Muse

Muse (Muse #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The last thing Callie expected to receive for her sixteenth birthday was the power to freeze time. Before she can adjust to her new talent though, she discovers that her worst enemy, her best friend, and six other girls are all descendants of the nine Greek Muses, and are now blessed with various magic abilities.

Between visions of the future and ghosts of the past they com...more
Published March 19th 2012 by Asimi Publications (first published March 1st 2012)

Sarah's Reviews
All Callie wanted for her sixteenth birthday was a drivers license - what she got, was the magical ability to freeze time. Pretty cool, unless you don't have a clue what's going on, and the only person who seems to know is your least favorite individual in the whole world. Then there's the matter of the monster on it's way to kill her. . .

MUSE is an easy flowing young adult read with strong links to Greek Mythology. It contains some language ("hell", The Lord's name in vain), injuries, fighting...more
Ayanami Faerudo
..... Whut?

Good concept. Terrible story development. Dang it.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Thank you to Janica for sending me a copy of this book for review!

I found this book to be a delight from start to finish. It was perfectly paced and had just the right amount of action to keep me interested the whole time. In fact, when I started reading it, I was reminded of the TV show The Secret Circle — once I got the show in my head, it was hard to read about the main character, Callie, without seeing Cassie from the show, or to read about Clio without seeing Faye. That’s not to say that t...more
Witchmag's Boekenplank
Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

I liked the concept of this book. However I wasn’t exactly thrilled with how it’s executed. While reading the book I felt that I was holding an unpolished gem. That could have shone like the brightest star, if only someone had taken the effort to polish it. Unfortunately, the story was unable to shine and throughout I only got glimpses of what great book this could have been. Such a shame…

As I said, I thought the concept was pretty interesting. I lov...more
Shirley
I had heard absolutely nothing about this book until I received a request from the author asking me if I wanted to read it. Janica L. Stoff then sent me a paper back copy in exchange for an honest review. It took me a while to actually pick it up and get started. For that I am genuinely sorry because it was a refreshing read.

I love paranormal and fantasy stories and I’m a sucker for anything that deals with mythology. Because of that, it should be no surprise that I liked Muse. Callie was one of...more
Mandy Sickle
I received this book in a giveaway, however it's a autographed copy so I'm super lucky.

The story centers mostly from Callie's point of view, she's your typical teenage girl trying to make it through school when she wakes up on her birthday to have the ability to freeze time. Her grandmother encourages her while her mother tries to kill it before anything can happen. Through they story Callie learns that she's a descendant from the Greek muses and that she's not the only one there are nine of th...more
Robin Tidwell
“The last thing Callie expected to receive for her sixteenth birthday was the power to freeze time.”

So where’s the sequel? When is it coming out?? Yes, “Muse” is that good!
Callie and her friends (or, in some cases, frenemies) form an alliance to fight evil with good – of course, it takes both time and thought to determine exactly who is the enemy and who and how they must fight. This group of high schoolers, however, is smart, savvy, and fearless and will likely triumph if all goes according to...more
Kathy Brady
I hadn't really been in a reading mood recently so I wasn't really expecting to get very far when I picked up Muse the other day. However once I started it, I just couldn't put it down. I love the characters in this story. They just jump off the page. Callie seems like exactly the kind of girl I would have loved to have for a friend when I was her age and her adventures are exciting and fun.
It's a blend of high school drama, Greek mythology, and teen fantasy and they work so well together to cre...more
Pedro
I happy to have received the book through the Goodreads giveaway program.

When Callie receives the power to freeze time in her sixteen birthday her life is turned upside down. To make the matters worst, her worst enemy seems to know her secret and a evil creature plots against them all.

It is a light and very pleasant reading reading. The style allows the reader to step on and find himself unable to leave it. A very good book, i just can't wait to read more from this author.
Nicole Deatherage
3.5 star rating.

I really wanted to like this book enough to give it a 5 star rating, but it was just a little too juvenile enough for my tastes. Callie was a likeable enough character, but there was something missing from the book as a whole. There wasn't enough Greek Mythology, and I figured out who the bad guy was like...five seconds after the character was introduced.
Nicole
I won a copy of this through First Reads and was pretty excited about it because I love Greek mythology. But I'm abandoning it (for now) because I'm just not getting into it. I'm withholding a star rating since I only read about a quarter in. It isn't bad but it's a bit "younger" YA than I was expecting and doesn't really mesh with my current reading proclivities.
Andrea
This is not my normal genre but I LOVED IT! Cannot wait for the next one!
Christina Rodriguez
Christina Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Tracy Plant kenworthy
Tracy Plant kenworthy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jacquie
Jacquie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Kimberley doruyter
Kimberley doruyter marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
zapkode.marie
zapkode.marie marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Gretty
Gretty added it
Sep 21, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
  • Bell, Book, and Sandals
  • Blood Twist (Erris Coven, # 2)
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Strike: Dawn of the Daybreaker (The STRIKE Trilogy, Book 2)
  • Air (Elemental, #2)
  • Her Honor's Bodyguard
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence # 1)
  • I Have a Secret
  • Cruise of the Undead (Zombies in Paradise #1)
  • New Beginnings
  • Don't Call Me Angel
  • Holding Back the Day
  • Under A Painted Sky (Spirit Warrior #1)
  • Unmasking Maya
  • Entice (Prowl Trilogy, #2)
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
Janica Stoff lives in St. Louis with her family. Besides writing, she enjoys making cakes, working in the yard, sewing and relaxing with a pint of Ben & Jerry's in front of the TV.
More about Janica L. Stoff...
Hope (Muse, #2)