Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!

Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Outrageous, fascinating and bizarre facts from every corner of the comic book universe

What comic book artist was the recipient of an on-stage thank you from Paul McCartney and an on-air apology from Johnny Carson? What superhero got his powers by being bitten by a mongoose? What popular NPR host was forever immortalized as a "bad boyfriend" in a notable comic book? In Why...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Plume

Stephen
If you happened to be looking for a philosophical treatise on why a fictitious crime fighter with a deathwish carries outrageously impractical protective equipment, you came to the wrong damn place, kimosabe.

The trivia wasn't all that amazing, the writing wasn't inspired, the research didn't involve any original stories (not so's I could tell, anyways), and the use of photos was unprofessional.

You know what might have been fun? Lists with a little bite to them. Lists like 10 Disgusting Hookups...more
Alvin Dantes
kind of fun. mostly fluff. easy read
Fraser Sherman
A Book of Lists-type collection covering topics such as Ten Strange Items in the Utility Belt, Six Weird Powers of Superman, Five Weird 1950s comic-book ads and Six Heroes Wolverine Has Stabbed, plus lists of Greatest Comics Artists/Characters/etc. compiled by polls or noted creators. Like most books of this sort, fluffy fun, though with a few striking pieces. Greg Pak’s discussion of how J. Jonah Jameson’s right-hand man Robbie Robertson being black impressed him as a kid is memorable, for inst...more
Tom Van Boening
There is so much great trivia in here, I was astonished! Some of this great comic book related information made me crack up laughing.

A fun read. Anyone who has read comics, or enjoyed other comic-book related media, this is a good quick read.
John Lamberth
Fun nuggets of comic book trivia. It's got something for almost everybody. Deep history for the hardcore fan; fun stuff for the casual fan.
Sometimes it had me question whether an entry was really worth my time, but I also ended up with a list of comics I'd like to track down and read. It might not have been QUITE as interesting as I hoped, but I'm a pretty picky long time comic junkie, so I set the bar pretty high.
Phil
This was OK. I'm not generally a fan of trivia books, but I do like comic books, so I wasn't sure if I should read it. While it did have plenty of pointless list (like why does Batman carry shark repellent), it also had a lot of interesting back story on comic books and creators, so it was a worthwhile read.
Trey
This book had a few interesting tidbits, and introduced me to a few comics I should be checking out. However, I was not a fan of the all-list structure. At some point, you just want to read a few paragraphs.
Steven
I do enjoy collections of trivial information, but this books of lists is unfortunately fairly dull...and not a patch on Cronin's previous book, Was Superman A Spy?.
Brian
Jul 06, 2012 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: media
This was a fun one. Lots of little facts, trivia, and top 5/10 lists. (And Batman doesn't carry shark repellent....Robin tossed it down from the Batcopter)
Quick and fun look at comic books through the ages. It's just a book of lists and trivia but well worth the limited amount of time it takes to read.
Brandt Mylott
A fun quick read. Packed with neat trivia in easy to digest list form. I would have liked to see more illustrations. Nerds only need apply!
Gregg

It was an interesting read. Not sure I'd reccomend it other than as a fluff piece with lots of facts
Ian
Fun book. Mostly skimmed it, reading parts that I could relate to (I am not a comic book connoisseur).
Ashley
Such a fun trivia book. I definitely recommend it to any fellow comic book fans!
Dan Woods
Great collection of random, little-known facts about the comic book industry!
Jace
It was interesting but I don't think I would read it again
Goran
Goran added it
May 14, 2014
Alanis Garcia
Alanis Garcia marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
John
John added it
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Free Book Giveaway: Comicbook trivia book give away 1 3 Jul 01, 2012 09:35AM
Was Superman a Spy?: And Other Comic Book Legends Revealed Great Poems for Grand Children Annual Review of Information Science and Technology: Volume 39 Auggie Wren's Christmas Story