Start by marking “The Wind Blew” as Want to Read:
The Wind Blew

The Wind Blew

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The wind blew, and blew, and blew! It blew so hard, it took everything with it: Mr. White’s umbrella, Priscilla’s balloon, the twins’ scarves, even the wig on the judge’s head. But just when the wind was about to carry everything out to sea, it changed its mind!
With rhyming verse and colorful illustrations, Pat Hutchins takes us on
Published February 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Blew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind Blew

Lisa Vegan
This is a fun read aloud book for preschoolers and a useful beginner reader book, but it wasn’t that great, in my opinion.

The premise of the wind taking everything away and into the air (and then what happened) was good. But, while the story is fun to read aloud, the rhyme doesn’t quite work in a place or two. And while the illustrations are colorful and fun to match up with what the wind is doing at any particular time, and I think many children will enjoy doing that and will like the colorful
Amanda Carpenter
Hutchins, Pat. (1974). The Wind Blew. New York: Aladdin Paperbacks.

Poetry

Kate Greenaway Medal

This book is a poetry book with a simple pair of rhyming words on each page. The book is about a strong wind that is blowing through the town and taking everyone's things and blowing them in the air. Finally, the wind releases the things and blows off into the sea. The drawings are simple but children would enjoy looking at all of the people chasing after there belongings that the wind took. This woul
Talia Apkon
I enjoyed this book and the way that the interaction with the wind brought the characters together. However, I found the ending very odd and had to read the last few pages a few times before I really got it. And I imagine that if I had a hard time understanding what was happening at the end, that kids would have an even harder time with it. I would recommend this book to kids in pre-school and early elementary (3 years old-1st grade). I might use it to begin a unit or lesson on wind or to think ...more
Nick Molinet
This story was very entertaining to read because of all the different things the wind blew away. This story is about the people of a small town and what happens to them and their belongings when a rough wind comes through town. It is a good story to read to children to entertaint them but also to show them what the wind can do to different things. This book has rhyming in it which is good to introduce to children but also keeps them interested in the story.

Learning Experience: After reading the
Erin
The wind blows a whole bunch of things up into the air from a whole bunch of different people until it blows out to sea.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Garrett Ellis
The wind blew is a good story to introduce poetry to young students! It has a some what predictable feel to it and could also be used as a prompt for a writing piece!
Jen
simple story that you could reinforce sequence with in a lesson. wish the book was larger to share in a big group.
Kristina Lareau
A fun, dynamic and silly picturebook with lots of details and lots of blowing hats!
Brandy
A sweet simple story about the wind.
Sally Staples
This is a good book about what happens on a windy day. This book talks about what type of things might fly away on a windy day (i.e. balloon, hat, kite, laundry, etc.) It is also a great book for kindergarten children to respond to (i.e. draw your favorite part or something in the middle of the story).
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 61676 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Claudia Naranjo
The wind is blowing and there is nothing we can do to stop it. It starts blowing Mr. White’s umbrella away; later it is Pricilla’s balloon. One thing after the other, the wind is taking the people’s belongings away, until it finally stops. Gr. Pk-1
Ashlee Gibson
This is a short story about how the wind swept many of the towns people's items away. This could be a great way to integrate science into a lesson with reading. The ending is kind of boring, but the illustrations are very colorful.
Becca
This book lets the wind become a character (though never actually seen) as it steals items from various citizens and playfully tosses them about. A few lines of the rhyming text are awkward, but they are the minority. A good Autumn read.
Matthew
This is pretty average Pat Hutchins. The wind keeps adding items to its collection as it gusts through town only to drop them all at once and move on to pushing a sailboat through the water. Nice and simple, yet fun.
June
Mar 21, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wind requests
Recommended to June by: Polly Ross
This went over fairly well with the story time crowd, since I have a youngish audience and one parent who came it late read it to her daughter. However, it doesn't always rhyme which throws me off when I read it.
Sharlene Spencer
This book tells about the different things the wind picks up as it passes through the town. Great book to use when teaching predictions. It can also be use for a science lesson on wind.
Dolly
Nov 23, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens
Short, but fun story about the items that the wind decides to pick up and take away from their owners to play with. The illustrations are humorous and the narrative has a fun rhyme.
Paul  Hankins
The chaos that ensues when the wind blows through a small community is rendered in gentle and surprising rhyme as Hutchins explores everything that can be swept up in the breeze.
Nicole
Cute book where the action builds into a list of items that the wind picks up into the air...and then promptly dumps on the people chasing them before heading on to other lands...
Nancy
This book is perfect for a felt board story. The plot isn't all that great, but children seem to enjoy it. The book could also be used for a sequencing lesson.
Katie Pszczola
The Wind blew could be used in a math literature story lesson about subtraction. It could also be used in addition by adding up all the things that blew away.
babyhippoface
Best part is the "surprise" ending. Make sure you share this in an environment where kids can see the last page well, or they'll miss the joke.
Larry Carter
this book can be use across the curriculum. the rhyming words the collection of items for math and weather for.science
Angela Alcorn
Kids love this sort of book, where people wind up running down the street in large mobs chasing stuff.
I liked the pictures and thought it was fun to think about what the wind would pull into the air next.
Katie Beck
This is a good book. It is a good book to read to children when telling them about the weather.
Kristie
A short, rhyming read. Illustrations leave a lot for children to look at and talk about.
the Reeds
Fun story, bad ending.

Zoe says: "I liked it because everything blowed away."
  • A Rainbow of My Own
  • Time to Sleep
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • I Love Trains!
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Scoot!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • On Mother's Lap
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Fish is Fish
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
The Doorbell Rang Rosie's Walk Titch Good-Night, Owl! Ten Red Apples