Start by marking “Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #10)

Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery #10)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  503 ratings  ·  72 reviews
New Orleans is in the throes of another fantastic Mardi Gras celebration when the party gets crashed by a murderer. Now a scrapbooking sleuth is going to have to stop the partying to catch the killer…

There’s a parade rolling through the historic French Quarter, with gigantic floats, silver beads, and dizzying lights—and Kimber Breeze of KBEZ-TV is broadcasting live from...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Postcards from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postcards from the Dead

Eli
A few notes on the audio version...marble-mouthed narrator combined with strangely timed & unnecessary pauses. I thought it would be white noise as I worked, but it didn’t work.

This is the 2nd of the series I’ve read and perhaps not knowing the back story has colored my opinion of the story & the characters, but the story is weak & I do not like Carmela. She lacks most qualities heroines tend to have, except for impetuousness and lack of consideration for others.

I characterized the...more
Marge
I have read this entire series and enjoyed it. This one let me down. The characters do the same exact thing in every book. Go to a funeral, go to a party at Baby's, drive out of town to a scary location, confront Glory, roll over for Shamus etc.

The selling of the garden district house will continue for books, just like the divorce did. Carmela and Babcock only talk about the case. They have limited time together, never go on a date and when they do meet for a drink Carmela pumps him for info on...more
Susan
Once again, Carmela, the owner of a scrapbook shop in the French Quarter of New Orleans, and her very annoying friend, Ava, investigate a murder. I couldn't decide what bothered me most about this book. Was it the way Carmela leaves poor, long-suffering Gabby to run the scrapbook shop? Or the frequent mention that Carmela was still under 30? Maybe it was how modest Carmela is in terms of dress when compared to Ava? The really inane way Carmela handles her investigation at the end of the book? Ho...more
Brenda at MyShelf
I live through Carmela and Ava... New Orleans, French Quarter, Mardi Gras, parties, dress-up crafts, and mayhem... The ladies give Detective Babcock, a run for his badge as they play detectives on their own...

I'm not a scrapbooker and it doesn't matter, I enjoy following this series...

Mason
New Orleans and Mardi Gras have long since been the setting for murder mysteries, but author Laura Childs puts a different spin on the concept with amateur sleuth Carmela Bertrand and POSTCARDS FROM THE DEAD.

Carmela, owner of Memory Mine Scrapbooking, is awaiting her turn in the camera spotlight when something goes terrible wrong. KBEZ-TV reporter Kimber Breeze is conducting interviews on the fourth floor balcony of a hotel in the French Quarter overlooking the Mardi Gras parade below.

Just as sh...more
Julie P
Alright, this book was better than some of the previous ones, but suspense? Zilch. There was more mystery and anticipation with the creepy postcards than there was with Carmela solving the actual murder. All-in-all, there was about one entire page towards the end where I thought Carmela might be in danger, but in her cozy mystery damsel in distress style, all was saved. We get it, Carmela, it helps when everyone loves you and you're pretty. We do go to a lot of parties in this book, and we do ge...more
Jennie
Ugh. I like murder mysteries. I also enjoy scrapbooking. I think this is the tenth or so book in a series, but it's the first one I've read, and I had no desire to read any of the others. The story dragged, the romance between the protagonist and one of the officers...it wasn't there and not realistic at all. Additionally, while reading, I was disappointed with the dated scrapbooking material. The author must have written the book in 2006, because that's when the techniques she described in deta...more
Anne
Oct 19, 2012 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I read this very quickly, almost skimming. The whole cast of Carmela's friends and the NOLA aspects are quirky and I'm bored with them. I didn't care about the victim or who killed her. I am more interested in Carmela's relationship with Babcock. Since it is not a romance series, but mystery, I doubt it will ever be satisfying to me.
Melissa
Good mystery. I love reading about Carmela, Ava, and their crazy adventures. I only gave it 3 stars for a couple of reasons.

One: there are several editing errors. A silly as this sounds, I hate to read a paragraph describing a scene/outfit/whatever, and the very next paragraph it's different. Ex: Ava's wearing leather pants in the car and then she's wearing a skirt?

Second: the time frame. Every single book is based at the beginning of Mardi Gras. As fun as this may seem, I don't think every sin...more
Not my favorite in this series. Sadly, I think I am losing interest in this author's series. The last tea mystery had me struggling to finish, and this scrapbooking mystery felt the same way.
della
Another great Carmela and Ava adventure. Can't wait for the next one!
Cindy
Eh. Too much scrapbook crap. Too much Mardi Gras.
Sheila
Fun read . . .better then some of her other books.
Michelle
I enjoy her novels and this was no expection.
Ann
I keep getting drawn back into these books even though the heroine is nosy and gets herself into messes that could be avoided by just telling the police what is going on but NO. Carmella is a witness when a television reporter is hung from a balcony during Mardi Gras. Then she begins to receive postcards purportedly from the dead woman. Of cours she does not share this with the police and feels she knows how to solve things better than they and thus gets into trouble. It somehow is a pretty good...more
Elizabeth
Postcards from the Dead, by Laura Childs, evokes memories of New Orleans with her scrapbooking series that takes place in the French Quarter.

Carmela Bertrand finds herself packed into an elegant, but aging, suite in a New Orleans French Quarter hotel. She is the owner of Memory Mine, a scrapbooking shop located on a nearby street. There is an excited buzz among all the people crowded into this room, because the countdown for Mardi Gras is on and the denizens of New Orleans are all shaking off th...more
Lisa
Postcards from the Dead is the 10th book in the Scrapbooking Mystery Series. While I have not read all of the books in this series, I have read a good chunk of they and find that of all the cozy mystery series I have read, this is by far my favorite. I think in part this is because I scrapbook as my second hobby so I find the fact that Carmela owns Memory Mine, a scrapbooking store, to make a great setting. There is always some project going on and it is something new and interesting that I have...more
Aurian Booklover
I am such a big fan of Laura Childs’ work, she was one of the first cozy mystery authors I started to read, and her books never disappoint me. She is a master at painting the scene, the atmosphere, and of course her characters. This series is placed in New Orleans, and the city itself is a big secondary character. I love it.

Mardi Gras is in full swing in New Orleans, and KBEZ-TV is broadcasting live. Carmela Bertrand is waiting to be interviewed for the program in the ballroom of Hotel Tremain,...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: A dazzling night filled with gigantic floats, silver beads, dizzying lights, fire-twirling flambeaus, and a crowd that was fueled by too much Dixie Beer and Southern Comfort.

It is Mardi Gras season in New Orleans, one of the busiest times of year for Carmela Bertrand and her scrapbooking shop, Memory Mine. Since business still hasn't completely recovered from Hurricane Katrina, Carmela reluctantly agrees to do a puff piece on live television with her least favorite reporter, KBEZ-TV'...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a compelling mystery for me. The murder was compelling in that the victim was an annoying creature from several novels back. The characters were compelling in that we enjoy our favorites and are introduced to some down-right creepy creatures. The sub-mystery was as exciting as the murder and then the recipes which I swear I could smell and taste in my mind compelled me to make out a grocery list.

Scrapbook shop owner, Carmela Bertrand and her best friend, Ava are awaiting Carmela's turn...more
Charlene
I'm through with this series. I have to agree with Marge above, on this one. The characters get more ridiculous as the series goes on. Carmela's and Babcock's relationship gets more unbelievable. As a scrapbooker, Carmela falls short. She does more paper crafting than actual scrapbooking layouts of photos. I will not be reading another of this series. I am really sick of Carmela.
Angela Lynn Holland
As you all know I am a big fan of Laura's and her books. I have to say she did not disappoint me with this installment in this series. Carmela has a way of always finding herself in the middle of a murder and wants to help find the person who committed the crime. In the midst of solving the crime she starts getting getting creepy postcards and as she goes along more trouble comes her way. I like how Laura makes you think it could be a number of people as a suspect but waits until the very end to...more
Christine
I have read all of the books in this series and still enjoyed the characters and New Orleans setting. However, the plot of this one didn't grab me and I found myself skimming through some of the middle chapters to get through to the end.

It has the same great scrapbooking tips and recipes at the end as you would expect from this series, but not as many scenes with Carmela and her fellow scrapbookers as part of the main storyline. The way the author usually incorporates those scenes into the grea...more
Kathy
I have been a huge fan of Laura Childs for years. I enjoy all of her series. The Scrapbooking series is the series where I first discovered Laura's writing. Postcards From the Dead is the latest book in the Scrapbooking series.

It's Mardi Gras again in New Orleans. Carmela and her friend Ava are trying to hunt down the killer of tv reporter Kimber Breeze. Carmela's detective beau would like it if she kept her nose out of police business however Carmela is not one to back down from a mystery. Ther...more
Karen Young
Love these mysteries. Good story, but I really enjoy all the descriptions of New Orleans. Great recipes too
Amy Cox
DNF - It has good reviews but it's not my interests.
Marge Shaffer
Too predictable.
Jenny
This book was better than the previous one, with tantalizing clues and better developed plot and dialogue, though the ending was a little silly. More logical and better developed, so one more star.
Patricia
I think I was on page 180 or so when one of the characters exclaimed she and her friend were not yet 30. I laughed out loud because I had thought from the dialogue that both were card-carrying members of AARP! The voices of the characters and their attitudes are THAT far off! The most interesting character was actually the owner of the Oddities shop - every other character was a pathetic cliche. I would read this series in a waiting room. Otherwise, I will wince and avoid.
Sharon Chance
As usual, Laura Childs delivers a fun and fast moving mystery featuring the smart Carmela Bertrand and her sassy friend Ava as they solve yet another puzzling mystery in New Orleans.

I adore Laura Childs' books and find that each one gets better and better! Her Scrapbooking Mystery series is delightful, her Tea Shop Mysteries are deliciously fun, and her Cackleberry tales are a hoot! Any book with Laura's name of it is one that is guaranteed to please!
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
  • Book Clubbed (A Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Peril in Paperback  (A Bibliophile Mystery, #6)
  • A Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #15)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Engaged in Murder (Perfect Proposals #1)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
  • Buttons and Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #14)
  • Cast On, Kill Off (A Knitting Mystery, #10)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several...more
More about Laura Childs...
Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1) Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3) The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5) Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1)