Every Cowgirl Loves a Rodeo

Every Cowgirl Loves a Rodeo (Every Cowgirl books #3)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Nellie Sue is keeping it fair at the fair

Nellie Sue is back and she's taking her cowgirl flair to the county fair. There are games to play, animals to pet, and rides to go on. But of course, Nellie Sue is really looking forward to the Bike Rodeo. She hopes that practicing will make her and her two-wheeled horse good enough to win against the reigning champion and her frien...more
Published May 24th 2012 by Dial

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian FalconerEloise by Kay Thompson
Best little girl books
95th out of 312 books — 213 voters
The Cowboy and the Black-Eyed Pea by Tony JohnstonWild West Days by David C. KingThe Dirty Cowboy by Amy TimberlakeC Is for Cowboy by Eugene GaglianoThe Gingerbread Cowboy by Janet Squires
The Wild West for Children
7th out of 13 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Every cowgirl Loves a Rodeo. / Rebecca Janni. / 2012.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"Nellie Sue enjoys the county fair, but cannot wait to compete against the reigning champion of the bicycle rodeo, A.J. Picket" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
imagination, child cowgirls, bikes, rodeos, fairs, sportsmanship

Review citation:
"Even readers unfamiliar with EveryCowgirl Needs a Horse (2010) and EveryCowgirl Need...more
Rosa Cline
I checked this book out of our library thinking horses and rodeos etc. However when I started reading it to my 2 year old granddaughter I was at first disappointed 'cause the little girl is a 'cowgirl wantabe' using her imagination and making her bike a horse. But to little listeners they could be confused in this book 'because the illustrations kind of go against the story a little. But for older readers they would understand that the little girl is using her imagination. There is no real horse...more
Alice
If you read my reviews, I rarely give 5 stars...but this is a solid 4 1/2/ I love the illustrations, I love the story, and I love the imagination. This is a fun book and I think girls will love it too. Because truly, "Every Cowgirl loves a Rodeo"
Pamela Kramer
"Every Cowgirl Loves a Rodeo" by Rebecca Janni and illustrated by Lynne Avril is the third picture book in the series about Nellie Sue and her cowgirl flair.

While her friend is decked out in beads and a tutu, Nellie Sue prefers a big pink cowgirl hat, bandanna and gloves with real fringe. She's a cowgirl from her head to her two-wheeled "horse," Beauty.

Her nemesis? The neighborhood cowboy, A. J. Pickett, with his "Rodeo King" button and blue ribbons from the county fair.

When the rodeo comes to t...more
Christopher Skelskey
Fun read aloud and it has some good points to help kids think about what the author is referring to. The illustrations are well done and the kids can see how it is easy to use your imagination when playing.
Barbara
Quintessential Nellie Sue is thrilled when it's time for her to go to the fair. Not only does she get to spend time with her friends and see the animals, but she competes in the bike rodeo. Although she wants to win, she knows that she has to do the right thing to prevent her competitor's ride from being spoiled by a runaway goat. Sometimes being a cowgirl means doing the right thing rather than winning. Nellie Sue loses to the Rodeo King, A. J. Pickett, and wins a red ribbon, but he makes sure...more
Danielle Butler
This story has won the Children's Choice award. The story is about a girl participating in different events at the fair. She joins a bike rodeo, trying to beat her neighbor. When the neighbors turn is up, a goat escapes which could cause him to lose. The girl catches the goat, helping the neighbor win the rodeo. I believe this book is not only fun for children to read, but also give the young readers a positive role model. She is more concerned about doing what is right and helping out than winn...more
Patricia
Cute illustrations abound in this children's story about a little girl named Nellie Sue who competes in the bike rodeo at the county fair.
Courtney Angelo
This was a cute book for children, and addressed an important life lesson. Nellie Sue has been competing against AJ for the fair title, but he always wins! She gives an amazing performance this year, but when a goat invades AJ's ring, she saves the day and let's him give an equally strong performance. Nellie Sue is showing children that being the "bigger person" builds strong character. She could have been selfish and let the goat ruin AJ's show so that he could win, but she took a step above he...more
Lauren Candia
Keywords: playing fair, county fair, bikes, cowgirl/cowboy, good sportsmanship
Adrienne
Nellie Sue is excited for the fair, which will include a bike rodeo, but she has tough competition in neighborhood cowboy A.J. Pickett, who is the Rodeo King. While Nellie Sue does her best, A.J.'s ride stands a chance of being ruined when a goat gets loose in the arena. But Nellie Sue uses her cowgirl skills to wrangle that goat and help A.J. in the process.

This is a cute story about being a good sport. Nellie Sue is a spunky character, and the pictures (which could imply some romantic interest...more
Ed McKeogh
As a parent of two little girls (7 & 4), I'm over-the-moon thrilled when I discover work that is vibrant, colorful, energetic, fun and positive and that fuels imaginative play. The "Every Cowgirl" series of books hits all the right notes, with an added dose of rip-roaring action and the kind of quiet charm that can coax your eyes to go a little misty. I extend a father's gratitude to Ms. Janni and Ms. Avril for sharing Nellie Sue with the wider world.
Becca Calvin
I really liked this book. It was about a girl who entered a bicycle rodeo and practiced against the rodeo king. Her dog got in the way of the rodeo king when they were practicing together and he said" make it fair at the fair." She goes with her friends to the fair and races and gets the best time until the rodeo king goes. But she gets an award for being the best goat roper at the rodeo. It was a really cute book.
Jan Blazanin
In this third, and funniest, book featuring bicycle cowgirl Nellie Sue, she enters her two-wheeled horse Beauty in a bicycle rodeo at the county fair. Full of action and adventure, this story will have parents laughing along with their children. And the lesson about friendship and fairness will give them a topic for discussion. Lynne Avril's lively drawings increase the enjoyment of this quick-moving story.
Emily
I truly liked this book because it teaches children that winning isn't everything and to be a better person. Its an important lesson for children to learn, especially in the first grade to third grade range because thats usually when kids start playing sports and the parents become more competitive than the kids. So it would be a great book to read to a class!
Peacegal
I expected not to like this book, as I assumed it would glorify rodeos. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out this book is about a bicycle rodeo, pointing the way to creating kinder traditions.

Granted, the main character does "rope" a goat (albeit her "lasso" is a bandanna and she simply "captures" the goat in a tug-of-war game.)
Kylee S
I thought this book was very cute and taught a good lesson. The pictures were cute and it reminded me of going to a fair. This story taught a lesson about competition and how it is okay to lose as long as you are nice about it. Also, shows a way to be a good player if you win. I found this book to be very enjoyable.
Rachel S
Oct 20, 2013 Rachel S marked it as to-read
This book i thought was interesting. i thought it was gonna be about a horse rodeo because on the cover of the book it shows a horse, however when reading it was about a bike.
Paula
Nellie Sue enjoys the county fair, but cannot wait to compete against the reigning champion of the bicycle rodeo, A.J. Picket.
Sharon Lawler
In past episodes "Every Cowgirl" has boots, has a horse, and in this one, she loves a rodeo---a bike rodeo. Cute!
Donalyn
I like Nellie Sue a lot. She's just darlin'. Great message about fairness and behaving honorably.
Watercolor
First page was hard to read which set my response to the book right away.
Prose
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse Every Cowgirl Needs Dancing Boots Jammy Dance Every Cowgirl Goes to School Nellie Sue, Happy Camper: An Every Cowgirl Book