nothing she can do about it. Mae Lou Parker, her mother is an unaffectionate strong woman that desires the constant presence of a man around. Shortly after burying her husband Mae Lou finds comfort in the arms of city slicker and ladies man Herman Camm. Mae Lou may have Herman's heart but not if Pearl Brown has anything to do with it. Pearl Brown, an unhappily married thirty something lounge singer is madly in love with Herm ...more
Nandi Crawford
The book was good and I couldn't tear myself away from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT and hope you enjoy it as I have. It's about a Virginia farming family of two boys and a girl,and their mom. They lost the father, which is hard on them, and their luck change for the worse when a trifling,sorry,no good man in the form of Herman Camm gets into the mother's life and eventually marries her. The boys hightail it outta there but Carrie is stuck and when she meets a nice young man and he asks for her hand ...more
Staci Zirkle
This was a good, easy book to read. It's a classic novel that shows indept how Blacks in the south lived and the nastiness behind some family members. I really like the ending..It gives you enough information to draw your own conclusion with what happened to the protagonist. The Mama was so naive about what was going on around her, the daughter was smarter than what they gave her credit for and I liked the character, Ginny, who had a good spirit and didn't try to say Carrie was lying about her b ...more
Trauma  Newell
My first book for the summer to read was your book and I was absolutely thrilled when I read this book.

I grew up in North Carolina, so I know the southern culture of people in the south. When I began to read your book it took me to a place
that I was so familiar with from the south. We all have a story to tell from our life experiences, but our secrets always find away to come back to haunt us.
When, I had to stop reading this book and placed my bookmark where I stopped, I couldn't wait to get
Martha Robinson
this is one of the best books and a fast read plus a must READ i love the way that is took me from Carrie;s child to being a women and what she had to go though in life. it kept me reading.
Aleph Bet
I found this gem at the Augusta Literary Arts Festival and have to say its the first book I picked up there and finished. A great read, start to finish. Ought to be a movie.
Queenwilliams
The characters are interesting and the storyline is well-developed. I read this novel as a member of a book club. The author, Ruth Watson, “Skyped” into our meeting/discussion, which created a unique literary experience. Rarely, does a reader have the opportunity to learn an author’s intentions or their writing process. Ms. Watson is definitely an author who cares about her readers.
Sherry
This is my first book by the author. I truly enjoy this book from the beginning to the end. I know there's going to be another part to this book and I cannot wait to read.
Michele
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the storytelling of the author. The characters were believable. I love how the author kept us wondering what would happen next, right down to the who did it at the end. I found the book to be riveting & a real page turner. Quite an easy & enjoyable read!
Leatha Writes
I really enjoyed this story. At times I laughed and cried. This is one of those books that once you pick it up you won't be able to put down. I am looking forward to seeing what the Author has in store for the future because she certainly came out the gate with a I'm in the house now bang.
Brikti Woods
I really liked this book. The lead up to the Muder of Mr Camm had we hooked, however it almost felt like the author got tired at the end because it ended so abruptly? I wanted to know what happened to all of the charecters and find out who dunnit? Peal, Willie, Ginny, Simon.....?
Tracee
I loved it! What a great historical fiction novel!
Linnet
Postwar WWI, three women in the deep south find themselves involved with the same man. Only trouble can follow for Mae Lou, Carrie and Pearl.
Janie Watts
A well-written novel I did not want to put down. Realistic characters, especially Carrie. Looking forward to Miss Watson's next book,
Sonya Gallman
I reaaly enjoyed this book. Loved the storyline and the characters. Can't wait for the sequel. Gret read.
Tabbitha
Good story. My favorite sort of books.
Kayla
its worth reading!! :)
Carmen Slaughter
Carmen Slaughter marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Book reviews by Minolta White 1 6 Sep 28, 2012 09:12PM
Southern Fiction 1 6 Aug 18, 2012 05:58PM
An Elderberry Fall Hard Lessons Blackberry Days of Summer: A Novel (Zane Presents)