Start by marking “The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy” as Want to Read:

Published April 3rd 2012 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Doing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Doing

Lenore Webb
May 02, 2012 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
THEBOOK OF DOING: Everyday Activities to UnlockYour Creativity and Joy by Allison Arden. This is my newest dream book. My grandbabes will be here soon for summer time visits. I want them to revel in the summer days. Yet we do have to have activities. Allison Arden has given me a whole book of ideas. Easy everyday ideas to make, create, share, laugh and just plain ol enjoy. I know we will have homemade puppet shows, cookies to share and more than enough craft times to fill the days. Add in ...more
Storm
Apr 28, 2012 Storm rated it really liked it
In the The Book Of Doing, there are tons of ideas to spark a little bit of creativity and bring back the fun and joy of every day living - from building something out of a natural material to starting a book club. The book has this homey handwritten feel to it, with a doodle-y look that makes you feel you are in your own notebook. It's also filled with great quotes, and lots of pages you can scribble or draw in - almost like an artsy scrapbook of your own.

The Book Of Doing hands down is a great
Jeslyn
Aug 19, 2014 Jeslyn rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, would be a fun for a family to work through over the course of a year or so - quite a few of the suggestions are things that I've done or recently begun, and I had to smile in agreement that they have brought a much-needed dose of pleasure to my life. Some are very simple and short, some require a bit of planning; all are improved with the inclusion of friends and family. Designed to be written in and pasted into, it's a mix of manual/journal that can jump-start ...more
Apr 01, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has an interesting mix of ideas and I liked how many of them were simple and no-cost (and really get you thinking creatively). This was helpful to read before our family "stay-cation."
Cathleen
Jun 17, 2013 Cathleen rated it liked it
Clever ideas to spark creativity and get us thinking outside the box. It doesn't hurt that the first task in this book is to create your own personal ultimate ice cream sundae. :)
Unknown User
Nov 21, 2013 Unknown User rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! Simple and happy with those yellow-coloured pages and drawings
Kriste
May 27, 2015 Kriste rated it liked it
Some great ideas for stimulating creativity and cultivating happiness.
Rissie
Jul 01, 2013 Rissie rated it it was ok
A book of things to do. The trouble is, most of the things in this book I have either already done, don't want to do or have been prompted to do from a more inspiring source. Not much in here that is new or interesting. In fact, most of the ideas are self congratulatory, overly artistic or just plain dumb. A couple of the wost offenders are "write your name in bubble letter and color it" and "make a piggy bank out of an empty coffee can." Was this book really written for adults?

Ok, that's enough
Stef
Nov 02, 2015 Stef rated it it was ok
I like the spirit and intent behind this book, as well as a handful of ideas. But it isn't clear who the audience is supposed to be. Child-like adults? Mature young people? The ideas given tend to lean toward parents who want to do stuff with their kids, then other ideas seem like they're FOR kids. Kind of lost, scattered, and directionless.
Bethany
Sep 23, 2013 Bethany rated it it was ok
I received this book as a gift and read it in the hopes of finding some little activity or reading that my English students can do as part of our expository unit. Unfortunately, I didn't find any gold.

It has a few cute ideas, but it doesn't really help with the overall big picture of Doing That One Thing That Scares the Crap Out of You But Will Really Impact Your Life.
bacabuku
Jan 15, 2015 bacabuku rated it did not like it
This book is not what it claims to be. Nothing creative. Nothing joyful. The writer should keep this book to herself and not meant to be shared.
May be because books like Wreck this Journal was in trend, now writers or pseudowriters try hard to copy the concept. I rather read empty pages book
Alisa
May 07, 2013 Alisa rated it it was ok
Some interesting ideas but not very memorable at this point. I read it a few months ago and forgot.
Lori Geer
Lori Geer rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Jamie
Mar 02, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it
Some are obvious, some are not. Nailed the "Start a Book Club" one. #nailedit
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Bradley Hulsman
Bradley Hulsman rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Dana Mottweiler
Dana Mottweiler rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Ivan Cherepukhin
Ivan Cherepukhin rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Rose Smith
Rose Smith rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Bridgett
Bridgett rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
John Griffin
John Griffin rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Alemsah Ozturk
Alemsah Ozturk rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2012
Dinesh
Dinesh rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking