Start by marking “City of Fiends” as Want to Read:
City of Fiends

City of Fiends (Knights Templar #31)

The thrilling new novel from historical master, Michael Jecks.

It's 1327 and England is in turmoil. King Edward II has been removed from the throne and his son installed in his place. The old man's rule had proved a disaster for the realm and many hope that his removal may mean the return of peace to England's cities.

Keeper of the King's Peace Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and
Published June 7th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about City of Fiends, please sign up.

Paul Some in the series (I have all of them as well as other works by Jecks), e.g. the prequel recently released, can be read as stand alone. That said, it…moreSome in the series (I have all of them as well as other works by Jecks), e.g. the prequel recently released, can be read as stand alone. That said, it is, in my opinion, best to savor the flow by reading them in sequence, I first read one title by accident some years back and was so impressed that I hunted down the first one as a 'used' book' (which doesn't benefit the author; there are some vendors who buy books new and then sell them later on at profit to themselves while the author tries to keep food on the table). The great thing about Jeck's series is that his new publisher, Simon & Schuster UK bought up rights and began republishing earlier titles and his former publisher has done the same. You can get paper or e-books of the entire series now, not getting ripped off by a 'used vendor,' and helping keep the author writing (food on the table). IMHO, you would want to keep Michael Jecks writing. He has a number of short stories published, has contributed to multi-author series, has a new series which relate to the 100 Year War (planned as a trilogy with one in print and one soon to be), an e-book format modern 'spy thriller' (Act of Vengeance), etc. No, I don't work for Michael. I just love his writing and therefore want to be supportive. You can find him on Facebook, he has some really interesting videos on You Tube, and great web site (I mention Twitter for those who like it) and a blog called writerlywitterings. Here is his web site URL - This is one Facebook site - and this is the blog - Thought I might as well add a link to You Tube - BTW, the one thing about Jecks is that his historical research is done in 'primary sources' not second or third. He is meticulous in that and then, as has been said, "weaves a plausible story in the historical matrix."(less)

Manda Scott
Aug 09, 2012 Manda Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was busy signing copies of the latest paperback in an independent bookshop a week or three ago, when a woman came up and asked if I knew Michael Jecks. Happily, I could say that I did, which was just as well because the next 5 minutes were taken up singing his praises...
And well deserved it was. Mike Jecks has been described by no less an authority than Scotland on Sunday as 'A National Treasure'; rather like Andrew Taylor, another excellent writer who bridges the genres of crime and history,
Michael Connery
Michael Jecks’s “City of Fiends" is one of the latest in his longstanding Knights Templar series. A classic whodunit murder mystery with the added intrigue of a fourteenth century England setting, the story revolves around Jecks’s crime-solving duo: former Knight Templar and Keeper of the King’s Peace, Sir Baldwin, and his bailiff and friend, Puttock.

In the thirty-plus books in the series, Baldwin and Puttock have aged, but neither have lost their knack and dedication in solving mysteries. The
Fredrick Danysh
It is 1327 and a child king is on the throne of England while his father has been forced to abdicate the throne and is imprisoned. Marauders roam the land in the name of one of the forces competing for the crown. A bishop is murdered. In Exeter women are being murdered. The former Templar knight, Sir Baldwin, is tasked with solving these crimes despite his age and infirmities. A good Medieval read.
Steven McKay
Jun 22, 2013 Steven McKay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read one of Michael Jecks' books for a few years, but picked this up as I had greatly enjoyed his earlier ones. I wasn't disappointed - Michael has a great knack of describing a scene without ever being long winded. Everything is to-the-point and it makes for a story that flows along fluidly and entertainingly without ever feeling like a chore to read. It's the type of book you can pick up and put down at a whim, if you like, but you'll more often than not find yourself enjoying it so m ...more
Aug 15, 2012 patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
City of Fiends is the next chapter in the tale of Sir Baldwin and his friend Simon Puttock. Michael Jecks is a great author. England of 1327 is portrayed probably like it was. You see how the justice system of the times worked, how brutal it could be. Once more Baldwin and Simon are looking into murders. This time they are on their way home and are in Exeter. Not only are there two townspeople murdered but there is a murderous gang on the loose on their way to Exter. They has killed and robbed m ...more
Tracy Enright
Oct 04, 2013 Tracy Enright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 31st Knights Templar novel and is set in a time when Edward II has been deposed in favour of his son. Baldwin de Furnshill and Simon Puttock have been charged with guarding the old king but he escapes with the help of loyal supporters and they are left to take the urgent news to Exeter.

True to form they ride right into a crisis – a young servant has been murdered. Shortly after another woman is gruesomely slaughtered. At the centre of the plot is a dysfunctional family with dark secr
Oct 09, 2012 happy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel this is one of Mr. Jecks better efforts.

While as in the last few entries in the series, Mr. Jecks weaves both a local murder and one with serious political overtones, I feel in this entry he does a much better job of weaving the two together.

This novel is set in Exeter at the time right after Edward II's escape from Berkley Castle and incorporates the probable murder of the Bishop of Exeter, the successor to Bishop Stapleton who we came to know in many previous volumes, along with the mur
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
For my latest title I've returned to Exeter with Simon and Baldwin. This was a terrible time for the Cathedral. Just as the King was forced from his throne, and the realm was thrown into turmoil, Bishop Walter was murdered in London. After a little while, Bishop James was brought to the See, but he suddenly died - and I have shown how.

But the story revolves around four families in a small lane in Exeter. One a rich merchant's family with pretensions to nobility, a widow with her two boys fighti
Richard Stueber
It's 1327 in Exeter, England. Once again Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and Simon Puttock are called upon to investigate murders. Along this time is their old pal Sir Richard de Welles. Strangely the chief villain this time is Baldwin and Simon's former companion Sir Charles of Lancaster. Charles is a supporter of the deposed King Edward II and is committing heinous destruction and murder in the neighborhood of Exeter.
It's hard to believe there were as many rotten and screwed up people in a small city
Sarah C
I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good story line, maybe too many characters all in one go which was confusing. The style was a bit simplistic for me but I'm used to classics. I would certainly read another book by Jecks if I was looking for an easy relaxed read that I wanted to have as an inbetweeny from something more serious. A fantastic book to take on holiday but you will need other reads as you would get through it very quickly.
Mar 10, 2016 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medieval whodunnit with a bit of cut n'thrust in the background.

Very handy dramatis persona at the start.

Less boring than one of Ken Folet's tomes.

Good read, although the end is pretty easy to guess.

Apparently this awfur has a HUGE back catalogue. Dunno if I will hunt down anymore.

And don't you just hate it when you reach the end of a book and it gives you chapter 1 of the sequel/prequel ?
Lana Sims
Jan 18, 2014 Lana Sims rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, the historical research accuracy is superb. I did find that I had no doubts as to the murderer for a long time before the characters in the story, but the psychological detail about the various characters was such that the mystery was secondary to the story. I found myself delaying reading the next chapter because I didn't want the book to end. The next book in this series is a prequel, so I hope Jecks is not discontinuing the historical progression.
David B Gough
Mar 15, 2015 David B Gough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense and exhilarating!

Jam packed with excitement, anticipation, surprise and anecdotes that are even more appropriate in today's society than ever! Don't miss this excellent author's work if you like material with substance. Different, however every bit as entertaining as a good Lee Child novel.
J. Jones
This is the first time I have read one of Jecks' books as I was looking for a new author. I think I may have benefitted from reading soem of his other work first, but I still enjoyed it as it made a pleasant change from my usual historical fiction.
Aug 15, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, as ever. Good to have Baldwin and Simon back in Devon. Hugh seems to have been given a very back seat, hope for more of him in the future. Really enjoyed this, very complicated story, which kept me guessing until quite near the end.
Steve Smyth
Jun 16, 2013 Steve Smyth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Micheal Jecks never fails to provide a great whodonit mystery. The title is very appropriate for what unfolds!
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Kerrie rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Dancinghawk3 rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Barbara rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Chuck rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Margaret rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Leo Mingle
Leo Mingle rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Ian J Lamont
Ian J Lamont rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2014
Mai-ana rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
David rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Catherine Braddock
Catherine Braddock rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett, #15)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • The Manor of Death (Crowner John Mystery #12)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)