Start by marking “Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)

Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #8)

EEK-EEK-EEK! Mrs. Brisbane is missing!

Humphrey has always investigated things, like why Speak-Up-Sayeh was so quiet and Tall-Paul and Small-Paul didn't get along, but this is a true mystery--Mrs. Brisbane is missing! She just didn't show up in Room 26 one morning and no one told Humphrey why. The class has a substitute teacher, called Mr. E., but he's no Mrs. Brisbane. Hum
Published July 5th 2012 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published January 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mysteries According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysteries According to Humphrey

Mehsi
I finally found some "new" parts from this series in the new library I subscribed to. I really love Humphrey and I do hope that one day I will be able to read them all!

In this volume we got various things happening. We got mysteries, Halloween, substitute teacher, a mysterious disappearing (which to the rest wasn't so mysterious or disappearing) and of course one cute and very smart hamster.

Humphrey was brilliant again, I love how he thinks and how he tries to help the class, or how he participa
Brenda
Oct 13, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
One day Mrs. Brisbane was reading an exciting Sherlock Holmes mystery, The Red Headed League, to the class and is teaching the students of Rm. 26 to be word detectives. The next day she was missing. Humphrey doesn’t understand how this could be. When she left the night before she said “See you tomorrow.” She’d never broken her word before.

Mrs. Brisbane is gone. Mr. E is the substitute teacher who doesn’t seem to be teaching or helping his friends learn. Humphrey must help them on his own. He mus
Ellie Brillhart
Apr 29, 2014 Ellie Brillhart rated it it was amazing
I read this book at the library in the little kids section while waiting for my sister. Even though it was for younger kids it kept me at the edge of my seat. Humphrey the hamster is always going on adventures in the classroom (for he is a class pet). I give this book five stars because it was very good and I am proud to say I will be reading the rest of the series. I recommend this book to any kids or someone young at heart.
Hedwig
Oct 08, 2015 Hedwig rated it it was amazing
If you love hamsters you will love this book from a class hamster's presprective.
Chloe
Nov 13, 2016 Chloe rated it it was amazing
It was the best book I ever read apart from Harry potter
Karen
May 12, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read together with my second-grade son. That Humphrey is rather smart, and quite charming.
Madalyn (Polaroid Books)
The Mysteries According to Humphrey... Ahh, it will forever be a mystery to me.

Honestly, I read this book because I haven't been to the library in a month. I mean, reading skinny punch books has actually been a treat for me. I have almost read ten books this month. That is a big accomplishment for me. The Mysteries According to Humphrey wasn't a treat, it was a mystery that I will probably never solve because I am not a detective.

The Mysteries According to Humphrey is about a hamster and he supp
Beth G.

A mystery is like a puzzle. It can be something unsqueakably scary, like a thing that goes THUMP in the night.

Synopsis: It's hamster Humphrey's second year in room 26 of Longfellow School, and by the beginning of October, he's getting to know his new classmates. Mrs. Brisbane has just started reading "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League", and Humphrey is just as disappointed as everyone else when she stops in the middle of the story to move on to another lesson. Disappointment turns to dism
Dolly
Nov 28, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Irene
Oct 19, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
I enjoyed this book. I think it's one of the best in the series!

As the title indicates, there's a mystery in this installment. One morning, Mrs. Brisbane does not show up for school, and no one knows why! All the humans find out the reason soon enough, but nobody thinks to tell Humphrey. To him, it's "The Case of the Missing Mrs." The class has a substitute called Mr. E. ("Mister E", "mystery", get it?), and it's also a mystery why he continually leads the class in games instead of teaching the
Cassidy
Sep 05, 2012 Cassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
146 pages
Realistic Fiction
By Betty G. Birney

Mysteries According to Humphrey is the 8th Humphrey book! It is about a classroom hamster, Humphrey, who lives at Longfellow School in Room 26 - Mrs. Brisbane's room. He observes his classmates and tries to help them through their problems (like Be-Careful-Kelsey, who Humphrey helps to become more careful). But one day, Mrs. Brisbane goes missing! Their substitute, Mr. E (which Humphrey pronounces MYSTERY) doesn't teach them anything, plays games all d
Tomoya Sugiyama
Apr 20, 2014 Tomoya Sugiyama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PUFFIN BOOKS, Humphrey series, (just 1st and 2nd contents)

4/21=70min.

Humphrey, class, mystery, word, piewhacksion, missing, Mrs.

"I can understand why someone who teaches children to play games would love rules, because rules are very important to games."
I like these sentences, because I can agree this opinion. It was been explaining that rule is important. But I think it refers to about not only games but also our lives. In our lives, it is important to keep rules. I guessed that sentence tried
Beverly
Nov 14, 2012 Beverly rated it it was amazing
The Humphrey books are one of my favorite elementary grade series. The books are always well written and are just perfect for elementary students. They are a quick read and make an excellent class read a loud. Students will be entertained by Humphrey’s antics. Adults will appreciate the lessons he teaches (and students won’t mind either as the lessons are relayed in a very kind friendly way).

Kids who are just getting into mysteries will enjoy the mystery of the missing teacher in this latest ins
Betsy
I guess I can see why these are so loved by children, but this is a good example of a book that kids might love, but which doesn't translate well to this (old) reader :-).

I usually enjoy talking animal stories, but Humphrey's repetition (SAD-SAD-SAD) is a bit too much. In addition, I felt that his observations on life in his classroom were a tad bit teacher-y. I'm not sure kids would pick up on that, but things were a little too convenient for me. A little too telling, not enough showing. Cute e
Takuya Kitaura
Dec 18, 2013 Takuya Kitaura rated it really liked it
-Penguin Books
-Time 12/28 30min 12/30 40min 1/3 30min
-7 word summary classroom-pet-hamster-smart-detective-solve-cases

-Discussion question

One smart hamster called Humprey loves the book of Sherlock Holmes. He loves detective things so much.

Q. Have you ever yearned for detective such Sharlock Holmes?

A. Yes, I have. Detective must be smart and cool. There are many detective books and movies. Everybody can enjoy them as if they are detective.

This book is so interesting because main character is a
Diane
Mar 23, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
After Mrs. Brisbane doesn't show up for school, Humphrey vows to solve the mystery just like Sherlock Holmes would: by looking and listening for clues. There are other mysteries in the classroom that Humphrey tries to help solve: Why doesn't the substitute teacher, Mr. E., seem to teach anything? Why won't Joey spend time with Thomas? Why is Phoebe so forgetful? Once again, Humphrey is unsqueakably clever and charming, though his inferencing skills need some work. What a great read aloud to demo ...more
Alexis
Sep 17, 2014 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Humphrey is one of the cutest hamsters in my point of veiw. In this book Humphrey helps a couple students with their bad habits like forgetful Pheobe and be careful Kelsey. Humphrey also goes on daring missions beyond the limits of his cage! At the end of the week Humphrey, the classroom hamster goes home with a classmate for the whole weekend! Oh, and Mrs.Brisbane, the teacher of Room #26 reads The Redhead League which inspires Humphrey to solve the tricky mysteries that bother his human friend ...more
Amanda
Apr 01, 2015 Amanda added it
Shelves: took-back, 4th-grade
audio book. Narrator adds nothing, but I don't mind as much as my husband :).

references the case of the Red headed League by Arthur Conan Doyle which is awesome. I just read the Sherlock Holmes canon in the last few years and that one is great for kids to get interested in the classics. the whole Humphrey series is great, but this one is starting out my favorite.

Didn't finish because my son read ahead. I'll enjoy revisiting this one with my other kids when they're older.
Juliette Molina
Oct 20, 2014 Juliette Molina rated it it was amazing
EEK! miss Brisbane is missing from room 26! Beside solving all the mysteries about his friends this is a REAL BIG mystery! Is miss Brisbane going off to ballet school? I loved this book aspeshily all the CRAZY ideas Humphrey gets in his small mind. This golden classroom hamster is really funny! Mr.E will never fit miss Brisbane's shoes.NEVER!
Deb
Sep 12, 2015 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-readers
This was my first Humphrey book, read as a read aloud in my third grade classroom, and It has created a whole bunch of new Humphrey fans. Humphrey really sees things how they are in school and the kids loved hearing about his 'lock that doesn't lock' and his adventures to solve problems and mysteries.
Elaine
Feb 14, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Another great installment. I loved the mystery theme that went throughout this book, in so many ways-the new substitute, the book they were reading, the decoding of unknown words. Very cute and cleverly done!
Angela
Jul 30, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks, mysteries
Humphrey is always adorable! This time the classroom teacher is reading Sherlock Holmes to the class and Humphrey is eager for mystery. He gets his wish to be a detective when the teacher goes missing!
Great Books
Jun 07, 2012 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-9-11
Humphrey, the class hamster, is always investigating. When Mrs. Brisbane, the student's teacher, doesn't show up for class it's a true mystery for Room 26. Humphrey has just learned about Sherlock Holmes and vows to collect clues to solve the disappearance of Mrs. Brisbane.
Yvonne
Jan 24, 2014 Yvonne rated it really liked it
I love Humphrey books. They always bring a smile to my face. This is also a good read aloud book so grades 2-5. Good book to use for teaching context clues, drawing conclusions, and most of all vocabulary. Yea Humphrey!
Sophie Muller
Dec 16, 2016 Sophie Muller rated it it was ok
I somehow couldn't enjoy this book in the series. I believe I was bothered by the extended misunderstanding of expressions related to healing and dancing. It just frustrated me, and took my attention away from a very well-thought situation with the substitute teacher.
Kim
May 20, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
Since Abraham's class has a pet hamster that we got the "privilege" of keeping over spring break, my kids have loved Humphrey. Abraham has read several, but this was the first we read out loud together. It was cute and fun and all 3 boys loved it.
Dayna Gartland
Sep 28, 2015 Dayna Gartland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great suspense hilarious

I recommend this book to people who like suspense and talking animals. The plot twist has comedy yet lots of wonder!
Maximilian Lee
Nov 02, 2016 Maximilian Lee rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I like mysteries. I also liked this book because I like hamsters.
Tiffiny
My 11-year-old son is loving this series!
Bubba
Aug 04, 2013 Bubba rated it it was amazing
Twenty thousand stars. I love love loved this book. My favorite part is when Mr. E. comes in.
  • Penguins
  • Traps and Specters (The Secret Zoo #4)
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Penelope Crumb (Penelope Crumb #1)
  • Princess Posey and the Next-Door Dog (Princess Posey, #3)
  • Harry the Homeless Puppy
  • Cam Jansen and the Wedding Cake Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #30)
  • Judy Moody and the Bad Luck Charm (Judy Moody, #11)
  • Lovable Lyle
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)
  • June Jam (Calendar Mysteries, #6)
  • Goblins
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • The Whites of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #3)
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)