Start by marking “Robot Zot!” as Want to Read:
Robot Zot!

Jon Scieszka

Robot Zot!

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  142 reviews
From the minds of Scieszka and Shannon comes a tale of a quixotic robot determined to conquer the earth. The only problem is that the earth he lands on is a suburban kitchen and he is three inches tall. Robot Zot, the fearless and unstoppable warrior, leaves a trail of destruction as he encounters blenders, toasters, and televisions. But when he discovers the princess...a ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Robot Zot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robot Zot!

The Library Lady
I know I am supposed to love this.
Jon Scieszka! David Shannon! Robots! Super Cool!

But alas, I don't.
I'm sure the kids will love it--I mean, it's ROBOTS!

I'm sure the Caldecott people will adore this. After all, it's 2 superstars of kidlit working together, who would dare find it anything but fabulous?

But I don't. And I won't pretend otherwise.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
M.cholewick
Robot Zot is about a robot named, Zot who has a mission to "conquer all." Ironically, robot Zot is only a couple inches tall, and battles common household appliances. However, he encounters the "Queen" and all the sudden, his mission changes to that of love-struck hero.

Initially, I was looking forward to reading this book for young readers, however, I was very disappointed in it. Perhaps it's from reading it as an adult, but I found the text font difficult to read. Although I can see why it wou
rtxlib
Robot Zot posits the question what if, instead of being a delusional geriatric man caught up in the romance of Medieval chivalry, Don Quixote was actually a delusional two foot tall robot from outer space. Wearing a Saturnesque helmet similar to the barber basin Don Quixote dons and dutifully followed by a dog like creature in the shape of a Spanish conquistador helmet with googly eyes, Zot crash lands in the heart of "Earth Army."

While the Robot heedlessly rushes into the fray the book pans ou
L-Crystal Wlodek
Robot Zot is recommended for children ages preschool-third grade. This book is about a robot who wants to conquer the world. Robot Zot crashes into an alien environment of a suburban kitchen, battles with fearsome kitchen appliances and a TV, which he calls a challenging transmitter. He also rescues a toy cell phone, which is better known as the Queen of all Earth before zooming off to distant galaxies to save anything else he can.

This book has everything that interests young children including
CH - Marvin Childress
Author: Jon Scieszka; Illustrated: David Shannon; (Print;) Age: k-3

Robot Zot! is book reminiscent of Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story. Zot is a toy robot from another planet who decides to invade Earth. He lands in a home where he thinks all electronics are attacking him. He is very confrontational...particularly when he sees his reflection in the toaster. He challenges himself to fight and wins. Zot feels he has defeated all electronics and he falls in love with a toy cellular telephone that he ki
Ch13_megan Carlisle
Children will enjoy Zot's adventures as he takes on household appliances and falls for the beautiful "Earth Queen". The paintings in the text version of this book fill up all the space on the page. They are attention getting and colorful, transporting the reader into Robot Zot's war with the household appliances. The repetition of the text will benefit younger readers as they root for Zot and his attempt to rescue his beloved queen.

Scholastic also has a DVD version of Robot Zot that comes with 4
Cheryl
I thought it was mildy amusing. A child would probably think it amazing. Children are small & imaginative - so just as stories like The Borrowers were popular in their time, stories like this enchant today's children. I love that the Robot is scuffed up, well-worn. I love that the pictures fly out and off the pages.
Dergrossest
This is what a kid's book should be: funny for the child and amusing for the parent. My 6 year old twins cannot stop laughing whenever I pull this out and they really want to know what the few big words mean so that they can enjoy it even more - I call that "Mission Accomplished". The illustration is excellent as well. Bam-bot!
Melanie
Robots are popular and this book definitely provides a positive literary component. Robot Zot, after having conquered all of the kitchen technology, heads into the living room and destroys the tv. Apparently the tv commercial for toothpaste was combative.He then heads into a different room where he meets the queen, a toy phone that becomes the love of his life. But first he must rescue her from her evil captors (the kids). As soon as he gets the queen out of the house he encounters the most dang ...more
Edward Lee
Robot Zot, the conqueror of worlds, the destroyer of lives, and well three inches tall. This pint sized Napoleon-esque has but mission, infiltrate the menacing, well equipped suburban kitchen. A battle of epic proportions with a toaster and TV ensue, but is soon awestruck with “Queen of all Earth” or you know, a toy cellphone. With his lady by his side there was no obstacles to tough, and soon all the household monsters were vanquished, saved the day, and leaves with his love onto his next great ...more
Danielle
The Turkeybird Speaks(My three year old son's perspective): "I'm a huge fan of both robots and dogs and this book has both! Plus, it also has that funny phone my sister, Littlebug, is always carrying all over the house, just so she can dance at any given moment. Yuck! I'm not a big fan of dancing, as you could probably guess, but robots...robots are cool!

"Robot Zot has come to earth to conquer us and take our planet captive! He starts off in a small house (since he is a little smaller than you'd
Amy
The kids liked this book. My nephew liked it because he likes robots, and because it was a colorful action-packed book, just the sort of thing that appeals to him. He laughed in places, but I'm not sure exactly how much of this book he really understood. At times it seemed like he understood what was going on, other times he seemed confused. But then, so was I, so I can't say I blame him.

My niece liked it because it was a colorful action-packed book that she thought was funny and clever.

I did no
Peter
I've become a fan of Jon Scieszka. He grew up with 4 brothers, is involved in education, and writes for boys.

James, who is six, thought this was fun, but not awesome. I agree. A good read, not one we'll buy. I think if Will (eight) had read it when he was younger, he would have liked it. He's more interested in Robots than the others, but has been reading chapter books for a couple of years now.

While they aren't all hits, Scieska's books consistently interest my boys. Smash Crash was a bigger hi
Esther
Well, this book boasts the dynamic duo of Jon Scieszka and David Shannon which could only be beat possibly by Scieszka & Lane Smith (who have collaborated multiple times). I would say that this book is geared to boys (which isn't surprising as Scieszka started a group & website "guys read" and another "guys write") as it is about a war-making robot who destroys every kitchen appliance in his way to world domination. But Aurora loves it although I'm not exactly sure why as the book is abo ...more
Cristina
Text Summary
Robot Zot crash lands his Attack Ship in the land of the dangerous Earth Army... aka a typical suburban kitchen. He soon finds that he must battle Earth’s shiny captain (a toaster), a giant transmission sender (t.v.), and Earth’s most fearsome Commander General (a puppy), to save the beloved Earth Queen (a toy phone). Robot Zot faces his challenges heroically as he calls out: “Robot Zot—Brave Bot! Robot Zot—Hero Bot!”

Literary merits
In this picture book, Jon Scieszka weaves together r
Shel
Scieszka, J. (2009). Robot Zot! New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

Appetizer: Warlord Robot Zot has arrived on Earth to conquer the Earthlings. As his battles begin, it turns out he's after different Earthlings than the reader would expect. As Robot Zot seeks to conquer foe after foe, he finds someone worth fighting for.

So very imaginative and fun!

Jon Scieszka uses onomatopoeia, rhymes, repetition and a fun rhythm to tell Robot Zot's adventure. It's hard not to b
Betsy
Fred and Ginger. Abbott and Costello. Cheech and Chong. Famous pairings have flourished throughout history, and it’s a proud person who can put their finger down and say, “I was there when it started. I remember the beginning.” So as you sit in your comfy little chairs surfing the web, take a moment in breathe deeply and commit to memory this moment in history. When Jon Scieszka and David Shannon made a picture book together at last. Oh, I know they’ve worked together before. But the Trucktown s ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Ordinarily I would not have been drawn to this but I flipped to the last page and the expression on the Black Labs face made me read this.
It's a "Wham bam Thank you Mam" kina story. Minimal plot minimal verbiage, but packs one heck of a whallop.
I did end up really appreciating the humor which was in the details on every inch of every page. The Artist style took a few pages to get into, bu I was all in by the 4 th page and loved it.Everything is very metallic Ina 1950's flavor.
The fact that Robot
Isabel
Young children will love this book, especially the boys in your class! Jon Scieszka writes a simple story about Robot Zot, who thinks that he can conquer all. It isn't until he meets the female bot that he suddenly feels something "more than war in his machinery." This cute story has plenty of eye-pleasing double page illustrations in it that show the comedic and destructive ways of Robot Zot.
Cathy
Immediately I knew that David Shannon drew these pictures. The charcters have these huge eyes and large shapes. The colors are so bright and vibrant. Robt Zot is destroying everything in his world. He attacked the toaster, blender and the t.v. He is just a toy but speaks in the manner of a human. Zot challenges the earth's shiny captain (the toaster). Zot comes in contact with another toy (play phone. The toy steals his heart. This book was so funny when he feel in love he wouldnt let anyone or ...more
Treasa
Robot Zot lands on earth prepared to do battle with the armies he encounters there. With his trusty dog (Best Pal Bot) at his side, Robot Zot bests the many evils he meets, many of which have a striking resemblance to electronics found in the home.

Sometimes I really liked this book, and sometimes I found it tedious. I am not really a fan of David Shannon's illustrations - I often find them disturbing. (One picture in particular in this book I found pretty scary. If I were a young child reading i
Jackie Pino
Fearsome Robot Zot has plans to conquer Earth. Unfortunately, he is no bigger than a mouse. However, Zot knows no difference and conquers one family’s home, one appliance at a time. When he discovers his Queen, a colorful toy phone, Zot helps her escape from her guards only to be confronted by the family’s dog in the front yard.
Robot Zot gives off a Toy Story vibe, that all kids will enjoy. The storyline is quite humorous and kids will be entertained by figuring out what household item Zot will
Shelley
My boys would give this 5 stars because they love it, they can't read it enough... robot zot! My husband and I however give it 4 and highly recommend not reading this at bedtime as they'll have a hard time calming down and not laughing pretending to be robots.
Sandi Roe
Used this book as a flannel board story for library story time. The kids really enjoyed this story of Robot Zot and his battle of various kitchen appliances. After seeing a pink toy cell phone, Robot Zot rescues "her" and takes her with him to other galaxies.
Joanna
Scieszka does it again- this book is hilarious and adorable. Robot Zot fiercely defends the galaxy against kitchen appliances. He battles the toaster and the blender until he spots her- a robotic toy-that he must save from the evil dog in the backyard.
Naomi
Yeah, this book just didn't do it for me. I can't see how it would do it for children either. I found it to be nonsensical. The only redeeming grace for me is that the illustrations were pretty dang cool.
Simon Wojtaszek
Hilarious and so cute, the illustrations tell half the story, so don't forget to look closely! You adored robot Zot's zeal, even if he did cause a lot of destruction for one tiny guy!
Sam Wojtaszek
Barb Keister
Clever story with vibrant illustrations as Robot Zot finds the Queen of his dreams. I think I would love this story more if I was an eight-year-old boy!
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Clink
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Once Upon a Royal Superbaby
  • Brontorina
  • Stretch
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • I'm a Shark
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales Math Curse The Frog Prince, Continued Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka