Start by marking “Taken (Alex Verus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Taken (Alex Verus, #3)

Taken (Alex Verus #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  8,203 Ratings  ·  348 Reviews
Mage apprentices have been vanishing without a trace—and someone on the council might be involved. Alex Verus has no evidence, no witnesses, and no suspects. All he knows is that someone is keeping tabs on him. And after assassins target his own apprentice’s classmate, Alex sees that he doesn’t know the half of it—and that he could be the next to disappear...
Published August 28th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
81st out of 705 books — 1,202 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
468th out of 2,951 books — 10,385 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Jul 24, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Oh yes! Third in the series and still firing on all cylinders! This really is as good a series as the Dresden Files and I would just love to see Alex Verus team up with Harry Dresden to wipe the floor with all those nasty Dark Mages. Sorry. I have only just finished the book and I am still a bit excited:)
Seriously, if you like this genre then this is a series for you to read. Verus is a delightful character - not one of those out to kill everybody type heroes, but more of a thinker and a planner
Tim The Enchanter
Top Shelf Urban Fantasy - 5 Stars

Benedict Jacka raises his game in the third installment of the Alex Verus series. After a shaky start to the series, he has produced a book I can gladly display next to my favorite Urban Fantasy novels by Jim Butcher, Ben Aaronovitch and Larry Corriea. I have a soft spot for the wizard/mage who honestly attempts to solve a mystery. As in the early Dresden novels, the mystery and the investigation that takes centre stage. Taken first and foremost tells a great
Brad
Oct 30, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
Solid read that's building on the precognition premise, this time revolving around missing mage apprentices from both the light and dark camps. All are taken without a trace.

What can go wrong?

Well, for starters, Alex can pick up a few stragglers who might just want to go just as independent as he, for one. And we can do it all in the middle of a mage tournament he would never have considered attending, if he hadn't been forced to do it for the investigation.

Oh, and Luna is getting beast. Gotta
Mike (the Paladin)
May 26, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
I've had this on my currently reading list for a while, thought I ought to get around to reviewing it.

These are joining my favorites list. I think the first Urban Fantasy I ever read was Harry Dresden. I burned through the ones that were already published then and have snapped up each as it's been released since. It also set me off on trying to find other UF books or another UF series that I'd like as well. Mostly I've been disappointed. I find that a huge percentage of what gets labeled urban f
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5
I could probably find a couple of nitpicks if I tried really, really hard. But I won't. I had so much fun reading this book that I don't even care if there are any.

The main premise is simple enough: mage apprentices have been vanishing and Alex is asked to find more about it. As this is the third book in the series, it's not surprising that nothing is that simple when Alex Verus gets involved. There isn't a single boring or even slower moment here.

The best part? There are so many surprises
Scott
Aug 26, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I feel one of the best compliments I can give an author is that their work continuously gets better, and that is definitely true of Jacka. He writes a wonderfully tight story, with great pacing, and lots of interesting characters.

This is most certainly becoming a favorite, and after the end of this book, I can't wait to see where it goes from here!
Felicia
May 23, 2013 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Continue to love this series, I just LOVE IT. Urban Fantasy at its best, so great to see that by book three I'm still dying to know more about the main character, the world, and everything. I guess the relationship between Alex and Anne is a BIT odd, like someone gave the author a note about what direction it should be, but other than that, love this series!
Slategrey
Jan 11, 2013 Slategrey rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite of the Verus books so far - the writing seems to be developing a sparseness that appeals to me, and the world-building aspects were definitely kicked up a notch this time. I'm also finding the characters more sympathetic and relatable with each book, which is slowly making this one of my favorite series.

Unfortunately, the ending was rather spoiled for me since the final setting, villain, and several scenes were extremely similar to those of the manga "Ghost Hunt", p
Mandapanda
Nov 19, 2014 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Persistence is paying off with this series. Alex is very slowly becoming more appealing as a hero and the growing cast of secondary characters are interesting. From the beginning I've enjoyed the myth-building behind this series. It makes sense and is different enough from everything else to make it feel unique.
Mark
Feb 24, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
These just keep getting better, just the right amount of tension and ending on a high.

keeps me looking forward to the other books to come.
Leontii  Cristea
Sep 19, 2012 Leontii Cristea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taken is the third Alex Verus book—and so far it’s been my favourite. I began Taken with a pinch of salt: I’d not enjoyed Cursed very much at all and I was afraid that, for me, the series was slowly heading the way of the dodo. Thankfully, that didn’t happen and I’m going to stick around for more news of subsequent Alex Verus books. Handy, really, since Benedict Jacka commented on his blog earlier today about just this.

Cursed was a boring, predictable flop for me, especially having had a few mon
Ami
When Talisid approaches Alex for a case -- mages have noticed apprentices vanished without a trace (or proofs) -- it takes Alex and his apprentice Luna to Fountain Reach, where magic tournament called White Stone is held. On top of the missing apprentices, one of Luna's classmates, Anne, seems to be having a death target on her back...

------------

With magic tournament and secrets inside a wall, I can't help thinking about Harry Potter in this one :). I keep wondering whether the winner of the to
Red Wolf
Feb 20, 2016 Red Wolf rated it it was amazing
I have trouble praising books, I much prefer to criticize them cause it's easier. So that is what I will do. I have seen many reviews about books that say, " I couldn't put it down", "I read all night", etc. That is my complaint with this book. I have typically 5-8 books on my currently reading list. Some are very good others are ok. I have books on my phone, tablet, computer, and actual books in the bathrooms. The book I have in the second bathroom gets the least attention. The last time I read ...more
Aya
Jan 07, 2016 Aya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Verus: 3
This book seemed less put together than the previous. There's a lot of things going on, a huge cast of characters, and several plot threads running all over the place. The author manages to tie most of the threads together by the end, but still leaves a few hanging. On the plus side, Luna wasn't acting like a spoiled brat in this book. A good read, but not on par as the previous two.
Charlie
There's just something really addictive about this series and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Yet again, a super enjoyable book in the series and I'm excited to see what Alex gets up to in future adventures.
Chip
Sep 10, 2012 Chip rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Nah. Done with these. Just too silly/inconsistent/illogical. I highlighted a bunch of annoying stuff when kindling it, but not bothering to check back through that now. Sorry folks.
Ranting Dragon
Dec 28, 2012 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it
Shelves: garrett

Taken is the third installment in British author Benedict Jacka’s urban fantasy series centering around a wizard named Alex Verus. Having run-ins with experienced battlemages and coming out victorious seems to boost one’s reputation. Such is Alex Verus discovering. Where a few months ago he was a relative unknown in the supernatural circles, Alex is now drawing the attention of some powerful players. As a very competent diviner—a mage who can see into the
Richard
In full disclosure I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Taken is set several months after book two, Alex Verus’s fame is growing which is both good and bad, Luna is now his fully fledged apprentice and training with the light mages.
Alex is approached by a mind-mage Crystal wants Alex to work for her to help keep an upcoming Light tournament that she is hosting safe, something doesn’t feel right so Alex declines.
Alex visits Luna while she is in class and meets some of her friends (and enemies)
Pctrollbreath
Sep 07, 2012 Pctrollbreath rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book continues a series that impresses with it's quality.

In this book, Alex continues to grow as character and starts to become a lot more confident in himself and more focused in his motivations, becoming a much more rounded protagonist. We meet some old friends and enemies as well as a few new ones, which look to be ongoing members of the Verus cast. The characters are three dimensional because the author has taken care to make sure that everyone has there own motivations and interests. T
Candace
Sep 19, 2012 Candace rated it really liked it
This is the third book in this series and I loved it just as much as I loved the first two. This is a book sort of along the lines of Harry Dresden and is kind of a 'boy' book in the urban fantasy genre. I tend to like the 'boy' books as they have less sex, a male main character, and there's plenty of action. And Alex is one of my most favorite characters because he feels so real. He's afraid at times and he says so, he knows he can't win every fight and tries to avoid them, but when he can't he ...more
Nicole
Dec 17, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Ruth
Oct 05, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
c2012: FWFTB: invitation, apprentices, tournament, threat, elusive. As I dig out the words from the FWFTB it struck me that they could equally describe some of the Harry Potter books. Thank Heavens that you can rest assured that they are nothing alike. The third volume in the Alex Verus stories is definitely a great addition with Verus' character becoming a little more kick-ass. I was getting a bit concerned at his whining that he was much weaker than any of his adversaries but in this book he ...more
JPerceval
Oct 02, 2012 JPerceval rated it it was amazing
In this third installment of Benedict Jacka's excellent series about diviner mage Alex Verus, readers are taken into the world of Light apprenticeship – and learn, once again, that the lines of good and bad do not necessarily run parallel with the division between Light and Dark mages.

Taken is fantastically fast-paced and well-written. Jacka introduces new characters and nuances in Alex's world flawlessly, giving readers a meaty and exciting plot revolving around a strong central character with
Ade Couper
Oct 13, 2012 Ade Couper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, 2 Alex Verus novels in a week - was it worth it?

This time Alex is on the trail of missing apprentices - who's been taking them ? What does Lord Jagadev have to do with the disappearances , & what is his connection to Anne & Variam ? & what is the secret of Fountain Reach & the Aubuchon dynasty....?

Again , the atmosphere that Benedict Jacka creates is 1st-class - the writing really gives you the feel of a scene. Most of the characters (with the exception of Lord Jagadev , wh
Imran Kashem
Mar 30, 2016 Imran Kashem rated it it was amazing
Another awesone book by Benedict Jacka. Apart from excellent story telling, his books' are full of twists and interesting turn of events and Taken has plenty of these. Among the first three this is the best. Alex Verus is portraited uniquely with all of his abilities to fight, to protect and to find out the truth. I couldn't enjoy Fated and Cursed fully as there were some loose ends but after reading Taken I have a feeling of completion as it doesn't leave any question unanswered. This is the ...more
Dr susan
Aug 31, 2013 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, read-again
"There was a chorus of screams, one of which might have been mine." A reader has to love a man who admits in a grammatically correct sentence that he girly screamed. And that same reader needs to remember that laughing out loud in public is a hazard of reading the Verus books. I finished Taken and went straight to Jacka's website, with my fingers crossed, to check for news of Verus #4 and found it! The new characters are great; Luna's abilities are growing; the horror is less quiet, and the ...more
C.R. Richards
Sep 14, 2012 C.R. Richards rated it it was amazing
The books in this series just keep getting better and better! I was so engrossed in this book as I read it on the airplane, I didn't notice we were about to land. When the wheels touched down during an especially intense part in the book, it scared me so bad I elbowed the poor guy next to me!

Benedict Jacka continues to develop his Alex Verus character, making him a likeable and engaging character in which the reader can identify. Love this series!
Feb 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series is a fun urban fantasy with interesting politics and a quick tempo. One of Jacka's great strengths lies in the cutthroat society of mages he's created, in which it's never clear who the good guys are (if there even are any). There's never a dull moment, and if it sometimes feels like characterization and character growth suffers as a result, that's only an issue in retrospect. While I'm reading, it's one big, intense adventure.
Christine Rains
Nov 05, 2012 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
Alex Verus is a mage to keep your eye on. He defeated a great battle-mage and he is merely a diviner. Apprentices are disappearing and someone thinks to set Alex up for the crime. Will he be able to survive the assassination attempts and rescue the apprentices?

My short synopsis doesn't do this book justice. It's just as great as the previous two. Fast-paced and original. Stunning characters. A well-written series.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy.
Anne
Sep 23, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
like this series a lot...and am delighted to know there will be more tho I have to wait a year.

urban fantasy
mage who is outside the mainstream
giant spiders finally get good press...love the character of Arachne...bespoke tailor to the magical world
familiar elements of fantasy are here made new and vibrant,even the Indian sub-continent magical additions
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)

Alex Verus (8 books)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)

“Whoever had designed the block of flats had obviously worked to a clear set of priorities. Unfortunately, while cost, size, and low-maintenance had made it to the top of the list, aesthetics, good escape routes, and shelter from gunfire hadn’t.” 1 likes