The Axmann Conspiracy: The Nazi Plan for a Fourth Reich and How the U.S. Army Defeated It

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A trusted member of Hitler’s inner circle, Artur Axmann, the head of the Hitler Youth, witnessed the Führer commit suicide in Berlin—but he would not let the Reich die with its leader. Evading capture, and with access to remnants of the regime’s wealth, Axmann had enough followers to reestablish the Nazi party in the very heart of Allied-occupied Germany—and position himse...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Berkley Hardcover

Ann
Good story, bad writing.

This book’s cover claims to present the story of how a handful of former Hitler Jugend leaders created a conspiracy to keep the Nazi ideals alive after the collapse of the Third Reich, and how their organization was infiltrated by the American Counter Intelligence Corps. On the face of it, this has the potential for a great story, and I started this book with great expectations.

None of these expectations were fulfilled and I was actually irritated by the time I finished...more
Peter McGarvey
Reads a lot like a thriller but it is the real goods on how the plans for Hitler's ultimate legacy were thwarted.
Debbie
"The Axmann Conspiracy" is about what happened in Germany after Hitler committed suicide and how American Counter Intelligence officers uncovered and defeated the attempt by high-level Nazis to reestablish Nazi influence after the end of the war. Though Axmann was the one who got it all started, he was in hiding after the fall of Berlin. It was his fellow Hitler Youth officers--following his initial orders--that did most of the secret rebuilding of Nazi power.

The book started with Hitler commit...more
J. Bryce
Well done and highly recommended, though I didn't think it had "all the elements of a great spy thriller," as Douglas Preston allegedly said. Still, an interesting story about Artur Axmann, head of the Hitler Youth, and his effortss post-war to keep the spirit of Nazzism alive, and how he was [spoiler alert] ultimately unsuccessful in doing so.
John Ferringer
It's an interesting historical event, although nothing too momentous about it. I didn't really like the author's writing style, nor the need to continually repeat details that he had already disclosed previously.
Dana Mees-athuring
Read Martin Davidson's "The Perfect Nazi" instead, it's well written, well edited and engaging.
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Natalie Clapp
Natalie Clapp marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Tim De
Tim De marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Ray Fini
Ray Fini marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Greyweather
Greyweather marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
David Graves
David Graves marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Amber Kozlowski
Amber Kozlowski marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Don LaFountaine
Don LaFountaine marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Whit Preston
Whit Preston marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm a graduate of UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School. I also have a master’s degree in Human Rights and Intellectual Property Law from Sweden’s Lund University, where I wrote his thesis on diamonds. I am licensed to practice law in California and New York.
More about Scott Andrew Selby...
Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History A Serial Killer in Nazi Berlin: The Chilling True Story of the S-Bahn Murderer Lupenrein: Die wahre Geschichte des größten Diamantenraubes aller Zeiten (German Edition)