Imagine a Day

Imagine a Day

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Imagine a day when your swing swings you higher than the highest treetops. Imagine a day when you can ride your bike up a path of falling leaves into the very tree they are falling from. Imagine a day when you release a handful of blue balloons into a cloudy, gray sky to create a postcard-perfect day. Imagine a day when the ordinary becomes the extraordinary...a day when a...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Imagine a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imagine a Day

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I love puzzles, and Escher, and mazes, and optical illusions .... so it figures that I'd be drawn to this, even as an adult. It's one of those picture books that doesn't tell a story but instead looks to engage with children's imaginations and inspire them.

Each page features an "imagine a day..." and a matching illustration.

A sample:

"Imagine a day ...
... when you can dive
down through branches
or swim up
to the sun."

I find myself drawn more to the pictures - like I would be as a child - than to t...more
Linda
Wow, this is lyrical book is beautifully illustrated. “Imagine a day… …when your house enfolds you like a nest, rocking gently in the autumn wind.” “Imagine a day… …when you don’t need wings to soar.” “…when the edge of the map is only the beginning of what we can explore.” Open up your mind and heart, take courage, and imagine making your dreams come true. This is a wonderful book. The surrealistic illustrations are a gorgeous mingling of reality and, what’s just beyond. Maybe not quite real, b...more
Elfdart
all i can say is… well read it. it’s mostly pictures, so little to no effort on the reader, but it’s worth it. there’s a phrase on every page which enhances and ties together a collection of amazingly well done pictures. the pictures are somewhat surreal, like those pictures where there is a face and it can either be an old woman or a young woman, have we all been exposed to these? but optical illusions i guess. they are brightly coloured and imaginative and give the reader a lot to look at. th...more
Anna Louise
On each double page, with illustration facing text, we are encouraged to imagine a different day, a day when the most mystical, amazing, incredible things are possible—like "dive down through branches or swim up to the sun." A day "when you forget how to fall," or "when you don't need wings to soar," or "when your sand castle can withstand even the highest waves." Naturalistic, detailed acrylic paintings draw us into this visual magic of transformations. The large pages offer ample room for all...more
Randie
Great message for children and adults. Imagine a day when anything and everything is possible...
Jaclyn Giordano
Imagine a Day, written by Sarah Thomson and illustrated by Rob Gonslaves, is a picture book intended for readers in grade three through grade six. I gave it five stars. “Imagine a day...when a book swings open on silent hinges, and a place you’ve never seen before welcomes you home. Imagine…today.” This book is a beautifully creative integration of text and pictures. The text invites readers to imagine days as “a road you have never ridden on before,” “when you forget how to fall,” or “when you...more
Kris
I chose to use this book for a class. The theme/genre is poetry. This book may be too much for a young reader to read on their own (save that for 3-5 grade) but I recently read it aloud to a 1st grade class. I had to change some of the more advanced words-- but they absolutely loved the pictures and creativity. This book was a huge change for them considering they are use to poetry that rhymes and could be considered very simplistic. Personally, I do not underestimate a child's creativity or abi...more
Mrs.
This book seems to be written in response to the illustrations rather than the other way around. Each page encourages readers to "imagine a day" related to something in the illustration, so there's no continual narration, but it would make a good complement to a children's study of surrealist art, esp. since the illustrator (whose bio comes before the writer on the back flap) gives a nod to some of the greats of that movement.
Kristen
Imagine a Day is full of illusions and fun breath taking illustrations. Its really more about the illustrations then the story which is excellent because it inspires children to imagine. You will find yourself going back to look at the illustrations to absorb it all in. You will almost always find something new. The literature is a great match to the illustrations, its definitely a must read!
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Rob Gonsalves has put together an amazing body of work. His illustrations are amazing. There is a strong M.C. Escher influence - with plenty of playing with perspective and your perception.

There has been an attempt to bring these disperate paintings together into a coherent book through a common theme (they are all during the day) and a common refrain ("Imagine a day").

Sarah L. Thomson's text leaves a lot to be desired. The few lines of text with picture format constantly reminded me of those r...more
Mae East
Outstanding pictures in this book. If you haven't seen it, go check it out at a book store or library or better yet, buy a copy to keep. You will love looking at this with a child or even alone. Every time I open this book I find myself getting lost in the creativity of it all. Great pictures! Loved it!
Sarah Sammis
Imagine a Day is another collaboration between author Sarah L. Thomson and Canadian painter, Rob Gonsalves. This book is themed around day time adventures, all of which have a surreal twist to them.

The book asks the reader to imagine days when mirrors become lakes and moats are used to invite guests over instead of keeping them out. There is a fast approaching train being held up by a bridge of circus acrobats. Cities become blocks and sky scrapers are like the pickets in a fence around a yard.

M...more
Mrs. Knott
I was just writing my review of Journey by Aaron Becker and thought about this book. I thought there were some similarities and then realized I had not put this book on my read shelf!
The illustrations are amazing and so thought provoking. The prose is beautiful and pairs well with the illustrations.
Paul
This book seems like it got DNA from Manfred Escher and Chris Van Allsburg. Rob Gonsalves' paintings are breathtaking, although his closeups of people don't work as well as his landscapes, buildings and structures. His foreshortening, use of different heights, and transitioning from a fence into a building or ship into a bridge or a forest into church spires is very imaginative. Although there were several that just didn't work for me, my favorites (building blocks on a picnic table and an urban...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The illustrations are gorgeous and love the perspective.
Emkoshka
Imaginative, mind-expanding, whimsical, beautiful. I think my favourite painting and accompanying text was: 'Imagine a day ... when we build a moat, not to keep strangers out, but to welcome them in'. It resonated with me, given the politics of fear and difference being used to cast refugees and asylum seekers as the enemy here in Australia. But also, who could resist an interactive jigsaw puzzle! Or a city that you build yourself? A half-submerged forest of cathedrals? Or books swinging open to...more
Bee
Beautiful, clever.
Suburban Homeschooler
What a nice change of pace. These illustrations really engage a wide range of readers and get them to examine closely the art. The poetry is nice, but the star here is the art.
Marcie
I love this book and it's two preequel - Imagine a Night and the 2008 one Imagine a Place. The surrealistic paintings remind me of MC Escher. I must be on a Canadian kick because all my recent favorite books are from Canada. Favorite pages are "imagine a day... ...when grace and daring are all we need to build a bridge" and the last page "...when a book swings open on silent hinges, and a place you've never seen before welcomes you home."
Megan Goss
I was surprised when I read this book. The illustrations are amazing if you like optical illusions. I had to take a second look on each page because it might look normal at first until you look closely and see something much more imaginative. I could look at the pictures over and over and probably notice something new each time. The text is also descriptive and poetic to match the illustrations.
Anne
Absolutely lovely illustrations. Vibrant and imaginative. Text is sparse but also evocative. Great for a young one who is just starting to read on their own - just need once through it with an adult. Also would be fine just for looking at the pictures and making up one's own stories about them. No plot, each two page layout is complete in itself.
Susan Pace-Koch
When I first saw this book by Sarah Thomson, illustrated by Rob Gonsalves, I was so intrigued by the art that I didn't even notice the words! Page after page of beautiful illustration and wonderment. I finally went back to find Sarah Thomson's words a perfect match. Not too much, simple, but carried the thought.. almost floating on the page.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I picked this book out because it had some amazing illustrations that are optical illusions as well as just plain fun pictures. Our girls liked it, but I think they might appreciate it more when they are older. I liked the word imagery that went along with the pictures; to me the book is like a very intense dream.
Lissie Moore
I really liked this book but I think it would be for older kids, maybe fourth grade?
This book had some really creative pictures and it really made you think when you look at them. Also, the words to go with the images were really good! I enjoyed trying to depict the pictures and see what the illusion was.
Lindsey

Imagine a day...
...when grace and daring
are all we need
to build a bridge.

and so on. The illustrations make this book great. They are fantastical and thought provoking.
Stephanie
This book, although nice in its poetry, realy is about the illustrations. This is like M.C.Esher for children. I loved it and spent a long time looking at each page. I recommend this to anyone and everyone, to just sit and enjoy the illustrations. So worth your time!
Lindsay
This is a stunningly illustrated book. I especially love the picture of the children in the library opening doors to new worlds, which is exactly where books take you! I would use this book for a Spanish or bilingual story time focused on imagination and/or poetry.
Natalie
I love love loved this book for the illustrations. Soooo fun! You can buy his art and I would love to get one for each of my kids to hang in their rooms. For now we'll just have to get the books. The kids loved looking at them too.
Megan
I used this for theme. The kids had to think of the message on each page. They LOVED the illustrations and coming up with the lesson learned. It's a harder lesson, but the kids really liked it!
  • The Tin Forest
  • A Story for Bear
  • The Three Questions
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • Clara and Asha
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Prehistoric Actual Size
Dragon's Egg Imagine a Night Imagine a Place The Secret of the Rose Cub's Big World