Start by marking “The Wind Blew” as Want to Read:
The Wind Blew

The Wind Blew

The wind blew, and blew, and blew! It blew so hard, it took everything with it: Mr. White’s umbrella, Priscilla’s balloon, the twins’ scarves, even the wig on the judge’s head. But just when the wind was about to carry everything out to sea, it changed its mind!
With rhyming verse and colorful illustrations, Pat Hutchins takes us on a merry chase that is well worth the eff
Published February 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Blew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind Blew

Lisa Vegan
This is a fun read aloud book for preschoolers and a useful beginner reader book, but it wasn’t that great, in my opinion.

The premise of the wind taking everything away and into the air (and then what happened) was good. But, while the story is fun to read aloud, the rhyme doesn’t quite work in a place or two. And while the illustrations are colorful and fun to match up with what the wind is doing at any particular time, and I think many children will enjoy doing that and will like the colorful
Dawn
Feb 14, 2017 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The illustrations were lovely. The text was was average. Some of the rhymes were stretching it a bit. I wouldn't use it for a mentor text. It could make a quick read for filling a few minutes of time.
Emma
Flannel board story
Weather storytime
Tweedledum
Totally brilliant picture book.
Mathew
A wonderful, cumulative tale which builds on many devices that Hutchins uses in Rosie's Walk. Each page is a double-page spread with the characters beginning on the verso (left) and gradually, as the tension builds towards the recto (right).
Hutchins is an absolute master of the picturebook and I love how there is a constant hint at what is to come in each double-page spread. Her illustrations are bright and engaging with the white sky allowing us to focus on the landscape and the windswept tree
Nancy
This book won the Kate Greenway Medal for its illustrations. It's about the wind and how it kept blowing items away from people never seeming satisfied with all that it had already took. After blowing so many items away, it finally stopped which caused the items to drop, and then the wind blew away at sea.

I'm not so sure I understand the purpose of this book. The illustrations do a great job exaggerating how strong the wind can blow. I think younger kids would enjoy this book and be curious as t
Nick Molinet
Jan 30, 2013 Nick Molinet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wind, rhyming
This story was very entertaining to read because of all the different things the wind blew away. This story is about the people of a small town and what happens to them and their belongings when a rough wind comes through town. It is a good story to read to children to entertaint them but also to show them what the wind can do to different things. This book has rhyming in it which is good to introduce to children but also keeps them interested in the story.

Learning Experience: After reading the
Amanda Carpenter
Sep 21, 2014 Amanda Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Hutchins, Pat. (1974). The Wind Blew. New York: Aladdin Paperbacks.

Poetry

Kate Greenaway Medal

This book is a poetry book with a simple pair of rhyming words on each page. The book is about a strong wind that is blowing through the town and taking everyone's things and blowing them in the air. Finally, the wind releases the things and blows off into the sea. The drawings are simple but children would enjoy looking at all of the people chasing after there belongings that the wind took. This woul
TA Children's Lit Profile
I enjoyed this book and the way that the interaction with the wind brought the characters together. However, I found the ending very odd and had to read the last few pages a few times before I really got it. And I imagine that if I had a hard time understanding what was happening at the end, that kids would have an even harder time with it. I would recommend this book to kids in pre-school and early elementary (3 years old-1st grade). I might use it to begin a unit or lesson on wind or to think ...more
Sonia
Oct 28, 2016 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've used this book to teach preschoolers and kindergarteners about how the wind pushes items differently.

The wording is short (anyone who reads to young children has run into way-too-wordy books), the pictures give great foreshadowing, and you get to introduce unusual objects like 'hankies'.

When I read this book, children test how different materials are moved by air with a fan. Then, they select items to design a sail for a sail-car.

Love this book!!
Sally Staples
Apr 02, 2012 Sally Staples rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is a good book about what happens on a windy day. This book talks about what type of things might fly away on a windy day (i.e. balloon, hat, kite, laundry, etc.) It is also a great book for kindergarten children to respond to (i.e. draw your favorite part or something in the middle of the story).
Ashlee Gibson
Apr 11, 2011 Ashlee Gibson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is a short story about how the wind swept many of the towns people's items away. This could be a great way to integrate science into a lesson with reading. The ending is kind of boring, but the illustrations are very colorful.
June
Mar 21, 2013 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wind requests
Recommended to June by: Polly Ross
This went over fairly well with the story time crowd, since I have a youngish audience and one parent who came it late read it to her daughter. However, it doesn't always rhyme which throws me off when I read it.
Margaret Boling
Aug 28, 2016 Margaret Boling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/26/2016 ** This was my library read aloud for first graders this week, tying in with their focus on rhyming words. I am fortunate to own the big book and to have a story pit, so students were able to engage well with the pictures. They had so much fun describing where all the objects blew.
Becca
Oct 31, 2008 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book lets the wind become a character (though never actually seen) as it steals items from various citizens and playfully tosses them about. A few lines of the rhyming text are awkward, but they are the minority. A good Autumn read.
McKinzie Elton
Before reading this book, I would have a discussion with my students about the wind and ask them if they have ever seen the wind. We would then talk about whether or not we can see the wind or just the items the wind blows. I can record our answers on chart paper, then introduce the book.
Miss Sarah
I loved all the things being taken from the townspeople by the wind but wasn't in love with the ending. I felt it was rushed. But still a solid story about all the things the wind whips into the air as it blows by.
Matthew
This is pretty average Pat Hutchins. The wind keeps adding items to its collection as it gusts through town only to drop them all at once and move on to pushing a sailboat through the water. Nice and simple, yet fun.
Claudia Naranjo
The wind is blowing and there is nothing we can do to stop it. It starts blowing Mr. White’s umbrella away; later it is Pricilla’s balloon. One thing after the other, the wind is taking the people’s belongings away, until it finally stops. Gr. Pk-1
Larry Carter
this book can be use across the curriculum. the rhyming words the collection of items for math and weather for.science
Meghan Hunt
Apr 16, 2016 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd had this book last week when I did my preschool storytime on wind. It would have been great.
Kelley Mitchell
Good wind story time book. I paired it with mazes and lines with straws and pompoms so the children could "be the wind." We also read I want to play like a windy day to go with it.
T.E. Antonino
The illustrations really made feel like it was windy day.The story was very simple. I think very young children would enjoy the book.
Dolly
Nov 23, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008
Short, but fun story about the items that the wind decides to pick up and take away from their owners to play with. The illustrations are humorous and the narrative has a fun rhyme.
Apr 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the pictures and thought it was fun to think about what the wind would pull into the air next.
Nancy
Jan 13, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for a felt board story. The plot isn't all that great, but children seem to enjoy it. The book could also be used for a sequencing lesson.
Katie Pszczola
The Wind blew could be used in a math literature story lesson about subtraction. It could also be used in addition by adding up all the things that blew away.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 61676 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Angela Randall
Kids love this sort of book, where people wind up running down the street in large mobs chasing stuff.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Toddler Lap Time on 3/7/13 & 3/8/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • A Rainbow of My Own
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Time to Sleep
  • On Mother's Lap
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Who's Hiding?
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • Fish is Fish
  • Too Much Noise
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.
More about Pat Hutchins...