Start by marking “No T. Rex in the Library” as Want to Read:
No T. Rex in the Library

Toni Buzzeo

No T. Rex in the Library

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  68 reviews
It’s a quiet morning in the library—until a little girl roars out of control! Tess resigns herself to a time-out, but finds that she is the one who has to maintain order when a T. rex leaps from the pages of a book into real life. Books scatter, knights clatter, and a pirate brandishes a sword as T. rex leads the charge to the stars. Will Tess be able t ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No T. Rex in the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No T. Rex in the Library

Karen
As a mom who tried to read this book to her five-year-old son, I did not like this book. The weird rhyming/non-rhyming text of this book is bad.

As a former children's librarian, I deplored this book, because:

1. Dropping off your child in the children's section of the library for a ten-minute time-out while you disappear into another part of the library is VERY BAD.

2. Allowing your child to run wild through the library, knocking over books, displays and presumably stacks, is VERY BAD.

3. Allowing
Nick
The idea was good, but the execution was very odd. A little girl ends up learning a valuable lesson from what is probably her own imagination, as the dinosaur from one of the books in the library shows her the down side of her own behavior. At least, that's the way I would like to think this book is supposed to read.
The problem is that the author and artist are sometimes vague on the boundaries of her reality. Do books really get knocked over during the dinosaur's rampage? And why does her mothe
Rachel
Undoubtedly Forrest's favorite of our checkouts from the library this week. It's cute and he loves it, but it bugs me when I can't tell whether or not a book is supposed to rhyme.
Laurie
Rachel
I used this as a read-aloud at a library-themed storytime, and it was incredibly awkward to read. I like the idea of "no beastie behavior in the library" but it needed a rewrite! Zero flow.
Samantha  DuPree
Tess goes to the library on Tuesday morning with her mom. She is loud and out of control pushing books of the table until her mother puts her in time out. Her mom says there is no beastie behavior at the library and while Tess fumes in time out she knocks over a shelf. Out of one of the books pops a T.Rex. Tess jumps on its back as it scatters books everywhere with its huge tail. Out of some books they knock down, comes a handful of knights who charge after them. Then a book of the sea falls ope ...more
Drew
•Brief summary
Tess is at the Library and she isn't on her greatest behavior and is not being nice to the books. So Tess' mom put her in time out. While in time out she knocks a book open and her imagination runs wild. The T.rex runs around the library knocking over books, stomping on them, climbing on them, and finally ripping a book in half. So Tess puts the T.rex in timeout because when you have beastie behavior in he library the books can come to harm.
•Audience
Good book for pre-k and kinder
Bre Peoples
Tess goes to the library and is misbehaving so her mom puts her in time out. While in time out she knocks a book open and her imagination runs wild. The T.rex in the book comes to life and runs around the library knocking over books, stomping on them, and eventually rips a book in half.Tess then puts the T. Rex in timeout to stop the destruction. This book is good for early readers.

This book is very exciting for children but also helps them to understand how to act in a library. The illustration
Alyn
This was a fun read. The illustrations weren't great but it's still worth the read. This book is about a girl that goes to a public library and decides she doesn't want to be quiet. After being chastised by her mother, she sits down near some books and that is when her short lived adventure began. To her horror, she meets a dinosaur that acts the same exact way that she was earlier.
Rachel
I like books about the library and am always on the lookout for picture books in that setting. I figured this one would interest my son as it has dinosaurs. A woman puts her daughter Tess in time-out for ten minutes for being a "little beastie" in the library and causing mischief, and while there Tess imagines a T Rex coming out of one of the books she knocked over and causing plenty more mischief and mayhem in the library, including ripping books. For this, Tess punishes the dinosaur by putting ...more
Katherine Komazec
I enjoyed the story. It has the capability to teach young children many things. This book shows imagination, the journey's books take you on, and the importance of respect and following directions in a super colorful way to keep the audience interested.
Lynn
Since my son enjoys dinosaurs, we picked this book up for him at our local library. He really enjoyed this story and how the little girl in the book used her imagination to make the books come alive. He also enjoyed how she put the T.Rex back into the book. I understand the concern some of the critiques have mentioned about the child having a "time out" and being "left alone" in the children's section. However, I think what is more important is the fact that she uses her imagination to make the ...more
Casandra
I think this book is cute, but I tried reading it to the 1st grader that I tutor and I don't think he understood most of the text. he did seem to enjoy it though. 3 stars.
Sarah W
When Tess comes into the library, she is definitely not on her best behavior. Set on time out by her mom for her "beastie" behavior, Tess manages to knock over a pile of books and release a T. Rex from the bounds of a book. Now the dinosaur is tearing around the library, knocking over more books. Squid, knights and pirates join the chaos. When the dinosaur finally goes further on his rampage than even Tess can condone, she sets the huge reptile on a time out before putting him back inside a book ...more
The cute retro illustrations are wonderful, and I'm partial to stories about how books open up a world of imagination. Naughty young Tess's redeeming feature is that she ultimately loves books, and is willing to protect them from her alter-ego, the T. Rex. But the story doesn't fulfill its potential. For one thing, the plot failed my logic test -- what parent would discipline her "out of control" child by giving the child a time out in the library and walking away for 10 minutes ("I'll be back f ...more
Erin
This was just okay. It's an interesting mix of teaching kids how to act in the library with the wonders that you can find in the books. It doesn't work for me.
Leah Vermillion
The book has a lot of alliteration and repetition. It would be great for kids trying to master tongue twisters and how to form words correctly.
The Book Box
Daddy read this to me and my big brother this afternoon. I was too fussy to pay attention the whole time and Mama had to hold me.
Tema
I thought the bilingual attempt was too much, but the overall story is a fun little adventure for young children.
Tatiana
Another children's library book by Toni Buzzeo. It is not my favorite book by Toni who has written better picture books for kids regarding the library. You have a little girl who is loud and willful, and has a mother who shouts across the library that she's now in a time out. Reading that out loud to students, they may think that's acceptable behavior in the library. The illustrations are beautiful, and the girl has an active imagination, but watching her trounce the library made me wince. Pleas ...more
Carly
Dec 22, 2011 Carly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 3 and up.
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
No T. Rex in the Library is cute story about Tess, a little girl with an active imagination. After she is sent to time out for misbehaving in the library, Tess soon begins to imagine that she is riding through different sections of the library on the back of a destructive T. Rex. She admonishes the T. Rex to not knock over and rip up library books and soon sends him to time out for "beastie behavior." This is a fun book that can be used to introduce younger children to the different sections of ...more
good idea but needed some polishing for the rhyme scheme and overall story.
Heidi
I was not impressed. It felt that the text was trying to rhyme and very much not succeeding. The unattended child in timeout in a LIBRARY did not sit well with me in the least. (In case you haven't figured it out, librarians are NOT baby-sitters.) The adventures would have been fun, and the girl's attempts to keep the books taken care of would have been nice, but I was too distracted by the text and how it was laid out on the pages. Not the best book for me, but I'm sure some children will like ...more
Dolly
Jan 04, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fantastic tale of imagination and the many worlds that books can take you to. I like that it's set in a library and the author reinforces that you cannot be rough or loud or destructive to books. The shouting, wild actions and yelling is not appropriate for the library, but that can be discussed while reading the story. And our girls liked that Tess ends up being like her Mom, telling the T. Rex to take a time out when he acts beastly with the books.
The Library Lady
Why did I buy this?

It shows a kid young enough to be put in time out be left ALONE in the children's room.

It shows the child going amok--partly in her imagination, but partly I think for real--in that children's room.

In other words, this is a book that encourages the sort of behavior parents and nannies allow in the library already.

Feh..........
Lauren Brown
This is a cute book with English and Spanish text and has different fonts and sizes of text which keeps the book interesting to young readers. However, there is some advanced vocabulary which may cause young readers to struggle a little. Also, it would be very beneficial to provide to a young ESL student who is just learning English.
Kim
I surprised at how low the rating for this book was. It has it's problems (what some call a logic failure because the girl gets a timeout in the library) but there is a lot to like about this book. Lovely illustrations, "books come alive" theme, a dinosaur, and a light moral. Going to try it in a Dinosaur storytime.
Becky B
Tess gets a timeout in the library, but during timeout she opens a book and out climbs a T. Rex, who proceeds to wreak havoc all over the library and let loose all sorts of other characters from books.

Fun illustrations. Would be a good book to read with kids and have them try to predict what would happen next.
W.H. Beck
It is Tuesday morning in the library, and T. Rex is out of control! A little girl named Tess thinks T. Rex needs some time in time-out. But if angry pirates and charging knights are no match for T. Rex, can Tess return this wild dino to the pages of history?

(blurb from Goodreads.com)
  • The Big Storm: A Very Soggy Counting Book
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • The 3 Little Dassies
  • Sneaky Sheep
  • Mary had a little lamb
  • A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Pink Me Up
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
  • The Best Book to Read
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Oh No, Little Dragon!
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Dotty
One Cool Friend The Sea Chest Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book] Little Loon and Papa Lighthouse Christmas