Trust Your Eyes

Trust Your Eyes

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,834 ratings  ·  886 reviews
The NAL debut and must-read thriller from #1 international bestselling author Linwood Barclay.

Thomas Kilbride is a map-obsessed schizophrenic so affected that he rarely leaves the self-imposed bastion of his bedroom. But with a computer program called Whirl360.com, he travels the world while never stepping out the door. That is until he sees something in a street view of d...more
Published September 4th 2012 by NAL Hardcover (first published January 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Your Eyes

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
278th out of 1,480 books — 3,686 voters
The Devil Take You by H.K. CarltonYou Found Me by H.K. CarltonReflection by Kim CresswellStairway to Awesomeness! by Comic Strip MamaNatasha's Diary by Heather Greenis
Books by authors above the 49th paralell--cannucks!
32nd out of 263 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Delee
3.5

Anyone who has seen my book recommendation request list would know I am a big fan of novels that have the main character witnessing a crime/murder through a window. One of my favorite books from my early teens was "The Undertaker's Gone Bananas" by Paul Zindel, and as I got older, Cornell Woolrich's short story "It had to be Murder" (Rear Window) was added to my favorites list- Rear Window is also in my top ten movies list-Hitchcock one of my favorite directors...So when I saw reviews of TRUS...more
Arah-Lynda
Stephen King says it best. My idea of a sweet ride is three days of rain, a fridge filled with snacks, and a new Linwood Barclay.

Right on. I picked this one up at the beginning of my last weekend. I just happened to be in my sweet spot………ready to select my next read.

King also said that it’s a tale Hitchcock would have loved and once again, he is spot on.

I have come to think of Barclay’s books as domestic thrillers. These things could happen to you or me. Today or tomorrow. This one is top notch...more
Robin
While Linwood Barclay is popular in our library, he still deserves to be as best-selling as Harlan Coben (which is why I said Barclay is the Rodney Dangerfield of thriller writers). He sides more on the domestic side of weird goings on such as disappearances, conspiracies, and murders, and his characters are always likeable every day kind of guys. This will make you look at Google Earth in a different and chilling way.

This is due in September.
CuteBadger
Ray Kilbride finds his life turned upside down when the accidental death of his father means having to move back home to look after his adult brother Thomas, who has schizophrenia. Thomas believes he is doing important work relating the safety of the USA, but while studying a mapping website he thinks he sees a murder in New York. Ray is despatched to investigate – is there anything to be found, or is it all in his brother’s head?

This is a really difficult book to review it would be really easy...more
Tony
TRUST YOUR EYES. (2012). Linwood Barclay. ****.
I don’t remember for sure, but I think I read a review of this thriller in Marilyn Stasio’s column in the New York Times Book Review. This is the first encounter I’ve had with this author, and I almost put it back into my library book bag when I realized it was 498-pages long. Another turn-off was the one-word blurb on the front cover from Stephen King: “Riveting.” This could have referred to the length or the weight of the book based on King’s typ...more
Louise
TRUST YOUR EYES (LINWOOD BARCLAY)

Story Description:

Doubleday Canada|September 4, 2012|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-385-66957-3

Thomas Kilbride is a map-obsessed schizophrenic so affected that he rarely leaves the self-imposed bastion of his bedroom. But with a computer program called Whirl360.com, he travels the world while never so much as stepping out the door. He pores over and memorizes the streets of the world. He examines every address, as well as the people who are frozen in time on his com...more
Anne
Linwood Barclay is a hugely successful author. His back catalogue include his memoir Last Resort, a series of comic thrillers featuring the character Zach Walker and seven very popular stand-alone novels. The first of these stand-alones is No Time For Goodbye which was the single bestselling novel in the UK in 2008, and has been optioned for a movie.

Linwood Barclay's latest release Trust Your Eyes will be published in the UK by Orion on 27 September 2012.

Trust Your Eyes hooked me in from the fir...more
Diane S.
There are parts of this story that I liked better than others. Loved the two brothers and the modern day take on Rear Window, this was a very clever device on the part of Barclay. Using a schizophrenic really added to this story and I enjoyed the map meanderings by this brother. I think in part the author added to many elements to this story, too many different plots, which made some of them not very believable to me. Do love this author and his writing style and look forward to his next book.
Barbara Kinsky
If ever there was a best thriller of the year, this is it! With so much twists and turns as well as colorful characters, I just could not put this book down. Thomas is so delightfully funny! Well done, Mr Barclay. You have really created a masterpiece and I look forward to now reading your latest book!
Luanne Ollivier
Trust Your Eyes is the latest book from Canadian author Linwood Barclay. In tiny letters on the front cover it also says 'A Thriller.' This really should read A THRILLLER. Barclay is always good for a wild ride of a read, but this time he's outdone himself!

Thomas Kilbride loves maps. When a new computer program called Whirl360 is released he is in heaven. He can continue his 'work' - memorizing the streets of all the major cities in the world.

"You picked a spot anywhere on the globe and initiall...more
Darcia Helle
The premise for this book fascinated me, and the opening pages sucked me right in. Barclay is, no doubt, a talented author and knows how to weave a good story. Unfortunately, this book didn't quite measure up to its promise.

The problems I had:

The pace is slow. The entire middle of the book drags, with information repeated and dwelled on so often that I had almost all of the plot figured out long before we got there.

Thomas, while an interesting character, struck me more as someone with high-fun...more
Michael
I can always count on certain things when I read Linwood Barclay's novels, interesting characters, nail biting suspense and a great story.

In "Trust Your Eyes," Ray Kilborne, a man you might meet anyplace, comes home for his father's funeral. Then he must decide what to do with his brother, Tom. Tom is schizophrenic and spends most of his time glued to his computer.

Tom has a computer program called Whirl 360 which has a website that allows him to look at actual streets of cities around the world...more
Aarushi
Thrillers usually aren’t my cup of tea but this one did have me engrossed, wanting to know what was going to happen next. It was interesting to see how the different characters (as diverse as a thirty-something schizophrenic guy who travels the world using a computer program a la Google maps, the bisexual wife of a prospective governor and an ex-Olympic gymnast turned assassin) linked together.

However, when I finished, it just felt like I’d read a book that had the pretext of the movie Rear Wind...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Read my mini review here...

Or below...

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay was such an unexpected pleasure. Unexpected because I have a tendency of figuring out the mystery in mystery novels. It is rare when I can be fooled by the ending in a good mystery novel. I usually see the twists early on. That’s why books like Trust Your Eyes are such a rare treat. This book had me fooled over and over again. It was so unique in its storyline and the plot twists ha...more
Cher
4.5 stars. Really enjoyed this one, which was the first novel I have read by Barclay. The story quickly pulls you in and never drops to a slow pace, yet it is not one of those action packed thrillers that overdoes it with describing the frenetic antics of the hero narrowly dodging one danger after another (I don't enjoy that type of thriller). The author has a great knack of ending each chapter with a sentence that makes you think, Ok, just one more chapter. Will definitely look for more novels...more
Sarah5
'Trust your eyes' is the gripping new thriller from Canadian author, Linwood Barclay. The novel centres around two brothers, Ray Kilbride and Thomas, who suffers from Schizophrenia. Thomas spends his time obsessively checking a website called Whirl360 which maps out the whole world which he is able to memorise. One day, he spots what looks like a murder in a window of a New York department and Thomas becomes determined to solve this mystery - but at what cost?

This is a fantastic page-turner, fil...more
Charlotte
This is the first Linwood Barclay novel I’ve read and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not the usual sort of thing I read so I was somewhat reluctant to start it but it was much better than I expected. It’s not a literary novel and it doesn’t claim to be. It’s a good, no-nonsense thriller sort of novel.
Thomas Kilbride is in his thirties but he spends most of his time in his room using a street view website called Whirl360 to study and memorize cities around the world. He beli...more
Alla

“Trust your eyes” by Linwood Barclay follows Thomas Kilbridge, a schizophrenic who is in love with maps and the computer program Whirl360 which gives him the opportunity to see the world—when, while web-surfing New York City using Whirl 360, he sees someone’s head sticking out of the window and covered by a plastic bag. A murder is in process. He decides to get his brother Ray involved in investigating the matter and sends him to the place of the crime.

In a parallel plot, Morris Sawchuck is run...more
Michael
Linwood Barclay's latest thriller Trust Your Eyes has receive a lot of pre-publication buzz, capped off with a cover blurb and recommendation by Stephen King. Most of the time, if King recommends a novel, I'll pick it up and try it because I've had good luck with King recommendations in the past (it was King's recommendation in EW that turned me on to the genius that is Laura Lippman).

And for the first half of Trust Your Eyes, I agreed completely with King--the book is riveting and a page-turne...more
Shonna Froebel
I think one reason Linwood Barclay's books are so successful is that his characters are ordinary people, people like you and me. The things that happen to them, while threatening and sometimes fatal, are things that could happen to anyone. It's all a matter of coincidence, timing, and circumstances. His characters are just going about their daily life, when something they do intersects with something that someone dangerous is doing. And things move quickly from there.
Here, we have Ray, an illust...more
David Roberts
I am reviewing the novel Trust No One by Linwood Barclay which is an excellent thriller which I bought from a local supermarket. This book is Linwood's version of the classic Hitchcock film Rear Window and is doing well in the British Bestseller Paperback Chart. His books are consistently good and I really enjoyed reading this novel. The plot is a man with a psychiatric disorder & whose father has recently died goes around mentally photographing and exploring cities around because he also ha...more
Ms.pegasus
Jul 21, 2013 Ms.pegasus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fast summer suspense thriller
Shelves: fiction, suspense
A glimpse of something not quite right, an overheard conversation that can't be happening, a fatal accident in a quiet upstate New York suburb, old secrets, and political conspiracy – all these elements converge in this satisfying thriller. The narrative is driven by some predictable tactics: short chapters ending frequently in cliff-hangers; a wide swathe of suspicious events, the partnership of Ray and a plucky heroine, Julie McGill, a local girl who has returned to town as a journalist for th...more
Glenn Sumi
It’s been a really hectic week, so I wanted to lose myself in an escapist (but well-written) thriller. This book – the first I've read by author Linwood Barclay, former Toronto Star columnist – more than did the trick. I literally couldn’t put Trust Your Eyes down. It’s the kind of book where if I found myself with an extra 10 minutes during the day, I’d crack it open.

Thomas Kilbride, who’s been diagnosed with schizophrenia, has always been obsessed with maps. Now an adult, he spends nearly all...more
Joyce
I've read other Linwood Barclay books that I've liked okay--but this one really hit me. (Either it's actually better or I was in the mood for this kind of book; it's a toss-up) Comparisons to Harlan Coben are spot on. The suspense builds at a slow burn and even after the resolution there's an incredibly chilling twist. Took my breath away. It wasn't extraordinarily well-read; one narrator handles Ray's first person tale while the other does all the third person parts, and I normally wouldn't the...more
Marleen
Listening to Trust Your Eyes in audio-version absolutely worked for me. Each evening I looked forward getting home from work and start cooking while listening & catching up with Ray Kilbride and his brother Thomas.
The premise of this captivating read has a very modern, Rear Window-feel to it - two brothers are living together after their father's death, and one brother - Thomas - is mentally challenged (but highly funcioning) and rarely leaves the house. Instead he explores the world through...more
Carole
Linwood Barclay is one of my favourite thriller authors, I couldn't put down No Time For Goodbye or Too Close to Home - they were both psychological thrillers that kept you guessing whodunnit and what happened until very near the end whereas this book is more of a thriller where you know fairly early what Thomas sees in the window and it is more about the aftermath.

Thomas (35 years old) is an interesting but vulnerable character, he spends his days on the computer travelling the world, he calls...more
Dale
Published in 2012 by NAL (New American Library)

Linwood Barclay. I came across him almost by accident about 3 years ago and he is one of my favorite authors to go looking for. He doesn't write series (at least not anymore) so you can just jump in and go for a ride. His books feature regular guys who get stuck in an extraordinary circumstance not of their making.

In Trust Your Eyes two grown brothers are re-united due to the death of their father. One of the brothers (Ray) is a political cartoonist...more
Annie Michelle
A 5 star most excellent read!
This book was fantastic! I was turning pages as fast as I could, burning dinner, ignoring the phone….what a ride! The ending smacked me sideways…. oh no he didn’t!
I love the prologue as I also was fascinated by “Whirl 360.com” when it first came out, I scoped out my Sons driveway in Oregon and told him I liked his new truck, but I live in Mn, he freaked out! Oh, I digress…..
Ray Kilbride comes home for the funeral of his father Adam after a seemingly accidental death...more
Alison Jones
This latest Linwood Barclay book is a feast of conspiracy that had me eating
the pages hungrily. The original plot and its ingredient characters is a
recipe for success.
Thomas Kilbride is gifted but flawed. He spends his life in the attic
memorizing city street plans on the Whirl 360 website believing that he
is working for the CIA. When his brother Ray comes home after their
father's death, both have adjustments to make, and when Thomas tells Ray
he has seen a murder on the internet, Ray has no...more
Kerry
I was left feeling slightly disappointed by Linwood Barclays' new offering ‘Trust Your Eyes’. The story starts simply with Thomas viewing streets over the internet using Whirl360 (like our Street View on Google Earth) and sees something that makes him suspicious. He tries to tell his brother, Ray, who at first doesn’t listen and then doesn’t believe him. Thomas is a schizophrenic and sits in his room all day viewing and memorising streets all over the world – and insists the president and CIA ha...more
Gore and More: My Review Of Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay 4 13 Apr 27, 2014 06:49PM
Linwood Barclay review - Trust Your Eyes 27 125 Sep 22, 2013 02:45PM
audio book? 1 16 Aug 28, 2012 12:08PM
  • The Survivor
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • They Disappeared
  • Collecting Cooper: A Thriller
  • Airtight
  • Rage Against the Dying (Brigid Quinn, #1)
  • Never Coming Back (David Raker, #4)
  • Syndrome E
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)
  • Spilled Blood
  • 15 Seconds
  • The Burning Air
After spending his formative years helping run a cottage resort and trailer park after his father died when he was 16, Linwood Barclay got his first newspaper job at the Peterborough Examiner, a small Ontario daily. In 1981, he joined the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest circulation newspaper.

He held such positions as assistant city editor, chief copy editor, news editor, and Life section editor, be...more
More about Linwood Barclay...
No Time for Goodbye Never Look Away The Accident Too Close to Home Fear the Worst