Start by marking “Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium (with audio recording)” as Want to Read:
Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium (with audio recording)

Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium (with audio recording)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Visit this one-stop pirate shop for all your swashbuckling needs, from #1 New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Calef Brown.

Are you a Privateer?
A Mutineer?
Or a happy-go-lucky Buccaneer?
Do you need top quality pirate gear?
Well never fear,
Pirateria is here!

Welcome to Pirateria, the most glorious pirate emporium on the
Published July 10th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pirateria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirateria

Brianna
Catchy and rhyming and one thing all kids love, pirates! I have yet to meet a child who didn't like pirate stories. And this isn't just pirates, it's where they shop to get all their scary and sea tools. The colors are dark, which goes well with the most popular pirate stories and such I have seen and heard. I had fun reading this book to my son, but I do have to say that it is one of the few books he didn't want to read again. But he is only two so that might have a little to do with that, even ...more
Kevin Doyle
Feb 06, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pirate loving boys and girls, text grows long in parts so best for 3 or 4 yrs or older
Both our 7 1/2 yr old daughter and 3 12 yr old son liked this book a lot. Our young boy particularly enjoyed it, but I think that was mainly due to my amazing pirate accent!

Here are the two things I appreciated most about this one.

1 - I love great art in a picture book and Mr. Brown has a fantastic, unique style which is pretty much perfect for this pirate book. There's plenty of diversity and fun details in his illustrations and each big double spread is a joy to study. Big pirates, short ones,
Amy Musser
Where do pirates get the latest fashion in hooks and eye patches? Where can they go to find the best cutlasses and scimitars? Why, Pirateria, of course! You’ll see pirates of all shapes and sizes trying on the latest “duds for saber clashers” and sneak attack disguises. Browse the aisles of this amazing store that puts the “arg” in “bargain.”

Brown’s rhyming text is humorous and clever, full of word play and pirate jargon sure to delight readers of all ages. The acrylic illustrations include witt
Kathleen
Learn how to talk like a pirate with this sea chanty advertisement in the form of a picture book. Pirateria: The Wonderful Plunderful Pirate Emporium features a diverse cast of swashbucklers, marketing everything a buccaneer needs- from eye patches to night classes. Early elementary school students will appreciate the whimsical rhymes while children in upper grades will recognize the satirical placement of sales jargon and disclaimers. Calef Brown’s corresponding illustrations juxtapose colorful ...more
Stacy
What a disappointment. I love the concept of this book and it fell flat. Boring, poor illustrations, forced rhymes . . . need I go on?
Mike Seelaus
New favorite book to read to my son.
Ina
With rhyming text and detailed illustrations, this book worked with my young storytime audience in spite of some very sophisticated concepts and higher than usual vocabulary. Privateer, mutineer, buccaneer seeking top quality pirate gear...wow. The kids listened to every word, describing this "glorious pirate emporium" and all the gear and classes available as well as specials. There was even a page of pirates modeling the latest in eye patches which the audience enthusiastically counted. What a ...more
Nora
If pirates and buccaneers need to shop they go to the Pirateria--everything a mutineer needs like an eyepatch or a pegleg.
Kate
This is such a great concept--at least I thought so at first. Of course the trouble with a book that is written to be a pretend ad is that it reads like...an ad. The poetry can be a little forced at times. And it reminds me of Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer.

That being said, my 3 and 1/2 year old and 2 year old LOVE the pictures. They also like to put the ""ARG" in bargain!"

Not a family favorite, but surely worth a quick perusal at the library to see if your family would like it.
Lauren Candia
Reads like an ad for the best pirate store ever.

Samantha
A rhyming tour through the one-stop pirate shop! Text is heavy with pirate lingo, which is this book's primary selling point. The illustrations are full color and resemble child drawings, which I think young readers will enjoy.

May be a good read aloud for early elementary grades. Recommended for priate gfans or Talk Like Pirate Day!
Andi
We absolutely loved this book!! The illustrations are charming, quirky and detailed, lots of color and expression! It reads more like an ad or a comical catalogue of pirate goods than a story. Lots of stereotypical pirate language in unexpected spots, like the inside cover's "arrgyle sock sale" and "extra fine quinine." Loved, loved it!
Lauren
This is a really cute book about pirates and all the things you need to be a pirate which you can get at the pirate store! I think this is a great book for K-3. I think it is appealing because its a fun way to talk about the different things pirates need. I think this would be a fun book to have around Halloween!
Phoebe
Three pages in and my 7-yr.-old listener was bored stiff. Muddy art with dim colors and a seriously monotonous text just kills this good idea of a pirate mall with pirate merchandise--poor delivery. Still, the rhymes are clever; the book's concept goes hand-in-hand with The Pirates! movie.
Jen
This book is so great. There are a lot of details that the author used to make it even more special. like 15 "aye-tems" or less. Some of the words might be hard to pronounce for beginning readers, but very enjoyable for an adult and child to share.
Mari
I do like Calef Brown, but I think I like his books of shorter poems better than this offering, which is one long picture book poem. Still, it will very likely delight young pirate-lovers.
Amber
I was entertained by this book, but my kids were only semi-interested. I think a lot of the vocabulary was over their heads. Good premise, just didn't live up to what it could have been.
Ensignlibrary
This is a great book for all phrases pirate turned into a great lyrical montage. I particularly like it since we have a pirate treasure theme in the school library this year.
Alyssa
Not too groundbreaking, but it has some very funny lines like, "we put the 'arg' in 'bargain.'" This would be great to read at an older storytime.
Lorna
I adore Calef Brown's poetry books, and this picture book was great, colorful rhyming fun. Pirate fans and Calef Brown fans will delight.
Kris
"At Pirateria, we put the 'arg' in 'bargain'!"
So fun to think of where privateers get their pirate gear, and the word play is wonderful.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
This one is way cute, fun, and both kids were drawn to it (even the cranky one who insisted he didn't want to read a book).
Rachel
Like the that it is satirizing store advertisements, can't quiet get the rhythm of the text.
Dolly
Sep 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
The rhyming scheme is a bit awkward at times, but otherwise, it's an entertaining book.
Robyn Schultz
This would be fun for younger children and great as a read aloud story.
Rhyming

Acrylics in blues, purples and grays - less pink yellow and green.
Beth
I liked the idea of this book but the rhymes felt forced to me.
Jenny
I think I've had enough of the pirate books! Can we move on?
Sharper1
Apparently it *really* bugs me when the rhyming is off. :-/
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Polkabats and Octopus Slacks: 14 Stories Flamingos on the Roof Boy Wonders Hallowilloween: Nefarious Silliness from Calef Brown Dutch Sneakers and Fleakeepers: 14 More Stories