Start by marking “Imagine a Day” as Want to Read:
Imagine a Day

Imagine a Day (Imagine a...)

Imagine a day when your swing swings you higher than the highest treetops. Imagine a day when you can ride your bike up a path of falling leaves into the very tree they are falling from. Imagine a day when you release a handful of blue balloons into a cloudy, gray sky to create a postcard-perfect day. Imagine a day when the ordinary becomes the extraordinary...a day when a ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Imagine a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imagine a Day

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love puzzles, and Escher, and mazes, and optical illusions .... so it figures that I'd be drawn to this, even as an adult. It's one of those picture books that doesn't tell a story but instead looks to engage with children's imaginations and inspire them.

Each page features an "imagine a day..." and a matching illustration.

A sample:

"Imagine a day ...
... when you can dive
down through branches
or swim up
to the sun."

I find myself drawn more to the pictures - like I would be as a child - than to t
Linda
Wow, this is lyrical book is beautifully illustrated. “Imagine a day… …when your house enfolds you like a nest, rocking gently in the autumn wind.” “Imagine a day… …when you don’t need wings to soar.” “…when the edge of the map is only the beginning of what we can explore.” Open up your mind and heart, take courage, and imagine making your dreams come true. This is a wonderful book. The surrealistic illustrations are a gorgeous mingling of reality and, what’s just beyond. Maybe not quite real, b ...more
Mary Catelli
Nov 09, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A picture book.

The text, I'm afraid, is flat-footed and too closely connected to the paintings.

However, the paintings themselves are marvels of tromp l'oeil transitions between one thing and the next. Like a sand castle -- or is it a castle? A couple seemed uninspired to me, but most work well.
Kirah Marshall
Sep 09, 2016 Kirah Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Imagine a day is a picture book that challenges children to use their imagination to imagine impossible things. It is filled with wonderful artwork and pictures that are optical illusions.
2. I would say the grade level for this book would be 1-4th grade. The some words are advanced. I think this book would have a high interest level because the pictures are very captivating.
3. This book would be good to use in a lesson about thinking of different ways to do things.
4. I think students who a
Elfdart
Jul 13, 2010 Elfdart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all i can say is… well read it. it’s mostly pictures, so little to no effort on the reader, but it’s worth it. there’s a phrase on every page which enhances and ties together a collection of amazingly well done pictures. the pictures are somewhat surreal, like those pictures where there is a face and it can either be an old woman or a young woman, have we all been exposed to these? but optical illusions i guess. they are brightly coloured and imaginative and give the reader a lot to look at. th ...more
Jesse
WOW. These surreal illustrations are amazing! I think my favorite is the very last: a library with books that become doors taking their readers to unlimited worlds. <3
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Great message for children and adults. Imagine a day when anything and everything is possible...
Elle Markov
Dec 26, 2016 Elle Markov rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely rate a book a 1, however, this book completely fell flat. The illustrations initially attracted the children’s attention. But, after a couple of pages even the art failed to hold their attention. The story was virtually non-existent and the prose was nowhere near imaginative enough to keep anyone hooked.

Rating 1 out of 5
Read@Book
Laura Olson
Six + 1 Trait: Idea, Organization
Nicole
Mar 07, 2017 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely pictures and equally lovely text. Very simple. Others here say the text is flat and simplistic but I think it can be very existential depending on how you look at it.
Stela
Feb 19, 2017 Stela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great combination of pictures that awaken the imagination with just few words chosen wisely and precisely. The kids loved it and kept on expressing thoughts on the pictures and meaning.
Lindsey Mineweaser
Imagine a Day is a book about anything being possible. This book asks us to imagine a day when you can dive through branches, swim up to the sun, or fill a dark sky with blue balloons. Anything is possible in this book full of creative text and illustrations.

The illustrations in this book appear to be optical illusions. For example, on one page the illustration appears to be a white bridge on blue water. However, if you look closer at the image, the white bridge turns into white sailboats. In a
Tori Serrano
I really enjoyed reading Imagine a Day because of the illustrations and the way that the words correlated with them. Imagine a day is a book on illusions and the pictures show a scene that is realistic looking, but has a twist. There is no plot to the story. There is just a consistent theme where each new page starts off by saying, “Imagine a day…” then it goes into a description of the illustration.

The illustrations are really creative in this book because they look so realistic, but in some w
Kris
I chose to use this book for a class. The theme/genre is poetry. This book may be too much for a young reader to read on their own (save that for 3-5 grade) but I recently read it aloud to a 1st grade class. I had to change some of the more advanced words-- but they absolutely loved the pictures and creativity. This book was a huge change for them considering they are use to poetry that rhymes and could be considered very simplistic. Personally, I do not underestimate a child's creativity or abi ...more
Jaclyn Giordano
Imagine a Day, written by Sarah Thomson and illustrated by Rob Gonslaves, is a picture book intended for readers in grade three through grade six. I gave it five stars. “Imagine a day...when a book swings open on silent hinges, and a place you’ve never seen before welcomes you home. Imagine…today.” This book is a beautifully creative integration of text and pictures. The text invites readers to imagine days as “a road you have never ridden on before,” “when you forget how to fall,” or “when you ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Rob Gonsalves has put together an amazing body of work. His illustrations are amazing. There is a strong M.C. Escher influence - with plenty of playing with perspective and your perception.

There has been an attempt to bring these disperate paintings together into a coherent book through a common theme (they are all during the day) and a common refrain ("Imagine a day").

Sarah L. Thomson's text leaves a lot to be desired. The few lines of text with picture format constantly reminded me of those r
Sarah Sammis
Imagine a Day is another collaboration between author Sarah L. Thomson and Canadian painter, Rob Gonsalves. This book is themed around day time adventures, all of which have a surreal twist to them.

The book asks the reader to imagine days when mirrors become lakes and moats are used to invite guests over instead of keeping them out. There is a fast approaching train being held up by a bridge of circus acrobats. Cities become blocks and sky scrapers are like the pickets in a fence around a yard.

M
Paul
Aug 08, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book seems like it got DNA from Manfred Escher and Chris Van Allsburg. Rob Gonsalves' paintings are breathtaking, although his closeups of people don't work as well as his landscapes, buildings and structures. His foreshortening, use of different heights, and transitioning from a fence into a building or ship into a bridge or a forest into church spires is very imaginative. Although there were several that just didn't work for me, my favorites (building blocks on a picnic table and an urban ...more
Anna Louise
Sep 06, 2014 Anna Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On each double page, with illustration facing text, we are encouraged to imagine a different day, a day when the most mystical, amazing, incredible things are possible—like "dive down through branches or swim up to the sun." A day "when you forget how to fall," or "when you don't need wings to soar," or "when your sand castle can withstand even the highest waves." Naturalistic, detailed acrylic paintings draw us into this visual magic of transformations. The large pages offer ample room for all ...more
Bailey Scales
Imagine a Day brought out the inner child within me while reading. It is all about imagining endless possibilities. I would read this book to third or fourth graders. Even though this book has very few words that are easy to grasp, the message it promotes is not easy to grasp. This book has the readers question their own imagination and really consider the what ifs in life. I would use this book for a writing lesson, such as journal entries, to just see where it leads the students for a writing ...more
Loraine
Sep 13, 2015 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My eyes are wide with wonder! The paintings by Canadian artist Rob Gonsalves are absolutely stunning. The colors are delicious. The perspective--well it morphs! What is real and what is imaginary, you ask yourself, whether but a child or an elder. Any youngster could spend hour after hour pondering all the subtle shifts of time and place into something even more wondrous. To be a child again and experience this!

Sarah Thomson's reflections are elegant:
Imagine a day . . .
. . . when the edge of th
Emkoshka
Imaginative, mind-expanding, whimsical, beautiful. I think my favourite painting and accompanying text was: 'Imagine a day ... when we build a moat, not to keep strangers out, but to welcome them in'. It resonated with me, given the politics of fear and difference being used to cast refugees and asylum seekers as the enemy here in Australia. But also, who could resist an interactive jigsaw puzzle! Or a city that you build yourself? A half-submerged forest of cathedrals? Or books swinging open to ...more
Traci Bold
May 10, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a day where you can do anything you want and be whatever you want to be. That day is here. The essence of such a day is captured in this stunning and surreal picture book that pushed the imagination beyond it's limits and begs you to push past yours.

A truly wonderful book to spark imaginations everywhere and make you think, 'I know I can, I know I can.'

Written by Sarah L. Thomson, illustrated by Rob Gonsalves and published by Atheneum Books for Young Readers.

#imagination #creativity #Be
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a Day is full of illusions and fun breath taking illustrations. Its really more about the illustrations then the story which is excellent because it inspires children to imagine. You will find yourself going back to look at the illustrations to absorb it all in. You will almost always find something new. The literature is a great match to the illustrations, its definitely a must read!
Tanja
Sep 25, 2015 Tanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of stunning picture books written by Sarah L. Thomson with paintings by Rob Gonsalves:
Imagine a Day
Imagine a Place
Imagine a Night.
Absolute treasures! My favorite is Imagine a Day.
Picture books for every age group. Younger readers will enjoy in particular exploring the paintings with all their details and hidden clues, while older readers will enjoy to wonder and ponder about the embedded messages, sparking imagination, creativity and dreams.
Marcie
May 25, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and it's two preequel - Imagine a Night and the 2008 one Imagine a Place. The surrealistic paintings remind me of MC Escher. I must be on a Canadian kick because all my recent favorite books are from Canada. Favorite pages are "imagine a day... ...when grace and daring are all we need to build a bridge" and the last page "...when a book swings open on silent hinges, and a place you've never seen before welcomes you home."
Annalee
Jun 20, 2014 Annalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to be written in response to the illustrations rather than the other way around. Each page encourages readers to "imagine a day" related to something in the illustration, so there's no continual narration, but it would make a good complement to a children's study of surrealist art, esp. since the illustrator (whose bio comes before the writer on the back flap) gives a nod to some of the greats of that movement.
Scottsdale Public Library
A simple book of short verses that all start with “Imagine a Day…” Accompanying each verse is a creative, imaginative illustration by Robert Gonsalves that beautifully personifies the words. Every illustration is also an optical illusion that young readers will enjoy unraveling. This is a good book for elementary school children. If you enjoy it, this author/illustrator team has done 2 other books together as well. – Hannah V.
Mae East
May 30, 2014 Mae East rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding pictures in this book. If you haven't seen it, go check it out at a book store or library or better yet, buy a copy to keep. You will love looking at this with a child or even alone. Every time I open this book I find myself getting lost in the creativity of it all. Great pictures! Loved it!
Dolly
Dec 03, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I picked this book out because it had some amazing illustrations that are optical illusions as well as just plain fun pictures. Our girls liked it, but I think they might appreciate it more when they are older. I liked the word imagery that went along with the pictures; to me the book is like a very intense dream.
  • The Tin Forest
  • Enigma: A Magical Mystery
  • Museum ABC
  • Memorial
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Willoughby & The Lion
  • June 29, 1999
  • The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (Portfolio Edition)
  • A Story for Bear
  • Tadpole's Promise
  • Night of the Gargoyles
  • Home And Away
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • King Pig
  • Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Weslandia