Start by marking “Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!” as Want to Read:
Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!

Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Outrageous, fascinating and bizarre facts from every corner of the comic book universeWhat comic book artist was the recipient of an on-stage thank you from Paul McCartney and an on-air apology from Johnny Carson? What superhero got his powers by being bitten by a mongoose? What popular NPR host was forever immortalized as a "bad boyfriend" in a notable comic book? In Why ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?

If you happened to be looking for a philosophical treatise on why a fictitious crime fighter with a deathwish carries outrageously impractical protective equipment, you came to the wrong damn place, kimosabe.

The trivia wasn't all that amazing, the writing wasn't inspired, the research didn't involve any original stories (not so's I could tell, anyways), and the use of photos was unprofessional.

You know what might have been fun? Lists with a little bite to them. Lists like 10 Disgusting Hookups
This is just a fun little book with a bunch of comic-related lists, including a lot of lists from great comic book creators. The title question isn't really answered, but there's still plenty of trivia throughout it. It's worth reading if you're a fan of comic books.
Tom Van Boening
There is so much great trivia in here, I was astonished! Some of this great comic book related information made me crack up laughing.

A fun read. Anyone who has read comics, or enjoyed other comic-book related media, this is a good quick read.
Here's a book I read as a sort of survey to my comic book research, when I was trying to break into comics. I started it about a year ago, but finally finished it up. Genuinely fun, good trivia and hosted by a bunch of writers and artists of the comic book world. Proven fact that reciting lists from this book makes you 14x cooler, like when you can drop the "Who else has wielded Thor's hammer?" list to people fresh out of Avengers: Age of Ultron. (Captain America, Wonder Woman, Superman - movie ...more
Christy Stewart
Save yourself $10 and read these facts on Buzzfeed
Alvin Dantes
kind of fun. mostly fluff. easy read
Fraser Sherman
A Book of Lists-type collection covering topics such as Ten Strange Items in the Utility Belt, Six Weird Powers of Superman, Five Weird 1950s comic-book ads and Six Heroes Wolverine Has Stabbed, plus lists of Greatest Comics Artists/Characters/etc. compiled by polls or noted creators. Like most books of this sort, fluffy fun, though with a few striking pieces. Greg Pak’s discussion of how J. Jonah Jameson’s right-hand man Robbie Robertson being black impressed him as a kid is memorable, for inst ...more
It's not deep stuff, sure, but entertaining enough that I picked it up to flip through it and not only ended up reading the whole thing but also got some good comics recommendations.
John Lamberth
Fun nuggets of comic book trivia. It's got something for almost everybody. Deep history for the hardcore fan; fun stuff for the casual fan.
Sometimes it had me question whether an entry was really worth my time, but I also ended up with a list of comics I'd like to track down and read. It might not have been QUITE as interesting as I hoped, but I'm a pretty picky long time comic junkie, so I set the bar pretty high.
This was OK. I'm not generally a fan of trivia books, but I do like comic books, so I wasn't sure if I should read it. While it did have plenty of pointless lists (like why does Batman carry shark repellent), it also had a lot of interesting back story on comic books and creators, so it was a worthwhile read.
This book had a few interesting tidbits, and introduced me to a few comics I should be checking out. However, I was not a fan of the all-list structure. At some point, you just want to read a few paragraphs.
I do enjoy collections of trivial information, but this books of lists is unfortunately fairly dull...and not a patch on Cronin's previous book, Was Superman A Spy?.
Jul 06, 2012 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: media
This was a fun one. Lots of little facts, trivia, and top 5/10 lists. (And Batman doesn't carry shark repellent....Robin tossed it down from the Batcopter)
Quick and fun look at comic books through the ages. It's just a book of lists and trivia but well worth the limited amount of time it takes to read.
Brandt Mylott
A fun quick read. Packed with neat trivia in easy to digest list form. I would have liked to see more illustrations. Nerds only need apply!

It was an interesting read. Not sure I'd reccomend it other than as a fluff piece with lots of facts
Fun book. Mostly skimmed it, reading parts that I could relate to (I am not a comic book connoisseur).
Such a fun trivia book. I definitely recommend it to any fellow comic book fans!
Dan Woods
Great collection of random, little-known facts about the comic book industry!
It was interesting but I don't think I would read it again
Abraham Ray
Nice book, I'm glad I own a copy!
Ben Davis
Ben Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Mohsin marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Karl marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Luke marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Colleen Nord
Colleen Nord marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Jeremy Hancock
Jeremy Hancock marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
favorite list? 1 1 Dec 05, 2014 09:56AM
Free Book Giveaway: Comicbook trivia book give away 1 4 Jul 01, 2012 09:35AM
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • Secret Lives of Great Composers: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the World's Musical Masters
  • Wonder Woman: The Story of the Amazon Princess
  • The Slackers Guide to U.S. History: The Bare Minimum on Discovering America, the Boston Tea Party, the California Gold Rush, and Lots of Other Stuff Dead White Guys Did
  • Minutes to Midnight: Twelve Essays on Watchmen
  • Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics
  • Teenagers from the Future: Essays on the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Ask Me Anything
  • DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide
  • DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society
  • Our Gods Wear Spandex: The Secret History of Comic Book Heroes