Start by marking “Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)

Ashes of Honor (October Daye #6)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,866 Ratings  ·  628 Reviews
It's been almost a year since October "Toby" Daye averted a war, gave up a county, and suffered personal losses that have left her wishing for a good day's sleep. She's tried to focus on her responsibilities—training Quentin, upholding her position as Sylvester's knight, and paying the bills—but she can't help feeling like her world is crumbling around her, and her increas ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published September 4th 2012 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Ashes of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes of Honor

Choko
Apr 14, 2016 Choko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.55 ***

A buddy read with the fabulous UF fans at BB&B!

“It’s been a long time since I’ve loved someone, but I know what it feels like. When you turn from me, it hurts. When you think badly of me, I think badly of myself. When you do stupid, suicidal things, I want to slap you upside the head and demand to know how you can be so brilliant and so blind at the same time.” Tybalt’s expression was calm. “If that’s not love, what is it?”

What a fabulous addition to the October Daye series!!! Th
Felicia
This installment bumped this series up to the top of my urban-paranormal series list! I am so invested in the world building and the characters now, and the looming sense that something bad is around the corner. At the same time the romance is real and awesome, but doesn't overshadow the adventure. October is such a great heroine, she's come a LONG way from the first book in the series, that's for sure! Highly recommend it, can't wait for the next! Of all the "Faerie" urban fantasy series out th ...more
Susana
2nd Read: 22/09/15

Still a winner!

First Read: April 25 th (2012)
Can I get a MEOW in Tybalt's honor? :D

WOW, WHAT A STORY!!

Okay, I have to admit that THIS series, is at the moment my favourite urban fantasy series ( in case the fangirling wasn't obvious enough..)
What's there not to like?
We have great characters, great stories, a BEAUTIFUL romance. YES, FINALLY!!!
I think that everyone that has been following this series, knows what I'm talking about! They're so...perfect for one another. I just fee
Ranting Dragon
Aug 21, 2012 Ranting Dragon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garrett

The sixth installment of New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire’s Toby Daye series, Ashes of Honor, returns us to San Francisco and the world of changeling October Daye.

It’s been a year since the events of the previous novel, One Salt Sea, and Toby still hasn’t fully recovered from the personal losses she sustained during that time. She’s been trying to keep her focus on her responsibilities as Sylvester’s knight and putting in hours training her
Robin (Bridge Four)
MY SHIP IS FINALLY SAILING!!!!
description

OK OK so this series really isn’t about relationships. It is much more UF than PNR and there are mysteries to be solved, plots to be uncovered and a dying Faery to save….BUT MY SHIP IS FINALLY HAPPENING….don’t judge me I’m just really excited about it.

TnT (Toby and Tybalt) finally got some traction. There is kissing, some deep conversations, kissing, admittance of feelings and kissing….did I mention the kissing. *happy dancing on a table* That alone is a great reaso
Joanita

13/04/2016 Buddy read with my fellow UF addicts over at BB&B b/c we love this series.

“You can’t save everyone and leave yourself lost, October. It isn’t fair. Not to you and not to the people who care about you.”

It’s been almost a year since the happening of the last book, and at the beginning of this book it would seem that the fae world has finally managed to break our October Daye. After everything she has lost, she has become reckless, having no care for the risks she takes. And all he

Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This is the October Daye book I've been waiting to be written. Things that I have been wanting to see... it's there. In spades. This is book 6 in the October Daye series.

As with the entire series, this is an urban fantasy, not a paranormal romance. The romance is not absent, but it takes a back seat to characters and plot. In my attempt to not spoil anything, all I can say is I am fist pumping in the air like a mofo!

The overall direction of the plot left me a bit worried at first. How many times
Rabidreading
Sooooo worth the wait!

The October Day series is, hands-down, one of the best I've read. It offers everything I love - action, a rich, well-imagined world, and a fabulous cast of main & supporting characters. With the exception of A Local Habitation (which I liked, but didn't love), every book has become an instant favorite, and IMO, Ashes of Honor might just be the best yet.

The story picks up about a year after the events of book 5, One Salt Sea. October is still recovering from everything
Maria Dimitrova
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Toby kicks ass in this high octane addition to the October Daye series.

At this point, six books into the series, we've seen October's character make quite the transformation, both emotionally and physically. From orphaned changeling kid, wandering lost in the human world. To wife and mother, trying to play Fairy Bride. And finally, where we are today; to kickass hero and knight errant to the Duke of Shadowed Hills, friend and ally to the King of Cats and Sea Witch, rescuer of lost kids, acquir
Veronica
I finished my reread of this book and it still ranks as one of my favorites in the series. But rather than an actual review, which I did for my initial read of the MMP version, I thought I'd just jot down some of my favorite quotes from the book. :-)

"You can't save everyone and leave yourself lost, October. It isn't fair, not to you and not to the people who care about you." ~~ Tybalt/October

Every time I was on the Shadow Roads, Tybalt had me, or Tybalt was coming to get me out of the dark. No m
Samantha
Apr 22, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally My ship is together! Still not up to writing reviews, hopefully that will change soon, but so excited!
Suz
Sep 17, 2012 Suz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Perfection. Non-stop action typical of this series, the beginnings of the romance we've all been waiting for wrapped in endearing tenderness and fierce loyalty, and personal growth that can only be called inspiring from a heroine that we've run the gamut with.

This book was perfect, it had it all.
All Things Urban Fantasy
The October Daye series is one of those delicious worlds that becomes more and more beloved with each visit, and ASHES OF HONOR is my favorite of this series to date. Tobey and her squire, the electric Dryad, Tybalt and Raj, Sylvester and May, all of the familiar favorites get page time in this book. Despite the pain and losses of prior books and the mystery central to this one, seeing the support network of friends and family around October makes ASHES OF HONOR a sweet interlude of happiness in ...more
Brad
Oct 09, 2013 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the initial investment in both the world of Ms. McGuire's fae and and Toby, I feel completely justified in becoming a fanboy. Both the characters and the stories are strong, but like most urban fantasy, characters are where everything shines. Toby's losses and gains don't feel stretched. I'm honestly enjoying her new-found powers better than the original under-powered hero that just narrowly escapes certain death. This story continues the feel of larger stakes like the one immediately prio ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Notes:

Cool quote:
Anything that changes the way you feel is habit-forming, as anyone who’s ever dealt with someone who says, “It’s not addictive, really,” while reaching for their next fix can tell you.
Pretty much all homes in SF are at least a million. I live in Seattle and my parents live in an ordinary house probably 2200-2500 square feet in a normal area and several years ago it was appraised at .75 million.

I love that their house is messy and cluttered. Not common for heroines in a novel.
Dr susan
I have Ashes in my hands! Barnes and Noble put it out early! Oh Joy!! I have to finish Jacka's Taken and reread One Salt Sea.....
It is 3am (Sept 3), I am on pg 270, and Seanan McGuire is brilliant. But I have to go to sleep... Finished- I kept finding things to do to delay reaching the end, so it took 4 hours to read 83 pages. I could have given Ashes 5 stars by the end of the first chapter. By the end of the book, I was wishing Goodreads had a 5+ rating. Although McGuire does an incredible job
Marcia
POSSIBLE VERY SLIGHT SPOILERS ALERT!

(NOTE: I'm actually rating this one 5 1/2 Stars, even though it's not an actual option.)

When I finished Ashes of Honor last night, I was dancing on the seat of the Comfy Chair, fist-pumping, and yelling "Yes, YES, YEEEESSSS!!!" I can guarantee that this was not a pretty sight, but what else could I do? The book was definitely a home run for Seanan McGuire, and celebration was required! And for those who have been following this very good series, may I just say
Negine
Aug 28, 2015 Negine rated it it was amazing
LOVED

I've inhaled the book and listened to the audiobook - yes, I'm a bit obsessed - which is how I devoured the first five books, so I continued the tradition. And Mary Robinette Kowal is the voice of Toby for me; she truly brings the characters to life.

Of the numerous Urban Fantasy series I am currently reading the October Daye series has become by far my favorite. Not only did Ashes of Honor solidify that fact but after reading that last chapter? Well, it made me into a fan-girl of epic pr
Li
The not-a-spoiler part: I loved this one. ASHES OF HONOR was worth the wait.

So first off - Tybalt. Obviously. I just... *flails* ah, I loved that he gets page-time in this book, and proper page-time at that. (view spoiler)

But it wasn’t just the romance subplot. One of the main re
Keith
Sep 14, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series roster of characters is perfect; the setting and world-building details are peerless; the plot is awesome. For my money, Seanan McGuire is one of the most talented urban fantasy authors in publication. (And sci-fi! Don't get be started about FEED, which she wrote as Mira Grant. Have you read that? One of my favorite books of all time -- absolutely, utterly, amazingly brilliant stuff. One of the books I recommend often.)

That said.... Oh, man, I really hate giving Seanan McGuire anythin
Julia
Aug 26, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, urban, arcs
The October Daye series is one of those delicious worlds that becomes more and more beloved with each visit. Despite the pain and loses of prior books and the mystery central to this one, ASHES OF HONOR is a sweet interlude of happiness. Tobey and her squire, the electric Dryad, Tybalt and Raj, Sylvester and May, all of the familiar favorites get page time in this book.

I feel a little bad that I am willing to forget Connor so quickly, but Tybalt has always fascinated me. His relationship with O
Angela
Oct 30, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Entertaining read. My favourite book of the series to date. October Daye continues to go from strength to strength and the personal growth is refreshing to see. If you need someone to help you find a missing child or item then Daye is the heroine for you. She won't stop until she achieves her objective.

There are plenty of side characters who each add an element to the story. From Tybalt, always got your back Daye, to May who seems to be making a great personal assistant, to Quentin, the squire.
Andree
Jun 14, 2015 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
My favourite of this series in a while.

A little too much Toby almost dying, but for the most part everything that happens makes sense. Plus we got to revisit Tamed Lightning, with much bonus Blunt!April. Plus there was Quentin and Raj as best friends and brothers in unofficial squire-dom. And Raj... oh Raj... (view spoiler)

And also, this one had all the Tybalt. Whi
Renay
All my patience paid off. YES. >D >D >D

This was great! I love all these characters.
Liv
It's now a bit hard for me to properly write a review for this book, because I waited two weeks before writing it. I didn't want to write it because I was too busy jumping right into the next book in the series to bother sitting down to write the review.

That alone, should be hint enough on how I thought of this book... It was really good, even better than the last!!!

Seriously, I'm getting tired of hearing myself say this, but really, REALLY, this series just keeps on giving and keeps on getting
Jen
I really loved this story. My hopes and dreams came true in it. So even though I don't think I laughed and I only felt teary at the end, I'm giving this story a full five stars. It had so much else to love, after all. ;-)

What were my hopes and dreams? If you're a fan of this series, I'm sure you felt the same. And "the same" means (view spoiler)
VampireNovelFan
A must read for fans of the series!

Ashes of Honor, Book 6 in the October Daye series, takes place about a year after One Salt Sea. Toby has loved, lost, and is now trying to get back to normalcy. Of course, in Toby’s world “normalcy” includes solving cases and facing danger head on. And those who love her most fear that her luck could run out.

She takes on a case for Etienne to find his teenaged daughter, Chelsea, a changeling whose been kept a secret from Etienne for all of these years. Howeve
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
One of the things I love about this series is that once the book gets going, it just keeps on going. Toby and her friends are rarely allowed any down time. Toby's jobs are just too dire. However, they occasionally allowed little small respites, but those usually happen when Toby is unconscious. It should be a bit annoying that things never slow down, but honestly, it just makes me love and admire Seanan McGuire for being able to keep a story going when things are so non-stop. Once again, this bo ...more
Kelly
Feb 04, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
"It sometimes seems like Faerie reserves the hardest choices for the children."

It’s been a year since the events at the end of One Salt Sea — events that left October Daye deep in mourning. Since then, she’s been taking unnecessary risks and feeling directionless in her life. But now a new emergency has arisen that requires her attention. Etienne, a fellow knight of Sylvester’s court, has a changeling daughter he never knew about. He only just learned of her existence because she’s gone missing.
Urban Fantasy Afi...: July 2016 Series Read - Ashes of Honor 3 6 Jul 29, 2016 09:06AM
Reviews for the L...: Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire 7 34 Nov 04, 2012 02:45PM
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Tempest's Legacy (Jane True, #3)
  • The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire...

October Daye (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Stage of Fools (October Daye #9.2)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)

“Why are you telling me this?” I whispered.

“Because we’re probably going to die today.” He waved his free hand toward the street. “I’ve always tried not to lie to you; I’ve seen how you react when others do. Dying without telling you how I felt would be lying. I’ve been patient. I’ve given you time to recognize my feelings, and I’ve seen you choose a man who loved the girl you were, not the woman you are. Now he’s gone, and I can’t be patient anymore. I love you, October. I’ll be sorry if we die here, but I won’t be sorry I helped you… and I won’t be sorry I finally told you.”

“Tybalt…”

“Cats never regret anything,” he said, and he turned and kissed me.”
55 likes
“Tybalt’s what we call ‘Cait Sidhe’— the fairy cats. Which explains the attitude. And the eyes.”

“Meow,” said Tybalt, deadpan.”
31 likes