Start by marking “The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)

The Conviction (David Sloane #5)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,134 ratings  ·  157 reviews
In this gripping, high-octane thriller by critically acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Robert Dugoni, a father takes the law into his own hands to save his son, trapped in a juvenile detention center from hell.

Lawyer David Sloane is desperate to get through to his troubled teenage son Jake. Still reeling from the devastating loss of his mother in a brutal murder
Published June 12th 2012 by Touchstone

Cheryl
David Sloane is having some issues with his step son, Jake. Sloane's friend, Tom Molina suggests that Sloane, Jake, Molina and his son, T.J. all get away for a guys weekend. Things go well until Jake and T.J. are arrested, tried and sentenced all by Judge Earl Boykin. Judge Boykin is a man not to be messed with.

Jake and T.J. have been sent to Fresh Start, a jevenile facility. Only the facility is more like a boot camp and the guards like to break down the children because they can. Sloane and M
Carl Alves
The premise of this novel is completely absurd. Lawyer David Sloane is on a camping trip with his troubled adopted son, Jake, along with his detective friend Tom Molia and his son. Jake, who has been in and out of trouble with the law breaks into a General Store, steals booze and a gun, and is later caught along with Molia’s son. Without any representation or even notifying their parents, they are convicted for long sentences in a boot-camp-style juvenile detention center.

There is nothing remote
Bill
Another top-notch thriller from Robert Dugoni. Just when you think nothing worse can happen to David Sloane, Dugoni turns up the heat again.

This time, Sloane and his stepson Jake head into the backwoods of Northern California for some father-son time. Sloane hopes he can find a way to connect with Jake, who's spiraling into more and more trouble, before it's too late. They are joining Sloane's old friend, detective Tom Molia (The Jury Master), and his son TJ. But Jake quickly finds a way to get
Jami
This was my first book by this author and I plan to read more. This was several into the David Sloane series, and my one complaint is minor; he introduces characters without really establishing the background and/or relationship to the main characters. There is a fine line between rehashing everything in prior books and giving enough info so a novice reader to the series can easily figure out who is who.

But despite that, it was a good mystery/thriller. There were a few twists I didn't see, and s
Rita Wanner
Page turner

This was one that is hard to put down. A real page Turner and now one of my favorite authors.
Patti Phillips
Top Seattle attorney, David Sloane, may be at home in the courtroom and able to outsmart his opponents, but he is out of his element when dealing with his troubled stepson.

Sloane’s wife has died and he has relinquished custody of his stepson to Jake’s biological father who lives in California, a move that has confused and angered Jake. “The Conviction” opens with Jake’s future at stake after he has been arrested for public intoxication (for the second time) and property damage. The judge decides
Karen
I went and got this second book from Dugoni, after I read My Sister's Grave. I actually enjoyed this book more than that one even though it was pretty good. Dugoni has a very crisp writing style which goes well with legal thrillers. In this book, his protagonist, David Sloane, is not involved in court. His 16-year stepson is acting out due to his mother's murder, so Sloane decides to take him on a Father-son camping outing with friends. They pick the wrong town to stop in before going to the woo ...more
Brent Burch
First book I've read by Robert Dugoni, and let me say I was not disappointed. It wasn't until I was halfway through the book before I found out that the main protagonist, David Sloan, is part of a series. That was ok though, because you can easily read it as a stand alone novel. The highest compliment you can give an author is to say you want to read more books by him/her, and that's just how I felt with this book.

Highly recommended.
librarianh20
The beginning of this had me very twitchy, as I thought the premise was outlandish and some of the descriptions, especially of Big Baby's nighttime incursions, didn't sit well with me (even though I don't consider myself squeamish). As the pace picked up, I got more involved with the story and the characters grew on me. BUT. That deus ex machina ending with all the undercover agents!To much.
deb
Wow! I don't usually expect to find a 5 star thriller on amazon unlimited. But this was outstanding. I am an avid reader of mysteries and am quick to point out the repeated plots, out of date technology, and expected events. Dugoni presented a never before plot of a teenage delinquent son incarcerated in a system that proves to be corrupt, which is only the beginning of the story. This was one of the few one session reads for me. I recommend it highly.

With all that said, I think I have begun to
Victoria Knight
Irritating

No offense, but I didn't even get halfway through this book. I know that the judicial system doesn't always go in our favor, but this is totally unrealistic.

All this was doing for me was irritating me. I'm sure that Robert Dugoni had a good story in mind, but to me I didn't think that it was very realistic or entertaining. I don't enjoy things that are way off, cussing, and sick, graphic details about a kid raping another kid, etc. I think that people can tell stories without a lower
Raven Oak
Ben
Good thriller with interesting characters and plot which held my interest right up to the end. Thankfully not too much legal claptrap, just enought to set the plot in motion and finalize it.
As one who lived in NE PA, near the counties involved iwhere judges were in cahoots ( an old but good word to define conspiracy) with private jails for kids who were sent up for relatively minor offenses that would have resulted in probation elsewhere, I can attest that the scenario of this book is drawn from
Juli Monroe
While not a bad book, it wasn't as good as prior books in the series, largely because it pulled out so many tropes it was completely predictable. The juvenile boot camp in this book reminded me of The Sunshine Home in The Talisman, except at least King/Straub's book had a werewolf. And only took up a tiny portion of the book.

It was obvious where the book was going. The "twists" were either predictable or laughable. However, I did read it all the way through, so I guess if Goodreads had half star
Paul Pessolano
“The Conviction” by Robert Dugoni, published by Touchstone Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

If you like a splendid mix of courtroom drama and action Robert Dugoni is your author. Although his books may be read in any sequence they are best read in order due to the fact that there is a common thread throughout his novels.

David Sloane’s wife has been murdered and his stepson Jake has witnessed it. David, thinking he was doing the right thing, gave custody of Jake to his biological father. Jake has
Luanne Ollivier
I picked up Robert Dugoni's debut novel The Jury Master back in 2006. I quite enjoyed it, but for some unknown reason, I hadn't read another of his books until I picked up his latest - The Conviction. (I know I've missed a lot of good reads in between.)

Lawyer David Sloane is Dugoni's recurring character. He's known as 'the lawyer who does not lose'. In the courtroom maybe, but in his personal life Sloane has suffered some losses. His partner Tina was brutally murdered - in front of her son Jake.
Sue
The Conviction by Robert Dugoni

Another top-notch thriller from Robert Dugoni. This is one of my favourite authors. When I saw that his new novel had come out, I had to get it. I was not disappointed.Just when you think nothing worse can happen to David Sloane, Dugoni turns up the heat again.

Ray Palen
What I enjoy best about the novels of Robert Dugoni is how they bring me back to the days when John Grisham and Scott Turow were writing top-notch legal thrillers that opened up the floodgates to a myriad of imitators. While Grisham and Turow still continue to write, their novels are not nearly as engaging or interesting a their early work and this has allowed the mantel to be firmly passed on to writers like Robert Dugoni.

THE CONVICTION is another novel in his Attorney David Sloane series and p
Mark
Troubled teen Jake has had a couple of brushes with the law since witnessing his mother’s brutal murder and ends up living with his step-father, attorney David Sloane, who is a high-profile lawyer branded as ‘the one who never loses.’ In an attempt to help the boy stay out of trouble they go camping, and are joined at the last moment by an old friend, detective Tom Molia, and his younger teen son TJ.
The boys bunk together the first night in a motel in the little town that will act as the spring-
Michael
Robert Dugoni deals with important issues with this book, rebellious teenagers, parental relationships with their children and the hold that drugs can have on a young person's life.

Jake Carter is scheduled to attend a substance abuse program. His step-father, successful attorney David Sloane doesn't know how to reach the boy and keep him out of jail.

David gets a call from his friend, Detective Tom Molia, inviting him and Jake to join Tom and his son, T.J. on a hiking and fishing vacation.

They r
Fran
Conviction
Author: Robert Dugoni

Abandonment takes many different forms and can be defined in many ways. Although some think they are there when others need them in reality they are not. Young people perceive the world in their own way and adults do not often grasp their problems, see through their pain or understand their defeats and what causes them. Some act out by using drugs where others become defiant and use alcohol as a way of escaping reality. But, when a young boy sees his mother gun dow
Carol  MacInnis
Lawyer David Sloane lost his wife to a horrific murder as his stepson watched on. Later, David decided that since his stepson, Jake just lost his mother, that he relinquish his custody of Jake and hand him over to his biological father, Frank Carter without so much as a yay or nay from Jake himself. Now Jake, at sixteen years old, has been in trouble with the law more than once and is very close to spending time in jail. Therefore it is decided that Jake go back to residing with David. But with ...more
Cristy
I picked up this book on a whim at my local library (happens a lot), but for some reason, it just didn't catch my interest. I'm well aware of the real-life judges in cahoots with juvenile facilities resulting in untold teenagers (and barely teens) given egregious sentences for minor offenses, so perhaps I was hoping for something a bit more social commentary and less genre?

I was more interested in the concept of a privately-owned town with a private police and judicial system. I'm sure the auth
Dan Dobler
A Masterpiece!

I was so uncomfortable with the beginning of this book that I had to tell my wife about it. The injustice, abuse of minors, abuse of power, etc. so enraged me that I had to step back and laugh at the brilliance of the writing. I started and finished this book in one day. I have become a Dugoni fan because of this book. The character development along with the interwoven threads of plot was absolutely perfect. This is a great read!!
Matt
Dugoni presents another sensational read in his latest book. The Conviction takes us away from the usual courtroom drama and into the backwoods of California. Dugoni's action and character development do not take a vacation in this novel and the reader can expect an interesting look into boot camps, corrupt legal experts, and illegal activities. I could not put it down after beginning.

While I am used to courtroom antics presented by Dugoni, this was a great break, but full of the same intrigue.
Beth
If you like thrillers, you'll love this one. THE CONVICTION by Robert Dugoni is a bring-to-the-dinner-table, stay-up-late, can't-put-it-down thriller. If you haven't read a Dugoni book and are hesitant to read this for that reason, throw your caution out the window. This will make you want to read his other books.

Every time I got to a part in this book that seemed to be a place where Dugoni wrote himself into an unanswerable question or a corny incident, he writes himself out of it by coming up
Sue
Though I thought some of the plot was a little too neat (superficial, implausible), it was an entertaining story. I felt the characters were nicely developed, and there were some twists and turns that made me wonder how the author was going to get the characters out of that particular mess. The results were unexpected (if, again, too neat).

This book was an Amazon Daily Deal special (along with its Audible companion), and I didn't feel my money or my time listening was wasted.
Lori Mchugh
I really enjoyed this one and had a hard time putting it down. I love the David Sloane character and really hope there will be more of him in the future. As for the people who said they did not read it because it seemed far-fetched, it is fiction to begin with but Mr Dugoni says in his acknowledgments to google "jailing kids for cash". It kept me entertained and I am looking forward to reading another Robert Dugoni book soon.
Paula
In my opinion, it is time for the critics to stop comparing Robert Dugoni to John Grisham and crown Dugoni the king of legal thrillers.

In his new book, The Conviction, lawyer David Sloane wants to reach out to his troubled son, Jake. When his old friend, detective Tom Molia, suggests David and Jake join him on a father-son camping trip in California’s gold country, they never suspect their sons would get caught up in a corrupt judicial system. With all their legal options exhausted, Sloane, the
Chris Coffman
This is the first book I have read by Mr Dugoni. The premise is considered current events. Today in America, the prison system is being bought by corporations, and while incarcerated, inmates are the cheap labor for these corporations.
The book was well researched and touches upon how corrupt a 'private' run prison/juvenile detention centers can be dangerous for our society. Take the time and read, I don't think you will be disappointed. Kisses.
  • Night Blind (Blake Sanders, #1)
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • The Viper
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • Hunt the Wolf (Seal Team Six, #1)
  • The Art of Breaking Glass
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
  • The Survivor
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL, #4)
  • Oath of Office (Dr. Lou Welcome, #1)
  • Hard Knocks
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author of My Sister's Grave and The David Sloane Series. He has published 8 novels, an expose, The Cyanide Canary, and the short prequel The Academy.
Robert was born in Pocatello, Idaho and raised in Burlingame, California. Growing up the middle child in a family of ten siblings, Dugoni jokes that he didn't get much of a chance to talk,
More about Robert Dugoni...

David Sloane (5 books)
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3)
  • Murder One (David Sloane, #4)
My Sister's Grave The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1) Damage Control Murder One (David Sloane, #4) Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)

“It takes a lifetime to build a life. It only takes a second to ruin it.” 0 likes