Start by marking “Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que creció en el Bronx” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sonia Sotomayor: A Jud...

Jonah Winter

Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que creció en el Bronx

Before Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor took her seat in our nation's highest court, she was just a little girl in the South Bronx. Justice Sotomayor didn't have a lot growing up, but she had what she needed -- her mother's love, a will to learn, and her own determination. With bravery she became the person she wanted to be. With hard work she succeeded. With little s ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sonia Sotomayor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sonia Sotomayor

Roy
Sep 29, 2015 Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
Inspirational story of a girl who grew up in the Bronx, like myself. We even went to the same high school (Cardinal Spellman in the house!). My daughter loved the illustration of a young Sonia Sotomayor by Edel Rodriguez. Reminded her a bit of herself, although Sonia has "only" made it as far as the Supreme Court while my daughter plans to be President one day. So what's not to love about this book?
Onesia Thompkins
Dora
“Sonia Sotomayor, a judge grows up in the Bronx” is a 2010 Americas Award Commended Title recipient. The plot focuses on the struggle of a Latina growing up and succeeding through college and the US courts. It also brings up the topic of prejudice and feelings of inferiority, topics that may ring true for many Latinos, especially those that attend college. This book is a wonderful additional to any classroom library and curriculum as it not only accounts Sonia’s life but also the obstacles she f ...more
Laura5
"There had never been a Latin American on the Supreme Court. How strange this was! There are so many people of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban descent adding color to the great garden that is America. Why shouldn't all these people have someone who understands their lives on the Supreme Court?"

The text of this book is in both Spanish and English, alternating languages by paragraphs. This does make some of the pages visually very text heavy. But Winter does a nice job of breaking this
Rebecca
This well-intentioned book has the kinds of problems you get when a white male writes a book about a Latina.

Socio-culturally, this book has problems. Aspects of Latino cultures get name-checked, but either they are not explored, or they are explained by comparison to the dominant culture. This has the effect of shutting out the kids who come from the same background as Sotomayor; they are apparently not the intended audience. This book about a Latina from the South Bronx is not really directed a
L13F_Jana Wilkening
This 2010 America's Award Commended title tells the story of Supreme Court judge, Sonia Sotomayor. The story begins with a beautiful metaphor about a flower blooming in an unexpected place. The story then follows Sonia's unexpected journey from poverty and the projects to Princeton and the president! Because she was "tended to and cared for" like a flower (by her mother), she bloomed into an amazing success story. I love the triumphant nature of this story. I love that it shows students how hard ...more
Kara Walker
Jul 28, 2014 Kara Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful read when it comes to understanding the life of Supreme Court judge, Sonia Sotomayor. This book delves into Sotomayor's humble beginnings, focusing on her mother's hard work to get Sonia the best possible education, all the way up to Sonia graduating first in her class at Princeton University and going on to being appointed by President Obama to lead America's justice system. Although this is a children's book, the themes are very adult and dig deeply into issues of raci ...more
Tory
I liked is biography that frankly talks about the trials of growing up in a single parent household in the inner city. She had to work really hard, and the story addresses how hard it still is. The hopeful message is that one can overcome those challenges and still achieve her dreams.
Jamie
A lovely (and bilingual) look at the life and times of Supreme Court Justice, Sonia Sotomayor. She has the tough kind of life experience that all Justices should have if they are to serve the people of this country!
MJ
Jun 03, 2015 MJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too bad that Winter sanitized it so that kids don't know about Sotomayor's mother and how hard she was to live with. It's important for kids to know that we can rise above hardships.
Robin
Apr 30, 2016 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart
Could have knocked me over with a feather - my bouncing off the walls SMART reader sat still through my reading to him of this book.

SMART
Lori Gravley
Sep 21, 2016 Lori Gravley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful bio of an extraordinary woman. This bilingual book tells the story of the first Latino(a) Supreme Court Justice.
Meribeth
Well written, and well-researched. It's great to have both English and Spanish text.
Good read-aloud for second graders.
Holly Friel
Jul 07, 2015 Holly Friel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book to introduce children to the U.S.'s first Latina/o Supreme Court Justice. Highly recommended!
Jan 05, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-nf
This is a nicely done picture book biography -- a good story with readable text, appropriate illustrations, and more biographical details in a final "author's note." It would be perfect for a "current events" storytime... at the library or in a classroom. And it's bilingual--side by side English & Spanish text.

Hey, did you know that Justice Sotomayor came to her current position on the Supreme Court with more legal experience as a federal judge than any of the other current justices at the t
Jenny
I appreciate that this is a bilingual book, particularly since Sotomayor is of Puerto Rican descent. Sotomayor did not have an easy life, but due to the dedication of her mother and her own hard work and determination, she has led a very successful life. I like how the author compares her to a blossoming flower. Great illustrations. I think I will use this in future biography units. It is about a contemporary figure, and it is a high quality, well written biography.
Meg
Aug 03, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Great illustrations and I liked how it brought Judge Sotomayor's story alive with vivid details of her growing up. I thought it did a reasonably good job of addressing issues of race and class, though that part was beyond my preschooler's level so I'm not totally sure how kids will respond. The writing and the metaphors were a little strained in parts (like the flower growing in the city).
Emmanuel Trevino
Apr 15, 2013 Emmanuel Trevino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going into the bilingual education/esl classroom, I know this book is one students from a latino background will see their culture represented in. This book is about the life of an American supreme court judge who overcame obstacles to reach her goal. Not only is she a woman but she is a minority. I would use this book for some of the higher level vocabulary and teach context clues.
Samantha
Sam Bloom
In a year that has given us some fantastic biographies for children, it is fitting that I read this one on Dec. 31. Jonah Winter is always pretty darn wonderful, and this is certainly one of his best books. Edel Rodriguez's illustrations are superb. This is one of the best picture books of 2009.
AnnieM
Apr 07, 2013 AnnieM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in English and Spanish. Tells her life story extremely well with the limited amount of space. Her' s is a story that the American dream,not the lame white, affluent, male that can overcome "adversity" but growing up poor,proving you can do a good job a be rewarded for it.
Patricia
Jonah Winter has done it again! He's written a clear account of Sonia Sotomayor's childhood and academic and professional pursuits. The illustrations are nice, and the translation, by Argentina Palacios Ziegler is good, too. I would definitely use this book in my Spanish classroom!
LauraW
Oct 31, 2010 LauraW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the dual Spanish/English text. The illustrations are good and the story is good. I like the emphasis on hard work. Maybe that is politically correct right now, but it is true, too. Enjoyable.
Jenna Cardinale
Jan 19, 2011 Jenna Cardinale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picture-books
This book might appeal to families who have never been to the South Bronx or don't know anyone who has lived in the projects. Even for a picture book, it's too didactic.
Kelsey
Jun 05, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, non-fiction
I really liked this bio of the supreme court justice. Dual language, about hard work and effort, with a large emphasis on family support. Sweet, empowering, and a great book.
paula
Bonus for being bilingual!

Brief Lives: A list of biographies for kids is on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Marie
Sep 11, 2010 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done picture book biography about a woman who is a great example for all of us. It is so beautifully bi-lingual; that helps one know Justice Sotomayor even better.
Jodi
Jun 07, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter asks that this one be read to her in Spanish which is helping my fluency. A nice book for children.
kiki Jones
Jul 14, 2010 kiki Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful picture book! This book could be used for ELL's because it comes in Spanish and English.
Heather
Apr 19, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Loved it!The biography of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. My daughter loved it, too.
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer