Start by marking “Practically Wicked” as Want to Read:
Practically Wicked

Practically Wicked (Haverston Family #3)

For some, virtue is a vice

As the illegitimate daughter of a scandalous woman, Miss AnnaRees is almost as well known for having been raised in the hedonistic demimonde as she is for her quiet nature. Anna longs to leave behind her mother’s world of courtesans…until she unexpectedly meets the handsome, charming and decidedly wicked Lord Dane. If only she could convince him t
Mass Market Paperback, 328 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Practically Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practically Wicked

Jill
Oct 08, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

Miss Anna Rees, The Ice Maiden of Anover House is said to be reclusive and spoilt. But Lord Maximilian Dane finds her anything but cold and unsociable. When he stumbles (literally) across Anna at the famous high-classed brothel, slightly drunk and trying to drown his sorrows at inheriting the title of viscount from his late brother, he's immediately attracted to the charming Anna. And he tells her he will call upon her in the coming week.

For Anna this is her first real conversation with any gent
Rachel (BAVR)
Jan 28, 2013 Rachel (BAVR) rated it liked it
In the vast mob of Regency romance authors, Alissa Johnson is one of the few I'll read faithfully. I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe because her characters aren't so dumb that their anachronistic little brains fall out of their stupid heads? Johnson writes characters with at least a modicum of intelligence who mostly act appropriately for the time period.

It's telling that I will read most of an HR author's work on the premise that her characters aren't quite as fucking dumb as others in
Sans
Apr 05, 2013 Sans rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rocked-my-socks

Sums up my reaction after finishing this awesomesauce book in one day.
BUR 2012
May 06, 2013 BUR 2012 rated it liked it
Reading this book left me feeling slightly unsatisfied, in part due to my own expectations formed from its intriguing premise, which might have set me up for some disappointments.

Anna Rees had grown up with her mother in the demimonde, living a cloistered life until one night when she encounters Viscount Maximilian Dane, who, despite being drunk, fascinated her in his charming demeanor. Max was equally enchanted with the innocent Anna, who had never seen such a mix of refreshing honesty and shy
Kinga
Jun 19, 2015 Kinga rated it really liked it
Guess what did I just do?
Well, instead of studying like a normal student would before The Anatomy exam, I started this book this morning as a relaxation. I said to myself, just ten minutes while I drink my coffee.
And guess what. I just finished the book. No break needed, no fussing around like when I'm studying. No. I sat there very calmly and read the whole effing book. And it was worth it. I guess.
It was a great distraction, one I really needed. And now I'm satisfied with my new calm state.
Lynn Spencer
I still remember the first time I read Georgette Heyer's Venetia. I loved that story because the intelligent characters made me want, more than anything, for them to fall in love and live happily ever after. I found myself having similar feelings as I read Practically Wicked by Alissa Johnson. The characters utterly charmed me, and the dialogue just sparkled as I flew through the pages of a book I didn't want to end.

Readers in Romancelandia have grown accustomed to rakes as heroes, but in this n
Ana Maria Rînceanu
I really liked the characters and the writing style, but this book needed to be 80 pages shorter.
CJ Patrick
Jan 22, 2013 CJ Patrick rated it really liked it
I am so glad I read this book. It is my first Alissa Johnson and it really met all my expectations. This book has been garnering some really good reviews and it deserves them. Anna Reese is completely believable as her role as a sheltered, hidden child of an aging courtesan who just wants to escape. She is naive, but extremely well-educated thanks to her governess/companion. It was a shock to me when her actual age is revealed at the end of the book.

Max is the perfect foil for her. He is initia
Lucina
Feb 06, 2013 Lucina rated it really liked it
4.0 Sterne

Am Anfang war ich überrascht, dass die Geschichte 4 Jahre nach dem kennenlernen spielt und es ein Missverständnis zwischen beiden gab, für das beide nichts können. Ich war überrascht, da ich vom Klappentext her etwas anderes erwartet hätte, sodass es wenigstens am Anfang ein paar Überraschungen gab, wenn auch nicht später.

Was der Roman ist:

- eine außergewöhnliche Heldin
- einen nicht ganz
Karen
Nov 03, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
This is almost ALL character development. Not much in the way of action but that's what I liked about it. I love when characters are mature and slowly develop their relationships.

There wasn't a lot of drama though and Lord Dane wasn't particularly wicked. Which is fine....I loved him but with little to no conflict and not enough steamy sex scenes it felt a little slow.

Practically Wicked would be a good book when you want a slow simmering romance with two intelligent characters that you can't hel
Marguerite Butler
Mar 07, 2013 Marguerite Butler rated it it was amazing
So sweet and satisfying. THIS is how heroes should be done. And heroines. I could see them as real people, not overdone stereotypes. If you are as tired as I am with alpha assholes and TSTL( too stupid to live) heroines, well have I got a book for you.
Catherine
Review to come.

*For a sneak peek, check out my Tempting Teaser on Fiction Vixen*
Macaron
Nov 04, 2012 Macaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
The exchanges between the heroine and hero are excellent. Several very funny passages,sometimes you can't keep from laughing out loud. Indeed, a keeper.
Fiona
Nov 08, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Enjoyable

Finished the trilogy and enjoyed these characters. Wished there was more interaction of the characteres in the other books and not just a passing mention to really bring the trilogy together.
(Eirene) Sleepless Romantics
Practically Wicked is sweet and quite romantic. The focus of the book was on Viscount Max Dane and Miss Anna Rees. The conflict was how Miss Anna Rees’ reputation, thanks to her mother, might affect the future of this reluctantly blooming romance. Anna, despite or rather due to the fact that her mother is one of the most infamous ladies in the demimonde, suffers from the immense need to separate herself from the ton and the demimonde. She is well too aware of how she is viewed by society and ...more
Renae
After three solid books in a row, I think we can officially be certain that Alissa Johnson is one of my favorite historical romance authors. Practically Wicked was charming, sweet, and enjoyable from start to finish. I loved how Max and Anna’s story had familiar elements but at the same time wasn’t exactly what I expected. Really, the entire book just made me exceedingly happy.

Johnson’s type of romance consists of lighthearted but real stories about mature adults. But as cute as her books are, t
Gayle
Jun 29, 2014 Gayle rated it liked it
REVIEW

Anna Rees had grown up with her mother living a sheltered life until she meets Viscount Maximilian Dane, fascinated her, even though he was drunk. He had a charming aura about him.This wasn't a one sided admiration. Max was in awe of the Innocent Anna. He had never been around anyone who was so charmingly honest and sweetly shy. They had a meeting planned but due to circumstances that meeting didn't take place until 4 years later. They both ran into each other when Anna went to visit her n
Lindy
Mar 03, 2013 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for TwoLips Reviews, LLC
4 1/2 Kisses, ) peppers (M/F sweet romance)

When Viscount Maximilian Dane first meets Miss Anna Rees, he's drunk and just inherited his title. He's not pleased to have inherited the responsibility. Despite his stupor, he manages to see the allure of Anna, which is contrary to her reputation of being a spoiled Ice Queen. For her part, Anna is sure she is simultaneously the most notorious and the most boring spinster in the world. He promises to call on her the fol
Martha
What a fun and entertaining story. I really enjoyed this journey with Max and Anna, it was full of wonderful chemistry and witty interaction between the two, I even caught myself laughing out loud a couple of times. Great story.
Charlotte
I do so like Alissa Johnson. Her stories flow well, the writing is good, there is a a sprinkling of wit, but most of all, she is very good at characters.

Our heroine, Anna Rees, is a illegitimate daughter of a courtesan and a peer. She has been a recluse at her mother's house, but finally breaks free and gets to know her family. She is both strong and self-assured, yet bears the marks of her unconventional and isolated upbringing. The way she was sometimes a bit socially awkward rang very true fo
Sandy Digger
Practically Wicked

This is the story of Anna Rees, the daughter of a courtesan and a Marquess. Her mother has kept her from society and the public in general and only paraded her out for special occasions and only from a balcony. Her mother is such a practiced liar that she isn't even sure how old she is. One night a young Viscount manages to find his way onto her floor of the house and runs into Anna. He is drunk and mourning his dead brother (the reason he is now a viscount) and sits down in th
1.5 stars rounded to 2.

I think I like this book the least of this series. The H was pretty dense and the story was a bit boring.

What I liked:
1) Engaging and easy to read as always. The banter was witty and fun
2) The h. She's pretty innocent in some ways and wise in others. I felt very bad for her lack of familial love and felt like she made good decisions, not based on fear but on what was realistic.
3) Seeing the MCs from the first book of the series.
4) No ow/om drama.

What I didn't like:
Lord Rose
While reading this book, I discovered that I had actually read the previous book in the series, but that I'd forgotten I had. Actually, I remembered having it in my TBR pile, and I remember returning it to the library at some point, but I thought I'd returned it unread. So I was slightly surprised when I actually (kind of) remembered what had happened in it.

Anyway, I quite liked this book. The hero was, as the heroine said, adorable. (Even if he was not particularly thrilled by the label.)

The re
Elen
Sep 15, 2013 Elen rated it really liked it
an easy read. the writing is very good. it flows very smoothly - a vital ability for authors, but many of HRs i recently read felt somewhat amatuerish, so I really appreciated the good writing here. The plot was relatively simple - no revenge, no secret but just two people falling in love despite difference between them. I absolutely LOVED the author didn't contrive ridiculous plot twists or try to make their romance unbelievably easy. They have disagreements. They don't settle it outright; as ...more
Sandra
May 17, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it
What I particularly liked about this book was that the misunderstanding about him visiting when they first met is resolved quite early and the rest of the book is devoted to the development of their relationship which evolves naturally over the course of the stroy. I like that there was no great misunderstanding them keeping them apart after they had fallen in love (the conflict was there based on there differing positions but they never doubted their feelings). Sometimes there is a risk that a ...more
Karla
Aug 17, 2014 Karla rated it really liked it
Turned away by her controlling mother, Max encounters Anna again when she visits her just-discovered half brother. The two fall in love during morning walks through the countryside as Anna gets to know her new family.

After a dry spelling where historical romances are concerned, I've found one I thoroughly enjoyed. I've read so many historical romances with ridiculous plots that it was a relief to read such a simple story. I loved how the two characters spend a lot of time together, how the plot
Ashley
Aug 01, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I have loved Alissa Johnson since I read her Providence series, but this just reminded me of why I love her work so much. The characters felt like people. They had their own individual traits and faults. The had misunderstandings that they actually CLEARED UP! I felt bad for Anna, but she remained a lady, regardless of how she was treated. I was actually really happy when they got their HEA. They deserved it. It was a legitimate love story. I will read anything this author puts out. ...more
Samantha Brody
3.5 stars: Also delightful! Misunderstandings & second chance romances & found families (also my weaknesses, also not necessarily in that order).

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy dumb pining boys and girls who have things to do (not including dumb boys)?

This one could have used a bit more external plot/dramas to keep things tidily moving along, but beyond that, I was pretty happy with this book. More Alissa Johnson please.
Arshia
Oct 17, 2012 Arshia rated it really liked it
I liked Anna's discovery of her own character. It was a new twist to character development. She is the Ice Maiden of Anover House, or so everyone, including Lord Maximillian Dane, thinks of her. A pretty but uninteresting daughter of a courtesan. However, a chance meeting between Lord Dane and Anna changes his opinion. Max's character seemed like a secondary character to me compared to Anna. It was Anna's story and her journey.
Debra
Aug 17, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful written

I enjoyed every page of this book and you will to.
I recommend this book to all lovers of this era. A.J.
I wish you continue success in all you write and I look forward to reading your books. Thanks for a wonderful story most of all I love the honesty in the between Dane and his lady. And I have read more books than you can imagine and this was the first where honesty made for a happy ending. D.H. from New York City
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 06:33AM
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • One Wild Night
  • The Duke's Match Girl (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • A Gentle Grace (Wedded Women Quartet, #4)
  • In For a Penny
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Passion and Propriety (Hearts of Honour, Book 1)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • Untamed
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • For the Earl's Pleasure
  • The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1)
  • A Lady's Revenge (Nexus, #1)
  • Rude (House Of Payne, #4)
  • That Scandalous Summer (Rules for the Reckless, #1)
  • Untie My Heart
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
1983627
Alissa Johnson lives in the rolling hills of the Ozarks, where she is hard at work on her next romance.

More about Alissa Johnson...

Haverston Family (3 books)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • An Unexpected Gentleman

“Courage is doing what is needed despite one’s fear. Without the fear, it’s merely . . . fearlessness.” He” 0 likes
“I suppose one’s view of that world is dependent upon how one arrived there, and whether or not one is allowed to leave.” 0 likes