The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries, #20)

The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel Mysteries #20)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The kitchen staff of the Pennyfoot Hotel is toiling away to prepare the finest meal for the guests on Christmas. And the plum pudding may very well be to die for…

Cecily Sinclair Baxter could use a Christmas miracle. Mrs. Chubb, the Pennyfoot’s housekeeper, must travel up north for a family emergency, and Cecily needs a temporary replacement. The agency doesn’t have much t...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Berkley Trade

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. SayersI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle
Christmas Mysteries
74th out of 227 books — 64 voters
The Snow Child by Eowyn IveyA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Snow Queen by Hans Christian AndersenDark Matter by Michelle PaverThe Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck
Book Vipers' Winter/Christmas Challenge Booklist
158th out of 177 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Larraine
As I was leaving the library a couple of weeks ago, I saw this book with a display of Christmas themed books. I had just read Mulled Murder and really liked it. I've read a few others in the series, but missed this one from last year. They are a quick read with a predictable ending, but with a few surprises. The Pennyfoot's housekeeper, Mrs. Chubb, is called away when her daughter becomes ill. Cecily hires a temporary worker who is very disagreeable. Then one of the guests, an actor, is found de...more
Jessica  Sinn (Chick Lit Cafe)
Read the full review on my blog, Chick Lit Café: http://loonachicklit.wordpress.com/20...

There’s nothing I’d rather do on a cold winter’s night than nestle down into my comfy couch with some fireball whiskey, a tubby gray housecat and a Pennyfoot Hotel mystery. The author does a fine job unraveling just bits and pieces about the eclectic cast of hotel staff and dangling that carrot as their love stories develop. In this book, I finally got to see some sparks fly between Gertie and the enigmatic...more
Fred
The Clue In The Pudding is the 8th book in the Holiday Pennyfoot Hotel series. I look forward to the fall/winter for another enjoyable story about the hotel, not the snow and cold.

The Pennyfoot Hotel is more turmoil than usual, as Mrs. Chubb has been called to her daughters. Cecily has retained Beatrice Tucker to fill in and she is more of a tyrant than Mrs. Chubb. Everyone is walking on egg shells.

Archibald Armitage, of notoriety both on and off the stage, risk his life to save the stable mana...more
Drebbles
The past few Christmases at the Pennyfoot Country Club have been anything but quiet but Cecily Sinclair Baxter is hoping that this year will be different especially since her housekeeper, Mrs. Chubb, has been called away on a family emergency. Unfortunately, Cecily's wishes are quickly dashed as first her staff does not get along with the temporary housekeeper and second a guest at the Pennyfoot is murdered. Although her husband Baxter doesn't want her to get involved, Cecily wants the murder so...more
Marilyn Fontane
Jan 07, 2013 Marilyn Fontane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy lovers. Christmas story lovers
Shelves: mystery, christmas
The 2012 Pennyfoot Hotel Christmas Mystery. Most of the series is delightful and this year's is no exception--far better than last year's. Once again, the servents are almost, if not completely, as interesting as the "main" characters. Cecily Sinclair Baxter runs the Pennyfoot Hotel where every year someone gets killed. In order to keep her guests at the most profitable period of the year, she must solve the mystery before the bungling officials scare them off. Mrs. Chubb, the housekeeper, is aw...more
Amy Lignor
This never before published Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery is an absolute ‘gift’ to readers and fans.

With this tale, the Pennyfoot Country Club is gearing up for the Christmas holidays. However, judging from past years, they probably should close for Christmas seeing as that every year someone has been killed in the beautiful Victorian establishment. But, seeing as how fate works, if anything bad is going to happen, it will - no matter who or what tries to stop it. Therefore…Christmas is on!

Mrs. Chub...more
Linda
Cecily Sinclair Baxter is hard at it, trying to have a successful, uninterrupted holiday season at the Pennyfoot Hotel. But, once again, murder rears its ugly head and Cecily can't help but get involved any time her beloved Pannyfoot is in jeopardy.

When well known actor Archibald Armitage is found dead in his room food poisoning is thought to have done him in but further investigation proves that that was not the case. Someone laced a bottle of whiskey with rat poison and gave it to Armitage as...more
David Caldwell
This is book 20 in the Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery series.

The Pennyfoot Country Club is hoping to have a quiet Christmas season, but the Christmas curse seems ready to strike again. First the housekeeper is called away to look after a sick relative and her temporary replacement is an annoying woman who argues with everyone including some of the guests. One of those guests is Archibald Armitage, a stage actor spending his Christmas at the Pennyfoot. When Archibald is poisoned, The new housekeeper is...more
Judy
I just love reading Kate Kingsbury's Pennyfort Hotel holiday series. Having read all the series I feel like I have come to know the characters and their quirks. Cecily Baxter has the worse luck during the holidays as a murder always comes a calling. She, her husband, friends and staff and some of the funniest guests are on the case, some without realizing what is going on.
Her friend Phoebe, I guess you would call her a program coordinator, is a hoot with getting the Christmas show just right, bu...more
Julie
Jun 10, 2014 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A quaint turn of the century murder mystery at a country club/hotel. Great summer read. I do not need to read others in this series, though if I come across them at the library as I did this one I will pick them up.
Kristi
I don't know, the mystery on these keeps going downhill. There wasn't much to this book. Cecily didn't do much sleuthing, in my opinion. It was more about what Gertie and Pansy (the Pennyfoot maids) are up to. Which was fine, I do enjoy the character development. It felt to me by the end that Ms. Kingsbury is possibly close to ending the series for good, the character stories seem to be coming together for a nice happily ever after. My bet is that she'll publish one more next Christmas and that...more
Sallee
This a typical start of the century English mystery. Cecily Baxter, manageress of Pennyfoot Country Club is preparing for the Christmas holidays when one of her guests is found dead in his room and it looks like fowl play. Cecily tries to keep things quiet so her other guests don't find out and leave in droves, but it is up to her to find out who the murderer is so her business is not threatened. A good cozy, with the feel of Upstairs/Downstairs. An entertaining read.
Christine
Another nice holiday tale set at the Pennyfoot Hotel. The main mystery being looked into by Cecily Baxter is okay, but the sub-plots about the maids Pansy and Gertie and the things going on in their lives that could make this a very special Christmas for each of them is what makes this story. Gertie provides several clues to Cecily and I hope she plays an even larger role in future books in this charming series.
Nancy H
I really like this series, but I am getting a bit tired of the 'murder-at-Christmas curse' theme. I think also in this book that the character of Baxter is developing a bit too much of the 'curmudgeonly' attitude; in fact, someone reading just this book would question why Cecily would even marry someone like him. All that being said, however, it is still a good series and I will continue to read it.
Kalendra Dee
It’s Christmas again at the Pennyfoot Country Club and preparations for a huge gala are in full swing. Unfortunately, the Christmas curse seems to be upon them. A noted actor has been found dead in his room, the victim of poison. When Cecily begins to investigate, she finds that the actor had many enemies, not a few of whom are in residence at the Pennyfoot!
rose
I love Kate's Christmas series, always look forward to November.

This year she did not disappoint, the cast of characters are there, along
with new guests at the hotel

Cecily, Bax and staff, along with C's friends make the books "friendly"
I like that in a series as you feel like you know the characters after
awhile

A very nice Christmas cozy read

Mar

Kathy Moberg
A fun little holiday read -- but I would only recommend it for people who have kept up with the series and are interested in the annual Christmas update into the characters' lives. The books are always fairly predicatable, but that makes them easy to read this time of year when one of interrupted a lot! I did think this was one of the better installments.
Christina
This is the most recent of the Pennyfoot Hotel holiday mysteries. Once again the holidays have brought a murderer to Cecily Baxter's world, and she is trying to track him down before the holiday season is totally ruined. This is a nice cozy for holiday reading.
Grey853
Once again the Pennyfoot staff steal the show. The back stories of the two maids far outshine the mystery itself. I enjoy how Kingsbury is able to bring to life the stories of women in this period Christmas piece.
Darlene Ferland
It is always fun to visit the Pennyfoot Country Club and a Christmas visit is even better. This holiday season sees romance in the workers at the Club. It also has another murder. . .
Sue Moro
Another wonderful cozy mystery at the Pennyfoot hotel! The Christmas curse returns once again, and Cecily sets off to try and find the killer before he can kill again.
Maureen Keimig
I love the characters that Kate Kingsbury creates. She intertwines their own personal stories into the main murder mystery. I really enjoyed it.
Sandi Ross
Typical Pennyfoot Christmas Mystery. Sounded to me as if this one could be the last! The loose ends all seemed to be tied up. We'll see!
Kathy Warren
This was and ok read. A bit to wordy the books end was far to stretched out. Not sure I will read another book in this series.
Roberta
Sophomoric drivel...I read the whole thing but only because I kept thinking that for sure it must get better. Nope.
Susan Rudd
Great read, interesting characters, couldn't wait to finish it. Looking forward to reading more books from the series.
Holly
Was a run of the mill cozy book. Read it in 2 sittings. No major plot changes.
An easy reading book
Maggi Shelbourn
I love these holiday stories and make reading these books during the Christmas Season.
Marcia Harbour
I enjoyed this book . The characters were very likable.
Karen
predictable and sweet....candy for the brain
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Kate Kingsbury grew up in London, England, and at a very early age began telling stories to her school friends during the London Blitz of WW II while huddling in bomb shelters. Kate moved to the U.S. in the early sixties, and had passed her 50th birthday when she published her first book. Writing as Doreen Roberts, (her real name) she published 26 romance novels for Harlequin/Silhouette. In 1991 h...more
More about Kate Kingsbury...
Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1) Do Not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #2) A Bicycle Built For Murder (Manor House Mysteries, #1) Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14) Ringing In Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #16)