The Farm (The Farm, #1)

The Farm (The Farm #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,775 ratings  ·  542 reviews
Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Fa...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Berkley Trade (first published August 1st 2012)

Opal by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Darkest Minds by Alexandra BrackenFalling Kingdoms by Morgan RhodesThe Farm by Emily McKayTimekeeper by Alexandra Monir
December 2012
4th out of 126 books — 249 voters
Opal by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Farm by Emily McKayThe Darkest Minds by Alexandra BrackenFalling Kingdoms by Morgan RhodesFurthermore by Rebekah Campbell
December 2012 YA & MG Releases
2nd out of 19 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, well. Color me impressed. If you would have told me, three months ago, that someone could still offer an original take on vampires, I’d probably have laughed in your face. So far we’ve seen nightwalkers, daywalkers, vegetarian vampires, vampires with magical powers, sparkly vampires, bloodthirsty monsters, gorgeous vampires, hairless ugly vampires, and just about everything else you can possibly think of. But Ticks? Trust me, they’re new.

They’re not quite vampires, true, but genetically al...more
Mitch
I really liked The Farm... until I didn't. I guess this is another case of me getting the wrong impression from the description; that's happened a lot to me lately, but, most of the time, it's the teaser giving away too much. In this case, just the opposite, because the minute I got to what Carter's secret was, my enthusiasm for this book instantly went to zero. Let's just say it's not a good sign when your own characters are making fun of how stupid the plot twists are.

From the description, I'm...more
Kelly Hashway
Wow! Just wow! This book grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. The story is told in multiple POV. Lily dominates the story, but Carter and Mel both have some chapters along the way. While I gravitated toward Lily and her protective nature, always worrying more about her sister, Mel, than anything else, I really loved the chapters told by Mel. She's autistic and boy does the girl have an interesting mind. She really adds depth to the story.

Lily is only concerned about Mel and her own...more
Nicole
I liked that this book was on the border of YA and Adult, it dealt with the age range of Young Adult, but at the same time, it didn't skirt around issues that teenagers face normally. I've noticed that most YA won't curse or really address the issue of sex, but this book managed to cover what it really was like for teenagers before their world exploded and then what it was like after.

I really liked that this book could double as a YA for more mature readers within the genre. While there isn't se...more
Misty Baker
The other day, while I was surrounded by hordes of rabid book fans, I was asked a question. A question that was rather elementary when it came right down to it, but still incredibly intriguing. One that (if I’m being honest) I’m surprised is being asked now; 3 years into my reviewing journey. It was:

“What are you tired of?”

My first thought (naturally) was laundry. I have no idea how my children manage to wear everything they own in a single week, but alas…they do, therefore I’m up to my elbows i...more
Giselle
Apr 24, 2012 Giselle marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
HELLS TO THE YEAH!!
*drool*
MUST HAZ!!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

Like its cover, Emily McKay's The Farm is exceedingly dark and creepy, filled with the kinds of vampires that are never going to make swoon-inducing heroes. The Farm reminded me somewhat of The Passage and of The Immortal Rules, both in tone and vampire-ness.

In The Farm, the world has been overrun by Ticks. No, not the bugs. Humans-turned-monsters that feed on human blood. As is the case in roughly 37% of post-apocalyptic fiction, scientific research i...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

For some reason or another I had really high expectations for this (I think it was the cover), sadly I wasn't impressed. The premise sounded interesting enough even though it was pretty similar to a bunch of other YA/dystopian/vampire type books.
In The Farm, vampires have taken over the world (is it weird that I want that to happen in the real world? IDK, it just seems like fun), anyway all the teenagers are rounded up into farms because their blood is extra sexy and oh so tasty. Two of...more
Novels On The Run
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 5 BRILLIANT , INTENSE STARS!!

This is a most brilliant, intense read. I devoured this book. I am still hungry and want more.

Throw this on your TBR pile and shoot it up near the top. Emily has a unique take on her blood thirsty ‘Ticks’. It works very, very, well. I am not left with a head full of questions.

The world that is built is alarmingly real and frightening.

JennyJen
*Spoilers clearly marked.

Read that synopsis. Read it. Sounds awesome, no? Killer humanoid ticks. Humans herded like livestock. Vampires. Harrowing escape. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Unfortunately, the execution was mehrp. Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Another creative, super-cool, and unique idea bites the dust. Boo.

caremeter photo care.gif

See, I wanted some of this:

Tick photo tick.png

some of this:

Vamp photo vamp.png

and a lot of this:

terror photo terror.gif

Instead, I got a very boring and angst-y clusterfuck of bad. I can’t say it was too predictable, but that isn’t neces...more
Once Upon
I really didn’t know what to expect when I first picked this book. The cover seems pretty simple but a little creepy, I think. Well, let me tell you, The Farm was an AMAZING book from start to finish. It has a little bit of everything - romance, suspense, vampires, and a tough cookie for a heroine. Oh, and did I mention a hot guy? Yup, it has it all. The story is told in Lilly, Mel and Carter’s POV. The way that Emily wrote it, makes it really easy to follow. I love reading in Mel’s POV. I think...more
David
Jun 14, 2013 David rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who think they're being self-aware by mocking "Twilight"
This is the second book that's been recommended to me because it supposedly has something in common with my book that I should learn from, and it's the second book that's made me want to shoot myself if this is how I'm supposed to write.

Fortunately, it was an eminently skimmable book, and that's how I read it, by skimming large chunks at a time.

So, generic somber-hued-ethereal-girl YA cover. Vampire apocalypse. Ninth grade crush shows up to rescue her. Yeaaaaah. The one single bright spot (or at...more
~Tina~
This was surprisingly great. A different take on vampire lore which I didn't think was possible at this point. I liked the characters and the writing is really addicting. Can't wait to read the sequel!
Merve  Özcan

(Spoiler içerir)
Sihirli Kitap ve Kitap Sayfaları blog sahipleri ile ufak bir okuma etkinliğimiz vardı. Çiftliği okuyorduk ve kitap bitti.
Uzun bir süredir beklediğim kitaptı Çiftlik. Amerikadan öncede okuyoruz, bunun büyük etkisi oldu tabi.
Hayal kırıklığıda beraberinde geldi. Kurgu açısından güzel bir kitap ama ben daha farklı bir şey bekliyordum. Özellikle bu kızların ikiz olduğu ve ikisinin de Abduktura olabileceği kimsenin aklına nedense gelmedi. Sonr...more
Lori
Lily and Mel are twin sisters. They live on a "Farm". The farm is really a college campus that has been converted into an interrement camp for teenagers. They live secluded from everyone else. Choosing to stay in a storage closet in the science building rather than the dorms. Lily takes care of Mel because of her autism. Everything goes smoothly they stay out of the Dean's notice and even have a plan to get out. Well, until Carter comes along and messes everything up.

This book was really, really...more
Lou
You will find that this story does have teenage characters, a possible love interest and vampires not all in the same context and is told successfully and proved to be an enjoyable read for me.
It starts with the narratives of two sisters told in different chapters in a dystopia setting, there is a need to survive, a care and love for each for other, a possible plan to break free, a journey out of to freedom from The Farm.
The story grabs you from the start you have a feeling of the moment and the...more
Heather
Read all my reviews at http://www.flyleafreview.com

4.25/5 Stars

I recently reviewed one of my favorite vampire books, Sunshine by Robin McKinley. One of the things I love most about that book is that the vampires in it aren't the sparkly, vegetarian variety. They are cold, calculating, ruthless, and damn scary. They aren't to be trusted. Yet sometimes it can be a very good thing to have a vampire on your side. Well The Farm is another book that features old school vampires, the dark and dangerous...more
Kenneth Hursh
Conflict is a good thing in a novel, but The Farm is an example of too much of a good thing. It starts out with a cool dystopian setting, teenagers held captive to give blood to feed vampires who have taken over the U.S.

Lily is one such captive who yearns to free herself and her autistic sister, Mel, from their particular blood farm. Lily loves Mel and wants to protect her, but also feels burdened by her (conflict # 1). Suddenly, Lily’s old high school crush, Carter, appears at the farm and sho...more
Marceline
Jun 08, 2013 Marceline rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who need more disappointment in life
Recommended to Marceline by: a very disappointed person
Warning: This contains spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Book, I am very disappointed in you.
The blurb made you sound so amazing!
But... no. No, book. NO.

I honestly had a love-hate relationship throughout reading this. Some parts were amazing, and then the book would drop so low that it would make me want to run headfirst into my mirror.

Some of the big problems I have?

#1: Lily.

I want to punch Lily in her fucking face.
Not because she's capable but gets held down; that isn't her fault (i.e I'll co...more
Liviania
THE FARM starts on the campus of The University of North Texas*, but it's no longer a college. It's, well, a farm. Teenagers are divided into three groups: Greens, Breeders, and Collabs. They're all trying to survive the Ticks, who live outside the electrified fence surrounding the school. The Ticks feed on human blood, and they like teenagers best. Lily and her twin sister are about to age out.

Thus, Lily and Mel plan to escape. There are two major complications. Lily's old crush Carter shows up...more
Angie
A dystopian society caused by vampires? Yes, please! It's no secret that I'm a little (or a lot) obsessed with vampires, and my love of the Dystopia genre is steadily growing, so it's no wonder that I loved The Farm! It even has multiple POVs which just adds to my love! The vampires are also most definitely not the good guys (with the exception of maybe one), which was an interesting and welcome change from the norm.

I really admired Lily. She's managing to take care of herself and her autistic s...more
Michelle  novelsontherun
RATING: 5 BRILLIANT , INTENSE STARS!!

The world that is built is alarmingly real and frightening.

6 months approximately, since the Tick virus, yes, there are vampires in this story, but it is not another vampire story........more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Romance, danger, vampires and a whole lot more! This book was packed full of surprises, twists, and one seriously awesome butt kicking heroine who will do whatever it takes to protect to her twin sister. This book was not at all what I was excepting it to be, it was so much better. When I sat down to read this book I wasn't sure what I should except, and I can tell you I wasn't excepting to be hooked from the get go, to read it in one sitting, and to fall in love with some of the characters. Emi...more
Alex
A small part of me will always be grateful to The Farm because it helped me retain my sanity while waiting for nine some odd hours in line for Hall H at this year's Comic Con. Yes, I read the entire book, start to finish while waiting in that damn line. But that's another story.

There's nothing inherently wrong with The Farm. It's a perfectly acceptable entry in the YA horror catalog. For me, however, I felt the book was possessed of two cardinal sins. First, the author abandons a sweet idea abou...more
Kirsty
The time of whiny, incompetent heroines really won't go away and I wish it would. The Farm is another young adult book, in a long line of young adult books, to throw up lead characters who are a terrible fit, yet somehow are inexplicably drawn to one another.

The concept is good (a post-apocalyptic world that is overrun with genetically modified, blood-sucking humans known as Ticks), but poorly executed (inconsistent with a habit of throwing more and more "twists" into the fray to keep the reader...more
CuteBadger
Lily and her twin sister Mel, who is on the autism spectrum, live behind electrified fences on The Farm, along with other young people. The world has changed and monsters roam the countryside. Lily has prepared herself for their escape, but when a familiar face from the past turns up, her plans change dramatically.

I'm probably not the intended audience for this book (i.e. not a teenage girl) so this may explain why I didn't warm to it. My preferred explanation, however, is that its highly deriva...more
Penelope
This book came out of nowhere!

I had never heard of The Farm, when it appeared on my doorstep one day. To be honest, I wasn't all that interested in yet another story about vampires. Yet I still found myself slipping it into my bag to take to work, in case A Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones book 2) got too heavy for me. It did...and that's how three hours into my shift, I picked up The Farm and couldn't put it back down until I was finished. I was blindsided by this book!

The first thing that caugh...more
Shainna
Bonnie McDaniel
It took a while to get into this book, and my enthusiasm varied throughout. It reminds me of a summer movie blockbuster that keeps you enthralled while you're in the theater, but after the last credit rolls and you've had time to think about what you've seen, the plot holes grow bigger and bigger.

It's set in the near future, after blood-drinking, genetically engineered monsters known as Ticks have ravaged the U.S. (Exactly where 250 million or more people went is not explained, and our heroes s...more
Jenny
This totally would have been a 4 star if it wasn't for ONE thing that messed with the horror vibe and turned into something more paranormal. To me, the best thing this story had going for it was the creepy, gory, psychological, scary stuff. But then this mind-controlling thing is thrown in, permeating the rest of the story, and brought my opinion of it down a notch. I wanted sci-fi/PA/horror and I got an infusion of paranormal, and, though I really liked the story otherwise, I feel a tad disappo...more
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Bastion of the Living
  • The Fury (The Fury, #1)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • Indigo Awakening (The Hunted, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Exit Kingdom (Reapers, #2)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
The Lair (The Farm, #2) Baby Benefits The Tycoon's Temporary Baby (Harlequin Desire) Seduced: The Unexpected Virgin Tempted Into The Tycoon's Trap (Silhouette Desire, #1922)

“His presence makes me feel thin. Not model slender. But worn, like an old cotton housedress. Thin like a specimen pressed between two plates of glass. Like a bug squashed beneath the marching boot of a soldier.

Thin and worn and silence like I've never known.

This is how I know he is not a Tick.

They are as pitiable as they are inhuman. They are fear personified. Their emotions and minds given over to rage and hunger. They are all noise. He is none.

If he is not a Tick, does that make him a Tock?”
8 likes
“What can I say to convince you that I'm on the up-and-up?"
"Why don't you just start at the beginning and I'll stop you when you've won me over.”
6 likes