Start by marking “Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)

Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan #7)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Published July 31st 2012 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Gods

Christopher
This book was tough to review because I honestly like half of the story. That, however, was the problem; there were two distinct and completely unrelated stories.

Important disclaimer first: If have not read previous books in the Star Trek Titan series or in expanded Star trek Universe, this book will absolutely make no sense to you.

Did I scare everyone off? Ok then. Fallen Gods, as previously mentioned, is two distinct stories - a ship-side story and a scary alien planet story. The ship in the
John Carter McKnight
I was torn between 2 and 3 stars, and finally decided that, though it wasn't what I wanted, it was a solid example of what it is. I haven't been reading any of the Trek ship series: I returned to the books for the Typhon Pact storyline, and picked up this one as a crossover.

Fallen Gods reads like an episode of TOS or TNG. Which, if that's what you're looking for, is great. I came for an ongoing storyline of galactic-political intrigue, and felt all the way through like I was reading something I'
Dan
Fallen Gods is not a terrible novel. It's just kind of... there. The prose is bland, and the story is not terribly engrossing. There are some positives in the novel: for example, Tuvok's reaction to the loss of the eco-sculpting knowledge from the previous novel was very interesting, and I would have loved to have the author explore that idea a little more.

Fallen Gods seems to retread a lot of ground previously covered in other novels. Nothing really happens to advance the characters all that mu
Barry
A planet and civilisation under threat from a pulsar where the ship's engine makes it worse, a former friendly race with a very naughty plan, and a general continuation of the themes from the last few Titan novels (artificial intelligence, and an ancient species that have left their technology throughout a region of unexplored space) combine with the ongoing Typhon Pact saga in a challenging and barely fulfilling story... if you can get to the end, then a flicker of light will reward you. But go ...more
Paul Lunger
If there has been any series of books that has rarely missed lately, it's been the Titan series which has tried to become TNG in it's own right, but for the first time in a while with "Fallen Gods" we have a story that really leaves you almost what did we really do here. In this installment, the Titan continues its exploration of the Gum Nebula with its sights set on a world near the Vela Pulsar & a civilization called the Ta'ith who really aren't all that well fleshed out. Martin's story al ...more
Matt Randall
This wasn't the best Titan novel. What was, to me, the most interesting part of the novel was the Andorian situation (Starfleet ordering the Andorian officers off the Titan and to posts that were less classified) was given very little attention until the end, and just when it was getting good, the book ended! Obviously it will be picked up in later novels, which I'm looking forward to.

Part of what made this book not work for me were the chapters done from the POV of the alien. They just weren't
Cameron James
This Titan novel is both a continuation of the Titan series, as well as a continuation of the Typhon Pact storyline. I have to say that I found this novel to be more enjoyable than I had expected it to be. On the whole, I have not been too thrilled with the Titan series, nor with the Typhon Pact series. I sometimes think they both lack the punch that a series like Voyager or Deep Space Nine has.

However, Martin pens an interesting tale here. Titan needs to get closer to the planet, but their pres
Larry Mills
This is a story that pits stereotypical logical,rational scientists against illiterate,uneducated, and violent religionists and does so with some of the most purple prose I have ever read.
An example...
"Behind the lengthening shadows of the ancient Whetu'irawaru ruins that stretched beyond the horizon, the cruel day slid inexorably toward the unsatisfying surcease of another encroaching evening. As night approached, the restive impatience of the Thousand slowly transformed from a formless, inchoa
Bridget Petrella
Though the United Federation of Planets still reels from Andor’s political decision that will forever affect the coalition, Captain William T. Riker and the crew of the U.S.S. Titan are carrying out Starfleet’s renewed commitment to deep space exploration. While continuing to search the Beta Quadrant’s unknown expanses for an ancient civilization’s long-lost quick-terraforming technology— a potential boon to many Borg-ravaged worlds across the Federation and beyond— Titan’s science specialists e ...more
Wayland Smith
The continuing voyages of the USS Titan, Will Riker's command after leaving the Enterprise, take them into unexplored space. This series focuses on exploration, something other Trek series touch on but then end up veering away from.

Fallen Gods ties in closely to the previous book in the series, so at least read that one first. Personally, I tend to recommend reading series in order, but that's me.

This is enjoyable fun for sci fi fans, Trek fans, and general adventure lovers. Light, fun, reading
John Christensen
This started out as a pretty good star trek plot - an equal amounts of exploration and political puzzler. And if they had stuck to that, it might have been a good read.

Unfortunately, they did not. The political issues was then complicated by new elements whom seemed to not affect the outcome of the book, except in a way that may or may not get taken up in a future book (or just dropped entirely). The political problem was, in fact, sold by a macguffin that no one was able to even guess at until
Matthew Bowers
Weird and dumb. Doesn't really resolve the "A" storyline satisfactorily, and the "B" storyline winds up in a bizarre, problematic place that I'm not really sure where they're going with. Martin on his own is more readable than the Martin/Mangels duo, but that's not saying much.
Glenn Crouch
On the whole, I have enjoyed following Riker and Troi in the voyages of the Starship Titan. This book continues the threads from previous novels, as well as what is happening in the Titan Pact novels.

I would probably give it 3.5 if half stars were permitted :)

Whilst the overall story was good, and I don't mind that we are left with some questions for later books, I did think it became a little disjointed from the middle to near the end - and then "rushed" to close.

I had deduced what was going on
Michael
This was well written. I love the crew of the Titan and Riker as Captain. This story drew on a lot of Trek lore, and handled the changing status of the Andorians very well. With so many plot threads left dangling until the end, I wondered what the big twist was going to be. There was a clue but I didn't guess it until the end. So well done. I have never been a fan of the chapters that focus on the alien race and all the unpronounceable names, but this was tolerable and paid off in the end, under ...more
Francisco J.
So far this book has stayed true to the characters and storyline of the accepted Star Trek cannon. Some of the reviews are too harsh, and those that have made them need to make a more objective analysis of the book. I think that they aren't sure of what they want, so they attack anything that doesn't live up to their ridicously- high standards. I finally finished the book, and it was good enough to keep me entertained. Isn't that the whole reason behind a book, to keep us entertained? LOL.
Sean
While this was better than the last Titan novel (Seize the Fire), it still wasn't good. Though that being said, it wasn't bad either. It didn't make much of an impression on me to be honest. The characters seem like they're in stasis, and seem very one-note because of it. I disliked the Andorian plot, which felt very cartoony (in a bad villain kind of way). Overall, I don't feel like it added anything to the story of the Titan.
Jon II
Overall, I liked the story, but it leaves many unanswered questions. But the epilogue was nice and creepy. I also wish there was a pronunciation guide for the alien names and terms.

On a more technical note, this was rife with typos. To any editor out there who thinks typos go unnoticed, they do. And they reflect badly on the entire company.
Janet Bullock
Great book in the Titan Series. The author dies a good job of tying all the books together, so the reader can read each book as an individual book without getting lost in the progress of the series as a whole. This story tied in with the continuing saga of the Typhon Pact novels, also.
Miket01
Not up to Mr. Martin's usual standards. Some interesting ideas, but the book felt like all set up until the main plot resolved itself in a fairly perfunctory manner. The secondary plot didn't resolve itself at all, presumably to be picked up in later books.

Terry
Best of the newer SNG novels by far. I usually don't venture into the post-Star Trek universe anymore.The plot is interesting and the dialog is better than most novels written by the hack writers delegated to making more money for the Paramount people.
Gary Martin
I did like this book but I did feel that it was split into two very separate plots with very little interaction between them. The character development was limited to a character that didn't have that great a role in this and previous books.
Peter Wilson
The book started slow, and for the most part dragged on and it was a real struggle to finish but towards the end it picked up that's why it's got 2 stars instead of 1
Jon Johnson
It was fantastic to geek-out and read a new Star Trek book!!!! It is full of action and has a wonderful/scary/thrilling/can't wait until the next book ending!!!!
Benjamin Plume
This one was pretty good, with a different take on shared consciousness than the Borg or really any other previous Star Trek work.
Jeanna
Jeanna marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Mile
Mile marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Travis Young
Travis Young marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Star Trek Reads: Fallen Gods 1 12 Nov 25, 2012 10:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: Fallen Fixes 5 32 Aug 04, 2012 08:10PM
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #4)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1) Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2) Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3) Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12) The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing (Star Trek: Enterprise #13)