Itsy Mitsy Runs Away

Itsy Mitsy Runs Away

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Itsy Mitsy has had quite enough of bedtime. So tonight she’s running away to the perfect place, where there are no more bedtimes ever (not even one). But running away isn’t as easy as it seems. There’s a lot to pack: Mitsy’s friendliest dinosaur, Mister Roar; a snack for Mister Roar; Mitsy’s dog, Pupcake (to keep the bedtim...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Melissa
OK, yes, the illustrations are really assured, and I love the color, and even the curlicues all around Mitsy's speech bubbles. And yes, the single dad is great.

Four things: the House-that-Jack-Built parts don't really rhyme or scan, though it's clear they're supposed to be set aside from the rest of the text; I am suspicious of books for children that make jokes at the child character's expense (ie, we know the dad isn't REALLY helping); parents who taunt their children--no matter how unflappab...more
J.F.
Itsy Mitsy is the CUTEST storybook child ever drawn. If CindyLou Who and Max,King of All Wild Things grew up and had a child together- Itsy Mitsy would be her.

This palm-sized, dinosaur-costumed, rebel has decided that bedtime is NOT for her and that she must run away. However, her broken-hearted father can't bear to let her go without at least helping her pack! She needs all the right gear to protect her from the Bedtime Beasties! (These Beasties look very similar to some well-known monsters th...more
Tasha
Itsy Mitsy is a little girl who hates bedtime. So much that she decides to run away. Her Dad reminds her that she will need to pack, starting with a friend to make sure she’s not alone. Mitsy packs her toy dinosaur, Mister Roar. Then Dad reminds Mitsy that she will need food for her dinosaur. So she packs a snack for him. Dad remarks that Mister Roar is not the only one who likes bananas, in fact they could attract the Bedtime Beasties! So Mitsy packs Puptart, her ferocious toy dog. She packs a...more
Dornel Cerro

Itsy Mitsy is a spunky little girl “who really, really, for real (I‘m not even joking) …” does not like bedtime. When she decides to run away, her clever dad reminds her of all the things she’ll need. First her suitcase and then her wagon are overflowing with all the paraphernalia of childhood. How’s she going to light the lamp to keep away the beasties? Large, colorful and humorous illustrations against pale backgrounds bring focus to the characters and a ghostliness to the beasties. Using a Ho...more
Aiyana
Another favorite of E., 4 years old, who also doesn't like bedtime. The book is the adorably illustrated tale of a little girl who decides to run away from bedtime... and ends up packing up her entire life to take with her! I think the story-telling might be a little hard for a young child to follow, but the building repetitions (in the style of "the house that Jack built") create a great momentum, and the entire thing is full of wonderful child-logic that will amuse any parent!
Christen
Itsy Mitsy does not like bedtime. So, she decides to run away – and her father helps her pack! He humorously reminds her of the things she will need, until she’s packed him right up with the house. Her stuffed animals and toys take on a life of their own, crawling out of her suitcase and wagon, spinning a larger than life cumulative tale that is a delight to read over again. Colorful illustrations humorously embellish the tale as the tiny girl carries away piles of items that are twice her size...more
Christen
Tam
Hailee
I loved this picture book! The illustrations are darling and the premise is one that is familiar to so many children. I remember my mom helping me pack my pink plastic suitcase after I declared I was running away because I didn't want to clean my room. Even with such a familiar topic, the book still remained fresh and equally hartwarming (while still being quite funny)! I especially loved the opening pages: "Have you met Itsy Mitsy? She's a little girl who really, really, for real (I'm not even...more
Sarah Stumphf
Cute little story about a little girl who runs away, but keeps remembering things that she needs to take with her.
Tabatha
I loved this book. The illustrations are fantastic and the story is great. It was hard to keep the toddlers paying attention, not enough drama for them perhaps, but the large blocked text on some pages of the story really got them excited again after a lull of plot. The repetition of supplies, with adding things she brings each time, really reminded me of a Dr. Seuss book, so it was great for Narrative Skills, but parts of the book were hard to read to the toddlers. I would use this book again,...more
Joy
This book is absolutely charming. Itsy Mitsy is a very determined little girl- determined not to go to bed and she will even run away to avoid it. Fortunately, Itsy Mitsy has a clever, loving father who makes sure she has everything she needs to run away, especially himself. I loved the adorable illustrations and the fun, repetitive text, and I loved her friendliest dinosaur, Mister Roar. My daughter enjoyed this story and asked to read it again and again which I think is the highest compliment...more
Mary N
It's a cute story of a little (preschool) girl who uses her imagination during bedtime. Because Mitsy doesn't like bedtime, she tells her daddy that she is running away and, with daddy's help, she imagines herself packing all the things she will need during her time away from home - until she falls asleep. Some parts of the story remind a little of the "Where the Wild Things Are". The problem that I have with this story is that I just can't imagine a little preschooler saying "I am running away"...more
The Library Lady
The crafty parent who loads the "I'm running away" kid with so much luggage that they can't go anywhere has been done many, many times before--I recall it from one of the "Ramona" books among other places. This is cute enough--perhaps even a little TOO cute. I am trying to figure out who Mitsy resembles so strongly--I am thinking some animated cartoon of the past--but I found her a little TOO adorable for my saccharine meter to tolerate her. This will have a fan club, but I'm not really a member...more
Yasi
Yasi added it
Jul 05, 2014
Elisabeth
Oh my - this might be my favorite book of the year so far! It is definitely my favorite cumulative story after the Napping House. An energetic, nimble story with such likable characters (Itsy Mitsy and her dad make a good team). Cute, but not cutesy. I LOVE the line drawings throughout and I love the color palette. It is obvious (in a good way) that she studied animation. I can't think anything that I don't love about this book!
Tif
This book first caught my attention because the little heroine reminded me of a pint-sized Clara from The Guild. But it truly happened to be a very cute and hilarious story of a girl who tried to run away to avoid bedtimes with the aid of her father. The first page alone made me burst out laughing.
Jessica
Appeal Characteristics: stylistic art, lovable little plushies, Dad, and Mitsy.

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I hope that if I have a rambunctious child like
Mitsy...I'm as smart as her dad. I loved the little plushies expressions (as well as Mitsy trying to avoid the invetiable!) I liked how the dad outsmarted her...and the fact Mitsy can pack everything she needs in her little station wagon!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool - Kindergarten
Humor: Absurdity (not for literal or young children)

This little tyke sure doesn't want to sleep, even if it means running away. But on the way out the door, her dad helps her pack so that she is ready for whatever adventure lies ahead.

I love the artwork and colors, but the random use of cumulative storytelling was a little jarring.
melanie (lit*chick)
This is the first non-board book Evie has embraced. She calls it "little run" and brings it to me for "sit and read". Love the illustrations (especially the imaginary beasties), love the story, could probably do without the trying to pull the outlet off the wall part....we don't need any extra encouragement around here. Fun and sweet.
Maria
Itsy Mitsy is determined to run away. Her father is very supportive and keeps reminding her of all the things that she will need to pack before she runs away.

Why I started it: Great reviews from the librarian literature.

Why I finished it: Darling illustrations! I can't wait to share it with my story time kids.
Susan
I felt that Mitsy's over-the-top reactions (why get a flashlight when the living room lamp is right there?) really represented the way a small child might think. I didn't like the House that Jack Built rhyme scheme starting up in the middle of the story. I did like the illustrations.
Jenilyn Braden
This book was really cute. I really enjoyed the styling of the illustrations and all of the detail. It had a good message that there are some things you just can't run away from (such as bedtime in the book) and even if you don't like them, they may be good for you in the end.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
You can have a lot of fun around the "I'm not going to bed" theme and Allen does just that with Itsy Mitsy Runs Away. With a twist on "The House Jack Built" style repetitive lines, children will enjoy all of the things Mitsy must do before she can "run away".
Nicole
Cute story about a child avoiding bedtime. I loved how the language "built" across the pages, adding and reiterating each item she was packing to take with her as she "runs away"...in the same way you get language building in stories like "There was an old woman..."
Dolly
Dec 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Entertaining cumulative story about a little girl who just doesn't want to go to bed and decides to run away instead. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the pencil/digitally colored illustrations are adorable. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Karen
Can't seem to decide what it wants to be: tale of a cute stubborn girl, cumulative rhyme, or both. And the section depicting Mitsy trying to pull the plug from the wall????? What was the author thinking?
M.
This is a great story for anyone who ever decided that they hate bedtime or wanted to run away. I hope I remember to help my kids pack when they decide to run away. The illustrations are equally adorable.
Brenna Call
Such a cute story. I love the interaction between the father and daughter in this funny story. I also really liked the illustrations. The little girl was so cute!
Lauren
So cute and fun to read. Both my children and their friends love to read this over and over and over again. Love watching my 5 year old read it to his little sister.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • George Flies South
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • Over at the Castle
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • The Insomniacs
Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1) Eva and Sadie and the Worst Haircut EVER! Violet Mackerel's Outside-the-Box Set: Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot, Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery, Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat, Violet Mackerel's Personal Space Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3) Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)