Start by marking “Resolve: From the Jungles of WW II Bataan, A Story of a Soldier, a Flag, and a Promise Ke pt” as Want to Read:

On April 9, 1942, thousands of U.S. soldiers surrendered as the Philippines’ island of Luzon fell to the Japanese. A few hundred Americans placed their faith in their own hands and headed for the jungles.

One of them was Clay Conner Jr.—a twenty-three-year-old Army Air Force communications officer who had never even camped before…

The obstacles to Conner’s survival were as
Published November 6th 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Resolve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resolve

Todd Hufford
Jan 01, 2013 Todd Hufford rated it it was amazing
Resolve is the amazing story of Clay Conner Jr's Survival in the Philippines during WWII.

Watch this, it is amazing.!/patrio...
Feb 02, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommended by a friend who knows the son of the main character. So hard to read when you know it really happened.
Chuck Walsh
May 29, 2015 Chuck Walsh rated it really liked it
Having two uncles who fought in the Philippines, with one of those enduring the Bataan Death March, I had a strong desire to read this book. Bob Welch does an excellent job putting us in the jungles with Clay Conner. To read about what Conner did to stay alive for almost 3 years was gut wrenching and yet heart warming.
Thank you Bob Welch for keeping alive what these incredible men accomplished in fighting for our country.
Jan 07, 2016 Lauren added it
Amazing story of bravery , loyalty and resourcefulness. A handful of US soldiers avoided the Japanese for two years in the Phillipine jungle, despite lack of food, illness and the need for constant relocation. This book is nicely written, though it is not destined to be a classic war memoir. Nevertheless, the story is compelling and the book is definitely worth reading for anyone with an interest in WWII.
Jan 04, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
What a book! While leaving church a few weeks ago, I spotted a bumper sticker advertising this book. The title looked great, and when I looked it up on the web, the fact that it was a war story of survival and courage inspired me to read it. After my wife bought me a Kindle for Christmas ('13), it was a done deal. This book opened my eyes to some of the realities of war in the Philippines during WW2. It was an incredible story of perseverance, endurance, adventure, etc... The title is terrific f ...more
Apr 21, 2014 Chad rated it really liked it
Well written story by one of our local newspaper writers. The philippines campaign always seems to get less info than the the European theater of WWII so there was some good historical knowledge here as well as a compelling story.
Aug 20, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Terrific story of Batan death march and survival of a few who spent 4 years in the jungle to survive WWII.
Charissa Ty
May 22, 2016 Charissa Ty rated it liked it
I can tell you one thing for sure, Neal Shusterman was definitely inspired from this American hero in his Unwind trilogies. Conner, Connor the AWOL who saved the world. This book is alright.
Jan 04, 2014 Colin rated it it was amazing
Interesting to me, I know most of the places in this book. I was able to visit many of them when I lived in the Philippines back in the mid-1970s. Besides that, this was a very good read, but not a complete history, since that is not possible. I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the history of WW2 from the viewpoint of the individual soldier,
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 24, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history, world-war-ii
During World War II when Americans forces in the Philippines surrendered to the Japanese, several hundred Americans took to the hills instead or were able to escape during the Bataan Death March. Lt. Clay Connor, Jr., was one of those refusing to surrender. Resolve is the story of his struggel to survive and form a guerrilla unit. It provides a uniques cross section of the islands, pulling no punches.
Kara Larson
Nov 06, 2013 Kara Larson rated it liked it
Riveting in the first 2/3rds of the story. Seemed to run on a little too long in the end. Did a good job of explaining the different factions (Fillipinos, Negritos, and Huks) involved in the resistance. I was completely ignorant of the existence of the Negritos in particular, and have an even greater appreciation for how wonderful the people of the Phillipines are.
Jan 09, 2013 Vickie rated it really liked it
The inner strength of a college cheer leader and his ability to survive the atrocities that he is thrown into during World War II. This true story is another testament of why that generation of men and women are called 'The Greatest Generation'.
Kurt Young
Mar 02, 2013 Kurt Young rated it it was amazing
An amazing story. Well, amazing doesn't really cover it. Remarkable... Astounding... Unbelievable...

Pick your adjective.

Clay Connor Jr.'s story of survival in the Jungles of Bataan after the fall of Corregidor in World War II.

Sheri Struk
Apr 08, 2013 Sheri Struk rated it really liked it
Great book about a WWII hero in the Philippines during the Japanese takeover of the island and the American recovery of power later in the war.
Aug 19, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Great and interesting story of a survivor from the Bataan Death March in the Philippines in 1942.
Feb 07, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
This was a story about WW2 in Bataan that I was unaware of. Well done.
Jason Heck
Jason Heck is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Charles Kato
Charles Kato marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Damaris marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Steve Reed
Steve Reed rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Aoife McAtamney
Aoife McAtamney marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Krista Jensen
Krista Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jenean Eichenholtz
Jenean Eichenholtz marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kathleen Ciccariello
Kathleen Ciccariello rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2016
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kevin rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Steve marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Sheila marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016