A Wedding in Great Neck

A Wedding in Great Neck

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Silverstein family is coming together in Great Neck, Long Island, for the nuptials of the youngest daughter. Always considered the favorite—and the object of much envy and resentment—Angelica has planned a fairy tale wedding to her fiancé, a former fighter pilot. But there are storm clouds on the horizon.

Gretchen, Angelica’s sister, is dealing with a failed marriage a...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by NAL Trade

Dione Sage
This is a charmingly wonderful book about the struggles and quirks of one family during the course of one weekend. The family in this story, the Silversteins are a variety of personalities and emotions. There is Angelica, who is the youngest of the Silverstein siblings and the reason for the whole family gathering. Angelica is getting married and the entire family is attending her wedding at her mother and step father's home in Great Neck. In attendance is her mother Betsy (a little erratic), st...more
Nicole Snyder
I really wanted to like it more and started to. I hated the end.
kim
I picked this book up because the cover is so pretty! really didn’t expect much more that a quick read and a fun romance. Well....at least it was a quick read!

First, I’m going to start with the end and say I HATED IT! Up until the last two pages, I really enjoyed the book. I’m not going to spoil the ending by telling you what happened, but I really wish the author would have just ended the story two pages earlier. Then end served no purpose and felt like it was there because the author was runni...more
Maria Mitchell
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for a fair review.

A Wedding in Great Neck by author Yona Zeldis McDonough was true to any crazy wedding day story with big families. There was the old beloved family matriarch. The frantic both idolized and hated bride. The mysterious groom. The couple working through the husband's infidelity. The teenage twins going through a faze of rebelliousness. The ex-husband working through his issues of his ex-wife married again very up...more
Patty
A Wedding In Great Neck
Yona Zeldis McDonough

My " in a nutshell" summary...

A family wedding, lots of dysfunction and a surprise ending.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Interesting study of a family filled with quirky characters coming together on the day of the youngest daughter's wedding. The author threw in almost every dysfunction out there. Recovering alcoholism, teen drug issues, homosexuality, jealousy, divorce, infidelity, babies born out of wedlock, tooth aches, dog issues, bra fit...more
Chelsey
We are introduced to the highly dysfunctional Silverstein family in Yona’s new book. We meet for the wedding of the baby sister, Angelica, and we are introduced to the entire family, which have come together for the event. Each chapter belongs to a member of the family who speaks about their experiences at the wedding and what is going on in their life at the current moment. Some readers are not fond of this method, but for the purpose of this book, it works great!

Yona creates such deep and com...more
Wendell Henry
Wedding in Great Neck offers the pleasure of reading about a happy family. By that I don’t mean there aren’t plenty of conflicts, and secret agendas, and trouble for McDonough’s characters to create, and get into. But there is the Shakespearean notion that “All’s Well That Ends Well,” as McDonough, holds her invented world in her lovingly cupped hands. This family feels real, as they act out problems that typical families experience, rather than the dark dysfunction and abuse that is the focus o...more
Amber Jones
Let me beak this down for you. Angelica is a spoiled rotten chit of a girl who has a sister, Gretchen. Gretchen is very whiney and doesn't deal with her teenage daughter Justine. Justine really needs her ass kicked for being such a brat. I liked Betsy and Lenore, the rest of the characters were annoying.

Really disliked this book. I was amazed that they pulled it all together enough to even have a wedding. And why did the book end that way? She was my favorite character.
Julie Barrett
A Wedding in Great Neck by Yona Zeldis McDonough
The Silverstein family is getting together for the youngest child wedding on Long Island, NY.
Problem is there are family situations that might spoil it all...
Confusing at the beginning as there are many names and spouses names thrown out. Not sure if the book comes with a family tree as I'm listening to this on a tape.
Justine wants to cause havoc and thinks the groom will go with her and then others will see that he's not meant for Angelica.
I feel...more
A fun light read about a complicated family on the youngest daughter's wedding day. This is genuinely amusing with intriguing characters
and the usual tricky interactions between ex-spouses, new spouses, old sibling rivalries, teenage angst, etc. a good beach read or in my case, fun to read while recuperating from surgery.
Margaret
Having read other author's comments about this book, I really expected a laugh-out-loud funny book. I may have smiled a couple of times, but the book just didn't live up to my expectations.
Angelica is the favored daughter and the book centers around that one day with Angelica's siblings, mother, grandmother, step-father, father, and nieces moving in and out of the day with all the drama you could possibly imagine. Troubled teens, estranged spouses, disappointed lovers...the list goes on. No one...more
Tiffany
I won this book thru Goodreads First Reads...thank you to Goodreads, Penguin Books, and the author, Yona Zeldis McDonough!

Weddings are usually a crazy affair, bringing out the absolute worst in everyone - and "A Wedding in Great Neck" is no exception. Dysfunctional characters run amuck: including ex-husbands, almost ex-husbands, angry pierced-up teenagers, meddling grandmothers, cheating boyfriends, and one bladder-challenged yapper. I enjoyed the organized dysfunction of this large family, cent...more
Michelle
I won this as a FR giveaway and I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this novel. The story is told from the point of view of numerous family members, so it is a bit busy, and there is a lot going on in the novel, but that just makes it a book that never gets boring. Each character has a lot of depth, and they are all so different, so it was fascinating to read about them and the dynamics of a dysfunctional Jewish family. I'm not Jewish, but you don't need to be Jewish to enjoy this novel. A c...more
Christine
This story takes place in the course of a single day-the wedding day of Anjelica and Ohed. The whole family has come, including grandma, the exes, and so on. While reading it I felt as if I had just gotten off the Long Island Railroad and was meeting the family for the first time. And, as will happen at a wedding everyone is a bit larger than life (for better or for worse). I found myself doong what I would be doing in real life: trying to figure out what everyone's REAL deal is. Is she as imper...more
Gregory Murphy
A truly compelling read. "A Wedding in Great Neck" grabs you from the first page with characters that have a depth not often found in contemporary fiction -- from the newly-separated, older sister Gretchen, to her struggling father Lincoln, to the beautifully-realized, sympathetic grand dame Lenore. With a miniaturist's eye for detail, the author brings the "big day" at a palatial Long Island home to vivid, tumultuous life. "A Wedding in Great Neck" is vintage champagne poured with a sure and kn...more
Anita Johnson
Four generations of the Silverstein family gather at a Long Island mansion for the wedding of beautiful, brilliant, successful, envied Angelica and her fiance, a former Israeli fighter pilot. The bride and groom-to-be actually have minor roles and the focus is on her grandmother, Lenore; her parents and stepfather; two brothers; and her sister, husband and twin 15-year-old daughters. It is amazing how much drama can be packed into one 24-hour-period. It was entertaining.

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A book with true characters within a crazy family that is on high alert because it is a wedding where emotions are at the extreme and I loved every minute of it. Some books have too much crazy within their characters, but this family of characters were spot on they made me shake my head and laugh on the same page. With four generations all under the same roof the drama was bound to happen and it does!
Sally Schloss
I'm a fan of anything that Yona Zeldis McDonough writes. She always draws rich, psychologically nuanced characters, and A Wedding in Great Neck is no exception. In this book, she creates a world in one day--and it's far from what it appears to be. The icing on the wedding cake, as it were, reveals a rich, chewy center. Curl up on your sofa with a pot of tea and give yourself a large slice of this delicious book—I’ll bet you’ll eat the whole thing!
Gina
This is the first time I have read this author and I absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down. The plot is basically about a family wedding and all the crazy antics that usually go along with them but the author writes each character with such depth and individuality that it was truly different that any other run of the mill chick-lit wedding day novel. I will certainly be looking for more of this author's works! 5 stars!
Karen Allen
A Wedding in Great Neck is an enjoyable read - the kind of quick read that's perfect for tucking in your bag for the ride in the car, the airplane trip, or your vacation at the beach. And if you've ever been a mother of the bride, as I myself was recently, you will probably find yourself thinking back to all the little problems and snafus that happened along the way with your own daughter's wedding.
Elena
Eh. I decided not to abandon this book because I was intrigued by some of the characters. The author says at the end of the book that her characters drive the plot but I felt like there were too many characters and not enough plot. Then there were some story lines/characters I wanted to know more about but you never get the full story. I did love Lenore though.
Valerie
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

As the title suggests, the story follows all of the family drama surrounding the wedding of the "favorite" daughter. Although some of the strands were compelling, I thought there was a little too much happening. It held my interest and I enjoyed the novel, but didn't leave me with a 'wow' feeling.
Laudys
This book was far better than I thought it would be.

And while, at times, I wasn't very happy with the character's crazy shenanigans, hurtful words or lengthy musings, there was much in it that I enjoyed, like Gretchen's development and Angelica's unmasking.

If your family drives you up to wall, this may give you some pointers to survive a few encounters.
Linda
Wasn't a bad book. Just moved a little slow for me in the beginning. Felt like I was reading a book about my own slightly dysfunctional family. By the end of the book was getting more fascinated with the characters. Enjoyed the middle and the ending--although not happily ever after--more real-life and characters with flaws and interest.
Tammy
Mar 27, 2013 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
The story was OK. Nothing major for me. I felt the story kept going but nothing really grabbed me. I predicted the end well in advance. I thought it was a good ending but predictable. OK book. It isn't one that I feel I need to tell everyone to go read though.
Jen Poffenberger
A good read. The story is told from all the family members except the brides. A perfectly planned wedding that almost isn't....ends up being a turning point for many involved. The ending seems happen suddenly, but not really unexpectedly.
Erika Dreifus
Complimentary copy provided by the publisher.

Additional thoughts about this book available on My Machberet.
Susan
2.5 to 3 stars. There was the seed of a good beach read in here, but the author tried to juggle too many characters and plots in too few pages, with the result that everything felt incomplete.
Mfbirkett
I did not care for this book and did not even finish it. As one of my library school professors, Helen trader, said, there are too many good books to enjoy to waste your time reading ones you don't.
Diane
I probably would have given this five stars if the language had not been somewhat less than squeaky clean. I enjoyed reading the book and will look for more from this author.
  • The Gin & Chowder Club
  • Always the Baker, Finally the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #4)
  • Cancel the Wedding: A Novel
  • Fathermucker
  • The Memory Book
  • Danny's Mom
  • The Wishing Hill: A Novel
Who Was Harriet Tubman? Louisa: The Life of Louisa May Alcott The Doll Shop Downstairs Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Who Was John F. Kennedy?