Start by marking “Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  107,316 Ratings  ·  4,565 Reviews
10 hrs 6 mins

Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work magical or mundane.

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder come
Audible Audio, 11 pages
Published June 2009 by Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Corp. (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fool Moon, please sign up.

Liv Kelly I would recommend just getting the paperbacks. To my knowledge the first several books were mostly only paperbacks until much, much later. I could be…moreI would recommend just getting the paperbacks. To my knowledge the first several books were mostly only paperbacks until much, much later. I could be incorrect in that information, of course, but it's just from what I seen upon my searching for the books myself.

Regardless, I hope you find what you're looking for and that this helps some. Happy reading!

Kelly(less)

Kat Kennedy
I've been told this series gets good at book three. Someone else said book four. Another, book six.

I promised to read until book seven, and I will. But Harry is seriously, seriously shitting me.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard private eye who works largely with the Chicago police department's Special Investigations officer, Murphy.

He has the most over-developed Hero complex of any protagonist I've ever read, to the point of ridiculous. I'm almost wondering whether his subconscious is guiding him toward
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

BR with my peeps at: Buddies Books and Baubles

Specifically: Robin (Bridge Four) , Jennavier , Jenny , Lila , oOSarahOo , Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) , and Steven

I don't know if it was the lowered expectations from being told by every-friggin'-body that DRESDEN doesn't start "getting good" until book 3 or 4, or if it was how much cooler the book was than the TV episode based on this same installment, or something else entirely . . .

The why doesn't r
Markus

I looked up through the clear night at the almost-full moon. Werewolves jumping through windows at gangster's lackeys in unfinished restaurants. A mangled corpse in the middle of a blood-drenched floor. Berserk FBI field agents drawing guns and shooting to kill. A little kung fu, a little John Wayne, and a few casual threats.
So far, I thought, my nerves jangling, just one more night on the job.

Ah, the Dresden Files. Modern-day pulp fiction, and yet so fun to read.

Harry Dresden’s career
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Today is your lucky day. Yes it is.

Want know why? Well this was going to be one of my never-ending, ever-rambling reviews. This was going to be an ode to the awesomeness that is Harry D. I was going to go all "blah blah blah this is fantastic, blah blah blah this is so cool, blah blah blah Harry D. I love you even though you're not an asshole, blah blah blah I love what you do with your staff, blah blah blah blah blah blah" on you.

But I won't. Because as much as I love Harry I don't have time
Penny
Update 03-11-11(2): So my last update was hastily written, and in anger. Now that I've had time to cool off and think clearly I'm feeling bad. So here's another, less in-your-face way of saying it:

Warning: this review contains cheekiness. Please do not be offended or take this review too seriously as it is meant in jest. If you are a serious Dresden fan this review is probably not for you. So you should just read another review, k. Have a nice day. :)

Update 03-11-11: I've pretty much had it with
Conor
This was an alright read but not one that has left me eager to tear into the next 13 books already published in this series. There was quite a bit of world-building, especially about werewolves, but I didn't find it particularly immersive. Like in the first book Butcher's attempts to integrate fantasy into the modern world feel kind of forced and these 2 worlds still don't relate to each other in a believable or compelling way.

I also struggled with the characters in this one. Harry was frustrat
Will M.
A gruesome murder comes along, and Harry Dresden's expertise is needed. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon.

I really liked the first book of the series, and I was expecting a lot more from this. The premise screams werewolves, and that's actually my favorite supernatural creature. Werewolves are badass and ruthless, but once again, Butcher had his own take on the supernatural. He sort of mellowed it down, and made it more realistic. I don't hate his imaginative t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read with a few friends at Buddies Books and Baubles.

description

Harry Dresden is going to grow on me. We have been on two outings now and already I see some real potential in this budding relationship between us.

Harry has a few things in his positive column right now:

- Cool friends and acquaintances:
Bob – The skull animated by a sexually adventurous wind spirit who has the memory skills of a computer and a potions master status equivalent to Severus Snape.

Chauncy - Harry’s demon buddy who seems
Brad
Jim Butcher achieves something that no other authors of urban fantasy have done (at least not the ones I've read); he expresses how wonderful it is to be producing magic in a world like ours.

I don't expect characters to be jazzed about their magic skills in a classic fantasy world, where magic is like bowling and everyone knows about it, most people have dabbled, but only a few can bowl anywhere near a perfect score.

Nor do I expect wizards to remain wide-eyed about their skills if they find them
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
I had a hard time getting into this one, but it was still pretty decent. Harry has to figure out who is killing people - and the victims look like they've been savaged by wolves. I'm not a huge werewolf fan, so maybe that is part of why this wasn't as interesting to me. But I did like how there are different types of werewolves in this world and I don't think any of them can be turned. It mainly involves magical spells or curses.

I find it annoying how Harry is always running off alone and rejec
Lindsey Rey
May 30, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, 2015
Really enjoying this series! Can't wait for book 3!
Gary
This book is a fast paced urban fantasy novel that succeeds because of the likable characters and the well-designed world. Harry, the main character, is an archetypal everyman with spells.
The novel builds on the basic werewolf premise, but quickly evolves into a creative and original spin on what would seem a well told (or otherwise worn out) type of tale. The author’s skill, ingenuity and craftiness keep the plot fresh and entertaining.
The book borders on victim literature as Harry struggles t
Kate Lansky
Apr 28, 2014 Kate Lansky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A friend of mine adores this series, and sent my husband and me the entire thing. It showed up at our door in a big amazon box, and well, we got to reading. My husband is two books ahead of me, and promises me that things improve.

I dearly hope he's right.

First off, Butcher tries to pile WAY too much into this book. I hope this isn't a massive surprise, but guess what - this book is about werewolves. Now, you know how authors and movie makers, etc. will tell you "If you show the gun, you have to
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I can't review this properly. Harry Dresden took me right out of my book funk. I mean, who can be in a funk while listening to James Marsters??? No one! It is a proven fact.

I don't even care that James Marsters makes all of his characters sound almost the same. I don't care that he swallows and clears his throat all the time. His voice is perfect for Harry Dresden and I love him for it.

I love Bob the skull, I love how Harry cries when he is injured like a real person, I love the world that Jim
LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos
My Thoughts:

Alot of my friends (you know who you are) have been urging me to try this series for months. I read the first book, Storm Front back in August & I wasn't impressed. But I'm glad I decided to stick with it because Fool Moon kicked major ass. Friends, I am eternally grateful for the relentless peer-pressure & threats of bodily harm *cough cough* Catherine *cough cough* if I didn't give this series a go. Muah!

In the previous book, Harry Dresden had to battle a beyond nutso Warlo
Lisa Kay
Harry Dresden Fan Art ~ by thegryph (Nicole Cardiff)

I love Harry Dresden. I love his duster, his blasting rod and staff, his shield bracelet and force rings, his mother’s silver pentacle amulet, and the way he keeps upgrading these - just like we all do with the technological toys that make our life easier. I love the way he talks about magic, and I love the way he combines elements to create his magic. I know, I should quit gushing and get to the storyline, but he’s just so loveable, even thou
Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

Someone help me here. These are compulsively readable books, and I grant Butcher full props for the ability to pace a story and parse a sentence with equal facility (not all that faint of a praise, believe you me), but these books have some je ne sais quoi that makes them into bestsellers.

WHAT IS IT?!?

I was interested enough in the story to read it in one long sitting, but upon sober reflection, I cannot begin to tell you why. It's not that good of a book. It's not a completely
Amanda
Jul 15, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Harry Dresden book and, after reading Storm Front, I have to say I was a little disappointed. It's an entertaining read, but I found the character of Harry to be inconsistent. Yeah, yeah, I know people are really just one big mass of contradictions and I'm usually the first to make that argument, but there were scenes that just didn't seem to fit. For instance, I cringed at the sex scene with Harry blubbering like a baby after Susan made some lame "I want to protect you from th ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I loved this book. Could it be my fixation with werewolves? Could it be how Butcher describes the various types of weres? Could it be the almost non-stop action? Or is the fact that I get more of one of my favorite characters? Probably a little of all of these.

Fool Moon takes of at a running pace after Storm Front. While Storm Front had to spend time in exposition, this world of Dresden is set up, so we can get more into the action. Harry has to deal with some seriously nasty werewolves, loup g
Ethan
Apr 20, 2010 Ethan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, my friend was right. This is better than the dreadful first book in the Jim Butcher Self-Actualization series. But not a whole lot better.

Harry Dresden should have been dead several times over, yet somehow manages to survive despite being terrifically stupid. Thank goodness his arch-nemeses (the innumerable people who somehow have it in for Dresden) are as incredibly stupid as he is, or else this series would have been over partway through the first book. Only a diabolical fiend would try
Matt
Jul 01, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
'Fool Moon' is the third Harry Dresden book I've read.

I can't really decide if I want to like The Dresden Files more than I do, or if I want to not like them more than I do.

I like them page by page more than I like them book by book. While they make good page turners, there is still something which is on the net very unsatisfying about them.

The more I encounter Harry, the more annoying, whiney, and immature he seems. Despite seeming at times to be directly inspired by role playing games, the ac
Jason
Aug 27, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4 Stars

Hells Bells, after struggling with getting into this one, I found that I really enjoyed this book. I really do try to stay away from all things werewolves, as a result, I had to force myself to push on and finish this one. I am glad that I did.

This book played out better than the first book in the series. We are treated to even more world building, more backstory, more insight into Harry and his friends, and even a touch more from Bob, his totally cool, wise cracking side kick. I am reall
TS Chan
Apr 17, 2016 TS Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a lot of Dresden's fans indicate that the series starts to get better around Book 3 or 4, I thought that this book is already a marked improvement over Storm Front.

I really enjoyed Harry as a character in Fool's Moon, he is just so...real... and his internal monologues are hilarious, even while in the face of grim circumstances. Harry's back story is also being slowly teased out and I am super-invested in him at this point; there's absolutely no doubt now that I will keep on reading the D
David Sven
Jan 19, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it
Fool Moon – It’s got to be about werewolves right? Yes it is! Lots of werewolves. And different types of werewolves – You got your regular werewolf, then you have your Hexenwolf and then you got the biggest baddest mother of all werewolves the dreaded Lup-Garou.

Warning -these are not the cute and cuddly fluffy Twilight variety werewolf. Think more like claw your face off, disembowelment and, a personal favourite of mine, the good old rip the spine out the back trick. Yes, this book has a much h
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
I love Harry Dresden and I could listen to this narrator talk all day.
Liviu Szoke
Din recenzia de pe Blogul FanSF: „Îmi place mult personajul lui Harry Dresden, în ciuda prostiei colosale de care dă uneori dovadă, deși nu e deloc un începător în ale vrăjitoriei, ba chiar are un demon uns cu toate alifiile captiv într-un craniu în pivnița în care face leacurile sale vrăjitorești. Însă el se aruncă precum un berbec cu capul înainte, neținând seama de ce s-ar putea afla dincolo de ușă, neținând seama de pericole, făcându-te uneori să te întrebi dacă nu cumva se crede nemuritor. ...more
Wanda
For me, this was a slightly better read than the first book, in that I feel that Harry’s character has somewhat solidified—I feel like he’s a bit more consistent, there are fewer things pulling him back and forth between the noir detective and the western genres. Choices have been made and patterns established.

Harry is established as a bit of a magical bad boy (apparently because women like the bad boys). He’s still pretty silly in his relationships with women—why be concerned if your skin is ge
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
I'd probably bump this up to a 3.5 if I had the choice.

Half of this story was listened to as an audio book, once again I stalled out and ended up finishing it off by reading it. This will be my last attempt at trying to listen to a book. It's just not for me. I don't have the kind of lifestyle that caters to audio book listening I guess.

As for the story... Despite my lack of enthusiasm for yet another werewolf tale I can honestly say I quite enjoyed it. Harry is a pretty interesting character
Gergana
May 09, 2016 Gergana marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Read in May, 2016.

Fool Moon is a definite improvement compared to Storm Front, yet, there was nothing to impress me whatsoever. Nope, nothing. (Covers are still pretty cool though!)

I am still determined to reach book 4 - the point at which the series improve drastically, as everybody keeps telling me...or was it book 5? 7? 10?

Sunny
4.5 stars I'm pretty sure I am crushing on Harry Dresden as evidenced by the fact that I'm starting a binge read of the series, and this is a commitment as these e-books are expensive.

Harry is a multi-faceted hero. He has a high level of self-awareness. He knows when he is at risk for temptation to the Dark side and manages to get himself straight. He's conscious of the limitation of his powers. He is sensitive and vulnerable enough to shed a tear or two. He is brave, heroic and very loyal. He'
Saucy Wenches Boo...: May - Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher 24 14 Jun 18, 2016 10:43AM
Around the Year i...: Fool Moon, by Jim Butcher 4 18 Mar 04, 2016 09:12AM
Dresden Files: Fool Moon reread 2016 3 13 Feb 19, 2016 09:55AM
paced reading hor...: Fool Moon (Harry Dresden #2) by Jim Butcher 32 11 Oct 12, 2015 02:06PM
2016 Reading Chal...: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher 1 12 Sep 14, 2015 06:21PM
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

17 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I had to smile at the man. I mean, you have to smile at idiots and children.” 521 likes
“There's more magic in a baby's first giggle than in any firestorm a wizard can conjure up, and don't let anyone tell you any different.” 282 likes