Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)

Torn (Reilly Steel #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Read the clues. Decode the science. Reveal the murderer.That's Reilly Steel's mantra. Find the answers, solve the crime. But the Quantico-trained forensic investigator is finding her skills aren't enough when a ferociously intelligent killer strikes Dublin.

The modus operandi is as perplexing as it is macabre. What connects the two seemingly disparate, high-profile victims?...more
Published September 13th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Torn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torn

Georgie
A good follow up to 'Taboo', with a creepy, smart killer, a seemingly unrelated series of shocking and brutal deaths, and some cool forensic stuff. Reilly Steel is an interesting character who is smart and attractive but not perfect, and she refreshingly lacks the bitchy attitude a lot of writers seem to attribute to women working in or with the police - she's tough but she doesn't feel the need to 'prove' herself or bust the balls of the men around her (instead she deals with the difficult ones...more
Marleen
Reilly Steel, Quantico-trained forensic investigator working for the Garda Forensic Unit in Dublin, is very experienced at what she does and thinks she’s seen it all. But even she raises a few eye-brows when she finds herself face to face with the remains of a journalist, found in his own sceptic tank where he has apparently been left to drown “in his own shit”.
The crime-scene offers little or no clues for the investigation and a look at the journalist’s personal and professional life by Detect...more
Jo Ann Reinhold
This series keeps getting better!
In this book the killer is using Dante's Inferno as his playbook for his form of justice!
This investigation cuts close to home for one of the detectives and is faced with a moral dilemma, his job is to stop the killer, his feelings are a different story.
I can't wait to read the next book ans see where Casey Hill takes these complicated and enjoyable characters!
C. Erani Kole
This is 3 stars for me, but I gave it another just because of the murder scenes. The plot and theme that the Punisher chose was extremely interesting! And the description- amazing.

Aside from the scenes, it's 3 stars because in the middle, it got very boring. The details and dialogue of the story were repetitive with the first book. It just didn't hold my attention like the first one did, and I think it's because the murders weren't as involved with the main characters as like with Taboo.

I would...more
Criticalmick
With gore and forensics enough to delight readers who love the CSI-style crime thriller, Casey Hill's Torn removes the genre far from that wearisome old hack Patricia Cornball's stomping grounds- delivering a solid mystery set in Dublin, Ireland.

Potted plot: former FBI surfer chick Reilly Steel uses her scientific-know how, pure determination, fancy gadgets and superhuman sense of smell to track down a baddie called The Punisher before can cover all of post-recessionary Dublin in bizarre corpse...more
Lainy
Time taken to read - 2 days

Publisher - Simon & Schuster

Blurb From Goodreads

Read the clues. Decode the science. Reveal the murderer.

Their corpses refuse to give up their secrets...more
Rowan
Strange that my Kindle copy is titled Inferno - A CSI Reilly Steel Thriller not Torn.

This would be a great read except for all the typos and extraneous symbols in the Kindle Edition. The story is tight and kept my interest all the way. The Hills just needs to hire a good proofreader and they will be set to go. I look forward to the next installment of the CSI Reilly Steel adventures.
Sheila
Reilly is a forensics expert from San Francisco to his head of a until based In Dublin, Ireland. When a serial killer is on the loose killing seemingly unlinked people it is Reilly's team that is tasked to stop the killer nicknamed The Punisher. I think I liked this one even better than the first - Taboo. It helped that it was a buddy read with my friend Betsy too.
Trish
Well, what can I say. It's a detective book.

We find Reilly investigating a series of curious crimes. Pieces of the puzzle lie sporadically about. Throw in, a very minimal, personal dilemma that I felt was just thrown in to lengthen the book. Of course, a will they/won't they mixture between her an Chris.

In my opinion, a very mediocre book.
Ruth
Forensic Investigator Reilly Steel, Chris and Kennedy with aide of a profiler investigate various bizarre murder scenes inspired by Dante's circles of hell. The ebook I read was entitled Inferno so there was little mystery to the staging but I wasn't able to discover whodunit. Still a goodread. Like the characters.
Pat
Interesting premise although all the clues were there so I deduced many of the outcomes before they were revealed. Is that another way of saying it was a little predictable?
Reilly Steel is back in the second book in the series. She is called to a crime scene where a man is found dead in the septic tank in his back garden. He was a journalist who didn't make many friends with his articles but there seem to be no obvious suspects. Soon after another body is found. The murder was clearly just as horrific but it was completely different. Reilly has to work out whether they are committed by the same killer or is it someone different.

I loved the first book in the series...more
Sean Peters
Reilly Steel is back in the second book in the series, but the first one that I have read. She is called to a crime scene where a man is found dead in the septic tank in his back garden, starts off the way it continues with the whole book.

My first reading from this married couple Casey Hill.

It's like reading 2-3 episodes of CSI, with some gruesome reading, with the added relationships.

This book keeps at a fast pace, as you get to know the characters alongside Reilly Steel, heart pounding stuff...more
Elizabeth Johnson
Really happy I came across this author.
Marilyn Groves
another solid entry in the CSI Reilly series. This serial killer is very clever, but faces our Irish team. Some new characters, some surprises, all together quite an enjoyable read (if you don't mind graphic crime scenes....)

Darn - appears to only be 3 books released in this series. Putting #3 in my 'get' list!

Vinca Russell
This is a somewhat disappointing follow-up to the first Reilly Steel book, which I enjoyed. The prose could do with some serious editing as it is very clumsy in places. The plot was ok, but predictable and although I finished it I won't be in a rush to read the next one.
Amira
awesome book, the plot twisting is natural and I have the need to keep a dictionary handy for all the new vocab I learned.
Jan
This is the second in the Reilly Steel series and was a very easy enjoyable read, the characters are easy to identify with and like and although the murders are gruesome they werent told in gruesome detail. I also like the fact that their set in Ireland so I can easily picture the places in my head and the mention of rural drogheda made me laugh as it is my home town.
Betsy
Inferno (also known as Torn) is the second book in Casey Hill's CSI Reilly Steel series. This is fast becoming one of my favorite series. I love the characters. The writing is exceptional. I really enjoy the forensic aspect as well. My buddy Sheila and I read this one as well as Taboo together. I am glad she hooked me up with this series. 5 stars
Rowland Heys
Found the first 100 pages to be abit boring.
Aaron
Started and finished the book the very day it came out, I was totally hooked. Some crime/forensic novels have a habit of over-balancing either the crime aspect or personal aspects (focusing on characters etc) but Torn, and Casey Hill in general, manage to find the right balance of forensics and personal issues coupled with brilliant storytelling.
Julie
Reilly Steel is back chasing down another serial killer. It was ok, the murders were quite grim and I enjoyed the beginning more when I didn't know who did it. It was a a bit annoying to be told who did it half way through, I like to guess for myself. At least the villian didn't attack the forensic investigator - that just annoys me.
Marie Jermy
After a slow start, this book started to get interesting and had me hooked to the end. I didn't like the character Reuben Knight, though. He was a stuck-up git, who I thought didn't really need to be in the story. Also, sometimes, I got a bit lost with the switch in POV, but got used to it about half way in. A good who-dunnit.
Gilly
Very weak...

Whoever wrote 'this electrifying new thriller for fans of Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell' should be drowned in a septic tank....

Reilly Steel?? Really??? Probably named for the sole purpose of providing the reader with such gems as 'Steel by name, steel by nature.'

Urrghhh......
Black Butterfly
Jan 06, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
WHEN I READ WHAT THIS BOOK WAS ABOUT I THOUGHT, MY KIND OF READ. I WAS WRONG, JUST COULDN'T GET INTO IT. I STRUGGLED TO COMPLETE IT, I FOUND IT BORING AND TOO TALKY. I THOUGTH IT WOULD BE EXCITING BUT IT WAS NOT TO ME. I KEPT WAITING FOR IT TO PICK UP, JUST DIDN'T. ;<
Lisa
A killer killing people in the order of Hell in Dante's Inferno. Even though the plot is completely different from Dan Brown's Inferno, THIS was a good book. I enjoy these books a lot, and I am about to begin the third book in the Reilly Steel series.
Naf Brady
The killings from this book is by far more gruesome than the previous but in terms of overall storyline, the start was so so and again the ending ended abruptly. I just don't feel the satisfaction. Other than that good book to just have a cup of tea with..
Lisa Rush

Really enjoyed this book and enjoyed the main character Reilly Steele. Plenty of twists and turns and i could not put it down kept me guessing until near the end. I have now purchased the first book Taboo by Casey Hill to read.
  • Touch
  • The Killing Room
  • Impeding Justice  (A Lorne Simpkins Thriller, #2)
  • The Woman In Black (Jessica Daniel, #3)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Death Mask (Dr. Anya Crichton, #5)
  • You Are Next
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • Hushabye (Kate Redman Mysteries, #1)
  • Cold Killing (D.I. Sean Corrigan #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • A Deadly Affection
  • The Heretics (John Shakespeare, #5)
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
  • The Inquiry Agent
  • All for You
Taboo (CSI Reilly Steel, #1) Hidden (CSI Reilly Steel, #3) The Watched (CSI Reilly Steel, #4) CSI Reilly Steel 3 Book Boxset Taboo (CSI Reilly Steel, #1 - Preview)