Fool Moon

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  66,884 ratings  ·  2,937 reviews
Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work�magical or mundane.

But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that...more
Audiobook, Unabridged - Audible Edition
Published June 2009 by Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Corp. (first published December 31st 2000)

Kat Kennedy
I've been told this series gets good at book three. Someone else said book four. Another, book six.

I promised to read until book seven, and I will. But Harry is seriously, seriously shitting me.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard private eye who works largely with the Chicago police department's Special Investigations officer, Murphy.

He has the most over-developed Hero complex of any protagonist I've ever read, to the point of ridiculous. I'm almost wondering whether his subconscious is guiding him toward...more
Penny
Update 03-11-11(2): So my last update was hastily written, and in anger. Now that I've had time to cool off and think clearly I'm feeling bad. So here's another, less in-your-face way of saying it:

Warning: this review contains cheekiness. Please do not be offended or take this review too seriously as it is meant in jest. If you are a serious Dresden fan this review is probably not for you. So you should just read another review, k. Have a nice day. :)

Update 03-11-11: I've pretty much had it with...more
LethalLovely~As Long as We're Going Down,
My Thoughts:

Alot of my friends (you know who you are) have been urging me to try this series for months. I read the first book, Storm Front back in August & I wasn't impressed. But I'm glad I decided to stick with it because Fool Moon kicked major ass. Friends, I am eternally grateful for the relentless peer-pressure & threats of bodily harm *cough cough* Catherine *cough cough* if I didn't give this series a go. Muah!

In the previous book, Harry Dresden had to battle a beyond nutso Warlo...more
Brad
Jim Butcher achieves something that no other authors of urban fantasy have done (at least not the ones I've read); he expresses how wonderful it is to be producing magic in a world like ours.

I don't expect characters to be jazzed about their magic skills in a classic fantasy world, where magic is like bowling and everyone knows about it, most people have dabbled, but only a few can bowl anywhere near a perfect score.

Nor do I expect wizards to remain wide-eyed about their skills if they find them...more
Lisa Kay
Harry Dresden Fan Art ~ by thegryph (Nicole Cardiff)

★★★★½ I love Harry Dresden. I love his duster, his blasting rod and staff, his shield bracelet and force rings, his mother’s silver pentacle amulet, and the way he keeps upgrading these - just like we all do with the technological toys that make our life easier. I love the way he talks about magic, and I love the way he combines elements to create his magic. I know, I should quit gushing and get to the storyline, but he’s just so loveable, even...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I loved this book. Could it be my fixation with werewolves? Could it be how Butcher describes the various types of weres? Could it be the almost non-stop action? Or is the fact that I get more of one of my favorite characters? Probably a little of all of these.

Fool Moon takes of at a running pace after Storm Front. While Storm Front had to spend time in exposition, this world of Dresden is set up, so we can get more into the action. Harry has to deal with some seriously nasty werewolves, loup g...more
Jason
4 Stars

Hells Bells, after struggling with getting into this one, I found that I really enjoyed this book. I really do try to stay away from all things werewolves, as a result, I had to force myself to push on and finish this one. I am glad that I did.

This book played out better than the first book in the series. We are treated to even more world building, more backstory, more insight into Harry and his friends, and even a touch more from Bob, his totally cool, wise cracking side kick. I am reall...more
David Sven
Fool Moon – It’s got to be about werewolves right? Yes it is! Lots of werewolves. And different types of werewolves – You got your regular werewolf, then you have your Hexenwolf and then you got the biggest baddest mother of all werewolves the dreaded Lup-Garou.

Warning -these are not the cute and cuddly fluffy Twilight variety werewolf. Think more like claw your face off, disembowelment and, a personal favourite of mine, the good old rip the spine out the back trick. Yes, this book has a much h...more
Kate Lansky
A friend of mine adores this series, and sent my husband and me the entire thing. It showed up at our door in a big amazon box, and well, we got to reading. My husband is two books ahead of me, and promises me that things improve.

I dearly hope he's right.

First off, Butcher tries to pile WAY too much into this book. I hope this isn't a massive surprise, but guess what - this book is about werewolves. Now, you know how authors and movie makers, etc. will tell you "If you show the gun, you have to...more
Amanda
This is my second Harry Dresden book and, after reading Storm Front, I have to say I was a little disappointed. It's an entertaining read, but I found the character of Harry to be inconsistent. Yeah, yeah, I know people are really just one big mass of contradictions and I'm usually the first to make that argument, but there were scenes that just didn't seem to fit. For instance, I cringed at the sex scene with Harry blubbering like a baby after Susan made some lame "I want to protect you from th...more
Matt
'Fool Moon' is the third Harry Dresden book I've read.

I can't really decide if I want to like The Dresden Files more than I do, or if I want to not like them more than I do.

I like them page by page more than I like them book by book. While they make good page turners, there is still something which is on the net very unsatisfying about them.

The more I encounter Harry, the more annoying, whiney, and immature he seems. Despite seeming at times to be directly inspired by role playing games, the ac...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3* of five

Someone help me here. These are compulsively readable books, and I grant Butcher full props for the ability to pace a story and parse a sentence with equal facility (not all that faint of a praise, believe you me), but these books have some je ne sais quoi that makes them into bestsellers.

WHAT IS IT?!?

I was interested enough in the story to read it in one long sitting, but upon sober reflection, I cannot begin to tell you why. It's not that good of a book. It's not a completely...more
Karla
5 Howlin’ Good Time Stars!! Harry Dresden is the most wickedly delicious wizard and he has me under his spell!! Start to finish I was mesmerized by this book. Harry is sexy, charming, a decent guy, who always seems to find himself in the most precarious predicaments.

This series is chocked full of amazing paranormal characters that inhabit the everyday normal world, and there are also some equally interesting mortals. Murphy is the balls-to-wall cop who calls on Harry when she needs his expertise...more
Rob
Executive Summary: A vast improvement over Storm Front, though still pretty simplistic if plot and style.

Audio book: Like the writing in the novel, the improvement in the audio reading by James Marsters is also evident. He still whispers too much, which can make hearing what he's saying hard, even with the volume cranked way up. I still don't find him to be an amazing reader, but he has added some voices to his repertoire, including using what I'll call his "Spike" voice for Bob.

Full Review
I wa...more
The Flooze
To be fair, I'd rate this one more of a 3.5.

Book two of The Dresden Files is action-packed from the get-go. It's filled with grizzly murders and feral beasts, and Harry gets the crap beat out of him time and again--maybe to the point of overkill.

I do appreciate that sometimes he just wants to curl up in a little ball and try again another day. Seems rather logical, since he's more "regular guy" than stoic, invincible hero.

I'm loving John Marcone. I have a thing for suave, gentleman gangsters...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. As good as the first one. Harry Dresden is a really good main character and the tone of the book is a lot of fun. A truly fun, quick read that is NEVER boring.
Sheri
I love Harry!! I love his sarcasm, his self-depreciating humor, his smarts, his Macgyver-like ability to get out of any situation with the scantest of resources.

Fool Moon, as you might guess by the title, is about werewolves. I really enjoyed that author's take on the wolves and the many different kinds of wolves…how inventive!

My favorite part of this book, though, was that we got to see a softer side of Harry. The scene towards the end with him and Susan was just a peek, barely even a chapter...more
Galla
Do you remember that Prohibition episode of The Simpsons, with the awesome quote, "To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!" Replace "alcohol" with "Harry Dresden" and you have Harry's take on the plot of this book: everything bad that happens is somehow Harry's fault, and in displays of bravado ranging from questionable to suicidal, Harry is also the only one who can fix things. Who knew one wizard's egoism could have such an impressive range?

It's why he apparently nev...more
Blaire
I really liked Storm Front, which was the first in this series, and consequently am really disappointed in this, the second. In fact this book makes me wonder about my review of Storm Front. What I liked about Storm Front was its inventiveness, its idea of magic, its chivalrous, dashing protagonist, and its pacing. This book's heart is in the right place, and I still like its "take" on magic, but that's the best I can say. Whoever edited this book didn't do their job. It is incredibly repetitive...more
Kristen
Holy Moses! How has this Harry Dresden guy managed to *live* long enough to be in a second book? I think he missed maybe two opportunities to make the wrong impulsive decision in this novel. Seriously. I'm flabbergasted. There's seven novels in this series now - I sure hope the guy has learned *something* from his multiple screw-ups so far. (Otherwise, I'll have to believe that the audience for these books is utterly lacking in critical facilities.)

I am perhaps being a bit unfair to Harry. He's...more
Lauren
Fool Moon
3.5 Stars

The plot is action packed and exciting and the world building continues to develop with this installment focusing on the various types of wolf-shifters. There is a lot of information and detail that can be confusing at first, but it all makes sense by the end. One of the most compelling aspects of the storyline is that the distinctions between good an evil are not always clear and appearances can be deceiving.

Harry is a very likable protagonist and I enjoy his wit and sarcasm,...more
Ethan
Well, my friend was right. This is better than the dreadful first book in the Jim Butcher Self-Actualization series. But not a whole lot better.

Harry Dresden should have been dead several times over, yet somehow manages to survive despite being terrifically stupid. Thank goodness his arch-nemeses (the innumerable people who somehow have it in for Dresden) are as incredibly stupid as he is, or else this series would have been over partway through the first book. Only a diabolical fiend would try...more
Lady Jaye
I'm sad to give this one a measly three stars because I was excited for this book. I was disappointed.

A lot of the plot was advanced by people who should know better being unforgivably obtuse. Take Murphy, for example, with her knee jerk reactions, arresting Harry every chance she got, when a little bit of maturity would have accomplished drastically different results. All she'd needed was a few minutes - no seconds, of clear thinking to allow Harry to talk, and a lot of misconceptions would ha...more
Kim
The second in the Dresden Files picks up a short time after the events of the first novel. His "relationship" with journalist Susan is slowly simmering while his working relationship with Detective Murphy has soured. But she needs his help once more when a series of murders appear to have been committed by an abnormal wolf.

The series is setting itself up in a monster-of-the-week style. Every book some new villain for Dresden to vanquish though there is a hint of an over-arcing story with little...more
Michael
Harry Dresden is Chicago’s only professional wizard, so when another unusual murder happens it’s not surprised that Dresden will be dragged into the middle of it. Lt. Murphy calls on Dresden when a henchman is found murdered near a group of wolfish paw prints. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses and the first two don’t count…

Shortly following the events from Storm Front, Dresden is back to save Chicago from yet another evil force. You get the...more
Becky
This was pretty good, but it didn't have that same "READ ME NOW!" quality that I felt Storm Front had. I didn't want to put that one down. This one, I set down frequently.

I enjoyed it though. I really love Harry. I love his confliction, his do-gooder quality, his chivalry, his sense of humor and his badassity. I love the magic system, and I love how it seems that we're learning a little more about it with each book. I love Bob.

Murphy was again frustrating and annoying. I just really d...more
Jim
It was pretty good & I was surprised by the story. At first I thought it would be much like the episode in the TV series, but it was much more complex & entertaining. A little too much explaining at one point to draw all the threads together, but it worked out alright.

For the first half of the book, Harry's self-pitying, lack of explanations & relationship issues got old. His inability to communicate well & his overwhelming guilt afterward is so 'comic book character', for lack o...more
Scott
"They're just itching for me to lead them in some meaningful crusade against evil. Hell, I have trouble just paying the bills". Harry Dresden, Chicago wizard out and about fighting the dark shades of the NeverNever, gets himself mixed up with all things lupine in this one. All decked out in his trademark leather duster, blaster staff, and pentacled amulet, Harry faces off against not only some fierce weres, but also against the big daddy of them all, the loup - garou. Once again, Butcher's crisp...more
Tania
3.5 stars. If you're looking for a literary masterpiece, then this is not it. If you are looking for a book that will hook you in and make you forget about everything else, you've find it. This piece of delightful escapism is almost impossible to put down, and I found myself reading in the strangest places. I am definitely becoming a fan and will be reading the next instalment very soon.

The story: Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full o...more
AH

Harry’s back. This time he has some furry friends to deal with.

The second installment of the Dresden Files, Fool Moon was exciting, action-packed, and blood-drenched. This book is full of werewolves – and all kinds of them. I loved how Jim Butcher took the werewolf lore and used many different kinds of werewolves to add layers of interest to this book.

Fool Moon is a darker story. Harry struggles with his inner wizard throughout this book. He is tempted by the black magic, but makes a...more
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (MHI, #3)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros, #2)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
A martial arts enthusiast whose resume includes a long list of skills rendered obsolete at least two hundred years ago, Jim Butcher turned to writing as a career because anything else probably would have driven him insane. He lives in Independence, Missouri, with his wife, his son, and a ferocious guard dog.
More about Jim Butcher...
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

9 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I had to smile at the man. I mean, you have to smile at idiots and children.” 428 likes
“There's more magic in a baby's first giggle than in any firestorm a wizard can conjure up, and don't let anyone tell you any different.” 231 likes