Start by marking “I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)” as Want to Read:
I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)

I, Jane (In The Court of Henry VIII #4)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  393 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Though her path to the throne was long and paved with treachery, Jane Seymour would win the heart of her king—and heal her own.

Jane Seymour of Wiltshire is not meant to go to Court. Not a child like her, with her lack of beauty and no title. But family connections are enough to have her named to the bridal retinue of Mary Tudor. At the French Court, the plain and docile J
Published September 4th 2012 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about I, Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Jane

Rio (Lynne)
Nov 04, 2012 Rio (Lynne) rated it liked it
History fans know that Haeger rewrites history with a flair of fluff. She can be a good storyteller and if you don't know the truth, you can emerge yourself into her stories. The problem that I have, is when authors take real people and rewrite their history. I know this is an ongoing GRs debate, but fiction or not, I hate to see the facts changed and real people turned into evil, abusive charcters. I know they are turning in their graves, all for the sake of trying to write a juicy book. I'll n ...more
Rachel Swords
Dec 25, 2013 Rachel Swords rated it it was ok
Shelves: tudors
If you're looking for an unofficial sequel to the book "The Other Boleyn Girl," look no further than "I, Jane," which showcases Jane Seymour's rise to the crown. Anne Boleyn is again depicted as a shrew here (why oh why can we not have one book with her and Jane where she's a human being too?), her followers are all idiots, Mary Boleyn is a mousy figure who still pines for the king, and Henry VIII is a flip-flopping fool of emotions. Jane Seymour is written to be very calculating and cunning her ...more
Charlene Vickers
Jul 30, 2013 Charlene Vickers rated it liked it
This was an okay read with many problems.

Pros: Excellent prose, a keen understanding of Jane's possible feelings under the circumstances, and a true representation of Tudor sexual politics and hypocrisies. The writer recognizes that the court of Henry VIII was not that of Queen Victoria - I wish other writers would realize this. I also liked how she brought the tensions and hysteria of the court to life, and how accurately the Seymour mother and brothers are portrayed.

Cons - the characters are
Bonnie-ann
Jun 30, 2013 Bonnie-ann rated it liked it
Incredibly fast summer poolside reading (I'm a fast reader anyway, but I finished this book in 24 hours). I had been wanting to read this series of Tudor fiction for quite some time, but didn't want to listen on audiobook as the reviews complained about the narration. I knew, going in, that the novel was pure conjecture. Any story about Jane Seymour really has to be. She is really only known in the context of her marriage, production of a male heir to Henry VIII and her brothers' later squabbles ...more
Gail
Nov 09, 2014 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-reading
This book is very interesting, and the author certainly worked hard on it. I really liked the historic fiction.I was just fine as long as I didn't think about who it was telling about. I have long admired Jane Seymour and her life, and my opinion is, the book was written well, and a great story, but I just couldn't believe that story was about the Jane Seymour that I have really liked, because of her truthfullnes and careing of other people, her modesty and faith.
I still like Diane Haegers writ
Christena Rulli
Jan 21, 2014 Christena Rulli rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Diane Haeger takes on a journey into the Tudor world from a different perspective. One of Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour. The novel originally starts from Jane on her deathbed after giving birth to Edward and then flashes back into her life growing up at Wolf Hall, her relationship with her parents, and the experiences she encountered that lead her up to eventually capturing the king's heart. You feel pity for Jane as she teased by other children, severely punished by her parents who deme ...more
Hiep Huynh
Dec 18, 2014 Hiep Huynh rated it really liked it
'I, Jane' is the story of Jane Seymour. When one thinks about King Henry VIII's wives, the most popular ones spring to mind, usually first Anne Boleyn and Katherine of Aragon. Not much is known about Jane Seymour, other than that she was the quiet, gentle woman that followed the fiery Anne.

This book takes what little facts are known of Jane's life, and weaves them into an interesting and relate-able story. There are some ideas in it which are very novel and surprising to me. Although they aren't
Hannah
Jul 04, 2015 Hannah rated it did not like it
*sigh* so, I tried really, really hard to like this book, but I couldn't, I just couldn't. It's a shame, really, given that there are so few historical fiction books dealings with Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour. But I just couldn't overlook the historical inaccuracies, one-dimensional characters, and utterly absurd and ridiculous plot line. I was willing to suspend my disbelief over the whole Jane-went-to-France-as-part-of-Mary-Tudor's-entourage thing - who knows, it's not entirely improb ...more
Stephanie Tracy
Sep 24, 2012 Stephanie Tracy rated it it was amazing
This might be my new favorite Diane Haeger novel, though it's hard to say because all of her books are absolutely extraordinary. "I, Jane" was the perfect Jane Seymour story - being told in a way that's very different from any other Jane novel I've read. This novel gave her so much more substance than she is usually credited with. It gave her not one, but two love stories - one that was a little heartbreaking, but sweet and genuine, and one that was powerful, commanding, and unavoidable, but als ...more
Katherine Gilraine
Apr 24, 2013 Katherine Gilraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I love historical fiction and was pleasantly surprised to see this particular book focus on Jane Seymour, one of the lesser-known Tudor queens. I was even more pleasantly surprised to see Diane Haeger's character development enliven the "plain Jane" to someone who, underneath a perfectly unremarkable exterior, was the quintessential observer/introvert. The characterization is instantly relatable, especially by anyone who had ever felt like Jane Seymor had felt: out of her league in an increasing ...more
Amanda
Oct 11, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Cynthia Mcarthur
Nov 01, 2012 Cynthia Mcarthur rated it really liked it
This book proves that even the most ordinary lives can become extraordinary. Growing up as the plain daughter of an embarrassingly ambitious mother, Jane Seymour learns to fade into the background of life, a defense mechanism learned early at the hands of bullies. But far from being a boring character, Jane has a full and rich range of emotions and ideas that come to fruition, growing and changing as she is forced into court life in order to support the hope of her family, her eldest brother, Ed ...more
Helene
Feb 11, 2014 Helene rated it liked it
Poor Jane Seymour... she might have been Henry's favourite wife but she does tend to fade into the background of them all.

I didn't really like the book, mainly because I happen to like Anne Boleyn and she is absolutely vilified in this book, maybe Jane did hate Anne and the author did capture that, its not something I have ever come across before in Tudor Novels or Biographies.

Jane was ultimately brought to the King's attention by the Seymour's lust for wealth and power. I don't think it had an
RumBelle
Jan 03, 2016 RumBelle rated it liked it
Not knowing anything about it, I initially thought this book was about Jane Grey. I later learned it was about Jane Seymour, which I was really happy about, not having read a lot concerning her. I like Haeger's writing, and this did not disappoint. Jane was at time strong, at times vulnerable. She genuinely seemed to love, and somewhat mellow Henry. She gave him the one thing he wanted, and she may have been the only wife he truly cared for.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
I never really liked the character of Jane Seymour in other novels, but this one changed my mind. She is not the most exciting character in King Henry's court (I am still a big Anne Boleyn fan), but this book brought her to life. She is still a bland character but it was an interesting read. I need to read the other books in the series now. Such a fun way to pass a dreary rainy or snowy day.
Amber Vandyke
Jan 15, 2015 Amber Vandyke rated it it was amazing
I had never given Henry VIII's third queen, Jane, much thought. She seemed so insignificant, especially considering the driving force of her predecessor, Anne Boleyn. This book, however, was very interesting from the beginning, taking the point of view that maybe Jane wasn't so insipid, she was in charge of her own life. I really enjoyed this book and finished it in one day.
Linda Lipko
Jane Seymour was the third wife of Henry VIII. When compared to his second Queen, Anne Boleyn, Jane as a polar opposite. Plain, nice, simple, she drew the king to her by her calm, unassuming spirit.

Primarily focusing on Jane's earlier life, a difficult childhood spent at Wolf Hall with a conniving, cold-hearted, manipulative mother and a very passive father, she arrives in the circle of intrigue when Queen Katherine is in the process of being discarded for the alluring, volatile Anne.

Watching a
Sarah Joy
Nov 26, 2014 Sarah Joy rated it it was amazing
While i'm not a big fan of Jane's (Anne Boleyn is my favourite), I found this novel really wonderful. It gave me sympathy for Jane and all she had to deal with when it came to her family's ambition. I really feel bad for what happened between her and William. In those days though, when the king came calling, you had to obey. No freedom to say "no". Women are much luckier now to have a choice. Back then choices were made for you despite your own wishes. A really well done novel, I suggest everyon ...more
Allison G
Aug 15, 2013 Allison G rated it it was amazing
This is the last book in Diane Haeger's series "In the Court of Henry VIII." I'm sad to see it end and would like to know even more about the women in Henry VIII's life. This novel follows Jane Seymour's life from a young girl until just before she becomes Henry VIII's wife. I found it very interesting that the story stops short of her actual time as Queen of England. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Diane Haeger's series - she is skilled at weaving an intriguing fictional story around the fact ...more
Alex
Jul 25, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Diane Haeger's Tudor novels may be historically inaccurate, but I sure do love them anyway.

Even though I don't buy that Jane was anything like she was in this book, I still liked this portrayal of her. She is so boring and one-note in every other historical fiction novel, but she was a real person in this one. I do think the portrayal of Anne Boleyn was way over the top, though.

I'm bummed that this is the last one in the series! I would love to see Diane take on more Tudors in the future.
Elizabeth
Light on history, large on fiction. This was an enjoyable book, though not a very factual one. Even so, I had a hard time putting it down and finished it within a day.
3 stars.
Alantie
Nov 27, 2014 Alantie rated it liked it
So I read another of these books. And loved it just as much. Most writers tend to portray Jane as a weak empty headed girl, so I truly appreciated this author's vision of her. Being a quiet girl in the background myself, I could relate a lot to Jane and loved her loyalty to Catherine even in the face of Anne's rise to power. Again a very enjoyable read, though purists beware, key words are historical fiction!
Priscilla
Sep 21, 2012 Priscilla rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Diane Haeger's writing style. It's easy to follow and you don't really have to strain your self to keep up. Though I will say all the 'twould's and 'twas' did kind of get annoying. I don't recall them in her earlier books so I think that was my only complaint. I know it was common then but it seemed at times she just dropped using them and other times she used them none stop.
Nicole Gerrand
Feb 18, 2013 Nicole Gerrand rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, the first one I have read by this author . Not the best historical fiction I have read but given here are very few novels focussing on the life of Jane Seymour it was a bit of a relief. I must admit to being a Tudor tragic. There was a bit too much poetic license about Jane's supposed relationship with William Dormer and o much focus on her marriage to Henry
Holly
Sep 17, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
It's tough to be both Team Boleyn (which I am) and Team Seymour (which I also am, but to a lesser degree) because regardless of the point of view the predecessor or successor are always painted in a very harsh light. Putting that aside, this is definitely a must read for Jane Seymour fans and Tudor fiction fans in general. There are far too few books about Henry's third wife.
Seonaid Lewis
Jan 23, 2013 Seonaid Lewis rated it liked it
Great read. Haegars version of Jane Seymour should be taken as it is. Much has already been said about how much real historical fact has been interwoven into this story. The balance of fact versus fiction differs from author to author and title to title. Entertaining historical fiction, emphasis on fiction is my verdict.
Sara
I enjoy reading books about the lesser known women of history so there was that enjoyment feature and several choice lines that broke my heart but it was very obviously inaccurate and awkwardly written in how the romance, characters and plot was played out.
I enjoyed this book. Although I am very familiar with Tudor history,Diane Haeger manages to tell the well known story of one of Henry VIII' s queens and still make it interesting and enjoyable. There is the reason Haeger is one of my favorite writers.
Donna
Dec 02, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: have-read
The story of Jane Seymour, Henry VIII's 3rd wife,and married all of 16 months before her death following the birth of a son. Since little is known of her life before her marriage, the book is 95% conjecture. The writing was ho hum.
Jenni
Nov 02, 2012 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'm really liking these novels by Diane Haeger. For a Tudor historical fiction, it's a pretty easy read. If you are looking to be entertained by the story of the Tudors, then her novels are perfect.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 09, 2015 10:27AM
  • The Queen's Pleasure
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • At the Mercy of the Queen
  • The Forgotten Queen
  • The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr (Ladies in Waiting #2)
  • Anne Boleyn: In Her Own Words & the Words of Those Who Knew Her
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • Plain Jane
  • The Six Wives & Many Mistresses of Henry VIII: The Womens' Stories
  • Three Maids for a Crown
  • Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)
  • Her Highness, the Traitor
  • Rival to the Queen
  • The Boleyn Deceit (The Boleyn Trilogy, #2)
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
Diane Haeger is the author of thirteen historical novels, including Courtesan, The Ruby Ring and My Dearest Cecilia. She lives in California with her husband and family.
More about Diane Haeger...

In The Court of Henry VIII (4 books)
  • The Secret Bride (In The Court of Henry VIII, #1)
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)